Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plumbella is mostly what SOME OF US feel...

1234568...Next

Comments

• thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 696 Member
    edited February 2020
    I don't care if people get hot tubs or anything else that we got from a different pack for free, as long as it's not the same exact thing without any modifications, which isn't the case here. I do think it's a weak gift for the 20th anniversary celebration and that they should've done something more to make it special, but other than that I'm not bothered.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    It is an interesting observation that you assumed that I play the game in this way. You only earn my ire when you marginalize others. I am hoping that we see less of this in the community moving forward. I understand that this hope is an unrealistic expectation.

Oh great more condescension.

It was a joke. Not an attempt to marginalize or victimize you or anyone else. It’s not personal.
    Exactly. Was trying to share articles that are tongue to cheek too. Why I think Tiny Living was a very good pack at showing reality of living in small spaces. Sims 4 having small spaces and lots I think was a way to appease players that play realistically rather than playing in a fantasy world of supernaturals and large houses. From the comments I read from Sims 4 players it is really on point how many Simmers don't know how to build on 50 by 50 lots and larger. Sims 4 being focused on 40 by 30 lots and smaller supports the reality of the millennial life style of apartment and dorm lifestyle. I don't see it as a bad thing with the article pointing it out. But I guess reality hurts? I don't know.

If only that were truly true. We can't build apartments outside of San Mysuno. *SOBS* I really wish they could find a way to update it so we can build them in any world. I like the mixture of ownable homes, rental homes, and apartments. How it was done is Sims 2.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    If only that were truly true. We can't build apartments outside of San Mysuno. *SOBS* I really wish they could find a way to update it so we can build them in any world. I like the mixture of ownable homes, rental homes, and apartments. How it was done is Sims 2.
    I would too. Those are still the best apartment designs in the Sims 2. At least we can somewhat mimic apartments now since the Uni release with roommates. Plus nice with Tiny Living with apartment living now too. I would love a retirement community with buildings and RVs even to build real apartments again. It gets really limiting with the hidden lot design shells with apartments and Sixam for my building needs. Then again true sandbox games like Minecraft offer more for control than the Sims 4 anyday. It is something I struggle with greenhouses and houses too with Stardew Valley are the indoor design limits. It is like I am a big fish in this tiny fishbowl. It limits my creativity.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Well, technically, they haven't actually all been working on the game for 20 years, and EA definitely (and luckily) hasn't owned it for 20 either. So the 20th anniversary shouldn't be about the devs working on the game today, but about the game. I don't really see why we should applaud them for doing their jobs (especially since they apparently don't "crunch" too much which still baffles me given the production environment they work in, but whatever) on the day the Sims has existed for 2 decades. I think the task of celebrating their own work anniversaries is a company thing, not a gaming community thing.

Just wanted to touch on the comment about "crunch". In the programming/gaming world, crunching equals working overtime, to the point of physical and mentail exhaustion, just to finish things on an irrational deadline. Not a good thing, not something that should be the norm or seen as an achievement.
    Companies get frequently slammed for forcing their employees to do just that (and the criticism is completely deserved), so the Sims management working on not doing that is not something to be sneered at. Working reasonable hours doesn't mean they're not working hard enough. (granted, billionaire CEOs probably think otherwise)

They did have their own celebration, in house, fwiw.

Yes not just in gaming, in nearly all production environments (trust me, I know from experience :joy:). But it's actually almost unavoidable if you a) set high standards and b) have very strict deadlines - which again, nearly all production environments of this type do. But people who aim to push out the best possible product with the highest level of quality and least amount of bugs rarely ever have enough time to do that within the time constraints they're working in .. so they tend to... crunch. Whether it's in games, animations and other 3D work, graphic design, ... I've rarely met any people in these industries who didn't work overtime. Not because their bosses forced them or because the company lowkey expected it (i.e. they feared they'd be fired if they didn't), but because they simply don't like putting their name on something they don't believe is close to the best it could've been. As opposed to what you may believe, many people in creative industries are more demanding of themselves than their bosses are of them. So I find it weird to hear them say "huh we don't crunch" when they're continuously delivering products with huge amounts of bugs and careless craftsmanship (like .. you know .. telling us we can sell potions but not actually checking that they have a price, or releasing a pack with a photography career that is almost unplayable).

In my humble opinion, I'd rather the game be made by a company that thinks ... like this:

qTVtlZX.png

Yep, I’ll never forget the heartfelt thank you letter from CD Projekt Red that shipped with The Witcher 3. It was the first time I’d ever seen a classy gesture like that, and it has gone a long way (along with their impeccable work) toward earning my trust as a consumer. It wasn’t something they had to do. They already knew they had a sure fire hit on their hands, but they did it anyway.

1259450483908004930.png
    ConcernedApe is so sweet and humble on Twitter too and supportive of the mod community.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1223341748274909184

https://mobile.twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1220407295667920896

It is why I nominated them for best continued support with the Steam awards. Such as inspirational guy for anyone to strive for that you can make great things even from your bedroom. Interesting how his one game has raised expectations not only in the indie market, but AAA market so much so that Indie Games are able to compete equally with AAA games. I am so proud of them seeing the underdog succeed to be a great gaming legend.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited February 2020
    So_Money wrote: »
    Well, technically, they haven't actually all been working on the game for 20 years, and EA definitely (and luckily) hasn't owned it for 20 either. So the 20th anniversary shouldn't be about the devs working on the game today, but about the game. I don't really see why we should applaud them for doing their jobs (especially since they apparently don't "crunch" too much which still baffles me given the production environment they work in, but whatever) on the day the Sims has existed for 2 decades. I think the task of celebrating their own work anniversaries is a company thing, not a gaming community thing.

Just wanted to touch on the comment about "crunch". In the programming/gaming world, crunching equals working overtime, to the point of physical and mentail exhaustion, just to finish things on an irrational deadline. Not a good thing, not something that should be the norm or seen as an achievement.
    Companies get frequently slammed for forcing their employees to do just that (and the criticism is completely deserved), so the Sims management working on not doing that is not something to be sneered at. Working reasonable hours doesn't mean they're not working hard enough. (granted, billionaire CEOs probably think otherwise)

Yes not just in gaming, in nearly all production environments (trust me, I know from experience :joy:). But it's actually almost unavoidable if you a) set high standards and b) have very strict deadlines - which again, nearly all production environments of this type do. But people who aim to push out the best possible product with the highest level of quality and least amount of bugs rarely ever have enough time to do that within the time constraints they're working in .. so they tend to... crunch. Whether it's in games, animations and other 3D work, graphic design, ... I've rarely met any people in these industries who didn't work overtime. Not because their bosses forced them or because the company lowkey expected it (i.e. they feared they'd be fired if they didn't), but because they simply don't like putting their name on something they don't believe is close to the best it could've been. As opposed to what you may believe, many people in creative industries are more demanding of themselves than their bosses are of them. So I find it weird to hear them say "huh we don't crunch" when they're continuously delivering products with huge amounts of bugs and careless craftsmanship (like .. you know .. telling us we can sell potions but not actually checking that they have a price, or releasing a pack with a photography career that is almost unplayable).

In my humble opinion, I'd rather the game be made by a company that thinks ... like this:

qTVtlZX.png

Yep, I’ll never forget the heartfelt thank you letter from CD Projekt Red that shipped with The Witcher 3. It was the first time I’d ever seen a classy gesture like that, and it has gone a long way (along with their impeccable work) toward earning my trust as a consumer. It wasn’t something they had to do. They already knew they had a sure fire hit on their hands, but they did it anyway.

1259450483908004930.png

Yeees! That's how it's supposed to be done 🥰

Agreed about ConcernedApe too @Scobre, I like following him. Also Cory Barlog whose video about the GoW reviews brought a tear or two to my eyes.

And that's the point I guess. We know developers can be very different, incredibly passionate about their work, very attached to and in tune with their communities, and genuinely grateful for their support. At least that's what their words and actions are telling us.

But EA, that "birthday gift" definitely spoke louder than any of your words ever did. And quite frankly, shame on the company for throwing its employees to the wolves, because I'm sure some of them would want to do more than they can. So, give them the budgets they need to make an excellent game, or maybe, think of passing the torch to someone else.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member

LMAO this one is a hilarious amalgam of journalism trends. “ Home comforts: how The Sims let millennials live out a distant dream. Today’s young people are flocking to an egalitarian utopia where home ownership is available to all.”

Ah yes, of course, I forgot that is why I play The Sims. 🤣🤣🤣

Actually, I dont disagree with that article. I've seen many people say they use the sims as an escape or to play out a life they dont have. I.think its the reason why so many want complete control over the games to.the point it effects others gameplay. They dont want death, consequences, disease, hardships, story progression etc in life simulators cause they cant control it in the real world.
    giphy.gif

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,527 Member
    edited February 2020
    Wow, the fact that she literally re-made the ugly hot tub with already exciting build stuff in 10 seconds was just.....it really emphasizes just how pathetic this anniversary 'gift' was.

I agree with her and the other game changers that have talked out how disappointing this is. This was the worst way to have an anniversary for a 20 year long series. There was no effort, no love, no honor, and no respect for the series as a whole or to the community who have allowed it to last as long as it has.

I missed the part where she built her own hot tub, and I still haven't seen it, but this bugaboo has inspired me to go into the game and check it out. I haven't played since mid December.

I have to say thanks to EA and Plumbella for inspiring me to create my own.
    You have way more options if you build it yourself. The really cool thing is you can save it as a room and never have to build it again.
    02-10-20_9-19-57nbspAM.png

One downside is columns disappear if you get close to them, but this could also be a benefit because they don't block your view.
    02-10-20_9-20-28nbspAM.png

You have more roof options if you build it yourself.
    02-10-20_9-20-58nbspAM.png

To be fair, you can jazz up the gift hot tub too, but you are limited to one wall height, columns, and roof.
    02-10-20_9-27-02nbspAM.png

I won't use theirs. I would rather do it myself.
    02-10-20_9-33-05nbspAM.png

However, I feel this is just a bad object to celebrate the 20th anniversary.
    02-10-20_9-33-34nbspAM.png

Unless programming has changed, it's not an object your sims use. They hop out at the first distraction.
    I have never seen a sim get in one on their own. I rarely use them.02-10-20_9-33-47nbspAM.png

If they had offered three more iconic hot tubs from The Sims, The Sims 2, and The Sims 3, yeah that would be cool and make sense.
    This isn't just the 16th, 17th, 18th anniversary, it's the 20th, which feels more significant. If The Sims is lucky to see another 20 years, there may be simmers that will not live to see it.
    02-10-20_9-34-26nbspAM.png

I will have to test this in the daytime though.
    These sims were sleepy and are heading off to bed. It would have been funnier to see them nod off in the hot tub and I would have to make them get out and go to bed.
    02-10-20_9-34-57nbspAM.png

I really like my hot tub though, so I will probably still have them around and have more fun building them.
    02-10-20_9-35-41nbspAM.png

However, when I did save this one as a room, the fascia and roof didn't save.
    I will have to add them each time, but that's not a big deal.
    02-10-20_9-38-51nbspAM.png
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Hmm, I've actually been playing The Sims franchise for closer to 30 years....I played SimCity's first iteration on Nintendo. Yep, I am that old. When I think about how much money I've spent, I literally shudder. I should've just saved up my money to buy extra toilet paper, hahaha.

I'm not mad that the hot tub was given out. It's nice when the folks who can't afford all the packs get free stuff. I do feel sorry for folks in the same boat as one commenter I saw. "I just bought Perfect Patio last week--boy, am I steamed...." :o I feel you, man.

I can't even work up that much of a lather about it being the anniversary gift. Honestly, similar stuff happens so much that I'm at the point where I almost think they're trolling us. They're playing the goofball husband shuffling into the living room with a re-gifted anniversary present. "Oh, whatsa matter, honey?" "What's the matter?! I bought you this neck massager last year for your birthday--that's what's the matter!!"

The fact that they used the same graphic with the gnome with the "15" on his hat says it all. And it's not that they've never pulled off really nice free content. I sincerely doubt they're lazy, or evil, so I really don't know why it happens. But, I'm not going to waste brain cells trying to figure it out. I guess I'll just put it down to corporate culture.

Happy 20th The Sims Anniversary, everyone! :mrgreen:
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited February 2020

qTVtlZX.png

"Also, there will be lots and lots of crunch. Because screw our employees". (Not mentioned in the text).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Again, people who are sore about the free hottub because they paid for it...? I don't get that. At all.
    Also, the devs doesn't owe us anything. There is not a single legal or moral obligation for a dev company or game publisher to give out free stuff for anniversaries. It's a gift, enjoy it.
    People who expected more, do you also expect Netflix to gift you two months free if you have subscribed for 5 years? Do you expect your favorite artist to release a free album to celebrate the fact that he or she has been signed to a record label for 20 years? Yet people always expect game companies to do things like giveaways etc.

Again, I have very little trust left for EA. But I try to only complain about things that really makes sense.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    She doesn't speak for me. I don't expect ANYTHING for a game anniversary. The free tub was a nice gesture.

Stop with "tHiS iS hOw We AlL fEeL!" No, it isn't. Don't speak for me. Speak for yourself.

Tend to agree with you. I've had 20 years of enjoyment of these games, plus Sims Golf, the Sim Cities plus and feel more like I should give them a present. It's their birthday after all, not ours. :)
    I stopped using Netflix and switched to Disney Plus actually because their service did get worst as their prices continued to increase @Beardedgeek. For music people use Pandora or Spotify these days or Amazon or Google music. Again Simmers don't owe anything either. It is an equal exchange, so anyone who has some sense of business knows how exchange of goods work. Nothing is never free especially with the Sims. It is interesting seeing Maxis compared to service businesses when they actually sell goods not services which is treated completely different and why neither party owe each other anything. You buy something you get it end of story. Gurus did promise both on Twitter and their live stream that hot tub would not be released apart from that pack, so that is a sense of false advertising. So if anything I think how marketing has been handled during the Sims 4 iteration is one of the worst I've seen in any business. My best friend worked for marketing and accounting, so sadly know him as a developer kind of rubbed off on me and was so proud of him when he got number one game. It just looks extremely bad Maxis when customers tear each other apart and I've seen it throughout the five years and beyond when the Sims 4 was just an online concept like how the Sims 5 is now. I guess goes to show Sims main iterations should never attempt online. It never leads to positive results. But yeah people who complain about others tend to make a lot of noise regarding the game being too hard or supernaturals being annoying or the number of packs slowing down their computers or the game going 64 bit. Sometimes you just got to let people vent and not get so negative about venting within reason of course. There are some extremes like death threats against Simmers and Gurus that go too far. It honestly just makes me miss those side games so that people who want more kid friendly games and laptop friendly games could play the Sims Life Stories or the Sims Medieval. I just hope they bring them back at least for the community's sake.

Anyways I really enjoy your build @CK213 for the hot tub. I like the look of it much better and nice use of the clear roofing. People using objects in creative ways always inspires my builds like how DrGluon uses the Spa Day slab object to build the most amazing things. Thank you for showing something positive with this update and ideas to make better looking hot tubs.
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    edited February 2020
    Boy oh boy is EA sure smart. Like dogs coming back again and again. This franchise is being more adulterated with each iteration. What's being sold to Sims gamers is now particleboard product with a good-looking veneer. I'm hoping and rooting for some competition in this genre. It'll be hard though I hope nonetheless. That recent survey provides an inkling of hope and nothing more.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    gnelso1239 wrote: »
    Boy oh boy is EA sure smart. Like dogs coming back again and again. This franchise is being more adulterated with each iteration. What's being sold to Sims gamers is now particleboard product with a good-looking veneer. I'm hoping and rooting for some competition in this genre. It'll be hard though I hope nonetheless. That recent survey provides an inkling of hope and nothing more.

;) Paralives is looking very promising so far...can even customize every object of clothing etc with the color wheel.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited February 2020
    gnelso1239 wrote: »

;) Paralives is looking very promising so far...can even customize every object of clothing etc with the color wheel.

Promising, yes. But there’s a long way to go. Still, competition is always a good thing and every single person here should be crossing their fingers that it fulfills its ambitions. And with increasingly strong crowd support behind it, it’s going to have a chance.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    So_Money wrote: »

qTVtlZX.png

1259450483908004930.png

CD Projekt Red have a great reputation and unlike some companies, they have made it clear they aren’t out to screw over their loyal fans. EA really should take note. I thought the thank you note was a really nice gesture, I was pleasantly surprised when I opened my game and found that in it.

qTVtlZX.png

"Also, there will be lots and lots of crunch. Because screw our employees". (Not mentioned in the text).

I’m not sure what one has to do with the other. Two examples of CD Projekt Red interacting with fans doesn’t equate crunch. But even if there is some crunch involved, that doesn’t change the facts that people feel let down by EA for their gift of a hot tub we already paid for and can easily be made in game. Sure, you can argue they don’t owe fans anything but it’s their twentieth birthday, something that they wouldn’t have reached without fans staying loyal to them. The “gift” is like some one re gifting you the bubble bath set they got for Christmas but don’t like. There was no thought put into it at all. No nod to the last twenty years, just they hot tub people paid 10 bucks for with a roof added. They may as well have given fans the middle finger.

Plus in the gaming industry, crunch is pretty normal at times. My Husband is a game dev for a major AAA studio. So sometimes he works long hours but that’s the job and lots of people in lots of different industries work long hours. My sister works twelve hour shifts as a nurse for example.
    edited February 2020
    Whenever I heard don't owe us anything, well that's true, Maxis doesn't treat us like family or friends. We are nothing more than a paycheck to them. Just a means to an end and the anniversary proved that.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited February 2020
    Whenever I heard don't owe us anything, well that's true, Maxis doesn't treat us like family or friends. We are nothing more than a paycheck to them. Just a means to an end and the anniversary proved that.

I don't expect them to treat us like family or even friends I think thats asking a bit much
    I do think some of the people that work maxis really do want to make people happy
    also giving free stuff doesn't make people friends
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,527 Member
    Anyways I really enjoy your build @CK213 for the hot tub. I like the look of it much better and nice use of the clear roofing. People using objects in creative ways always inspires my builds like how DrGluon uses the Spa Day slab object to build the most amazing things. Thank you for showing something positive with this update and ideas to make better looking hot tubs.

I hope we get a builder's Stuff Pack full of architectural style objects.
    I think making these kind of hot tubs might become a thing for me.
    02-10-20_1-15-14nbspPM.png

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2020
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I mean I guess the title change in this thread is a step in the right direction. But you are still band-wagoning and claiming a general sentiment which is kind of cheap rhetoric. Why not just "I agree", and go from there? Again - speak for yourself, not others. And why not just lead with your actual objections? Why make it about some YouTuber? This feels disingenuous and manipulative.

I'd have been fine with a 20th Anniversary T-shirt in CAS.

Complaining about FREE content when, in fact, one isn't owed ANYTHING just seems tacky and entitled.
    Well the Sims 4 is an entitlement game in which all Sims are treated like spoiled brats where nothing bad happens to them, so the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. So I am not shocked at the reaction of the game that represents the players themselves.
    May I remind you of this forum rule?
    Don't be rude. No matter what your feelings are about other people, EA Forums aren't the place to attack another person. That includes public figures, EA employees, or other forum users.

The fact people have an opinion other than yours doesn’t mean they’re spoiled brats. Nor does the fact they like a certain game make them identical to the characters in that game, nor are they represented by them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SimmingTrechelSimmingTrechel Posts: 1 New Member
    @OEII1001 We all know what you did last weekend. Quit being mean! @drake_mccarty thank you for being a hero to us all. I love playing the Sims. Sims 4 Life!!!!! (tm)
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    @Scobre and @drake_mccarty Wow y'all been the real crew. I'm distressed to have the ire on me from everyone who blocked me. Thanks to @simminngtrechel.
    edited February 2020

I don't expect them to treat us like family or even friends I think thats asking a bit much
    I do think some of the people that work maxis really do want to make people happy
    also giving free stuff doesn't make people friends
    True. I just think things in the community went downhill when the whole YibSims thing meaning best friends which was pointed out on MTS: https://modthesims.info/archive/index.php?t-510461.html

Also thanks @JoAnne65 true that was a bit harsh of me to say. But I do think it is wrong with the marketing programs to hype up the games to unrealistic expectations, then get mad at the community when those expectations aren't met. It's just wrong and yes the current iteration teaching that nothing goes wrong and you can have anything your heart desires and nothing bad happens does teach players how to not cope when bad things do happen like this anniversary. Games like Sims 3 inspire us and the life simulation aspect I think did help us grow as people and with having both good and bad traits, it gave people a more realistic viewpoint in life. The Sims 4 teaches you that all Sims are the same and must be happy all the time and exactly like each other. I just don't think it is a good life lesson to teach and ends up in intense disappointment. Sims 4 is just not realistic and it isn't a fantasy either. It is just a bad teaching tool.