Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

NEW UPDATE?!

Comments

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2020
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    Maybe it's my twitter feed, but I don't see any personal attacks against him? Someone called the 20th anniversary a big fat flop, and he said something about stop body shaming his flops (which is pretty obnoxious right there). Then someone else complained about EA, and he said the corner comment.

He probably should be quiet, because both those answers, at least as they appeared in my feed, were pretty inappropriate.

They brought up Weinstein, comparing the gurus to a sexual predator.

No, they did not. They brought up that EA (not the gurus) was voted most hated company along with Weinstein's company (and another I won't name here). I'm not saying it was a great comment (it was not) but come on. And it was after the body shaming comment.

Come on now. There's a reason they used that specific company, and it isn't about contract disputes.

But at that point, it was clear they were talking about EA, not the gurus. As in, "EA, the company that was voted..."

And yet, it was directed to a guru. Why are you defending this?

I'm not. I've repeatedly said that the post wasn't good. That doesn't mean that the quote they were replying to was okay. Because that also was not. And the difference is one of those comments was coming from an official company account when people are, rightly or wrongly, upset.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    Oh dang, I think I made things worse. RIP, sorry. 🙏

I feel you 😕
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Maybe it's my twitter feed, but I don't see any personal attacks against him? Someone called the 20th anniversary a big fat flop, and he said something about stop body shaming his flops (which is pretty obnoxious right there). Then someone else complained about EA, and he said the corner comment.

He probably should be quiet, because both those answers, at least as they appeared in my feed, were pretty inappropriate.

No, they did not. They brought up that EA (not the gurus) was voted most hated company along with Weinstein's company (and another I won't name here). I'm not saying it was a great comment (it was not) but come on. And it was after the body shaming comment.

Come on now. There's a reason they used that specific company, and it isn't about contract disputes.

But at that point, it was clear they were talking about EA, not the gurus. As in, "EA, the company that was voted..."

And yet, it was directed to a guru. Why are you defending this?

I'm not. I've repeatedly said that the post wasn't good. That doesn't mean that the quote they were replying to was okay. Because that also was not.

Maybe we should leave the dev alone then. This community is out of control. I reiterate what I said earlier -- there are lot of people who need to unplug for a few days and calm the plum down. We are talking about a video game here.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Kind of weird, and by weird I mean predictable, that the community isn't calling out the person that did the bad thing, but rather heaping scorn on the dev. And, perhaps, he was the one dev that was responsible for the best stuff in the game, and who regularly interacted with people on this very forum.

Maybe the community should aspire to be better than this. Or maybe not; perhaps this is the way now. In that case, welcome to League of Legends.

I mean, yeah it's bad that a fan gives personal attacks to a dev, but the dev should not react like this on his company account. It is so not professional and looks like children insulting each other on YouTube or something. 🤦‍♀️ Also, fans pay money to buy the packs, which in return indirectly somehow gives the devs a job and a salary, so he shouldn't try to sound so entitled.

This is just my two cents tho. I know if I were working for a company and getting hate like this, I would just keep quiet as much as I love writing sarcastic replies. 😂 Cuz I won't just be representing myself, but also representing the company.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited February 2020
    Either way, my biggest point was that talking about this has taken focus on the reason why we're all here: the bad anniversary and why people are feeling insulted by it. I feel bad for driving things away from OP's original intent. But I shoulda just focused on that, though RIP
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »
    Kind of weird, and by weird I mean predictable, that the community isn't calling out the person that did the bad thing, but rather heaping scorn on the dev. And, perhaps, he was the one dev that was responsible for the best stuff in the game, and who regularly interacted with people on this very forum.

Maybe the community should aspire to be better than this. Or maybe not; perhaps this is the way now. In that case, welcome to League of Legends.

I mean, yeah it's bad that a fan gives personal attacks to a dev, but the dev should not react like this on his company account. It is so not professional and looks like children insulting each other on YouTube or something. 🤦‍♀️ Also, fans pay money to buy the packs, which in return indirectly somehow gives the devs a job and a salary, so he shouldn't try to sound so entitled.

This is just my two cents tho. I know if I were working for a company and getting hate like this, I would just keep quiet as much as I love writing sarcastic replies. 😂 Cuz I won't just be representing myself, but also representing the company.

We're talking about probably the best dev on the team getting likened to all sorts of reprehensible things because people are mad about a video game. There's no "but her her emails" here.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2020

Edit: Again, I am NOT saying the comment was okay. I do not think it was. But I also think his first comment was inappropriate and inflammatory and his second was dismissive. From a company account. In the middle of a PR storm. Best to stay off twitter.

If it is not okay, then direct your ire at the person who made it, not the victim of the comment -- especially since that victim has been one of the most effective and communicative devs.

I think HIS comment, the first one, about the body shaming, was 100% inappropriate. I didn't see the comment in reply so much as aimed towards him as EA so yeah. All I know is as angry as people are, they really need to be very careful just for PR reasons. Comments that would normally seem playful often won't be seen as such by an already upset fan -- or stan as the case may be.
  • Options
    Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    You do agree, but in a way that tries to diminish me. I know that I wasn't standing with my nose on the glass at my local retailer on Feburary 4th, 2000. I bought the game a few months later, when I came to said local retailer looking for a copy of Janes F/A 18 to play with my friends. There was this copy of a game with people who you could make and play. I bought it instead, since no copies of the title I was looking for was there. That wasn't on release day. I'm not a Real Simmer (TM). I should not speak of Simmer Things (R). Regardless, I still think what people are doing to the dev in question is pretty lousy.

That’s literally not what @Beardedgeek was saying at all. In no way did their comment attempt to diminish you. Simmers who’ve been with the game since the beginning will have a different point of view on the series than someone who joined later. They just gave their point of view.

In relation to me, you actually are a Real Simmer (TM) as I didn’t join until around 2012. Furthermore, there’s no such thing as a non Real Simmer (TM). We’re all simmers equally.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    "Don't body shame my flops" was in reply to Jesse and she seemed fine with it and countered with a sims 5 remark.
    Sounded all in fun until the "shame on you" remark.

I'm done now. I don't blame anyone for being upset with the anniversary. I'm disappointed as well however again personal attacks are wrong. I hope you all get what you want someday. Maybe with Sims 5 you never know. Happy Simming.

This exactly.

The point is, every human being is responsible for themself and their own behavior, no matter how upset they are, and likewise, every human being deserves to be addressed with respect.

Context: Ninja's comment was part of an exchange with Plumbella, a Game Changer, who continues to respectfully and constructively criticise Maxis/EA's habits and decisions, including the anniversary and how it was handled. She has, no doubt, in the past, met and spoken with Ninja in person, understands his humor better than most players, and took no offense because the initial joke was between them and not meant for others. But some other person, still being salty about things, as many of us are, couldn't stand to see a Guru making a joke about it and picked a fight. The quick response was most likely meant to also be humorous, (as he did give a more serious, albeit standard, follow-up response of "I hear ya",) but came off as snarky and now all of Twitter is in a frenzy over it.

While I do think that some in the community can at times be inappropriately dramatic, rude, and/or too easily offended, I also think that Ninja, still representing the company on public social media, should be careful at this time when so many players are upset, and act with a little more diplomacy both for the community's benefit, as well as his own. In essence, he kind of "stuck his foot in it". But if Maxis would just address or acknowledge the issue, it could help to relieve some of the player hurt.

We'll probably hear something about it in the coming week. If we don't, things could continue to escalate like this, which isn't good for anyone.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    While I do think that some in the community can at times be inappropriately dramatic, rude, and/or too easily offended, I also think that Ninja, still representing the company on public social media, should be careful at this time when so many players are upset, and act with a little more diplomacy both for the community's benefit, as well as his own. In essence, he kind of "stuck his foot in it". But if Maxis would just address or acknowledge the issue, it could help to relieve some of the player hurt.

Well said.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Edit: Again, I am NOT saying the comment was okay. I do not think it was. But I also think his first comment was inappropriate and inflammatory and his second was dismissive. From a company account. In the middle of a PR storm. Best to stay off twitter.

If it is not okay, then direct your ire at the person who made it, not the victim of the comment -- especially since that victim has been one of the most effective and communicative devs.

I think HIS comment, the first one, about the body shaming, was 100% inappropriate. I didn't see the comment in reply so much as aimed towards him as EA so yeah. All I know is as angry as people are, they really need to be very careful just for PR reasons. Comments that would normally seem playful often won't be seen as such by an already upset fan -- or stan as the case may be.

I think it was more of playful self depreciation, and not shaming people. The remark that followed it was wholly inappropriate. I'm not sure why we're shielding that sort of thing, which is to say that I am exactly sure why we're shielding that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    You do agree, but in a way that tries to diminish me. I know that I wasn't standing with my nose on the glass at my local retailer on Feburary 4th, 2000. I bought the game a few months later, when I came to said local retailer looking for a copy of Janes F/A 18 to play with my friends. There was this copy of a game with people who you could make and play. I bought it instead, since no copies of the title I was looking for was there. That wasn't on release day. I'm not a Real Simmer (TM). I should not speak of Simmer Things (R). Regardless, I still think what people are doing to the dev in question is pretty lousy.

That’s literally not what @Beardedgeek was saying at all. In no way did their comment attempt to diminish you. Simmers who’ve been with the game since the beginning will have a different point of view on the series than someone who joined later. They just gave their point of view.

In relation to me, you actually are a Real Simmer (TM) as I didn’t join until around 2012. Furthermore, there’s no such thing as a non Real Simmer (TM). We’re all simmers equally.

I'm not a Real Simmer (TM). I'm simply not angry enough. I enjoy The Sims 4. I think the devs care about the game and are decent human beings. I'm not interested in petty rivalries and pitting one game against another. I just like to be happy, and to pass that happiness onto others.

I can never be such a thing.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited February 2020

I'm not a Real Simmer (TM). I'm simply not angry enough. I enjoy The Sims 4. I think the devs care about the game and are decent human beings. I'm not interested in petty rivalries and pitting one game against another. I just like to be happy, and to pass that happiness onto others.

Maybe don't always turn discussions into what you think other simmers/forum users "think of you"? Really no one said or meant anything like that, it's okay for you to be happy and it's okay for others not to be. Not everything is that personal 🙄
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Maybe don't always turn discussions into what you think other simmers/forum users "think of you"? Really no one said or meant anything like that, it's okay for you to be happy and it's okay for others not to be. Not everything is that personal 🙄

There's nothing personal about the facts here. The guru in question was treated unfairly. That I am scorned has no real relevance.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Regardless of the context, this isn’t the first instance where I have felt a distinct insouciance coming from a Guru.
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    The response was unwise. Having said that, it in no way excuses the harassing tweet. Neither side comes off well.
  • Options
    The response was unwise. Having said that, it in no way excuses the harassing tweet. Neither side comes off well.

I think that my problem with that statement is that it equates "I'll sit in the corner" with "you represent the evils of this world". The individual in question does not represent the evils of this world, and the responder in question is unquestionably in the wrong.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,918 Member
    I was going to read the twitter thing, but after I read all comments here I did not wanted anymore.

Just a reminder, no matter what the job or title of the person/persons have, or how "professional" they should act on public, they still are humans, not bots. And I am pretty sure .. at least most of us have had the moment when emotions take over common sense. I mean you say something you should not say, but there you go, you say it anyway, because at that moment, you just have to say it. Many times you regret it tomorrow..

And, I am NOT defending anyone, not a Guru, or GameChanger or player like I am, as I repeat , I did not read the thing, just saying what came to my mind and from my own experience. Sorry.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    Just a reminder, no matter what the job or title of the person/persons have, or how "professional" they should act on public, they still are humans, not bots. And I am pretty sure .. at least most of us have had the moment when emotions take over common sense. I mean you say something you should not say, but there you go, you say it anyway, because at that moment, you just have to say it. Many times you regret it tomorrow.

I think that the thread could be succinctly closed on your remarks. Well done, and thank you.

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

I'm not a Real Simmer (TM). I'm simply not angry enough.
    I enjoy The Sims 4. I think the devs care about the game and are decent human beings. I'm not interested in petty rivalries and pitting one game against another. I just like to be happy, and to pass that happiness onto others.

I'm sorry but 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    I laughed but that was a sad statement because of the meaning behind it. And I hate to admit how true it is. 😔😔
    And I agree with everything. I seem to be one of the rare few here who loves the sims 4. And the guru in question. Who interacts with us more than any of them did not deserve that. Now imagine he goes quiet and we have no one to really interact with us the way he does? Something else for everyone to get angry about I guess..😖
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options

I'm not a Real Simmer (TM). I'm simply not angry enough.
    I enjoy The Sims 4. I think the devs care about the game and are decent human beings. I'm not interested in petty rivalries and pitting one game against another. I just like to be happy, and to pass that happiness onto others.

I'm sorry but 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    I laughed but that was a sad statement because of the meaning behind it. And I hate to admit how true it is. 😔😔
    And I agree with everything. I seem to be one of the rare few here who loves the sims 4. And the guru in question. Who interacts with us more than any of them did not deserve that. Now imagine he goes quiet and we have no one to really interact with us the way he does? Something else for everyone to get angry about I guess..😖

Your remark is awesome indeed. It's not a question of liking Game X or Game Y. IT's a question of humanity. Do we acknowledge the humanity in others or not? Thank you for your post.
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    The real 20th Anniversary present was this entire controversy. It’s really become the gift that keeps on giving 🤣🤣
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

I feel disheartened by that comment because it makes it seem as if he is underestimating the community or treating us like children. It’s not professional at all for an employee to respond in such a way under a sensitive topic.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Sim Gurus I don't hold any of you responsible but personally I want something that is going to blow my mind. I can't speak for every simmer out there but I think we all want to wowed and fall in love with the game over again. I don't mind buying whatever stuff pack, game pack or anniversary expansion pack created as a celebration. Even if it's a limited edition with so many digital and physical copies available. If it's a little more and loaded with content I'll gladly preorder it and I rarely preorder anything for Sims 4.

I think the hot tub is kind of cute and a little cheesy. But that is ok because I wasn't expecting wow factor anymore even though it would be nice.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    20 years of dramatically plunging content quality and we get... an ugly hot tub?
    The reskinned paid for already by players hot tub being given out for free instead of developing a new object for the aniversery is on theme of years of dramatically plunging content quality.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top