Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

NEW UPDATE?!

Comments

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    In my personal opinion I don't see anything wrong he said. Since this whole anniversary thing started I've seen some pretty innaproitate tweets,personal attacks and nasty things said to him. He's the most upfront with the community so he gets the most blame of course. He made one sarcastic comment. But the community has made "many". It made me sick the way the community lashed out. I think he has the right to throw out ONE sarcastic comment. And I know he has heard many hurtful things. But of course people only care about themselves. :s
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    In my personal opinion I don't see anything wrong he said. Since this whole anniversary thing started I've seen some pretty innaproitate tweets,personal attacks and nasty things said to him. He's the most upfront with the community so he gets the most blame of course. He made one sarcastic comment. But the community has made "many". It made me sick the way the community lashed out. I think he has the right to throw out ONE sarcastic comment. And I know he has heard many hurtful things. But of course people only care about themselves. :s

Okay, first of all, he's on a work account so representing EA. But second, the Sims itself prides itself on diversity, but then a member of the team, speaking from a company account, falls into making a comment that could easily be seen as mocking the body positivity movement. Jokes like that may be okay among friends depending on your circle, but they can also be hurtful to people who are genuinely struggling with this. It's a comment that could hurt, and probably did hurt, simmers who play the game to escape that type of mockery.

And while I am not defending anyone who is being a jerkface to a company and its representatives (not at all), his comments are inappropriate in many circles, and he is representing the company who right now is having a bit of a PR nightmare.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member

Being snarky with an already agitated and ruptured community doesn't strike me as wise.
    As I've said, people may be being harsh, but they're feeling ignored. The developers lack of engagement and reaction has only made things worse and for a member of the team to make this kind of comment, at this time, amongst these players, is not going to make things easier.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    "Don't body shame my flops" was in reply to Jesse and she seemed fine with it and countered with a sims 5 remark.
    Sounded all in fun until the "shame on you" remark.

I'm done now. I don't blame anyone for being upset with the anniversary. I'm disappointed as well however again personal attacks are wrong. I hope you all get what you want someday. Maybe with Sims 5 you never know. Happy Simming.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Felicity wrote: »

Okay, first of all, he's on a work account so representing EA. But second, the Sims itself prides itself on diversity, but then a member of the team, speaking from a company account, falls into making a comment that could easily be seen as mocking the body positivity movement. Jokes like that may be okay among friends depending on your circle, but they can also be hurtful to people who are genuinely struggling with this. It's a comment that could hurt, and probably did hurt, simmers who play the game to escape that type of mockery.

And while I am not defending anyone who is being a jerkface to a company and its representatives (not at all), his comments are inappropriate in many circles, and he is representing the company who right now is having a bit of a PR nightmare.

I feel like this wouldn't happened if he just kept his mouth shut. I agree they already are SUPER vague with us, and when we do get something OUT of them, it comes off as a jerk and rude.
    edited February 2020
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    "Don't body shame my flops" was in reply to Jesse and she seemed fine with it and countered with a sims 5 remark.
    Sounded all in fun until the "shame on you" remark.

I'm done now. I don't blame anyone for being upset with the anniversary. I'm disappointed as well however again personal attacks are wrong. I hope you all get what you want someday. Maybe with Sims 5 you never know. Happy Simming.

The funny thing is I don't even care -- I'm certainly not part of the angry mob. I don't have even have Origin installed on my machine atm, much less Sims 4. I just don't really see the "shame on you and EA" comment as personal while I do see his remark as potentially hurtful to many people as it's a common bullying comment I see on social media. I don't like angry mobs. But there are times it's far better than to just be quiet. Also, my twitter feed may be missing some posts because I see the "shame on you and EA" comment directly after his.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Kind of weird, and by weird I mean predictable, that the community isn't calling out the person that did the bad thing, but rather heaping scorn on the dev. And, perhaps, he was the one dev that was responsible for the best stuff in the game, and who regularly interacted with people on this very forum.

Maybe the community should aspire to be better than this. Or maybe not; perhaps this is the way now. In that case, welcome to League of Legends.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited February 2020
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Kind of weird, and by weird I mean predictable, that the community isn't calling out the person that did the bad thing, but rather heaping scorn on the dev. And, perhaps, he was the one dev that was responsible for the best stuff in the game, and who regularly interacted with people on this very forum.

Maybe the community should aspire to be better than this. Or maybe not; perhaps this is the way now. In that case, welcome to League of Legends.

I was here on day one. This community is way better than say Bioware's old community page or Blizzard's official forums but yeah... I am quite harsh on the devs too, but mostly when it comes to the slow bug fixes. But personal attacks? That's a huge nope.
    And I still think the over-hyped reactions for the anniversary are expecting way too much.

Quite frankly this whole hot tub mess makes me think of myself at a much younger age where I threw the socks I got for Christmas under the living room couch because I wanted more lego, 🐸🐸🐸🐸. (Mom was not amused).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

I was here on day one. This community is way better than say Bioware's old community page or Blizzard's official forums but yeah... I am quite harsh on the devs too, but mostly when it comes to the slow bug fixes. But personal attacks? That's a huge nope.
    And I still think the over-hyped reactions for the anniversary are expecting way too much.

Quite frankly this whole hot tub mess makes me think of myself at a much younger age where I threw the socks I got for Christmas under the living room couch because I wanted more lego, plum. (Mom was not amused).

I wasn't "here" one Day One. I was, perhaps, here on Day Fourty-Three. That makes my words of no value, and I should not give them. Regardless, I think that the dev in question responded more than appropriately to an incredibly offensive remark.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited February 2020
    Maybe it's my twitter feed, but I don't see any personal attacks against him? Someone called the 20th anniversary a big fat flop, and he said something about stop body shaming his flops (which is pretty obnoxious right there). Then someone else complained about EA, and he said the corner comment.

He probably should be quiet, because both those answers, at least as they appeared in my feed, were pretty inappropriate.

They brought up Weinstein, comparing the gurus to a sexual predator.
  • Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member

Did you miss those above saying they don’t condone what was said by the community either?

I will agree that the community can and should aspire to be better, but that includes less of your condescension toward other members as well.
    Barbie430 wrote: »

Did you miss those above saying they don’t condone what was said by the community either?

I will agree that the community can and should aspire to be better, but that includes less of your condescension toward other members as well.

They're still passing blame on the victim in this case. I don't think that this is cool. Your mileage may vary.

Quite frankly this whole hot tub mess makes me think of myself at a much younger age where I threw the socks I got for Christmas under the living room couch because I wanted more lego, plum. (Mom was not amused).

I wasn't "here" one Day One. I was, perhaps, here on Day Fourty-Three. That makes my words of no value, and I should not give them. Regardless, I think that the dev in question responded more than appropriately to an incredibly offensive remark.

I think you misunderstand me. I agree with you.
    edited February 2020

You do agree, but in a way that tries to diminish me. I know that I wasn't standing with my nose on the glass at my local retailer on Feburary 4th, 2000. I bought the game a few months later, when I came to said local retailer looking for a copy of Janes F/A 18 to play with my friends. There was this copy of a game with people who you could make and play. I bought it instead, since no copies of the title I was looking for was there. That wasn't on release day. I'm not a Real Simmer (TM). I should not speak of Simmer Things (R). Regardless, I still think what people are doing to the dev in question is pretty lousy.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    edited February 2020
    I think people are waaaaaay overreacting to both tweets. Like, "shame on you" is mildly pointed, but it's not targeted harassment, super scathing or vicious as people are making it out to me. It's bantz, and I've seen way worse on these forums. It's barely a step up from "big doodiehead," imo. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Buuut I also think Ninja should be free to banter, even if now isn't really the best time. He tried to lighten the mood with a joke. Yeah, I wouldn't have gone this route - it would have been better to actually address the issue properly, or not saying anything at all. I can defs see why people would be upset about it, but I don't see it as terribly disrespectful to the fans.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut I also think that we should stop focusing on some random person's comments. I agree, you shouldn't attack or be rude to people, and we shouldn't encourage it when we see it. But focusing on isolated incidents and fighting over it doesn't get us anywhere. The point of the thread (the crappy Simsaverary) was lost for a couple of pages to talk about this. We have to unite and keep focus if we want our complaints to be heard.

EDIT: Ohh, I just saw the Tweet again and realized I missed some stuff. Whoops!
    Post edited by Gordy on
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    Gordy wrote: »
    I think people are waaaaaay overreacting to both tweets. Like, "shame on you" is mildly pointed, but it's not targeted harassment, super scathing or vicious as people are making it out to me. It's bantz, and I've seen way worse on these forums. It's barely a step up from "big doodiehead," imo. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Buuut I also think Ninja should be free to banter, even if now isn't really the best time. He tried to lighten the mood with a joke. Yeah, I wouldn't have gone this route - it would have been better to actually address the issue properly, or not saying anything at all. But I don't see it as terribly disrespectful to the fans.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut I also think that we should stop focusing on some random person's comments and acting like there's this huge attack endemic. I agree, you shouldn't attack or be rude to people, and we shouldn't encourage it when we see it. But by focusing on isolated incidents and fighting over it doesn't get us anywhere. We have to unite and work together if we want our complaints heard.

I think you're downplaying it. They didn't call him a doodiehead. They likened him to the worst people in society, and over a video game. Think about that -- a video game.
    edited February 2020
    Maybe it's my twitter feed, but I don't see any personal attacks against him? Someone called the 20th anniversary a big fat flop, and he said something about stop body shaming his flops (which is pretty obnoxious right there). Then someone else complained about EA, and he said the corner comment.

He probably should be quiet, because both those answers, at least as they appeared in my feed, were pretty inappropriate.

No, they did not. They brought up that EA (not the gurus) was voted most hated company along with Weinstein's company (and another I won't name here). I'm not saying it was a great comment (it was not) but come on. And it was after the body shaming comment.

Edit: When people are mad, making comments that he made can often be amplified through their own lenses. It's best to just leave comments like that for personal, not business, communications.

No, they did not. They brought up that EA (not the gurus) was voted most hated company along with Weinstein's company (and another I won't name here). I'm not saying it was a great comment (it was not) but come on. And it was after the body shaming comment.

Come on now. There's a reason they used that specific company, and it isn't about contract disputes.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

-facepalm.- Wooooowww .... think before you comment such an accusation.

Come on now. There's a reason they used that specific company, and it isn't about contract disputes.

But at that point, it was clear they were talking about EA, not the gurus. As in, "EA, the company that was voted..."

But at that point, it was clear they were talking about EA, not the gurus. As in, "EA, the company that was voted..."

And yet, it was directed to a guru. Why are you defending this?
    edited February 2020

Edit: Again, I am NOT saying the comment was okay. I do not think it was. But I also think his first comment was inappropriate and inflammatory and his second was dismissive. From a company account. In the middle of a PR storm. Best to stay off twitter.

You do agree, but in a way that tries to diminish me. I

That's not what I meant at all. That passage wasn't even directed at you.

Edit: Again, I am NOT saying the comment was okay. I do not think it was. But I also think his first comment was inappropriate and inflammatory and his second was dismissive. From a company account. In the middle of a PR storm. Best to stay off twitter.

If it is not okay, then direct your ire at the person who made it, not the victim of the comment -- especially since that victim has been one of the most effective and communicative devs.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    Oh dang, I think I made things worse. RIP, sorry. 🙏
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top