Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else having problems with murphy bed?

I just got the new Tiny Living stuff pack the other day and have built myself a lovely little tiny house.

Created a Sim to live in it, a young adult. She'd got a career through story mode but I was thinking of sending her to uni. So she moved in. First night slept okay in her murphy bed, next night sleeping the murphy bed broke. So she fixed it, great. Next night, the bed broke again, so she fixed it again. The next night the bed wouldn't pull down and she got crushed under it, ouch. Next night after that, the bed broke again while she was sleeping in it. So she fixed it again, this time she gave it an upgrade so it wouldn't break as often.

On returning from work, I think this was maybe the fifth Sim day, she received her acceptance letter to university, so I got her enrolled straight away and also applying for scholarships. She's tired after work and all this exciting uni stuff so I send her to bed. The bed won't come down again, she gets crushed....again. But this time it kills her! What the? Less then a week into my game and my Sim's bed has broken every single night and now it's killed her???!!!!!!

If this is going to happen with the murphy bed every time, then this isn't going to be any fun at all. I won't even have time to get my Sims handiness skill to an acceptable level in order to stop her bed crushing her to death.

Comments

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited February 2020
    It’s because the bed has. 1 rating, it’s the worst quality bed in the game. They said on the livestream that a bed that’s not upgraded has a high probability of breaking, and a broken bed has a high probability of injuries or death. So basically it’s functioning as advertised. Some are getting the one with the couch and having a sim sleep on the love seat until they get their handiness up. If you live in a tiny home skills increase really fast, and getting a workbench can increase handiness. There is also a mod available that eliminates death by the Murphy bed.
  • SparklyBeccaSparklyBecca Posts: 106 Member
    @Pamtastic72 It seems a little extreme that my Sim couldn't even get through a week without dying. If we're making tiny homes (mine was 32 squares) there aren't many options for beds etc so we have to use what's given, but I don't see why the bed should break every single time it's used and then kill your Sim. She'd even done the first upgrade, and it killed her the next night.

She didn't have any money to buy books or additional means to get skills as she'd needed to get her logic skill up for work and had bought a chess set. And I really don't think it's fair that the only way we an play the game is to get a mod to stop our Sims dying.

I've seen that it's been reported as a bug so I've gone and added my 'me too' to that and hopefully they'll sort it out so it gives us a little bit of a chance to get our Sim through their first week of life :s
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    @Pamtastic72 It seems a little extreme that my Sim couldn't even get through a week without dying. If we're making tiny homes (mine was 32 squares) there aren't many options for beds etc so we have to use what's given, but I don't see why the bed should break every single time it's used and then kill your Sim. She'd even done the first upgrade, and it killed her the next night.

She didn't have any money to buy books or additional means to get skills as she'd needed to get her logic skill up for work and had bought a chess set. And I really don't think it's fair that the only way we an play the game is to get a mod to stop our Sims dying.

I've seen that it's been reported as a bug so I've gone and added my 'me too' to that and hopefully they'll sort it out so it gives us a little bit of a chance to get our Sim through their first week of life :s

I’m not a big fan of the devs tuning things back, because so far that means they take it out of the game entirely like alien abductions I haven’t had one in my game for nearly two years now, vampire residential break ins, pretty much gone, weather deaths and so on. I like when random crazy things happen without me having to force it to happen. The super safe dollhouse aspect of this game is it’s biggest downfall of this game imo. You make a sim and there’s a one million percent chance they die of old age. It’s kind of boring, and not challenging. So many talk about “middle ground” between the frequency of these happening and being entirely nerfed. I have yet to see any. They either happen or they don’t. There have been enough complaints about this one though that I fully expect it to disappear in the next patch.
  • SparklyBeccaSparklyBecca Posts: 106 Member
    @Pamtastic72 That's weird, because I've had several alien abductions in my last most recent game. In fact one Sim was abducted twice within a few day's. But before that I hadn't had an abduction in a while, I'd almost forgotten about them.

Also Vampire residential break-ins happen with every new game I play. Every time I move in a new family and play them, within a few day's they have their blood sucked.

I've never had a weather death, but have had several Sims struck by lightening recently. They usually run inside before they get chance to get struck.

I don't mind stuff happening, but I don't like it being routine. The Vampire break-in is getting annoying now because it's like clockwork. The alien abduction is at least more random.

I don't mind the murphy bed breaking, I have no problem with that. I'd just expect it to do it more randomly, and not every single time it's used. The fact my Sim had already upgraded it to stop it breaking more often, and the very next time it was used it broke and killed her seems a little over the top.