Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Quirky

IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
The word "Quirky" is often used about The Sims games, also by EA themselves when talking about it. But I suspect we are not all referring to the same aspect of the game when we use the word. What do you (anyone) personally think of when you call a game quirky? Is it an aspect of the sims' behaviour, or cute and funny objects or what? For me, it was mainly applicable to TS1, and usually caused by some unforseen situation like when the saxaphone player followed a sim into the toilet and stood in front of them playing so the sim could not get off the toilet.

Comments

• Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    Quirky to me means a game full of hidden and funny surprises. The Sims 1 is full of silly things that catch the player off guard. The Tragic Clown for example was a quirky addition. The Sims 1 and 2 were definitely more quirky than 3 and 4 which are more tame in comparison.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Felicity1169 Do you remember those sound effects whenever one Sim rejected another? They had sound effects for romantic interactions but some of these would be different depending on the outcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqUQ_AqG_l8
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    @king_of_simcity7 I do! The sims 1 had a lot of hilarious cartoon sound affects. The jingle they played when ghosts show up scared me the first time they played it!
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Felicity1169 I remember the fear of hearing the burglar show up!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Can relate to that. Got to the point where I had alarms at all entrances and modified all front entrances so the burglar was still in the entry lobby when the cop showed up.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    For me quirky stands for humour and liveliness in a subtle way. They're funny without realizing it, so to speak. I think only Sims 1 and 2 have that aspect. Sims 3 is more serious, Sims 4 clowny.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Willow_Willow_ Posts: 12 New Member
    Quirky to me is like weird but in a unique way. Like how the sims have their own language
  • JinkxJinkx Posts: 62 Member
    Sims 1 and 2 were quirky. Sims 3 and 4 not so.

Quirky for me applies on items, behaviour and surprises.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    For me mostly the behaviour and surprises, the odd little things that come along and bring the unexpected chuckle, awww..., and the like. I find it regularly in TS 1 & 2, very rarely in 4. Never did 3 enough to say. It's what helps make the earlier games & sims so endearing and enduring.