Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The 20th Anniversary Was Underwhelming

Comments

• Options
    QuillWriterQuillWriter Posts: 67 Member
    It was a huge slap in the face to anyone who's been with this series for 20 years and a giant middle finger to anyone who purchased Perfect Patio.
    Yup. I received both of those for the 20th anniversary. And my negative feelings towards them is costing them sales. I was going to have my husband get me a couple packs for Valentine's Day, but plum that. I'll go with other items. I have no desire to play this game anytime soon. I'll spend my time and money elsewhere, just like EA decided to.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I can't add anything here that hasn't already been said. I feel the same and it's a few days later and I'm still just sad about it. I didn't expect anything crazy, but I expected something more. I knew when they canceled the Maxis Monthly though that we'd be getting a slap, despite the fact that they kind of played it up to be a big deal.

They made a big deal for the staff at HQ though, you can see the pictures all over twitter and instagram in their stories. If the party was just for them, they probably shouldn't have said anything leading into it to the general public. Those pictures just add to the insult. I'm not saying the staff shouldn't have had a party, but they should have had a bit more for the fans and included some sort of homage to the roots of the game. They ignored the fact that any other game besides TS4 existed even though we wouldn't even be here today if not for those very games.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    As you all have pointed out, underwhelming is an understatement. A big one. Since they don't care about us (the fancy phrasing in the announcment notwithstanding), who got them to the big 20 in the first place, why should we care for them?
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    It was worse than underwhelming. It was a huge slap in the face to anyone who's been with this series for 20 years and a giant middle finger to anyone who purchased Perfect Patio.

Me, for example. I purchased Perfect Patio because I wanted hot tubs at the time. But now I just feel stupid for doing so.
    At this point I'm just tired and done. I love this franchise. I - like so many - have been here since the start. I started playing the Sims in Feb. of 2000 with a new born stuck to my lap because I didn't want to get up to put her in her crib. lol My husband has grumbled and jokingly complained over the years but still supporting my love of the game. My kids grew up watching me play, and once old enough they started to play. I've gotten a few of my friends to play over the years.

And even if friend and family never played or don't even understand the game, they know The Sims because of me. And just like many of us, I have countless memories from The Sims even up to my sims in Sims 4, which has made me laugh out loud, rage quit, exit without saving, and just go "awww". The Sims has always been there for my good days and my bad. Something that I could always count on. And the friends I've made through the community. The support I've gotten via on YT and Twitch channels. And just the great environment that has been fostered over the years on the forums (for the most part).

With all of this I'm grateful that I found this little old game displayed on a cardboard cutout. I gave it a chance 'cause I thought it would be similar to virtual Barbies.😂 Never in all of my years would I have guessed it would make it to 20 years. Would mean so much to me. And become a small money funneling habit. But to see that we, as long time players, mean so little to a company kinda plum. We helped to get them where they are today. And other games that have hit a milestone, have done much more to say Thank You to their players. This really does feel like a slap in the face.

I don't think they don't know what we as players want. They just don't care. They want "new" and "hip" players coming in. Those who will lose interest soon as the new shiny thing comes along. When they first brought in the whole Game Changer thing, I knew things were changing. We never needed a select group of Simmers to be our voice. Our mouth piece. Yet this is what they are trying to portray. But I'm going off course. As much love I have for this game. I honestly think the well is starting to dry up. I have my old games. I'll continue to play them, but if we get a Sims 5 I'm not sure I have that kind of dedication anymore.

So Happy 20th Sims. It was great while it lasted.🍰

I just tried to play today and usually I can last at least a week with any game I have a lot of fun in. I couldn't play TS4 for more than a few days up until yesterday when I just got so bored... but I think I concur. Enough is enough. I'll probably keep playing every once in a while just because I've modded the game to my liking, but at this point, I'll turn my attention to Paralives instead of TS5 since I've no hopes for the latter and hopes for the former. If IF that game will be good.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    xcc411x wrote: »
    I just bought Perfect Patio a week before this came out specifically for the hot tubs. Can I get a refund?? :'(

If it's not due to a technical issue, its kinda hard to justify your case. But, one will never know until they tried. Why don't you contact the EA customer service & explain it to them? It would be better to do it the soonest especially after the 20th anniversary "incident". :)
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I’m at the point where I think EA really doesn’t care about the legacy of this franchise. They’re only interested in hyping and selling their latest product. Which is fine by me, but I don’t really get why they feel they need to keep up appearances. They live in the future, not in the present, let alone the past. That sounds ok but I think it isn’t. Its past should matter to a company, especially when it’s a rich one.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited February 2020
    It was disappointing but I wasn't expecting anything. I still hoped to be wrong but knowing how things are, it pretty much turned out the way I thought it would.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited February 2020
    They had so many ideas from the previous iterations that could have added, however they fell short. I didn't have the heart to open the sims 4 today. I played the sims 3 for some time, but this has gotten me feeling just sad. I knew they didn't care... but I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. This proves they dont deserve even that.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I’m at the point where I think EA really doesn’t care about the legacy of this franchise. They’re only interested in hyping and selling their latest product. Which is fine by me, but I don’t really get why they feel they need to keep up appearances. They live in the future, not in the present, let alone the past. That sounds ok but I think it isn’t. Its past should matter to a company, especially when it’s a rich one.

They don't, seems like it's burden to that their bored with. But keep around cause They know they can get away with the bare minimum and still get cash flowing in. I wouldn't be surprised if they are using the sims revenue for other games they consider more important. Otherwise the sims would have been way more advanced than it currently is. The budgets wouldn't be so unnecessarily low, and we would see major improvements.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited February 2020
    At this point I'm just tired and done. I love this franchise. I - like so many - have been here since the start. I started playing the Sims in Feb. of 2000 with a new born stuck to my lap because I didn't want to get up to put her in her crib. lol My husband has grumbled and jokingly complained over the years but still supporting my love of the game. My kids grew up watching me play, and once old enough they started to play. I've gotten a few of my friends to play over the years.

And even if friend and family never played or don't even understand the game, they know The Sims because of me. And just like many of us, I have countless memories from The Sims even up to my sims in Sims 4, which has made me laugh out loud, rage quit, exit without saving, and just go "awww". The Sims has always been there for my good days and my bad. Something that I could always count on. And the friends I've made through the community. The support I've gotten via on YT and Twitch channels. And just the great environment that has been fostered over the years on the forums (for the most part).

With all of this I'm grateful that I found this little old game displayed on a cardboard cutout. I gave it a chance 'cause I thought it would be similar to virtual Barbies.😂 Never in all of my years would I have guessed it would make it to 20 years. Would mean so much to me. And become a small money funneling habit. But to see that we, as long time players, mean so little to a company kinda plum. We helped to get them where they are today. And other games that have hit a milestone, have done much more to say Thank You to their players. This really does feel like a slap in the face.

I don't think they don't know what we as players want. They just don't care. They want "new" and "hip" players coming in. Those who will lose interest soon as the new shiny thing comes along. When they first brought in the whole Game Changer thing, I knew things were changing. We never needed a select group of Simmers to be our voice. Our mouth piece. Yet this is what they are trying to portray. But I'm going off course. As much love I have for this game. I honestly think the well is starting to dry up. I have my old games. I'll continue to play them, but if we get a Sims 5 I'm not sure I have that kind of dedication anymore.

So Happy 20th Sims. It was great while it lasted.🍰

I just tried to play today and usually I can last at least a week with any game I have a lot of fun in. I couldn't play TS4 for more than a few days up until yesterday when I just got so bored... but I think I concur. Enough is enough. I'll probably keep playing every once in a while just because I've modded the game to my liking, but at this point, I'll turn my attention to Paralives instead of TS5 since I've no hopes for the latter and hopes for the former. If IF that game will be good.[/quote]

Like you, I have my game modded to how I like, which makes it actually playable and enjoyable for me. Without mods Sims 4 just falls flat for me. But like you, I'm really looking forward to Paralives. I hope they really bring it! It's like after being burned by the Sims 4 I'm approaching Paralives with caution, but also excitement. I have a feeling though, that they will knock out socks off in the best way possible, and finally some real competition put towards the Sims.

I also feel that once Paralives drops, and starts to being in players (I'm not sure but are they simmers as well?) EA will actually start to sweat, seeing their "sure thing" leaving and spending their money on a game and supporting a developer who actually cares. By then though, it will be to little to late. They've had more than enough time to get their act together with this game, and to fix it and make it what it once was.

They have refused. They don't care. And they figure that they can squeeze this lemon until there is no juice left.

They don't, seems like it's burden to that their bored with. But keep around cause They know they can get away with the bare minimum and still get cash flowing in. I wouldn't be surprised if they are using the sims revenue for other games they consider more important. Otherwise the sims would have been way more advanced than it currently is. The budgets wouldn't be so unnecessarily low, and we would see major improvements.

I agree with you there. Not sure if it's true, but it really does feel like it. Because for a game that sales so man copies where's the advancement in game play? And the gurus have been seen time and time again, talking about the cost of this, and the cost of that, or that it's too expensive to do. Don't get me wrong. I know companies have budgets for projects. But the Sims has been racking in profit for 20 years! I believe they are putting the majority of the money into titles like Fifa, and Star Was, etc.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    My hope is that they plan to do something later in the year or over the course of the year because 20 years is a big deal. It can't just be a hot tub but on the other hand I wouldn't surprised if that's it.

Surprise players and re-release The Sims 2 UC and release The Sims 1 UC for free on Origin and slash the prices in The Sims 3 Store for everything but for a limited time, 20 days for 20 years, make it all free then enact the slashed prices for the rest of the Store's existence, including all the worlds. That'd be something. I never expect that to happen though but I wish.

Part of my brain is like: 'It can't just be a hot tub. Come on. It's 20 years of The Sims. Something has got to be cooking in the background, even if it doesn't turn out all that great.'

Then the other part of my brain is like: 'But it's EA.'

I guess part of me is hopeful because if it were me in their shoes I'd totally troll everyone into thinking all their getting is a hot tub and let you all soak in that for a couple of weeks then without any announcement do exactly what I describe above while also "selling" The Sims 3 and Sims 4 base games for free and all packs half price for a week. Surprise. :trollface:

The 20th anniversary of not just a game but a franchise deserves something big along those lines as a thank you because the game wouldn't have made it this far without those and other Sims games and the players who love them.

But again, it's EA.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    DuendeDuende Posts: 175 Member
    I guess part of me is hopeful because if it were me in their shoes I'd totally troll everyone into thinking all their getting is a hot tub and let you all soak in that for a couple of weeks then without any announcement do exactly what I describe above while also "selling" The Sims 3 and Sims 4 base games for free and all packs half price for a week. Surprise. :trollface:

Now this... this is clever and actually made me stop. But we know EA and evidently their team does not seem to have the brightest bulbs on board when it comes to The Sims 4 for the franchise is dark and full of errors.
    tumblr_n43pkkHjOF1qfzgyio1_500.gif

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I feel that there is very little point in putting a lot of time and money into this game any more. The content that we are getting is simply not worth it. Whatever they are investing their time and money into is not showing here. I can only hope that the reason is because they are working on other things.

So I'm going to try and play this game less, and instead try to play other games from people who have invested a lot more time and effort into their game.

If they are going to put less time in making content for the sims4, then I am going to put less time in playing it. And they are putting so little effort into the DLC they are making so I am not going to buy them at release. I see very little point in buying them at all because they have such low quality.

This five year old game feels like it is very unsupported by the developers and the publisher so I will consider spending my money elsewhere. More than I did before this 20th anniversary.

• Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

They truely don’t care, that much is apparent. They are too busy chasing the latest trends, making talking toilets, sponsoring game changer videos and virtue signalling at every opportunity.

Twenty years is a land mark. The Sims isn’t just an indie title. This is a game that has sold billions of copies and currently has over thirty pieces of dlc that will set you back to the tune of over £600.

I’m sorry but they spat on the legacy of this franchise and every loyal player that got them there.

And I’m not being entitled, I don’t care about the hot tub. It’s not enough to incentivise me to open up my game. (That would take a miracle. I mean have the equivalent of three juicy steaks on my pc, why would I want the McDonald’s version?) It’s the principal of the matter.

I would love for this community to remember this moment. Remember that this is how EA see you. Not as a friend or a family member, but as a walking $/€/£ whatever your currency is. Where a landmark anniversay meant more to the loyal community than it did to the people who make this game. They frequently say “Our community Is so passionate” but they also know fine well that this community has MUG written on their foreheads because you can’t acknowledge the passion of your community on the one hand and throw them a cheap bone and hope that will shut them up in the other.

But sadly, if I know this community (and I do) another paid for dlc will be released in the coming weeks, people will cry and scream in excitement and ooh and ahh over a new clothing swatch that will look suspiciously like something we already have and this will be forgotten.

And I realise that some may call me entitled or demanding lots of free things so let me correct that and say no I don’t and I’m not .But as a simmer for twenty years, watching the series go down the pan breaks my little Simming heart. I’ve grown up with this game. It deserved better from the team on its twentieth birthday than a re skinned hot tub people paid for, the elite chosen few getting paid to do videos on what the game means to them and another sale on dlc.

Hear! Hear!

"Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I haven't even downloaded the patch yet. A hot tub, some random songs and a couple of bug fixes is not worth my time. Haven't bought Tiny Living yet either, only thing I like in that is the Murphy Bed. I still enjoy the game, but things lately have really been feeling 🐸🐸🐸🐸. Seriously disappointed with that hot tub - while I like having them, I really didn't need another one, I barely use the ones I have!
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Kinda reminds me of the whole 20th thing Nickelodeon did for Spongebob last year. Thought it was gonna be a pretty big thing; but instead, they ended up cutting the "Every Spongebob Ever" marathon short; and a pretty lackluster anniversary special. The game, in a lot of ways, is a lot how Nickelodeon has really gone downhill since I started watching the show as a 4-year-old. None of the shows, particularly those in the past 4-5 years, seem to be even close to being as good as say, Rocko's Modern Life, Angry Beavers, and (the early seasons of) Spongebob and FairlyOddParents. Provided, I have only been playing SimCity since my teens, and The Sims series as a young adult in the order or 3 (bought 2-3 years ago), 4, and 2.

The big thing for me would have been the addition of recreations of some of the neighborhoods and worlds from older TS1, TS2, and TS3.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Duende wrote: »

Now this... this is clever and actually made me stop. But we know EA and evidently their team does not seem to have the brightest bulbs on board when it comes to The Sims 4 for the franchise is dark and full of errors.
    tumblr_n43pkkHjOF1qfzgyio1_500.gif

I think that's something people would enjoy. Give people who've never played or fully experienced the older ones a chance to experience what led to where we are today but they'll likely never do it. They may not want people to see all the good things that have been excluded to some degree leading up to today now that I think about it. Nor would they want players to realize the bad habits they've stuck with either.

In an interview about The Sims 20th anniversary in The Washington Post someone mentioned how content creators and modders help keep the game fresh but modders also tend to help keep the game running too.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    IAmCCIAmCC Posts: 44 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I mean if they were going to do a hot tub, at least it could have been an off-the-grid hot tub like the one from the Sims Vacation to pay homage to the Sims history. I loved this thing and it would have used a new mesh too.

25209-the-sims-vacation-windows-screenshot-relaxing-in-the-hot-tub.jpg

Right! Or even just the heart shaped hot tub that was iconic in Sims 1 and 2
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited February 2020

I think that's something people would enjoy. Give people who've never played or fully experienced the older ones a chance to experience what led to where we are today but they'll likely never do it. They may not want people to see all the good things that have been excluded to some degree leading up to today now that I think about it. Nor would they want players to realize the bad habits they've stuck with either.

In an interview about The Sims 20th anniversary in The Washington Post someone mentioned how content creators and modders help keep the game fresh but modders also tend to help keep the game running too.
    But then that is the point of them only talking about the Sims 4 is to forget about the Sims history so that they can get more sales of the current game not letting their current customers play the older Sims games. That way they don't have to reach anywhere near the expectations of the older games and not even reach the expectations of their mobile games too or not even reach the expectations of a Kardasian mobile game. Set no expectations so DLC can be sold on brand name alone.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller