Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAS survey is Closed, Voting Results coming soon!

Comments

• Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    edited February 2020
    I voted for all the toddler stuff; I’ll be surprised if any of it makes the cut.

Edited for typo.
    Post edited by Destin2016 on
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Oh cool, I'm not surprised those boots were number one, they're extremely cute! I voted for those and the child version as well. Thanks for sharing, can't wait to find out what else made the cut.

Also, happy to hear that what I suspected is somewhat true, that the craftable CAS choices in this vote that won, won't be the only CAS options our Sims will be able to knit and wear. So, thanks for clarifying that. :)
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    nice, i voted for those boots cause i wanted more knee high winter clothes and shoes

hopefully that cat with the dangly fish made it in. and the viking hat.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    edited February 2020
    The survey really could have been made better. With one question and 92 items to try to evaluate at once in one giant image, I wonder if a lot of stuff that would have been popular was overlooked, or if a lot of people who would have participated didn’t because they were overwhelmed by choice.

I ended up literally cropping the image into individual pieces on my computer and running a local copy of a “favorite picker” on GitHub (you can see the original, which is for Pokemon, here: https://www.dragonflycave.com/favorite.html) to be given options in smaller batches that were easier to evaluate and narrow down until I had a top 15.

But this isn’t the first time one of these community surveys has struck me as being really poorly designed to try to get an accurate read on people’s wants, which then always leads me to question decisions made based on the surveys. In this case it’s relatively harmless (it’s just a fun popularity contest for a stuff pack), but in other cases I know that major gameplay elements have been overlooked based on that data, and if all their data gathering is as it seems in the surveys I’ve taken over the years then I do really wish they would work more on their methodology for this stuff.

The boots are cute. None of the clothes struck me as hideous, so I’m sure the pack will be fine and, like with all packs, I’ll wait to get it on sale. I do wish I had a sense that the people running this data at EA actually seemed to understand data collection and analysis and effective clear opinion gathering. It’s really not as easy as showing a layperson 92 novel items and asking them to just pick a top 15!
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I really appreciate the insight @SimGuruSarah. I like knowing the details like that of why decisions are made. So thank you for the transparency.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    Even though I did not vote for the boots because we had limited options, I still think they're cute and will put them on my sims. I can't wait for the full reveal.
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    I personally didn’t vote for those boots. Actually I think the only “shoes” I voted for were the cat slippers. Otherwise I voted for warm socks.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    At least one item that I voted for made it in then ...
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • MockerMocker Posts: 29 Member
    This is cool, but I'm curious, the developers have plans to update winter hats so that cover sim ears?
    I mean the most people vote for hat № 2 because when you live in country where really cold Winter, covering the ears is essential.
  • M1ss_PlumbumM1ss_Plumbum Posts: 189 Member
    I voted for this too!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    I love those bootsocks so much!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I didn't vote for them but they are cute. I was sure they'll make the cut because they were on many people's lists.

It is really interesting to see all the process that goes before the blog is finally published, I like this kind of insight!
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I am actually surprised the boots were rated so highly, when there has been so much talk of more content for toddlers, kids and adult males. I like the boots well enough and will certainly use them if I buy the pack but they weren't a priority for me so I voted for other things.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Willow_Willow_ Posts: 12 New Member
    I like the design! pretty :)
    Thank you for the explanations, I find it very interesting :)
    I'd like to give some insight to the feedback on the shoe buckle.

The concept phase for assets is pretty loose and creative. The idea is, primarily, to convey the over all look of the asset and explore some design elements. If you look at the angle the shoes were drawn at (which fits the “Sim template” we used for CAS for both of the community voted stuff packs) you’ll see that if we put the buckle on the outside of the boot in the concept you wouldn’t be able to see it clearly. By putting it on the inside you can clearly see what that buckle looks like, which is important for our art team if an asset is selected to move forward into the next phase.

When we review concept art (we meet weekly during the concept phase!) people will often call out issues like the buckle being on the inside of the boot. In this stage you’ll hear a lot of, “If it gets selected we will revisit this/have to solve for that.” This is totally normal for our process. Our artist wanted to give you as many options as possible for the vote – 92! – so she focused on creating a wide variety of styles and assets and we saved the polish for later.

Now that this shoe has been selected to be made into a Create-A-Sim in-game asset the next step is for a concept artist to create a “Guide” for the asset. It includes the final, polished drawing of the asset – including additional angles if needed – and could include details like what kind material the socks are made of, a detailed drawing the stitching, even visuals about the the material the buttons are made of, if the artist thinks this information is relevant. This guide goes through multiple rounds of feedback and revision between the artist and the art director before finally being Approved. Then it is handed over to a Create-A-Sim artist who models the asset in game.

So in short, don’t worry – the buckle will be on the correct side of the shoe when you see the final version in game :smile:

• LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Mocker wrote: »
    This is cool, but I'm curious, the developers have plans to update winter hats so that cover sim ears?
    I mean the most people vote for hat № 2 because when you live in country where really cold Winter, covering the ears is essential.

I've been thinking about that too. If I wore my hat like that in the winter where I live, I'd be very chilly and probably lose my hat to the wind!

Maybe it has something to do with hair ear clipping on heads?
  • pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 313 Member
    These boots are the only thing I cared about.
  • CathieCMRCathieCMR Posts: 3 New Member
    I can't remember if I chose the boots or not, but don't mind either way. :) However, I'd love to see a stuff pack of clothes. Something like a wardrobe pack. I've noticed a lot of people want more men's, toddlers, and kids clothes...so I think it'd be cool to have a pack for each, or a pack with a few outfits each. (including shoes)
  • FiddelizFiddeliz Posts: 39 Member
    I would actually not mind if all of the CAS would be for adult females. I chose three items from every age and gender, to spread it out. If the 15 most voted items (!!) are for females, it's not that the developers chose those items, we did! Then the community has proven where we really want content and can stop hating on the gurus/developers not hearing us wanting male and child/toddler clothing. Nice to be rid of hearing that over and over.
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    Wow, I'm super happy that the boots made the cut! If they are designed well and look great in game, then I'll probably use them a lot.
    Let's hope they don't end up looking elongated and oddly shaped like a lot of boots are in CAS. 😂

clNmwA1.png
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I'm pretty surprised that those boots were the top choice! I didn't even give them a second glance. I have plenty of boots in my game. But, yay for those of you who love them!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Fiddeliz wrote: »
    I would actually not mind if all of the CAS would be for adult females. I chose three items from every age and gender, to spread it out. If the 15 most voted items (!!) are for females, it's not that the developers chose those items, we did! Then the community has proven where we really want content and can stop hating on the gurus/developers not hearing us wanting male and child/toddler clothing. Nice to be rid of hearing that over and over.

If people voted for all adult female clothing that's fine... but male/children/toddler clothing is still going to be extremely lacking so I'm still going to keep asking for it. I don't hate the guru's and developers at all, and I think Sims 4 is a great game, the best in the Sims series for me, but the clothing is still lacking and should be added to the next few packs even if it's not in this one.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I voted for those boots because I thought they would look extremely cute in cold weather outfits. I guess the boots got votes because they kind of stuck out being the only adult shoes (not counting slippers). So people who voted for variety type of clothing likely voted on them.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    wow, something I voted for actually made it, that's a first.
    I am actually surprised the boots were rated so highly, when there has been so much talk of more content for toddlers, kids and adult males. I like the boots well enough and will certainly use them if I buy the pack but they weren't a priority for me so I voted for other things.

this and I think one or two other boots were like the only things I voted for for female adults, all the rest of my votes went to males tops...oh, and one hat.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

Actually, I didn’t know at first but you can modify the length of sims feet, and so the length of the shoes.
    Wow, I'm super happy that the boots made the cut! If they are designed well and look great in game, then I'll probably use them a lot.
    Let's hope they don't end up looking elongated and oddly shaped like a lot of boots are in CAS. 😂

clNmwA1.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top