The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plum It, Let's do our own 20th anniversary thing

Comments

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    This is a great idea! I've never participated in a challenge, but it could be fun. I don't have an idea for one atm... But if we keep this thread sufficiently bumped, maybe someone will jump in who does. I found this thread because I decided to do a little digging and clicked on page 4.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,180 Member
    @Scobre

Enjoyed the article but weird it says this?

While little is known about the project, one this is for certain: that the foundations that Will Wright laid 13 years ago have an everlasting appeal that is unlikely to disappear, and will no doubt be at the core of any games bearing The Sims branding that may arrive in the future.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I spent an hour on 2 and one on 3. I don't have sims 1 anymore. It was fun but it reminded me why I love 4 so much more so I spent the rest of the evening celebrating by playing 4 haha. Ended up staying up to midnight and playing for far longer than I should in one session lol but I could sleep in today and back to normal schedule tomorrow haha :)

Happy 20th Simmers! Whatever you decide to do to celebrate... Have fun!
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited February 2020
    @CaptainElsa
    DeKay wrote: »
    I like the first idea but what kinda challenges can we do based on TS1...? 🤔

Maybe something like this...
    Start with a single player or a Sims 1 family at a starting fund of 20,000. Turn autonomy off, turn aging off, skip the toddler stage, live in a boxed type home, and pick one aspiration to fulfill for that sim or each sim in the household.
    You can NOT CHEAT and NO TRAIT REWARDS(for example steel bladder, antiseptic, hardly hungry etc.)

Sims 1 is a very straight forward game. But for me it is the most challenging of the games because it was hard to keep needs fulfilled while completeing their aspiration.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    AphoticLee wrote: »
    @CaptainElsa

Start with a single player or a Sims 1 family at a starting fund of 20,000. Turn autonomy off, turn aging off, skip the toddler stage, live in a boxed type home, and pick one aspiration to fulfill for that sim or each sim in the household.
    You can NOT CHEAT and NO TRAIT REWARDS(for example steel bladder, antiseptic, hardly hungry etc.)

Sims 1 is a very straight forward game. But for me it is the most challenging of the games because it was hard to keep needs fulfilled while completeing their aspiration.

That sounds fun :)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    @Scobre

Enjoyed the article but weird it says this?

While little is known about the project, one this is for certain: that the foundations that Will Wright laid 13 years ago have an everlasting appeal that is unlikely to disappear, and will no doubt be at the core of any games bearing The Sims branding that may arrive in the future.
    Yeah I thought that was odd too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,338 Member
    edited February 2020
    4 games, 4 generations mini legacy "challenge" (Requires Sims 1 basegame, Makin' Magic, Sims 2, 3 and 4 basegame)

- Start with a Gen. 0 in Sims 1, can be a single sim or married couple, doesn't matter. Get them a baby either by kissing or adoption, make the resulting child a spellcaster and grow it up with the spell (alternately with a mod). Play the new adult 30 days, then note down their skills and career level. They can have a spouse, but no child of their own.

- Recreate that sim(s) in Sims 2, cheat up their skills and career level to what they had in Sims 1. Let them have a child of their own either by adoption, pregnancy or alien abduction. Play that child until their elderhood and death. Choose one of their children to bring over into Sims 3 (needs to be a teen or young adult, not sure if teens can live alone in Sims 3).

- Repeat for Sims 3 and Sims 4

- The challenge ends when the Sims 4 heir dies.

Take screenshots and compare with other forum users <3
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Count me in it'll be fun :)
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
    @CaptainElsa

For mod users, can MCCC or another mod adjust the difficulty of motive decay up and down? If so, that would be perfect for this challenge!
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    @CaptainElsa

For mod users, can MCCC or another mod adjust the difficulty of motive decay up and down? If so, that would be perfect for this challenge!

I think if you wanted to speed up the decay to make it more challenging like Sims1 is then I wouldn't see why not. I just remember playing Sims1 and it being hard to keep needs up. A lot of game play was spent filling needs and going to work. Similar to real life the only time you could go out or enjoy extracurricular activities was on days off.

WbUrFQm.png
  • CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    edited February 2020
    Fiddeliz wrote: »
    I thought about how maybe we could make classic Sims characters and lots and share them with each other on the gallery!
    Then you can have a party with all of them in a sentimental venue, play old sims music, and have a trip down memory lane.

Ya'll are giving me LIFE.

So far people are liking the challenge idea so we can whittle down exactly what it entails. Personally, just speaking for me, I'd love to combine @AphoticLee and @EnkiSchmidt 's ideas... using whatever version of Sims you prefer each generation represents a new game. For gen 1, for example, you'll recreate the Sims 1 experience. Yes, it's a "shorter" challenge but it's an anniversary challenge.

I LOVE the ideas you guys have about sharing music and characters. I'd love to see ya'lls Bob and Betty Newbies!

Shall we start our own hashtag across platforms? I thought hard about it and I'd love to use #Sims20 to help us differentiate our own party and see where it takes us. I know I was thinking of using this hashtag to help "pay it forward" for a fellow simmer by gifting someone a stuff pack.

Sorry, long post. BUT YA'LLLLLLLL.

EDIT: stealing @xamira99 's idea.... the challenge MUST be completed in 20 days.
    Post edited by CaptainElsa on
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I'm really liking this idea. I don't have TS1 or TS2 anymore, they've been lost to me sadly (if I could have had my way, I would have kept them and likely would still be playing TS2!) But I think I could make a challenge work, either by spending 2 generations in a game and using house/buildings like I would have done 20 years ago. (They would look look so bad... :D )
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I tried loading up TS1 last night but it just doesn't play nice with Windows 10. I was able to load up long enough just to see what my original sims looked like and go "Ah, those were the days" and I agree, I don't know how I managed to keep up with their needs back then. It was difficult! They were always hungry and my kitchens were always going on fire! I still love a good kitchen fire to this day. :D
  • FiddelizFiddeliz Posts: 39 Member
    I created The Crumplebottom/Goth/Darling older generation, featuring Agnes of course, and also a household with just her and the ghost of Erik, still having the family ties to their deceased relatives. It was really fun to do! I think I will build their house as well :smiley:

8VMKs6b.png

Here she is, very upset that I drowned her husband :naughty:
    They are all on my gallery page! - @Lizafideli95
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    edited February 2020
    I don't know if this what you had in mind but I tried to create a challenge using all 4 games last year but ran out of ideas halfway through creating it:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/964867/sims-anniversary-multi-game-challenge-wip#latest

Admittedly it might be a bit long/difficult in its current state.
    Post edited by Felicity1169 on
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    edited February 2020
    @CaptainElsa

Or conversely, leave autonomy on full, but do not control the sim in any way except to put them in to a career. THEN see how they handle their eating, sleeping, hygiene on their own.

The only control you can take is to get them to do any job related tasks. Other than that, just let them go to work smelly, hungry, tired. lol

THAT's like sims one! And then in 20 days, see how far they've progressed. Oh! and no changing their work status from normal.

ETA: also no fixing broken things!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Fiddeliz wrote: »
    I created The Crumplebottom/Goth/Darling older generation, featuring Agnes of course, and also a household with just her and the ghost of Erik, still having the family ties to their deceased relatives. It was really fun to do! I think I will build their house as well :smiley:

8VMKs6b.png

Here she is, very upset that I drowned her husband :naughty:
    They are all on my gallery page! - Lizafideli95
    I love her. She's one of my all time NPCs. AndrewArcade said she would only attack straight couples too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    For my own little 20th Anniversary celebration I decided to do a TS1 reunion save. I am not a rotational player, I normally play one main family per save and let MCCC run in the background. I'm used to that style of play since TS3 days. But I have 25 or 26 sims that were recreations of TS1 households and if I wanted them all in one place, that meant I'd have to go back playing rotational, just like in TS1 days. I'm trying to get used to rotating again, it feels weird! My computer is not up to the task of overstuffing them all under one roof, so rotation it is. I'm having fun with it so far.

I left the Goths in the world, added the Pleasants, Newbies (Maxis ones on the Gallery) and there's probably a few more premade families I'm forgetting about. Despite the disappointing 20th anniversary we got, I'm having a lot of fun remembering the backstories of my sims and how they evolved over time.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,815 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    @CaptainElsa

Or conversely, leave autonomy on full, but do not control the sim in any way except to put them in to a career. THEN see how they handle their eating, sleeping, hygiene on their own.

The only control you can take is to get them to do any job related tasks. Other than that, just let them go to work smelly, hungry, tired. lol

THAT's like sims one! And then in 20 days, see how far they've progressed. Oh! and no changing their work status from normal.

This is a great idea. Would it be a new household created in CAS? Including adults, teens, kids, and toddlers?
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,180 Member
    @CaptainElsa

I used to love doing this (when in a perverse mood) in the Sims. However in 4 I find if I do leave then a notice pops up re: work etc and doesn't go away so game can't continue? I think 3 was the same. Or am I not waiting long enough?
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
    edited February 2020
    Too bad, I wanted to try the 4 games 4 generations challenge today, but my old Windows ME laptop that still runs it fine won't come to life again. It keeps asking for a boot disc that could be anywhere. At this rate it's less painful to recreate a Sims 1 environment in Sims 4.

My rules:
    - The same food for every meal. I plan to download an icky green gruel before starting. Poor simmies!
    - Same PJs for every male and for every female. I think there was variety for swimwear, but might just as well give everyone the same.
    - No aspirations and whims
    - No emotions (will use MCCC to keep them in "Fine"), perhaps higher motive decay
    - Only rabbit hole jobs and woodworking (but cannot start with woodworking bench because that came with an expansion)
    - For every job search roll a die: 1 means it is available (might restrict this to Sims 1 careers)
    - Party guests need to be randomized (visit community lot, greet the first 1-6 townies and invite them)
    - Other than for party preparations no visiting community lots, pets or dates (yes, those were introduced with packs, but I'll get enough opportunity to play with them in Gens 2-4)
    - No ceiling or wall lamps
    - Skip toddler and teen lifestage, teen will be a makeover for the child

Edits:
    - Of the quick meals only chips are available & no preparing other meals unless you have a stove
    - Must use the same hat (makeup, hats and all) for every outfit
    - Children had a random rank in all adult skills. Knowing this used to be important, because they could paint quite valuable paintings. Not that WE every expolited that, of course... Anyway, for each baby generate a random number between 0 and 10 - that is their Creativity skill. I'm not sure if this is helpful in Sims 4, I just wanted to bring back this particular gem to everyone's memory.
    Post edited by EnkiSchmidt on
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I just like the idea of making a Bob and Betty Newbie for Sims4. I don't really remember what Bob Newbie looked like but the stained t-shirt (I imagined it was pizza) and gut, and...was he bald? I don't remember. One thing I do remember was how perfect it always was: no weather, no flies (I HATED the buzzing flies once they added that! I hope they don't ever add it back again!). But it would be so boring to play it now.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    edited February 2020
    I remembered some more rules while creating my sims: Everyone has the same surname and they retain the same head with every outfit. So whatever makeup, hat or jewelery the everyday head has, all outfits need to have it. For example for Maxine a cruel player has combined a protective helmet with a helmet with a body intended for a stylish lady.

Here's a five minute version of the sims from the trailer:

sims1trailerdsjqg.jpg

Since I don't know their names, I named the sims Caroline, John and Maxine Phillips. Maxine was the architect, Caroline and John a couple looking for a new home, but since they start as roommates, let's see who ends up with whom!

Can't wait to see everyone else's recreations!

More here: https://enkisstories.tumblr.com/tagged/sims1in4/chrono
    Post edited by EnkiSchmidt on
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I just like the idea of making a Bob and Betty Newbie for Sims4. I don't really remember what Bob Newbie looked like but the stained t-shirt (I imagined it was pizza) and gut, and...was he bald? I don't remember. One thing I do remember was how perfect it always was: no weather, no flies (I HATED the buzzing flies once they added that! I hope they don't ever add it back again!). But it would be so boring to play it now.

Hahah! I imagined that stained t-shirt was pizza too! :D
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    @CaptainElsa

This is a great idea. Would it be a new household created in CAS? Including adults, teens, kids, and toddlers?

I would do it with a new household made in CAS. I suppose it would depend on the player what they want in the household. Whether they wanted kids (how many and of what age) But for it to be a competition, it would only be fair if everyone attempting it had the same number and same ages.