Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

NEW UPDATE?!

Comments

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    I know we aren't entitled to new free things, but I do think people have a right to be disappointed. It's the 20th anniversary and they would have never made it this far if people didn't keep purchasing their games. Personally I've spent thousands on this game since TS1 and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I especially think releasing a product that was exclusive to a pack was a bit shameful and it really isn't fair to the people who paid $10 for it.

Since they chose to go with hot tub, why couldn't it then have been a nostalgia one like the heart shaped tub? It's an anniversary of the franchise after all, not limited to the 4th edition. It was also so ridiculous that people who didn't yet have PP could still want to buy it because that hot tub is really not aesthetically pleasing for most builds. The music could have been older tracks we know and love rather than brand new ones.

I feel like more could/should have been done to celebrate the franchise as a whole, because let's face it, TS4 wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for TS1-3.

We are entitled to bug fixes though, and that was a mighty small sad list. I think I'm more disappointed that my potions of immortality still don't work.

I think the reason they didn’t pay homage to the Sims franchise as a whole is because they would like to pretend they don’t exist.

The fact the previous games exist is The Sims 4's biggest problem.

But yeah, what annoys me about this anniversary is that the previous iterations basically got no acknowledgement. It's been treated as The Sims 4's anniversary, not the anniversary of the franchise as a whole.

You win the Internet.
    CelSims wrote: »
    Putting aside for now that they gave away content some people had paid for, it seems that the issue many players are expressing is that they are disappointed that EA/Maxis doesn't appear to value the sims franchise anniversary as much as the players themselves do.

Feeling that it just isn't important to them at a time when many simmers are voicing dissatisfaction has led to this outcry. I wonder if they will take note.

I doubt it, they never acknowledge mistakes. They will just get a couple of game changers to do more sponsored by EA videos on what the game means to them.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    On the bright side, we got a metric tonne of bug fixes, some of which have been around forever, like the celebrity couples reacting in disgust to each other.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    It's going to take more than a couple of positive videos to undo the damage done to EA's reputation. Their epic fail yesterday will go down in history, and this community doesn't forget anything. We give credit where credit is deserved. So I'd like to know who deserves the credit for making this special anniversary such a downer for the fans, then thought it was a good idea to post tweets that showed the party going on at the studio. I predicted this would happen. But that doesn't mean I'm happy it did.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,021 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    It's going to take more than a couple of positive videos to undo the damage done to EA's reputation. Their epic fail yesterday will go down in history, and this community doesn't forget anything.
    Unfortunately, I don't think we have a lot of power here. EA almost always ignores us, and compared to most fandoms, ours is too small to make waves or reach the news. Only 2 or so Game Changers have complained, and they aren't major players like James Turner. (Who seemed to get EA acting quick when it came to the Island Living counters.) Plus they already make tons of money.

Even if we remember, I think they'll just get away with it. The "damage" to their already reputation is nothing to them.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • akuheikomatsuakuheikomatsu Posts: 79 Member
    Lemon405 wrote: »

(Snipped for space)

As a side note, I saw someone replicate the hot tub today using objects already available in game and I could barely tell the difference. So yeah, I can see why some people who have spent thousands on the series over the last 20 years might be a tad disappointed. I don't think most people were expecting anything huge, but maybe the heart shaped bed, pool table or the return of a favorite NPC might have been met with more enthusiasm.

Interesting... I don’t suppose it’s occurred to anyone that maybe EA didn’t give two toots about funding a gift for the big 20th so the Maxis devs had nothing to work with. Maybe the ufo hot tub (that’s it’s official name now) was all they had to work with and they did what they could.

Obviously they’re doing more than just the hot tub and (superior) console patch (yeah, I’m still gloating over the patch, sue me, console deserves a day in the sun!) They’re giving away stuff on Origin to random people with packs in their Wishlist, and who knows what else might pop up.

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled and ever downward spiraling “debate.”

At least until the thread gets locked...

Oh, believe me, ALL of my ire is directed at EA, not at the gurus or the developers. Believe me, I know very intimately what it's like to be at the bottom of the totem for a very large corporation. I do sincerely think they're doing what they can, but many, myself included, are no longer willing to spend money on mediocrity. I am one of the 20 year players, since Sims 1. I own all EPs/GPs/SPs, made a great deal of purchases from TS3 Store, and purchased new computer components (sometimes costing several hundred dollars) to support new hardware requirements. While giveaways are sweet for those who don't own all of the games, it certainly feels like a slap in the face to all of us who purchased the content at the time of release.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    It's going to take more than a couple of positive videos to undo the damage done to EA's reputation. Their epic fail yesterday will go down in history, and this community doesn't forget anything.
    Unfortunately, I don't think we have a lot of power here. EA almost always ignores us, and compared to most fandoms, ours is too small to make waves or reach the news. Only 2 or so Game Changers have complained, and they aren't major players like James Turner. (Who seemed to get EA acting quick when it came to the Island Living counters.) Plus they already make tons of money.

Even if we remember, I think they'll just get away with it. The "damage" to their already reputation is nothing to them.

One thing we can do is vote with our wallets. I'm not going to buy any pack at release anymore and I don't think I will buy the knitting pack either.
    On the bright side, we got a metric tonne of bug fixes, some of which have been around forever, like the celebrity couples reacting in disgust to each other.

That was for console. If you are a console player that’s different. Pc have those fixes.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    @Gordy The missing island counter from Island Living was caught by the game changers BEFORE the pack was released. James Turner was not the only game changer that noticed the item was missing. A CC creator had that island counter up for download less than two days after Island Living went live. And the one that was released by EA later in a patch is missing the waterfall edge.

@CaptainElsa I agree with you when it comes to the modding community. If not for their contributions in the form of CC and mods, Sims4 would be difficult to play at all. I also financially support the modding community because they do seem to know what the players want and need more than the teams do.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,021 Member
    logion wrote: »
    One thing we can do is vote with our wallets. I'm not going to buy any pack at release anymore and I don't think I will buy the knitting pack either.
    We can do that, but I doubt it would matter. Sims 4 has had issues for years, and this isn't even their biggest one. Yet they still make gangbusters. Us compaliners are too small to have any real power. We can only just save or money and stop playing.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • akuheikomatsuakuheikomatsu Posts: 79 Member
    edited February 2020
    We can do that, but I doubt it would matter. Sims 4 has had issues for years, and this isn't even their biggest one. Yet they still make gangbusters. Us compaliners are too small to have any real power. We can only just save or money and stop playing.

Or get excited for Paralives instead. It seems like they are intentionally trying to incorporate everything that longtime Simmers have been clamoring about! 😂
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member

Not buying packs at release could encourage them to release the packs in a better state (they do track how many that play the packs at release) and even if it doesn't it will encourage me to buy less packs... and play other games.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

I am a knitter. So I knit during my Sims 3 loading screens. Fortunately, there's only one, but I can usually get a couple of rows in ;) I honestly cannot see the attraction of a knitting pack. But I bet the devs love it since it's a one-person activity. Sims 4 doesn't do too well when it comes to more than one sim at a time doing the same thing.
  • KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    Maybe they are getting ready to 'Wash their hands' for Sims 5? it a hot tub not a good update.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    I'm not upset that they gave away the prime object of Perfect Patio stuff for free, although I understand how others might feel that way -- especially those who recently bought the pack. I bought Perfect Patio a while ago so theoretically I've had years of play with hot tubs (though, to be honest, I rarely use them).

I'm just disappointed (yes, I realized I am disappointed) about the hot tub because it doesn't change gameplay at all.

I'm just tired of new CAS/build-buy items. I want something that changes gameplay. To make things more interesting. University is pretty good, but once a sim graduates, it just makes things easier.

I want more traits, more aspirations, meaningful whims, fears, more lasting consequences other than 4-hour moodlets, and a chemistry system.

Maybe it's because I've played Sims 4 for over 3k hours... time to put a fork in it?

nah, just time to put a mod in it. :) It changes gameplay, just as you were mentioning, including chemistry systems, lasting consequences, etc.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    What was actually in the update? Aside from the two hot tubs that I won't be using anyway, because I never use the existing ones? I felt the list of bugfixes was extremely short - much shorter than ordinarily. Maybe it is a joke?

It's fine by me to celebrate an anniversary of a product with colleagues at a workplace. We as costumers shouldn't be peeved about that. I think that's just petty.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    What was actually in the update? Aside from the two hot tubs that I won't be using anyway, because I never use the existing ones? I felt the list of bugfixes was extremely short - much shorter than ordinarily. Maybe it is a joke?

It's fine by me to celebrate an anniversary of a product with colleagues at a workplace. We as costumers shouldn't be peeved about that. I think that's just petty.

There are a few songs added. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

Disclaimer: Songs from 2011 that we already received in The Sims 3 when they were actually relevant.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    DeKay wrote: »

Disclaimer: Songs from 2011 that we already received in The Sims 3 when they were actually relevant.

Oh, we already had those? I didn't know. 😂
    832XG3D.gif
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @DeKay Tsk, tsk...shame on you for thinking we got something new 😂 Recycling is the thing!

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

DeKay Tsk, tsk...shame on you for thinking we got something new 😂 Recycling is the thing!

I know! How silly of me!! :D
    832XG3D.gif
  • HeyItsKoffeeHeyItsKoffee Posts: 99 Member
    I think it's very typical of EA to shove recycled objects down our throats, It's not that i expected anything great, just that i expected something "New" or something we at least "Wanted", they had 5 years to plan for the 20th anniversary (from 15th) and they still gave us a recycled object which imo is not a great image for themselves, instead they just showed us them all having a blast in the studio while the real fans waited to get something nice for keeping the game around for as long as it has been.
    Youtube @ ItsKoffeeh

Legacy Challenge
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    They did not make Sims, Will did. I am glad they are celebrating 20 years of Sims... They should be celebrating Will and the Sims fans... without either there would be no Sims. Not only did they give a lame recycled object, they did not give credit or respect for the true people that made Sims great.. Will and Simmers.

Since I've become so sick, I sometimes play Sims 4 because it is sooooooooo simple and slow to play. That small children (maybe toddlers) could play it. Yes, sometimes when I am bad sick, my mind can not play regular games I like to play.

I was hoping for something unique for 20 years... Yes, I started playing Sims 1 and have played ever since. I won't speak my mind fully here, because my disappointment might get me in trouble.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top