Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Living/Renting in Sulani

I moved a Sim family to Sulani when I first bought Island Living but found it.. I don't know. Too much like a vacation and couldn't connect to the game play. I was hoping I could turn the lot I built into a really nice vacation rental similar to what you would see in granite Falls but apparently you can't do that. So I was wondering if I could turn an existing house into a retail lot without losing the construction and decor. I really wish I could make it an option for any sim to rent but I guess that's not possible so this is my next best option. Then I would have the sim family buy it and visit on the weekends or whenever.

Do you guys think that will work?
Go Raps!
canada-flag-tiny.gif

Comments

• CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    Yes I wish you could have a mix of rental and home lots, I did download a "hotel" community lot from the gallery and put it in my version of sulani, so sims can visit and pretend its a self catering style hotel, and thats worked nicely.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    You might need to throw a cash register etc into the basement but yeah it works. I've done it before. (then I never wanted to leave so now my families all live in Sulani permanently haha)
  • DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,761 Member
    Has anyone test driven options to make it open to everyone? The house Ive designed is set up kind of like an air bnb and I'd love to use it kind of like that
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Yeah, I've seen people using the retail lot strategy to use Sulani as a vacation spot.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    edited February 2020
    I just changed the old shipwreck to the lot type 'National Park' and made a few adjustments. Now my Sims vacation there for long weekends, whenever they need to get away.
    Just to explain, the lot type 'National Park' has no requirements, so you can add anything you want to and go visit with any household and essentially use it as an Airbnb house.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    This is great. I haven't played in Sulani yet so it's nice to know I can cheat the system and make it a visit place rather than I permanently live on the island lol.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited February 2020
    That's what I did, I bought a retail store and shrunk a cash register down and turned it into a vacation home. Hopefully we'll be able to buy vacation homes or second properties some day but this method works fine in the meantime.
    The retail strategy makes sense if you only want to use the lot with one household, but if you want other households in your save to be able to use the lot as a vacation get-away, I think 'National Park' is the best choice at the moment in residential worlds like Sulani.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required

we all try ...
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    I did something similar with the shipwreck lot although I made It a regular park. I also use manage households to swap sims around to move sims into residential lots akin to an air bnb.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,183 Member
    I just changed the old shipwreck to the lot type 'National Park' and made a few adjustments. Now my Sims vacation there for long weekends, whenever they need to get away.
    Just to explain, the lot type 'National Park' has no requirements, so you can add anything you want to and go visit with any household and essentially use it as an Airbnb house.

Awesome thanks for the tip!

"Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I really really hope we get a hotel psck in the future. Im just desperate to turn Sulani into a tourist trap. xD
    But if you make it a national park do other people show up to the lot. Now that you mention this I think I did something similar with dine out in that I had a restaurant and an apartment attached to it and they just lived in the apartment and satisfied their needs on it. However, as soon as I saved and exited they would show back up on their original lot.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I love living in Sulani with two big exceptions: a lot of times when I invite sims to the house, they simply don't show up. This happens because some neighbors are planning to come over and bring food, which happens fairly regularly.
    DeadFishy wrote: »
    But if you make it a national park do other people show up to the lot. Now that you mention this I think I did something similar with dine out in that I had a restaurant and an apartment attached to it and they just lived in the apartment and satisfied their needs on it. However, as soon as I saved and exited they would show back up on their original lot.

No, with the lot type 'National Park' other Sims will not randomly show up. No other Sims will come and use the stuff because the lot type has no requirements so there is no coded behaviour. But Sims still pass by the lot and of course you can invite Sims by phone to come and visit the lot.

we all try ...

No, with the lot type 'National Park' other Sims will not randomly show up. No other Sims will come and use the stuff because the lot type has no requirements so there is no coded behaviour. But Sims still pass by the lot and of course you can invite Sims by phone to come and visit the lot.

Interesting! I like this. Do you know if I can change the lot after having built the house on it? I don't want to lose the house and all my decor
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
    That should not be an issue at all, I changed the lot type too after I had made changes as it was originally residential. But it was a while ago and who knows, there might be a new bug in the game. :D So to be 100% sure just save the lot to your library before you make the change and then you can replace it if anything does vanish. But it really shouldn't.

we all try ...
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    I really wish I could make it an option for any sim to rent but I guess that's not possible so this is my next best option. Then I would have the sim family buy it and visit on the weekends or whenever.

Do you guys think that will work?

Probably, but it is not the best option that comes to my mind.

I add e.g. a tent or some beds to community lots and accept the fact that they are free of charge. The main restriction is the fact that vacation days has to be ordered separate as the visit is not recognized as a vacation. On the other hand, the sims are not paying any rent.

• FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    A Generic Lot would work too, would it? No NPCs wandering in and out of there either I think.
    Generic lot should also work, no requirements, therefore no Sims needed to assign activities to. 'National Park' just always sounded more like a lot I would like to vacation on. I also don't know whether it changes anything regarding Sims hanging out outside of the lot. But that actually sounds like something worth testing in game.

we all try ...
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    Finvola wrote: »
    A Generic Lot would work too, would it? No NPCs wandering in and out of there either I think.

I've tried this, and the people from the food service stands sometimes come in while my sims want to sleep 😕
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    My actress bought a "vacation house" in Sulani and with the exception of putting cash register on the lot and the papparazzi showing up, *sigh* this works great, sort of a way to get away from the rat race. She goes there inbetween acting gigs to refresh. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    I've made a small beach cabin and pretend it's a rental when my sims visit the island. It mostly works for me. 1 downfall is that other sims walking by just let themselves in and use the 'rental' too..
    It would've been really cool if there were hotel lot venue though.
    I was thinking, maybe with a little tweek of Discover University's dorm lot venue a talented modder could create a working hotel/tourist lot type.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,183 Member
    I'm using the wreckage and changed it to National Park, Just had to add a grill. Did some changes inside for a family stay.
    My family uses it for a "holiday" but it is kind of a pain to micro manage them so they don't go home before I am ready for them to leave.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

wow I am totally doing this
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Finvola wrote: »

generic lots have always worked until recently. I have used them in numerous ways. As B&B's in every world so sims can go stay in a different world and it feels like a vacation.

I've also used them as "storage" facilities for some of my collector sims so they don't get dinged by high bills for having all that stuff on their home lot. And all that stuff in their inventories when traveling because that can bog the game down.

The last generic lot I made, 2 waiter sims showed up after the "renters" went out to supper. No idea why, or when that change was made.