Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

NEW UPDATE?!

Comments

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Gordy wrote: »

And they gave it. They could have locked swimming pools behind a stuff pack. They could have locked toddlers behind a game pack. Would that have been good? No. But it would have been in their right.

They deliver lots of free content, despite the fact that we do not have a right to it. At question is the fact that some people are upset that they didn't like what free content was offered this time around.
    You don't have to keep defending weak or bad practices because it could be worse. Yes, EA could be greedier, and get away with it. Many of those "hero objects" in SPs are proof of that, But we shouldn't just give them a pass for not living up to our (already very low) standards. They shouldn't be praised for being mediocre instead of terrible. We should rightfully complain in order to have our voices heard and hopefully lead to changes.

Also, patched-in content aren't simple hand-outs. They're essentially gifts for continued support, and because the game was so bare-bones at launch, they really had to try and catch up to previous games. They exist to try and keep our attention, to keep us interested in order to sell us products or mark us down as a statistic. ("Over 1 bajillion people played this week! 1.6 million WooHoos!") While they don't exactly have to give us this stuff, it's a give-and-take thing.

Yeah, I'm not defending anything. I'm stating that we're not owed free content. And we aren't.

When a developer commits to continuous support via patches, patch content, and paid DLC then they are stuck with that commitment. The key word there is continuous which means none of those key things are one-and-done affairs. So to your point, yes they do owe players the minimum of fulfilling the commitments they made pre-launch, including free content patches, continuously throughout the development life of the game.
  • Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    When a developer commits to continuous support via patches, patch content, and paid DLC then they are stuck with that commitment. The key word there is continuous which means none of those key things are one-and-done affairs. So to your point, yes they do owe players the minimum of fulfilling the commitments they made pre-launch, including free content patches, continuously throughout the development life of the game.

Exactly! It’s not like some “greedy” simmers just made this up on their own. It was a commitment made by the devs.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited February 2020
    I really can't stand when people tell us to be grateful to a company, as if companies are doing any of us a favor. we're paying them not the other way around. The nerve to be told to be grateful to a company like Ea and with their bad reputation/history in the gaming community is absurd. With the short comings of sims 4, we have every right to get what was missing from the get go patched in. what people failed to get is that when it comes to this game, nothing is free. You had to buy this game just to get the updates/patches so you have already paid them in advance. Like seriously, stop acting like companies are your friends and that you can't critique them. It's no wonder why the gaming industry is the way it is now and why you're getting games like fallout 76, battlefield, etc.
    Yeah kids would tell me the same thing with Gaiaonline too and that offered ads at least to earn content for free. It went the loot box route and people still kept saying the same thing. It just becomes like a broken record and there are a lot of blanket statements people say when they can't come up with anything original. It is interesting however that an AAA company gets the same low expectations has an indie company. What ended up happening with Gaiaonline is the CEO took all the profits and ran off with it and left the site in shambles and the original founder ended up purchasing the company back but loot boxes still remain and they have to beg their customers to come back now.

Whenever I read it I can't help but giggle and think of this which of course was a wake up call for the smarter Twitch streamers:
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/31/18039908/twitch-god-complex-mmdust-parasocial-backlash-twitchcon

Also I am ok with DLC objects being released in the base game had it been with any other patch. I just thought Maxis would be proud and do something big for their game being out for five years and the franchise being 20 years old. But it just comes off as even they are embarrassed at what the franchise has turned into. It just didn't come off as planned at all but put together last minute. I do find Stuff Packs pointless though because eventually all their game play selling point objects end up going into the base game anyways.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    LiELF wrote: »

I mean, it's not a live service in the same way that MMOs are, certainly. But the definition of live service is changing and evolving to include more than just subscriptions and microtransactions. The Sims 4 does continuously offer new content for purchase in order to fund further development of the game. And they also offer game patches on a fairly regular, almost monthly basis. So the basic premise and reasoning for it is still applicable.
    How the live service is treated is very telling on how the Sims 5 will be like with the online aspect with patches and content too. I mean if Maxis can't do a monthly update for the Sims 4, what makes people think that they can keep up with the maintenance that a MMO game will take? At times MMO games have to be fixed on a daily basis just to keep their customers happy.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • columbia93columbia93 Posts: 319 Member
    everything seems ok with the latest patch in my game xxx

Mine played but then suddenly I got a popup that there was a lastexception likely caused by an out-of-date mod. It didn't crash the game or anything, just through the exception (which I have no idea how to read). I checked at MCCC and they still have the same Mod up. I also use UI Cheats and then a few little ones from LittleMsSam (Gardening, Go for a Walk, No Auto Food Grab and SimDa Dating App).

I've no idea what caused the problem - assuming it's probably MCCC - so I'll just skip playing for a day or two rather than remove, especially since he took quite awhile before that notice popped up.
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    I like free stuff.
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    gamekitten wrote: »
    I agree with the above post by missy. I should probably just keep my mouth shut but I don't feel like we're being fair to the team. I know people have Dissapointments with this game in general but we were not promised anything for free. And imagine how Dissapointed the gurus feel that they are trying to have fun with us and celebrate (show me another game that does that) and give us free stuff and we're treating them badly and throwing tantrums as missy stated. On the anniversary when we should be happy and sharing fun stories with eachother. Like seriously? 🙈🙈
    Final Fantasy Online to mention just one.

Not free. FFXIV has a monthly subscription fee. If I was paying $13 per month to play The Sims, in adding to the cost of packs, then I'd expect more than a free hottub. But I'm not.

And we do not buy anything from Maxis? FF gives free things to their loyal fans period, the spent money is spent money regardless of the type. This seriously made me laugh.

Sps, Gps, and Exp packs are up to in Sims 4 what now? $ 10, $20, and $30 dollars... Add them up. But still, here is some more games that give free stuff:

Stardew Valley
    GTA 5
    Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2
    Sims 2 if you visited the forums.
    Rocket League

To name a few. These are without subs. You can add WoW (which I do not play anymore) gives free stuff and free stuff for their anniversary also (yes another sub). I bought all of FF online packs and with sub, it hasn't touched the amount I bought in Sims for 20 years... not even close. So yeah FF counts.

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,442 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »

I mean, it's not a live service in the same way that MMOs are, certainly. But the definition of live service is changing and evolving to include more than just subscriptions and microtransactions. The Sims 4 does continuously offer new content for purchase in order to fund further development of the game. And they also offer game patches on a fairly regular, almost monthly basis. So the basic premise and reasoning for it is still applicable.
    How the live service is treated is very telling on how the Sims 5 will be like with the online aspect with patches and content too. I mean if Maxis can't do a monthly update for the Sims 4, what makes people think that they can keep up with the maintenance that a MMO game will take? At times MMO games have to be fixed on a daily basis just to keep their customers happy.

I think it will depend on what the Multi play is like and how much it dominates the game and what comes with it, like microtransactions. I do play some MMOs so I'm familiar with the standard process, but I don't see Sims 5 functioning the same way because the game is too different. If I look at Sims 4 now, the only in-game community connection is the Gallery. Andrew Wilson did mention a cloud world, so I picture an option in the main menu to go to that world where other Sim avatars of other players are. Honestly, I don't really see what there could be to do with other players besides chat. Maybe the chat bubbles will be in English (or the language of choice) so they can have real conversations as opposed to Simlish. (No doubt with a built-in profanity filter and heavy moderation.) Maybe they can find collectibles or visit a cloud home that exists on the server like in regular MMOs. Maybe it will be "friends only". I'll be honest, I have a hard time picturing it being engaging for any length of time. But of course, I can't say for sure, can I? It's much too early to tell.

You're probably right, though. Once they need to have fixes and content for both single and multiplayer, even within the same game, it's going to expand the workload considerably, and with the way they talk about budget restrictions now, it doesn't bode well for a heftier game. But again, until I actually hear anything concrete, there's not much I can say about it at this time because I'm only speculating.
    #Team Occult
  • Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member

(Snipped for space)

As a side note, I saw someone replicate the hot tub today using objects already available in game and I could barely tell the difference. So yeah, I can see why some people who have spent thousands on the series over the last 20 years might be a tad disappointed. I don't think most people were expecting anything huge, but maybe the heart shaped bed, pool table or the return of a favorite NPC might have been met with more enthusiasm.

Interesting... I don’t suppose it’s occurred to anyone that maybe EA didn’t give two toots about funding a gift for the big 20th so the Maxis devs had nothing to work with. Maybe the ufo hot tub (that’s it’s official name now) was all they had to work with and they did what they could.

Obviously they’re doing more than just the hot tub and (superior) console patch (yeah, I’m still gloating over the patch, sue me, console deserves a day in the sun!) They’re giving away stuff on Origin to random people with packs in their Wishlist, and who knows what else might pop up.

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled and ever downward spiraling “debate.”

At least until the thread gets locked...
    im 40 and i started playing the sims when i was 20 is anyone the same??

@carlymichelle

20’s to 40’s here, my friend! 🎉😄
    Drakos wrote: »
    I like free stuff.

.. and you can not lie?

I’ll show myself out 💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Okay.

Guess I'm supposed to jump around happily.

Or something...

:|

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I'm not upset that they gave away the prime object of Perfect Patio stuff for free, although I understand how others might feel that way -- especially those who recently bought the pack. I bought Perfect Patio a while ago so theoretically I've had years of play with hot tubs (though, to be honest, I rarely use them).

I'm just disappointed (yes, I realized I am disappointed) about the hot tub because it doesn't change gameplay at all.

I'm just tired of new CAS/build-buy items. I want something that changes gameplay. To make things more interesting. University is pretty good, but once a sim graduates, it just makes things easier.

I want more traits, more aspirations, meaningful whims, fears, more lasting consequences other than 4-hour moodlets, and a chemistry system.

Maybe it's because I've played Sims 4 for over 3k hours... time to put a fork in it?

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,420 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    I just didn't release this community was so obsessed with getting something for nothing, then virtually screaming when it doesn't fit the expectations. I'm just...saddened by how negative the community's got. That's all. <3
    It's not for nothing. They wouldn't even have this anniversary without us spending hundreds, even thousands of dollars on them over the course of 20 years. They even talk about how they couldn't have done it without us, and how grateful they are for the support over the years.

That seems like a reasonable thing that studios do on anniversaries. "Thanks for all your support, we love you". On top of that we got some free stuff in an update.

I didn't get anything. I already paid for hot tubs.

It's a diff one :). I have perfect patio too but this one is not the ones from that pack.

You are right, it is a different one. But now the hot tubs in the pack are no longer unique. This patch makes patio stuff a hollow empty pack with no gameplay of its own, just stuff. I would have never bought it if it wasn't the only way to get hot tubs. I feel as if they are mocking those players who bought patio stuff.

Instead of celebrating sims this pack makes me realise I need a break from the game before I get bitter over it (if I haven't already) I am done with this topic.
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    edited February 2020
    To start with the good first, I was happy kids (finally) got some more abilities and (misread notes, my bad!) new music is always nice, so thanks devs for listening.

As a perfect patio owner though, I'm extremely disappointed that the hot tub was patched in, and for it to be called a """gift"""" is just icing on the cake. At the time of purchase, my decision was between perfect patio and luxury party, both lacking a little, but I liked the LP clothes, and the counters in Patio. Ultimately, I chose Patio for the hot tub gameplay we were told wouldn't be coming elsewhere. Had I known 2 years down the track it would've been patched in, I absolutely would not have bought it.

I'd rather have no new items instead of feeling like I've wasted money, and for it to come on the 20th anniversary no less, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Honestly, I would've loved to just see some recolours of the base game teen/single beds and counters- no new gameplay, and probably lackluster to some, but it would've made my day.

I even would'nt have minded an in-the-ground hot-tub, but this is really just a re-colour with a roof added, so brings no value to me. The sims team can be super talented, amazing, and creative, but here, I feel they let their fans down in a big way.
    Post edited by silentcyborg on
    Lemon405 wrote: »
    Maybe the ufo hot tub (that’s it’s official name now) was all they had to work with and they did what they could.
    LOL I love that name. So a hot tub for people to play with aliens more. ;)
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited February 2020
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    I just didn't release this community was so obsessed with getting something for nothing, then virtually screaming when it doesn't fit the expectations. I'm just...saddened by how negative the community's got. That's all. <3
    It's not for nothing. They wouldn't even have this anniversary without us spending hundreds, even thousands of dollars on them over the course of 20 years. They even talk about how they couldn't have done it without us, and how grateful they are for the support over the years.

That seems like a reasonable thing that studios do on anniversaries. "Thanks for all your support, we love you". On top of that we got some free stuff in an update.

I didn't get anything. I already paid for hot tubs.

It's a diff one :). I have perfect patio too but this one is not the ones from that pack.

You are right, it is a different one. But now the hot tubs in the pack are no longer unique. This patch makes patio stuff a hollow empty pack with no gameplay of its own, just stuff. I would have never bought it if it wasn't the only way to get hot tubs. I feel as if they are mocking those players who bought patio stuff.

Instead of celebrating sims this pack makes me realise I need a break from the game before I get bitter over it (if I haven't already) I am done with this topic.

Yes but unless you just purchased perfect patio, it's been out for years and a couple years of game play seems worth the $10 price tag. (or 5 if you got the pack on sale) If you did JUST buy it, well it kinda sucks but at least you get the other items.. And it's similar to when I buy something and it goes on super cheap right after. (in this case free for the hot tub but not the full pack) Bound to happen to everyone at some point in life and at least it's just 10$. It's not like the pack items got taken away. You still get what you were willing to pay for a few days ago even if it doesn't seem quite as great a deal now.

Basically, for those without perfect patio it's great as they now have a hot tub.
    For those with it it's a fun bonus hot tub skin
    For those that wouldn't use it.. Well you can't win them all. Maybe the next time you'll get something you do use in your game that others wouldn't. No harm done.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    To start with the good first, I was happy kids (finally) got some more abilities, and new music is always nice, so thanks devs for listening to some requests.

What is the new ability that kids got?
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,941 Member
    edited February 2020
    in all honesty though its not devs fault if they got smoll budget like no use to blame them

but I do wish that when its just old object with new swatches level they can do

they'd just do that with like maybe new bedsheets for base game beds or something? (for they are sad and I loved the anniversary patterns with grilled cheese etc on those random furnitures we got for another anniversary)

or if new shapes are fine then bring over some ts1/2 furniture?

like doesn't need to be groundbreaking but I wish everyone would get something new

instead of giving pack contents to people like "good thing you didn't buy the pack yet"

(even if this time personally i am happy to say i didn't have hot tub and i love having it even if i feel bit of a burglar)
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited February 2020
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I'm going to continue what I've been doing for the past few years and continue voting with my wallet. 20 years later and the series has declined. This patch and thread contents only support my opinion.

I bought every pack at release. I went to my origin order history and looked at how much money I have spent on the sims4:

Around $700 USD For the base game with all the packs.

I think I am going to start voting with my wallet too.

• silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    To start with the good first, I was happy kids (finally) got some more abilities, and new music is always nice, so thanks devs for listening to some requests.

What is the new ability that kids got?

Oops, my bad. Misread the notes - got confused with 'Child of the Island' trait, and read it as something new for Child sims 😢.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I know we aren't entitled to new free things, but I do think people have a right to be disappointed. It's the 20th anniversary and they would have never made it this far if people didn't keep purchasing their games. Personally I've spent thousands on this game since TS1 and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I especially think releasing a product that was exclusive to a pack was a bit shameful and it really isn't fair to the people who paid $10 for it.

Since they chose to go with hot tub, why couldn't it then have been a nostalgia one like the heart shaped tub? It's an anniversary of the franchise after all, not limited to the 4th edition. It was also so ridiculous that people who didn't yet have PP could still want to buy it because that hot tub is really not aesthetically pleasing for most builds. The music could have been older tracks we know and love rather than brand new ones.

I feel like more could/should have been done to celebrate the franchise as a whole, because let's face it, TS4 wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for TS1-3.

We are entitled to bug fixes though, and that was a mighty small sad list. I think I'm more disappointed that my potions of immortality still don't work.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top