Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

NEW UPDATE?!

Comments

• OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited February 2020
    LiELF wrote: »
    Regarding the Sims 4 as a live service....it actually is. This was clarified a few years ago by SimGuruGraham here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893117/live-service-explained/p1

He does mention that ongoing free content is a part of that. There is even a team dedicated to it.

I know what they said, but I assume we've all been around the block to enough times to know that this isn't a live service despite those claims. You don't even need to be connected to the internet to play this game.
  • Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    I haven't called anyone any names, nor have I used the word 'tantrum' or any synonym. I also never stated anything about being thankful. What I am saying is and has been as follows -- we are not owed free content. At all.

I know, I was not referring to you in the last paragraph. That was based on what I’ve seen in this thread.

To your point: Maxis promised free content as a part of their marketing of the game, which we all paid for. That was part of the deal. They were going to continuously come out with patches with either bug fixes, new content, or both. They owe us what they promised. It’s up to them to meet what they initially laid out.
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    I haven't called anyone any names, nor have I used the word 'tantrum' or any synonym. I also never stated anything about being thankful. What I am saying is and has been as follows -- we are not owed free content. At all.

I know, I was not referring to you in the last paragraph. That was based on what I’ve seen in this thread.

To your point: Maxis promised free content as a part of their marketing of the game, which we all paid for. That was part of the deal. They were going to continuously come out with patches with either bug fixes, new content, or both. They owe us what they promised. It’s up to them to meet what they initially laid out.

And they gave it. They could have locked swimming pools behind a stuff pack. They could have locked toddlers behind a game pack. Would that have been good? No. But it would have been in their right.

They deliver lots of free content, despite the fact that we do not have a right to it. At question is the fact that some people are upset that they didn't like what free content was offered this time around.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Regarding the Sims 4 as a live service....it actually is. This was clarified a few years ago by SimGuruGraham here:

He does mention that ongoing free content is a part of that. There is even a team dedicated to it.

I know what they said, but I assume we've all been around the block to enough times to know that this isn't a live service despite those claims. You don't even need to be connected to the internet to play this game.

I mean, it's not a live service in the same way that MMOs are, certainly. But the definition of live service is changing and evolving to include more than just subscriptions and microtransactions. The Sims 4 does continuously offer new content for purchase in order to fund further development of the game. And they also offer game patches on a fairly regular, almost monthly basis. So the basic premise and reasoning for it is still applicable.
    #Team Occult
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I really can't stand when people tell us to be grateful to a company, as if companies are doing any of us a favor. we're paying them not the other way around. The nerve to be told to be grateful to a company like Ea and with their bad reputation/history in the gaming community is absurd. With the short comings of sims 4, we have every right to get what was missing from the get go patched in. what people failed to get is that when it comes to this game, nothing is free. You had to buy this game just to get the updates/patches so you have already paid them in advance. Like seriously, stop acting like companies are your friends and that you can't critique them. It's no wonder why the gaming industry is the way it is now and why you're getting games like fallout 76, battlefield, etc.

I know I'm in the small group on this one, but I actually enjoy Fallout 76. Could it have been better? Yes. Should they have waited and worked on it longer. Yes. Do I think it's as big of a let down as Sims 4? No. And before someone tried to get on me, and say that I'm attacking Sims 4. Or hating on it. Or whatever. Look, as a long time player - I've been around since the first - I've played all of them. Lost nights of sleep. Raised little ones watching me play. Had the hubby build me a pc so I could continue to play.

And the Sims 4 started out with so much promise. And I played. It was so bare, not to mention lacking many things. I left it alone. Vented in the Feedback section, sharing ideas, improvements, and memories to why the Sims series means so much to me, like many other simmers. We've even sat through, and even participated in the Great Sims War (mainly Sims 4 vs Sims 3 lol). And with each EP, GP, and SP, I've hoped that the game would get better. That the shallowness of the sims, the half down attempts would get better, be fixed.

I hoped that they would actually listen to players - ALL players, us Old Heads, and the Young Bucks alike. The Feedback section has so many great ideas, suggestions, constructive cretinism, etc. But time and time again, it feels as if we are over looked and ignored. I mean, look at the most recent servery, they want to know what Simmers want. You have a whole area on the forum dedicated to what players want, what players would like to have, and awesome ideas. Not to mention other media outlets that are used by players on the daily to express what is good, what is better, what should be improved, and what they'd like to see in the game.

But all of this brings me to the lack luster hot tub and songs we got today. Again, there has been an imaginary line drawn in the sand. And Simmers have taken sides. No one is telling anyone how they should feel. That they should be grateful, etc. The fact is. This series. This franchise has meant a lot to many people of so many levels for 20 years! This is something huge. And for anyone to play into this excitement and then provide something to lack luster, truly is a slap in the face.

And this wasn't a surprise to me. My bar has been set so low for this iteration of the game, that what they gave us just followed in it's footsteps. And I don't feel that people are blowing this out of proportion. I get where they are coming from. No matter if you've been around since the start or started playing along the way. We've invested time and money into this game. And honestly, without players the Sims wouldn't have made it to 20 years. They need to stop treating us so dirty. Stop under funding the game. And give us the quality that we are use to.

Do I enjoy Sims 4? Yes, for what it's worth. Would I have loved it to be the game that they promised? heck yeah. But sadly it isn't. And honestly, at this point I'm not even looking forward to Sims 5 - if we even get one. With whispers of it possibly being multiplayer - ugh. No mention of fleshing out the sims again, and giving them character like in Sims 2. Removing shallow game play and nothing about returning back to a life simulation.

They need to build that trust back up again. But I'm still hopeful, even a little bit.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

edited February 2020

I mean, it's not a live service in the same way that MMOs are, certainly. But the definition of live service is changing and evolving to include more than just subscriptions and microtransactions. The Sims 4 does continuously offer new content for purchase in order to fund further development of the game. And they also offer game patches on a fairly regular, almost monthly basis. So the basic premise and reasoning for it is still applicable.

You are right, it isn't a live service in the way of an MMO. It also isn't a live service in the way of cloud gaming or season passes. It also doesn't have microtransactions, unlike it's predecessor. The only aspect that even comes close to a game as a service is if one uses EA's premium service on Origin. Otherwise, this game plays exactly like each of the previous iterations, minus the aforementioned Sims 3 microtransactions.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited February 2020

You are right, it isn't a live service in the way of an MMO. It also isn't a live service in the way of cloud gaming or season passes. It also doesn't have microtransactions, unlike it's predecessor. The only aspect that even comes close to a game as a service is if one uses EA's premium service on Origin. Otherwise, this game plays exactly like each of the previous iterations, minus the aforementioned Sims 3 microtransactions.

Another aspect is having a foundation that doesn’t fundamentally change for years and years and instead keeps building out from the edges over time with an endless stream of paid content. In this way it’s able to sustain itself indefinitely. And that’s certainly characteristic of GaaS.

One could argue that the series has used a version of the service model in its previous iterations as well.
    So_Money wrote: »

Another aspect is having a foundation that doesn’t fundamentally change for years and years and instead keeps building out from the edges over time with an endless stream of paid content. In this way it’s able to sustain itself indefinitely. And that’s certainly characteristic of GaaS.

One could argue that the series has used a version of the service model in its previous iterations as well.

I understand what you're saying, but when we extrapolate to that degree aren't we making every game with paid DLC into a game-as-service title? Is Crusader Kings 2 a service title? Train Simulator? They both have large amounts of DLC, which has funded the continued development of the game.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited February 2020
    So_Money wrote: »

I understand what you're saying, but when we extrapolate to that degree aren't we making every game with paid DLC into a game-as-service title? Is Crusader Kings 2 a service title? Train Simulator? They both have large amounts of DLC, which has funded the continued development of the game.

Not every game with paid DLC, just ones that have been around forever with no planned end to the DLC or plans for a sequel.

CK2 I could see being classed as a service, although I think they might have had an endgame in mind (CK3) and that might disqualify it. Still, I’d buy that argument.

I don’t know anything about Train Simulator, but I’d say if it was similar, and if there wasn’t a plan in place for an eventual sequel, then yes it becomes a service at a certain point.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member

That's true, except that now we get freebies and bug fixes patched in on the regular. In a way, The Sims games have always been set up to be a live service one day, because they've always functioned differently than most games and had way more add-on content than other games throughout their life spans, continuing to be developed rather than finishing as a one-shot game with maybe one or two expansions. That was pretty unique for a single player game back in the day, wasn't it?

But Sims 3, yeah, that store was the first (and hopefully only) big, bold move to include microtransactions, which was one of the (many) reasons I was completely turned off by it.
    #Team Occult
    Gordy wrote: »

And they gave it. They could have locked swimming pools behind a stuff pack. They could have locked toddlers behind a game pack. Would that have been good? No. But it would have been in their right.

They deliver lots of free content, despite the fact that we do not have a right to it. At question is the fact that some people are upset that they didn't like what free content was offered this time around.
    You don't have to keep defending weak or bad practices because it could be worse. Yes, EA could be greedier, and get away with it. Many of those "hero objects" in SPs are proof of that, But we shouldn't just give them a pass for not living up to our (already very low) standards. They shouldn't be praised for being mediocre instead of terrible. We should rightfully complain in order to have our voices heard and hopefully lead to changes.

Also, patched-in content aren't simple hand-outs. They're essentially gifts for continued support, and because the game was so bare-bones at launch, they really had to try and catch up to previous games. They exist to try and keep our attention, to keep us interested in order to sell us products or mark us down as a statistic. ("Over 1 bajillion people played this week! 1.6 million WooHoos!") While they don't exactly have to give us this stuff, it's a give-and-take thing.

Yeah, I'm not defending anything. I'm stating that we're not owed free content. And we aren't.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I really want to shout it out loud how frustrated I am. I'm a very grateful person in every aspect, trying to be positive most of the time because I don't want to be regretful, towards the end of the day. But, their plan for the 20th Anniversary to such an "iconic" & "legendary" franchise is xxxx! What is so special to reminisce the game only on this day? If the game is great, every day is a happy day for me. The franchise just blew out the opportunity to make the best celebration of their 20th of sweat, blood, & tears! And of course, our money! Toxic? Nope. I don't think so. People do have a right to be disappointed like how some people are happy with a hot tub with a roof! I don't need free contents most of the time, but please make the game better than yesterday. Share what is the plan for 2020 to letting us know that The Sims is only getting better. Please do remember that most of the players grew up with this franchise. We're not school kids anymore. Some of us are professionals in our own fields. We grew up, but The Sims is maintaining their status quo. :|

Btw, thanks for the patch.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Interesting theme I've noticed: if anyone voices a criticism or a negative opinion, at least one person will say something to the effect of "omg, the Sims community is so hateful and toxic, we should all just be grateful." Such comnents are downright dismissive of any sort of thoughtful debate or discussion of how things could be made better for all players. Everyone is always supposed to be happy no matter what? That's not how feedback works. A good developer or company will consider all feedback and use negative feedback to guide where improvement efforts need to be focused. Sure, no one likes to hear that they did something wrong or that something could have been done better, but that's how growth occurs.

I've read through many of the comments on this thread, and none of them are particularly egregious. Plenty of users have respectfully voiced valid concerns and gave clear rationales of why they are disappointed. But if a small minority makes statements such as "AHH, IT'S SO UGLY," then anyone who says something negative is labeled as toxic. Simply saying something is ugly, while not constructive, is a rather harmless opinion and really isn't toxic. Toxic should not be used as a term to describe ideas one doesn't agree with.

As a side note, I saw someone replicate the hot tub today using objects already available in game and I could barely tell the difference. So yeah, I can see why some people who have spent thousands on the series over the last 20 years might be a tad disappointed. I don't think most people were expecting anything huge, but maybe the heart shaped bed, pool table or the return of a favorite NPC might have been met with more enthusiasm.

Couldn't agree more...
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited February 2020

You don't need to be connected to the internet 24/7 to be a live service.

Also, the content isn't really free either. EA counts it as revenue, they've been over this multiple times. This is why they can only announce free content in the same fiscal quarter it's coming in, because it's tracked financially. There is an entire team dedicated to free content simply because it makes them money to do so.

Again, it shouldn't matter whether it's free or not. This isn't a charity. You know just as well as I do that if they stopped giving free content there would be massive uproar. It's been a thing since at least the sims 2 days.

If you're happy with a hot tub then fine, so be it. If it were any other patch id think it was kinda neat.

I know some people are upset they're patching in hot tubs, but as a general rule of thumb, it's 5 years old at this point, hot tubs are up for grabs. It'd be one thing to suddenly make juice pong free.

It's not cool to tell people they have to be happy and can't complain just because something is free. They KNEW expectations would be higher for the anniversary and they failed to deliver.

Again, this isn't a charity, this is a business that is trying to get me to spend over a hundred dollars every year on their product.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

You don't need to be connected to the internet 24/7 to be a live service.

Also, the content isn't really free either. EA counts it as revenue, they've been over this multiple times. This is why they can only announce free content in the same fiscal quarter it's coming in, because it's tracked financially. There is an entire team dedicated to free content simply because it makes them money to do so.

Again, it shouldn't matter whether it's free or not. This isn't a charity. You know just as well as I do that if they stopped giving free content there would be massive uproar. It's been a thing since at least the sims 2 days.

If you're happy with a hot tub then fine, so be it. If it were any other patch id think it was kinda neat.

I know some people are upset they're patching in hot tubs, but as a general rule of thumb, it's 5 years old at this point, hot tubs are up for grabs. It'd be one thing to suddenly make juice pong free.

It's not cool to tell people they have to be happy and can't complain just because something is free. They KNEW expectations would be higher for the anniversary and they failed to deliver.

Again, this isn't a charity, this is a business that is trying to get me to spend over a hundred dollars every year on their product.

Who am I telling to be happy? Where did I tell them this?
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited February 2020
    I'm not at all concerned with what was in the patch at all. They could've given us reskinned counters, and called it a day, for all I care. I'm more concerned with the larger picture, 20th anniversary and where is the franchise at currently. And personally, I'm really bored with The Sims. It feels like it's been an unchanged experience for years on end, and they've failed to innovate with this latest title. The series feels like it lacks a strong identity, too, and the only time they become remotely close to possessing one is when they plop Bella Goth on a banner for the umpteenth time.

But, scale of content within the patch aside, the patch itself really stands as testament of how reductive the game is. Patching in songs that finally do not have no-name Soundcloud artists featured like all of TS4's radio stations do, but songs that are from the club scene in 2011. "We Are Young" in 2020? Really??? Who left their 2nd gen iPod Touch playlist around the Maxis leads? :lol:

And I do think people have the right to feel disappointed/irked that hot tubs were locked behind a $10 pay-wall for 5 years, and suddenly, the object is free for everyone. Between things like that and the fact these packs go 50% off as soon as a few weeks after release, it truly shows there is little reason to preorder or buy packs around release date. Should the fans continue to pay $40 for poorly made, buggy expansion packs to become nothing more than EA's Q&A?

I'm going to continue what I've been doing for the past few years and continue voting with my wallet. 20 years later and the series has declined. This patch and thread contents only support my opinion.
  • carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    everything seems ok with the latest patch in my game xxx
  • BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I'm not at all concerned with what was in the patch at all. They could've given us reskinned counters, and called it a day, for all I care. I'm more concerned with the larger picture, 20th anniversary and where is the franchise at currently. And personally, I'm really bored with The Sims. It feels like it's been an unchanged experience for years on end, and they've failed to innovate with this latest title. The series feels like it lacks a strong identity, too, and the only time they become remotely close to possessing one is when they plop Bella Goth on a banner for the umpteenth time.

But, scale of content within the patch aside, the patch itself really stands as testament of how reductive the game is. Patching in songs that finally do not have no-name Soundcloud artists featured like all of TS4's radio stations do, but songs that are from the club scene in 2011. "We Are Young" in 2020? Really??? Who left their 2nd gen iPod Touch playlist around the Maxis leads? :lol:

And I do think people have the right to feel disappointed/irked that hot tubs were locked behind a $10 pay-wall for 5 years, and suddenly, the object is free for everyone. Between things like that and the fact these packs go 50% off as soon as a few weeks after release, it truly shows there is little reason to preorder or buy packs around release date. Should the fans continue to pay $40 for poorly made, buggy expansion packs to become nothing more than EA's Q&A?

I'm going to continue what I've been doing for the past few years and continue voting with my wallet. 20 years later and the series has declined. This patch and thread contents only support my opinion.

Especially since one of the Gurus (Probably Grant) specifically stated this was our chance for hot tubs because they probably wouldn't revisit it. That's because some people didn't like the style and were saying they might wait for future ones and that was a guru's response!
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    im 40 and i started playing the sims when i was 20 is anyone the same??
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

Especially since one of the Gurus (Probably Grant) specifically stated this was our chance for hot tubs because they probably wouldn't revisit it. That's because some people didn't like the style and were saying they might wait for future ones and that was a guru's response!

Just puzzling.

But they have no problem revisiting dog/cat attire for the third time in the next community stuff pack?
  • BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member

Just puzzling.

But they have no problem revisiting dog/cat attire for the third time in the next community stuff pack?

No clue what was going on there. It was Grant so I probably shouldn't have bought into it tbf.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top