Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

NEW UPDATE?!

Comments

• jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Firstly, I'd like to thank the team for the new hot tub and songs.

BUT this patch was ridiculously small and pathetic for a game series that is 20 years old. I wasn't expecting anything huge but c'mon :lol:
    Just a few bug fixes and...that's... all?
    Wait-what.jpg

Hopefully, this will not be the only thing they do for the 20th-anniversary celebrations and I hope that this was just the beginning. Not expecting any free objects or the like but maybe something more than this sad spectacle :lol:
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    They should be ashamed of themselves, honestly.

Here's a free hot tub for all of you who never bought it for $10. As for those of you that did? We put a roof on it.....thanks for being loyal.

^---- THIS...I'm sorry but you are speaking the truth!
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    edited February 2020
    Meh, okay It's a hot tub. Just so so. Do the plumbobs stay the same green color or do they change? I can't tell if they are part of the hot tube or if the plumbobs are just on that swatch.

its swatch there is some plain colors too with no plumbob
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    They should be ashamed of themselves, honestly.

Here's a free hot tub for all of you who never bought it for $10. As for those of you that did? We put a roof on it.....thanks for being loyal.

^---- THIS...I'm sorry but you are speaking the truth!

lol. I said I would hold off to give them time for their "celebration" of 20 years. I did. So now I can provide my feedback on it.
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    Gee thanks for the hot tub but, I already have some from Perfect Patio. And - after the update - I cannot re-enable my script mods like I always do after an update - it won't let me do it - just lovely - sigh.
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    Not everybody can afford to buy every single pack upon release, and it doesn't make those players any less loyal as we're still playing the game and have been since 2000.
    @LiELF Very poor taste, indeed.
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think that there are a bunch of factors going on that have lead up to this particular feeling of disappointment.

First of all, in the past few articles I've read with developers and producers from Maxis and even Andrew Wilson the CEO, they continue to restate how they are listening to players' wishes and making their best efforts to comply with requests. And while that sentiment is certainly appreciated, there remain many specific highly requested things from players that have still, after almost five and a half years, not been offered or changed. And while we can say, sure, these things may very well come in the future, that people are just being impatient, it does stand to reason that the longer a request goes unfulfilled, the more excuses and explanations that come for why it was pushed back again, or complete silence remains on the matter altogether, it can be expected that this kind of non-activity will breed disappointment and distrust with its customers. There are no guarantees to what players will actually get or not get, and some people have, understandably, grown tired of the guessing games. Now, sure, as players we should all come to terms with the fact that the final control of the product and releases is entirely in command of the Sims studio, and we should be wary of spending our money accordingly. But the absolute truth is, the Sims 4 is probably the most expensive game out there, if you take into consideration owning all of the packs to complete the game. And yes, what we purchase is, again, optional, but the entire point of having expansions (including GPs and SPs) is to extend the incomplete base game and fill in the blanks where it falls flat. And this is done with our money. Lots of it. So a game that costs its players hundreds (or leading into thousands) of dollars should definitely be held accountable for delivering satisfactory content, especially when the publisher, EA, has such a bad reputation of doing things against player wishes in the name of "innovation" and revenue to please investors. So, what does this have to do with the anniversary?

Players on these forums have been talking about the 20th anniversary for years now. There has been constant speculation about what kind of celebration, what will be released, ideas ranging from re-releasing older games onto Origin, to base game content fixes, to revered objects, to the first whispers of Sims 5 or the franchise as a whole. And while I've seen people struggling to keep their expectations in check all the way up until today, there have still been many a hopeful thread filled with ideas and wishes and discussions on what the 20th means to us. Meanwhile, the devs have, on their end, been talking about the anniversary a lot since last year, feeding softly into the expectations of the community and leading people to believe that something special will be done to celebrate.

So although I'm a supporter of the "keep expectations low" mantra regarding patched content, I also have to question why, if Maxis is so engaged with the community and wish-fulfillment, weren't they aware of the excitement and expectations of their players and prepared to offer something a little more special for PC?

In my speculation, it's coming down to a realization that the Sims 4 must be improperly funded. With EA being so determined to keep costs low and revenue high (as they mention in almost every quarterly report), the game is not getting the attention it needs, and the developers are cut off from having the freedom to produce an exceptional game with acceptable content worth the price we are paying. Today's patch is demonstrable of this - a recycled "hero object" gameplay item from a previously released Stuff Pack with a new skin. I'm sorry, but this time, I think players have a good reason to feel let down.

EA. Don't proclaim all over the internet that you are listening to the players and working hard to fulfill our wishes and then turn your backs on expectations that were years in the making. And while I can't say that I'm truly "upset" about this, as I keep my gaming entertainment perspective in check, I do think it was a poor taste decision and I am definitely disappointed that they really dropped the ball today. It's time to kick the corporates in the bum to cough up some more funding for this game or do something to bring about some positive change because this "celebration" bombed and it's going to take a lot moving forward from here to restore some of that faith.

Hear hear...heck, you know what I would have LOVED? Something JUST like TS2 UC BUT It's TS1 released on origin like TS1 UC...I would LOVE to play the old game again now made for newer systems...I would have HONESTLY adored this.
    auginstine wrote: »
    EA has been giving pack exclusive items for awhile (photography/cameras, multiple CAS from toddler/fitness, and build items), they simply could careless. Hot tubs were the sole gameplay item from Perfect Patio. I doubt people bought it for the 3 hairstyles, less than 10 CAS items, and the patio furniture which includes an “outdoor” speaker, that still breaks in the rain. At the end of the day, it’s the same exact item with a different skin that most likely was scrapped from the original stuff pack. The gnome in the picture with a 15th hat on really symbolizes how much they care about their anniversary.

would it killed them to make a special render for us?? It just shows us they truly are lazy.
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think that there are a bunch of factors going on that have lead up to this particular feeling of disappointment.

First of all, in the past few articles I've read with developers and producers from Maxis and even Andrew Wilson the CEO, they continue to restate how they are listening to players' wishes and making their best efforts to comply with requests. And while that sentiment is certainly appreciated, there remain many specific highly requested things from players that have still, after almost five and a half years, not been offered or changed. And while we can say, sure, these things may very well come in the future, that people are just being impatient, it does stand to reason that the longer a request goes unfulfilled, the more excuses and explanations that come for why it was pushed back again, or complete silence remains on the matter altogether, it can be expected that this kind of non-activity will breed disappointment and distrust with its customers. There are no guarantees to what players will actually get or not get, and some people have, understandably, grown tired of the guessing games. Now, sure, as players we should all come to terms with the fact that the final control of the product and releases is entirely in command of the Sims studio, and we should be wary of spending our money accordingly. But the absolute truth is, the Sims 4 is probably the most expensive game out there, if you take into consideration owning all of the packs to complete the game. And yes, what we purchase is, again, optional, but the entire point of having expansions (including GPs and SPs) is to extend the incomplete base game and fill in the blanks where it falls flat. And this is done with our money. Lots of it. So a game that costs its players hundreds (or leading into thousands) of dollars should definitely be held accountable for delivering satisfactory content, especially when the publisher, EA, has such a bad reputation of doing things against player wishes in the name of "innovation" and revenue to please investors. So, what does this have to do with the anniversary?

Players on these forums have been talking about the 20th anniversary for years now. There has been constant speculation about what kind of celebration, what will be released, ideas ranging from re-releasing older games onto Origin, to base game content fixes, to revered objects, to the first whispers of Sims 5 or the franchise as a whole. And while I've seen people struggling to keep their expectations in check all the way up until today, there have still been many a hopeful thread filled with ideas and wishes and discussions on what the 20th means to us. Meanwhile, the devs have, on their end, been talking about the anniversary a lot since last year, feeding softly into the expectations of the community and leading people to believe that something special will be done to celebrate.

So although I'm a supporter of the "keep expectations low" mantra regarding patched content, I also have to question why, if Maxis is so engaged with the community and wish-fulfillment, weren't they aware of the excitement and expectations of their players and prepared to offer something a little more special for PC?

In my speculation, it's coming down to a realization that the Sims 4 must be improperly funded. With EA being so determined to keep costs low and revenue high (as they mention in almost every quarterly report), the game is not getting the attention it needs, and the developers are cut off from having the freedom to produce an exceptional game with acceptable content worth the price we are paying. Today's patch is demonstrable of this - a recycled "hero object" gameplay item from a previously released Stuff Pack with a new skin. I'm sorry, but this time, I think players have a good reason to feel let down.

EA. Don't proclaim all over the internet that you are listening to the players and working hard to fulfill our wishes and then turn your backs on expectations that were years in the making. And while I can't say that I'm truly "upset" about this, as I keep my gaming entertainment perspective in check, I do think it was a poor taste decision and I am definitely disappointed that they really dropped the ball today. It's time to kick the corporates in the bum to cough up some more funding for this game or do something to bring about some positive change because this "celebration" bombed and it's going to take a lot moving forward from here to restore some of that faith.

Hear hear...heck, you know what I would have LOVED? Something JUST like TS2 UC BUT It's TS1 released on origin like TS1 UC...I would LOVE to play the old game again now made for newer systems...I would have HONESTLY adored this.

They would never do that. It would show the many, many, many faults and deficiencies of Sims 4 as a successor.
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 454 Member
    Excited for the new hot tub! =D
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited February 2020
    auginstine wrote: »
    EA has been giving pack exclusive items for awhile (photography/cameras, multiple CAS from toddler/fitness, and build items), they simply could careless. Hot tubs were the sole gameplay item from Perfect Patio. I doubt people bought it for the 3 hairstyles, less than 10 CAS items, and the patio furniture which includes an “outdoor” speaker, that still breaks in the rain. At the end of the day, it’s the same exact item with a different skin that most likely was scrapped from the original stuff pack. The gnome in the picture with a 15th hat on really symbolizes how much they care about their anniversary.

would it killed them to make a special render for us?? It just shows us they truly are lazy.

Renders are too expensive to make....they will only do renders if it brings them money, like when they wanted to promote the gender patch, or celebrity sim renders.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited February 2020
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Not everybody can afford to buy every single pack upon release, and it doesn't make those players any less loyal as we're still playing the game and have been since 2000.

We did not say you weren't though...or did anyone say that? Don't play the victim card in order to defend EA when no one even told you were less or more loyal. EA themselves don't care about their players buying their overexpensive stuff for over 20 years. They simply don't care about their costumers, never did, only about the money they bring. The free hot tub is a slap in the face for everyone who bought the SP.

Correction. It's a slap in the face to those who bought the pack Primarily for the hot tubs. I haven't used the hot tubs once since I got it, but I have used a lot of the other furniture and the CAS items.

Look, I'm not exactly impressed with this update either. The songs mean nothing to me, the hot tub is kinda cool looking but not likely to be used any more than the ones I already have and the bug fixes I was hoping for didn't happen.

I can't participate in any giveaways or sales because I have all the packs (thank you, in-laws) and even if I didn't... I try to keep my social media presence on the small side, and as much fun as I have with the Sims, I haven't been inspired to do any fan art, or videos, or anything like that. I have 1 - just 1 - simlit planned on tumblr that I haven't even started (because I'm trying to finish my current save first.)

There may be more things coming in the week ahead, and some people may end up looking childish because of it. Or there may be nothing more of use coming in the week ahead and others may end up looking naive.

I can't control what Maxis/EA does. I can only control how I react. And I just don't have the energy these days to get upset about a lackluster patch. There are far more pressing things to be upset about in my world, and I prefer to use the Sims as a way to escape them.
    Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    Aww man I read hot tub and I thought finally an in ground one I could fit perfectly next to my pools. One day 💁🏻‍♀️
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    We only got a hot tub and new music? What is this....?!
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Amiutza wrote: »
    Aww man I read hot tub and I thought finally an in ground one I could fit perfectly next to my pools. One day 💁🏻‍♀️
    A ground one would have been cool. I tried making one with the terrain tool, but not very functional. I kind of miss the pool bar from the Sims 3 too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited February 2020
    I really can't stand when people tell us to be grateful to a company, as if companies are doing any of us a favor. we're paying them not the other way around. The nerve to be told to be grateful to a company like Ea and with their bad reputation/history in the gaming community is absurd. With the short comings of sims 4, we have every right to get what was missing from the get go patched in. A what people failed to get is that when it comes to this game, nothing is free. You had to buy this game just to get the updates/patches so you have already paid them in advance. Like seriously, stop acting like companies are your friends and that you can't critique them. It'd no wonder why the gaming industry is the way it is now

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I could like this 100 times.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2020
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Apparently there will always be someone who will be never satisfied. Peace.

I apreciate anything we get. Thanks to gurus for their effort. It means a lot. They create the game I absolutely adore <3 I can't wait to check it in my game.

Wild thought here, but we don't HAVE to be happy with everything we get when it's a game we pay hundreds of dollars a year for.

If you're happy great. A lot of us were expecting more for the big 20.

How much did you pay for this update?

70 dollars.

I hate the mentality. I paid for the game. "they don't have to patch in things free for you, be grateful."

Yes they do, nobody would ever play this game if they didn't support it via patches.

The mentality that we're not allowed to be dissapointed with something without people jumping on you and saying "be grateful" is also ridiculous.

For the record, my expectations were pretty low. I only expected a new trait from a previous sims game or something similar like they did last time.

This isn't a charity case. It's literally their job to come out with content that attracts and keeps players, and this update has been a massive let down. I pay over a hundred dollars a year, so that's how much it costs.

They do support the game with new content, just like every other iteration. What we're talking about is that you wanted some free stuff for the anniversary. They gave you free stuff, but you wanted other free stuff. What seems to happen is that the community sets unreasonable expectations as far as free content goes and then gets all worked up when those expectations aren't met. Maybe it isn't the dev team's fault.

You may be right EA/Maxis did not have to give anything for the 20th anniversary and I hardly even play it anymore but some do not care about about free content and more about fixing the game from base game on up to the present pack and to date they only fix an little at an time and how old is Sims 4 again? I find it interesting that packs are being spit out faster than any patch that is released and the cost of fixing the base game to the present pack should not even come into the mix because people did spend money on the product and if the game is tweaked more often than an pack is released, people would be more acceptive. I am just amazed that Sims 4 has less features than Sims 2 and 3 and there are lot of complaints about bugs and all. Again, some want fixes more than an cheap shiny item and if people expect more more that is their opinion and wish even if it may not happen. Another thing recolors being sold in packs for me is bad for me it was an free feature once and now it is an option one must pay for now like the Neighborhoods which was created once upon an time by the customer and now you must pay.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top