Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Say Paralives Is An Actual Game... (Build Mode talk)

13...Next

Comments

• BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    I think people are mistaking graphics for art style. The style he's chosen for the game is pretty common for indie games. Simple and low poly games can look beautiful, too. The simpler style makes it easier to focus on game play.

...but when you've played a game that's put graphics over game play for so long, I guess I can see the turn off.
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    CrownSims wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    All I’ve seen so far is a curved wall. They’ve got a lonnnggg way to go if they want to be a Sims competitor because right now it just looks like an iPhone app. I’d rather play Design Home than this based on what you all keep posting.

I wish y’all would post threads about this game in the Off Topic section where they belong.

"Paralives will include many fan-favourite features in the base game, such as:
    Dogs
    Cats
    Horses
    Cars
    Weather
    Small Boats
    Custom house boats
    Diagonal staircases!
    Curved pools!! "

Maybe you should check out the paraliveshub before saying that. This game really does have potential to be big, and frankly, I hope it does. It's the wake-up call that EA needs.

Also I find it funny how a small indie company can do all of that, but EA, with boatloads of money, offers us half-baked, overpriced packs. Imagine if Paralives had the same funding that EA has..... I Iove the Sims, but I don't like the direction it's going.

Sounds too good to be true...but if it is, The Sims/EA is doomed.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    All I’ve seen so far is a curved wall. They’ve got a lonnnggg way to go if they want to be a Sims competitor because right now it just looks like an iPhone app. I’d rather play Design Home than this based on what you all keep posting.

I wish y’all would post threads about this game in the Off Topic section where they belong.

Dogs
    Cats
    Horses
    Cars
    Weather
    Small Boats
    Custom house boats
    Diagonal staircases!
    Curved pools!! "

Maybe you should check out the paraliveshub before saying that. This game really does have potential to be big, and frankly, I hope it does. It's the wake-up call that EA needs.

Also I find it funny how a small indie company can do all of that, but EA, with boatloads of money, offers us half-baked, overpriced packs. Imagine if Paralives had the same funding that EA has..... I Iove the Sims, but I don't like the direction it's going.

I'd rather Paradox made the competitor. More resources. What if they were already doing in secret what this person is doing on his own. Who would own the copyright? Why call it PARAlives?
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    You wrote: »
    I don’t know why people are so destined to see this game fail, do people not realize that competition is great for games??? Y’all should be hoping it does well.

Yes. Everybody should be happy about this. Because it seems to me there’s two types of people: the type who are loyal to ts4 and the type who are getting sick of it and are looking to give up with ts4 and move on. However it’s a win-win for both since the loyal members of the franchise will get better content because of it yet the non loyal players can move into a new game. I don’t see why there’s so much complaining.

Maybe some people know that The Sims 4 is not as good as they want to believe it is and they are afraid of a competitor.
    Maybe, but they share a fair point since all we seen is footage, gifts and quick video over one mode of the game. I too would feel skeptical about it. Heck, I myself not that interesting so far until any teaser from live. Though from what I seen it could be a better construction if it too includes everything or overall better additions than the sims had offered for building tools.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,442 Member
    While I am keeping loose tabs on this project, I'm not jumping the gun yet with expectations that it will be anything like the Sims games in gameplay. I play The Sims for specific reasons relating to the Sims behaviors and type of gameplay, player control, and certain flexibility and customization. I really won't be able to gauge if it's for me or not until I see some actual play of the ParaPeople and how that works. Pets and weather are nice and all, but it still tells me nothing about the actual game.
    #Team Occult
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    Different people will have different personal preferences, but gameplay weighs much greater than graphics for me personally. So that's not at all a dealbreaker. What would make a difference is things like how limited the build features turn out to be for things that I personally like to do. Like stack more than one window on the same wall, things like that. Also how the economy is handled, and how gameplay weighs fun vs. reality. I like a realistic baseline, but definitely erring on the fun side over the drudgery of reality. I don't want food to spoil, don't want limitations on what time I can call my best friend, things like that. So how it looks as a whole when it actually launches is what I take into consideration. Also, this guy is completely unknown to me, and I've been led down the primrose path before, so I would watch for a while and see how he handles running the game. A good while, because I am very picky with whom I trust.

The problem for me, however, is that it is a Steam game. I fully understand why he is doing it that way, and it is a good choice for him. However, my opinion of Valve is pretty much in the same category as EA, and I won't ever trust Steam on my computer. The reason I have Origin in the first place is because at the time it was less bad than Steam. So, the game only being available on Steam is a dealbraker for me.

If it ever gets to the point where he decides to broaden distribution and the price is extremely reasonable, I would definitely consider it should the feature set turn out to be mostly enough of my cup of tea. I'd be playing Project Gorgon already if it weren't Steam-only. Even if a game looks really great, I don't need it bad enough to sell my gamer soul to Valve. That's something I just won't do.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Dogs
    Cats
    Horses
    Cars
    Weather
    Small Boats
    Custom house boats
    Diagonal staircases!
    Curved pools!! "

I'd rather Paradox made the competitor. More resources. What if they were already doing in secret what this person is doing on his own. Who would own the copyright? Why call it PARAlives?

It wasn't too long ago that Paradox was being called an indie developer.

Cities Skylines is what put them on the map.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    While I know you're speaking about this in relation to TS4, it is still about another game so I've moved this over to off topic.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    I was about to post that the reason The Sims doesn't have curved walls is that it would increase the complexity of routing, which might cause significant lag in the game. And then I remembered we do indeed have curved decks. So I am not really sure why not.

Why is your avatar so special and not a square? XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    But will the graphics improve? Because so far they’re not for me
    Probably not much. Here's what the dev said:

"The graphics will stay in the same style because making it realistic would require A LOT of work. Paralives is an indie game so the focus is on the gameplay instead"

and

"The low poly style and simple textures will help produce objects faster since the team will be small."

That statement alone is enough for me to not buy the game :neutral:
    I love competition, but it makes me sad yet angry to see some people talking trash about the sims just because they see a new game being made, and all we did see was building, I'm not even mentioning the style here.
    Those curved walls and tools surely look nice, but it makes me think about the live mode rotation.
    We'll just wait and see now won't we?.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited August 2019
    I plan on trying out this game when it releases. I play lots of games and probably spend too much on anything I find interesting and this is interesting.

As for it being competition for the sims... I pretty much can tell it won't be for me. The art style isn't really my thing.. it's kind of bland to me.. grayed a little I guess? I want to see the characters themselves that's what will be very important to me. If they look weird to me it doesn't mean I won't enjoy it as is.. but I've gotten use to having certain tools and want them or better for expressing what I want to in a game. I also want to see how they move and interact with the world and between themselves. I can't see it being expansive enough to replace the sims for me but that doesn't mean I won't find the game enjoyable and support it or even be a fan once I get to actually play it.
    I'm not a builder for the most part... I have to be really inspired by my characters to even attempt building for them so I hope it comes with premade homes or some way to get homes that others have built. The building tools look impressive especially the curving and bending so I can see why builders are interested and would love to try working with it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Some people seem to be really closed-minded...I can understand you want to stick with TS4, you don't want competition and blablabla but I mean the fact is here, a new game is coming, whether it will beat The Sims or not.

But this is not a fact. This is up for speculation on whether or not this “game” even comes into fruition.

At this point I'm 99% sure it is a game. You don't want to believe it, it's your choice, but I believe it. We'll discuss this years later (even tho I surely won't be in forums anymore). Anyway, if this game turns out to be true (wich I know it is), you'll think of me. ^^

Disagree.

Great, but I agree with my post. :smile:
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited February 2020
    The three developers are working on Parafolks. One of them is working on men I believe (or at least their face) and the main brains, Alex is testing procedure animation for Paralives. So IF the animation works out for those of you who wanted pre-teens you can have pre-teens with Paralives. But it's not 100% certiain. They're looking into have disabilities.. but at first it will be 'comestic' stuff like prosthetic leg and cochlear implants
    6adMCGP.gif