Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

First experiences with The Sims (20th birthday)

Comments

• MikkiMikkiMikkiMMikkiMikkiMikkiM Posts: 213 Member
    My first experience playing The Sims was in primary school. Probably not the most common place to first play The Sims! This was when The Sims had just been released, and PC gaming really wasn't a thing around me. Gaming was something you did on Gameboys or Playstations. A lot of people only had PCs for administrative things. So, I, in my youthful innocence, didn't even know that this was a game you could buy XD I thought it was just one of those standard games that were pre-installed on the PC. I stopped playing The Sims for a long time after that, so I don't actually have many memories from those first experiences. All I remember is that you could remove the shower while a Sims was showering to see them NAKED! XD Good times. In high school, one of my friends was an avid Sims player, so I kind of stayed 'in the loop' through watching her play, and then last year I finally decided to purchase The Sims 4 for myself :D
  • Armika74Armika74 Posts: 367 Member
    When I first got Sims 1 I did´nt know how to place objects so I placed the fridge with the door against the wall. I could not understand why Michael Bachelor starved to death :D
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    My first time playing was the sims 3 at a friend's house, overseas, in 2009. I loved it, though it was a few years before I played it again, as we only had a basic shared laptop at home. When I finally bought my own, I'd forgotten about it. Seeing an ad for uni at the local eb reminded me, and I bough the base game and some expansions.

I was very inexperienced for a long time, but while I set sims houses on fire via stove, or got sims embarrassed, they never did die (aging off, for cosmetics rather than health), until I tried one of those interesting-looking jelly beans. Of course, I had no idea how rare the event was at the time, or how to record it!
  • LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    I remember that I had my twins taken away because I didn’t know how to mange them when I first started also I remember the first time I had a pregnant sim die in the sims 2 I was so shocked 😂
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • ernesdoernesdo Posts: 1,476 Member
    My very first save was in Sims 3 and I wanted to make one of my characters and his toddler daughter.

My first mistake was that I didn't realize I needed to make them father/daughter in CAS... I guess I just assumed they would automatically be family? :D

Second mistake was spending all my sims' money before buying the toddler a bed... Had my sim work days before he saved enough for a bed (toddler would just pass out to get rest every now and then, whoops!), and I was so excited to place a bed for her!! ... a twin bed. I did not know that toddlers use cribs and when I figured it out, selling the bed did not recoup enough money for a crib
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    edited February 2020
    @MelissaStarbees, my child playing TS4 had a baby in the kitchen and there was a fire and the baby burned. I have never had that happen but it took a bit to calm my child down and explain not to keep SIM babies so close to the stove. The kid was ok but a bit shaken at first. I was concerned about sorting out my child but just baffled about the game mechanics allowing a baby to burn to death.

After SIM city, I slid into the PC TS4 on 2015 and have not looked back. I love the camaraderie with my fellow challenge builders, my most downloaded lots seem to be parks though. I love collaborative and challenge building especially when it comes to creator art on the gallery. Challenge play is another favourite aspect. Most important is the peer support on the gallery and forums.

👏Long Love the SIMs👏🍸
    🎂Happy 20th Birthday Sims franchise🎂
    ❤️🍸To great fun, Sim shenanigans , and a fantastic community past, present and future 🍸❤️
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    My first experience with the sims was the Sims 2 deluxe, my brother had gotten it as he saw a commercial for night life and thought it looked fun and that was our first experience of a game with a base game. We didn't know it needed a base game and all my brother had gotten when we went to the game shop was The Sim 2 night life. When we got home my mom helped him install it and it gave her the message of needing a base game so she went back to the shop and told them what was happening. They explained how it worked to us and exchanged night life for The Sims 2 Deluxe.

Now playing oh so many mistakes were made! but i think my favorite was when i'd taken my sim out on her first date and Mrs. Crumplebottom showed up and slapped my sims around for showing public affection. At first, i had no idea what my sims had done to make her mad at them so i watched her and saw she was slapping other sims around that displayed affection and it clicked.

• Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    Oh, Sims. I've been with you since day one and I will more than likely be with you until I can't clearly see the screen I'm playing you on. You always have and always will hold a special place in my heart. You may not know this, but you've helped me through many a bad day in the real world, which, I find a bit ironic, seeing that you're a life-based simulator. Anywho. Happy birthday and thank you! May you have at least 20 more wonderfully wicked and wild years to come!

co9P4p5.jpg
  • ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    I hope the 20th anniversary doesn't resume to this post.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I've played all except 2, and when I was playing on 3 and was new to it, I recall when my witch SIM had just started seeing (not yet boyfriend) Dante Morganthe in Moonlight Falls. He was a tough one at times, he'd yell at my SIM then turn around and give her flowers lol.

Once she was meeting him for a date, he actually didn't cancel, and I recall seeing him on the side of road just standing as she passed in her car, his spot would change according to where she was driving at that moment, was creepy and the coolest thing I'd seen.

It was odd to discover he had a sweet side that didn't always show. He was over late at my sims home once and she had just gone to sleep, just before he left I saw him go to her coffee machine and make her coffee and then leave without taking any.

Before that game happened (it was my second game in 3) I had another SIM, human and she was dating Martin Bertiger the very first vampire I'd seen besides the Van Ghould family. I recall my SIM being with Martin Bertiger just after they developed to become engaged and somehow (been so long can't recall all details) they were standing at the Van Ghoulds mailbox.

The strangest thing happened and I haven't seen it since, but Van Ghouls did a diff mesmerize on my sim and she could not move,he stepped away from her and was conversing about my SIM to Martin. I could tell bc her face was in chat bubbles when they were talking. It was like Ayden was asking Martin if he was sure or something. Then not very long after she was released from this that I could not get her out of and she left with Martin to go home and they married.

When he died, as he was older than she was, she was inconsolable. After that I started saving up,for age freeze potions for my SIM couples, was too sad. Very strange part before tho as no matter how many times I've played that since, alot, it's never happened before but sure was cool.
  • Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    I know I already posted here, and that was before coffee! I’ve been thinking back on all the many many many hours, days, and weeks of drama, experimentation, building, laughs, frustration, triumphs, brilliant (and not so brilliant) ideas for things to try in game, the Sims of days and years gone by that I’ve grown attached to, the Sims I’ve hated, the excitement of discovery, thrill of that first thunderstorm in game, the sense of peace during the first game snowfall... all the many wonderful memories and good times this franchise has brought over the years. And then it occurred to me...

Very little of that fondness and love springs from Sims 4. 😕

Honestly, other than a decent start on a build mode to rival all others, and loving the fantastic improvements to photography in that you can wander the world with your sims and capture photographs of a beautiful sunset etc... I just haven’t been able to build the same fond memories in 4. This makes me incredibly sad.
  • purpleplumpurpleplum Posts: 25 Member
    I had been wanting TS4 for so long, so when it was on sale for $5, I snatched it up. I made my sim marry the first guy she saw, which was Travis Scott. She literally locked him inside her house until the proposal option came up! lol
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Haven't had the chance to read all the stories here yet but I wanted to quickly post and thank you all for sharing your memories <3! This is going to be a lovely read, catch up with you later!
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,032 Member
    You're welcome @EA_Mai :)!
    4kkjdXo.png

• chealsycatchealsycat Posts: 2,974 Member
    I've been playing The Sims from the very beginning. And in every game I have my Chelsea The Cat. She's on the rainbow now 🌈 But she'll live in my game forever.
    Happy 20th Anniversary to TheSims from my Chelsea!
    h7AApEmzbBw.jpg
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    I love hearing all these stories.
    Oh hamburgers!
  • MeteoraStormMeteoraStorm Posts: 243 Member
    My son had borrowed Sims 1 from a friend. I played once and was instantly hooked! I bought all of the expansions and have followed it through from then on.

My first mistake was with my first family. They all died in a fire! I was bereft, but I learned quickly, and haven't looked back.

Happy 20th Birthday, you have given me many hours of entertainment :)<3
  • chealsycatchealsycat Posts: 2,974 Member
    And 3 years ago, I made a video to celebrate The Sims' Birthday and Valentine Day. <3
    https://youtu.be/jC2H2Yl5UjQ
  • SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    edited February 2020
    Wow. I've been playing Sims 4 for about a year now (seems longer). But I've owned Sims FreePlay since it came out... and I genuinely tried to play it with the kind of stories you would in Sims 4. Without in-app purchases. I miss my characters sometimes, but I remade them in the Sims 4 and gave them, like, personalities.
    Anyway, I remember my rubbish plan to get the money to play the game without spending real money - create a bunch of sims, and have them do high-paying jobs on empty lots. Man, their lives were NOT ideal. But the one thing I remember most was the complete lack of sim death, and how I spent hours and hours trying to kill them, as I hadn't done all the quests yet and I wanted my elder sim to die.

Edit: And about Sims 4 mistakes... it took me three weeks of owning the game to figure out how to plant stuff. I am a bit of a noob sometimes.
    Edit 2: Another stupid mistake I made in Sims 4? Forgetting to put in smoke alarms every single time I made a house. Wait a minute, I STILL do that.
    Post edited by SquirrelTail15 on
    banner.png
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I will never forget how I learned the hard way from the guinea pig virus in Sims. I had a family of three: Mom, Dad, and daughter. The daughter came home from school and she started sneezing. And I thought how cool it was that there were allergies in the game. lol

So I deleted a few trees on the lot. She goes inside the house, talks with her dad, and then goes to play with her guinea pig. That's when Dad starts sneezing. I find it a bit strange, but go with the flow. His sneezing picks up. So I delete all the trees from the lot, also the shrubs with flowers.

Then the daughter gets bit by her guinea pig - for like the 4th time. Then her dad drops DEAD! I'm shook. I have no idea why he just died. lol Then Mom gets home from work. She's sneezing too. At this point my eyes start to narrow, and I'm getting worried. Like, why is everyone sneezing if I've removed all trees and plants? lol

I send mom to make dinner, she stops cooking and drops dead! Now this is were it gets fuzzy I'm like 99% sure kids can't die in any Sims game. I think I was so traumatized (but in a good way) that I've removed what happened next from my mind.

Of course I exit without saving. Now I'm still thinking this had to be cause by the trees. So I reloaded the lot, the last save is right before the daughter comes home from school. I delete every single plant, flower, and tree from the lot. But the parents die again!

So I load again, thinking maybe it's not the trees, maybe there's a gas leak. 😂 So this time I remove the stove, and the toaster oven. And that's when I remember that the daughter ends up getting bit for the fourth time by the guinea pig, so I delete that too.

They die again!

I move house.

They die again.

I think that's when I have up, because I was so confused. Went over the The Well Dressed Sim forum and posted for help. I can't remember now, but I think you needed to put up the guinea pig picture and have your sims look at it. And that would heal/cure them. What ever I was told to do worked. And my sims went on to live a longer and happier life.

So many awesome memories from the years I've played!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• RudiaroseRudiarose Posts: 891 Member
    The first time I play Sims I made my whole family. I did not have enough money to buy all the furniture I needed. I did not know the money cheats. There was 6 of us and all my sims dead in less then 5 mins I because there was not enough beds and bathrooms. Hmm, I am tempted to make all those sims again now that I know all the cheats and the houses are better and not everyone would just die.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    It's not the same franchise, but the same creator, so I also want to start by saying I played SimCity as a kid on my Commodore Amiga 500. And loved it so much!
    I remember discovering The Sims back in the day, it was fascinating to me. I also remember being in awe of all the custom content the creators just put out there for free, for everyone to enjoy and expand their gaming experience. To this day, I find it one of the most amazing things about this franchise. I skipped TS2, but jumped back in after TS3 was out for a year. I didn't play it that much actually until there was a death in my family. Without going into detail, it changed my personality and my social behaviour and all of the sudden the Sims was this therapeutic tool, a world where no one ever has to die - unless you let them cook Mac and Cheese on a cheap stove before they level up their cooking skill. :D
    Anyway, to many more years to come!
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited February 2020
    My first time with The Sims was in February of 2013 with The Sims 3 (I know - get on the bus, right as it's pulling into the depot :wink: ) ! I was just cruising thru the Wal-Mart electronic department and just happened to see a display still with Sims 3 on it. Most of the time, I'd find stores with just the add-on packs (no BASE) :/ !

Add to this, 2013 I knew that my cat was "on her way out". She had been with me since she was a little kitten, and now at the age of 21, she had started to develop breathing issues. Finally, on April 18, 2013 (the day that is burned in my memory forever), I took her to the vet to say goodbye to her.

Her ORIGINAL owner wanted to put her down just because she was the runt of the litter, but I was able to save her by begging him to let me have her. I SAVED her from "the needle"! Unfortunately, I was not able to save her from the needle this time! I held her paw as the vet gave her the needle. Her little paw tightened up for a brief second, then she was gone.

After all that, I buried myself into my Sims3 to get some relief from the pain of the real world for a while. It might have helped me somewhat, but I still miss her.

During this time, I created my Jetta Burns Sim. I had her move into the "Prefabulous Home" . As for her job, "playing guitar for tips" - after she had mastered the skill (before she was at the diner)! During one of her guitar performances, a (randomly created?) Sim named Reuben Rocha approach Jetta and started chatting with her. They (obviously) hit it off well - Jetta didn't smack or get offended by him. At her following day performance, guess who was in the crowd! So I figured, let's send Jetta and him out on a date. I was still new at this and never dated a townie before! (spent Feb-April with my cat mainly)

Jetta and Reuben ended up getting married... HUGE MISTAKE! Turns out that Reuben Burns had 6 other romantic "side-chicks" (or whatever they are called now)! One of those was Twyla Summers - the burglar! REALLY?! Jetta ended up giving birth to 2 daughters - Mary and Miranda!

Now, Mary Burns is a main character and Miranda a support character now, though sometimes (Jetta's sister) Sheila Burns - an EVIL business woman - comes back with a vengeance.

Sheila has ZERO regards towards family, as she is too busy either buying up or forcing the competition to sale out! To her, it's all about the money, family just "gets in the way" - which is why she is STILL single! She doesn't make bad business decisions and knows when to walk away!

Miranda Burns is a successful author and has many novels from children to romantic. (haven't been playing with Miranda Burns much lately - not sure why). I guess that the reason why I made Mary the main character, is that the Burns sisters - Jetta and Sheila were both EVIL. One of Jetta's wish (Sims 3) was Miranda to grow up EVIL... so I done it - Miranda only.

Mary is trying to break the image of the Burns family being pure EVIL . Stuck with having to stay calm under fire, Mary trys not to show any aggressive behavior. It's not saying that she WON'T show it to someone who DESERVES IT! Honestly, I think she's favorite now, since she is trying to "break the mold" . She is trying to better the family name, but her sister and Aunt Sheila just tear it back down with EVIL acts.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Although I'm more of a table top gamer than a computer gamer, many of my friends (and my husband) are computer gamers, so I remember overhearing discussions of SimCity (and I had Spore for my DS) but while I was always vaguely curious about The Sims, I was never curious enough to actually buy it.

Then back in 2005, 2006 I was looking for a new way to do character art, and stumbled across the Sims create a sim teaser-program-thing - I think it was for Sims 3, but I'm honestly not sure. I had a lot of fun with that. Trying to figure out if there was a way to do more led me to the Poser demo, which led me to Daz Studio, and... sorry, but Sim's have nothing on Victoria 4 (or 5, or 6, or 7, or 8 for that matter...) when it comes to customization and options.

Later, Sims Medieval came along... and then the Pirates expansion. I'm an ex-renfaire worker and I love pirates. I'm fully aware of all the terrible and wonderful things that they did, and the Golden Age of Piracy ... all 30 years of it ... is my favorite time in history. So I bought my first sims game - Sims Medieval - out of the bargain bin at Best buy, but I never got around to getting the pirates expansion and I got kinda frustrated with not being able to figure out how to do some things. So when I upgraded my machine, the Sims Medieval wasn't reinstalled.

However, my saga with The Sims was not over.

May 2019. I have a couple of friends on line who are periodically posting about their Sims experiences, and I'm occasionally commenting on the escapades. Then one of them mentions that the base game is free on Origin, and I figure what the heck...

Five hours later, after "berating" my friends for getting me hooked on yet another time sink I don't need, I've finally closed my shiny new Sims 4 game and am trying to prioritize the various expansion packs for when they go on sale.

And the rest, as they say, is history.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited February 2020
    I first played The Sims with the original Sims game, for a few days before returning it.
    It was so depressing to me to see my sim come home from work and start crying because she didn't have any friends.

True 3D games were popular at the time and I more interested in them and console gaming, so dropping The Sims was an easy choice . Years later I got a first look at The Sims 2 on Gamespot.com. They were just early screenshots, but I got really excited about building 3D homes. I couldn't wait for it to come out. I have been hooked ever since. Sadly my interest is dropping off now.

But it's nothing a trait/whim/new game play overhaul can't fix. (Like the last survey described.)
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds