Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get Famous Owners: Would you buy it again? Pros? Cons? [Decision made]

Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
My birthday is Wednesday and one of my daughters got me an Amazon giftcard. They're having a similar sale to Origin right now on TS4 packs, I can purchase Get Famous for 50% off. This is the only EP I don't own so I'm seriously thinking about getting it. I have a few questions though for those who own the pack.

The biggest reason I have not bought this EP is reports of celebrities taking over at venues while your Sims are on dates or just hanging out there. For instance; DJs will stop playing music to run away and fan over a celebrity that has entered the club, your date in a restaurant will get up and run away to fan over a visiting celebrity, your Sim might do this as well and you can't stop them.

Also, I've read that family members won't or can not talk to another family member because they're a celebrity and that quirks sometimes stick and you can't get rid of them.

Are you experiencing these things in your game? Do you find it merely annoying and enjoy the pack anyway? Or does it make you want to tear your hair out in frustration and wish you'd never bought the pack?

If you're also a builder or bought the pack only for the build/buy, was it worth getting the pack?

Do you use elements of the pack in other gameplay besides the celebrity feature? Does it have enough of this to be fun without playing celebrities at all? I do have Sims I'd love to make celebrities though, so I would use that aspect, of course.

Are there any other bugs/glitches I should know about?

I've wanted to get this pack for a long time, a lot of the gameplay looks like it's fun and the build/buy, especially the Mid-Century items has me drooling as a builder. But the above problems with celebrity invasions has made me seriously hesitate. I'm a micromanager and play most of the time with autonomy off. Sims running off to do things that I didn't tell them to do and/or canceling my orders, is frustrating and stressful to me, no fun.

BTW, my normal gameplay involves playing a lot of challenges, starting most of my Sims out Rags to Riches style and a little family play here and there. I enjoy taking my Sims from nothing to a successful life. I also LOVE to build, but only micro/tiny/small houses, usually one or maybe two floors. I've never built a mansion.

So...what do you think based on your experience with the pack and what I've shared about my qualms and playstyle? Should I get it or save my giftcard for a future EP/GP/SP I might enjoy better?

Thank you for reading, have a great rest of your week and...

Happy Simming! <3
Post edited by Karababy52 on

Comments

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Well, yeah. I think you should buy Get Famous. Personally, I don't find celebrities very intrusive, as a patch fixed it a while back and now they usually only appear in Del Sol Valley. They'll occasionally go other places, but not as often anymore. And as most of my sims are usually very creative, I do use certain aspects of Get Famous quite often, particularly the fame system and the Starlight Accolades. In fact, I had a sim go to them today because she was nominated for an award due to a book she wrote. And like you said, you like building and challenges. Learning to build a mansion could end up being pretty fun, though Get Famous doesn't require any mansions at all and you could just stick to tiny homes. I'm not sure how well it would work with families, but it's excellent for challenges, especially rags to riches, because you can do a literal rags to riches, since in most rags to riches stories I know of the main character is usually not only rich but famous at the end as well.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    Personally, I wouldn't buy the pack again. The game play for me got way too repetitive and annoying.

And yes, celebrities do take over and ruin venues, and if you are a celebrity, you honestly can't do anything in public without being mobbed by paparazzi and fans. Even when you are taking a vacation, you will be mobbed, which really just ruins the whole vacation. And if you have Dine Out, that pack is already broken as it is, and when there is a celebrity in the restaurant, you can count on nobody doing their job and no one sitting down and eating.

Del Sol Valley is a decent world, but isn't my favorite. Too small, and unremarkable.

Celebrities aren't fun for me to play because as I said, you will be mobbed wherever you go and that will annoy you. And it just takes way too much work to play as a celebrity in my opinion, and just get's extinguishing, repetitive, and boring.

Besides celebrities, Get Famous isn't anything special. The acting career is fun for the first few weeks (in game), but then you get the same gigs over and over again, which get's boring. The Create-a-Sim items just aren't my style, and the build mode items don't really interest me, and even if you like them they don't justify 40 dollars.

There aren't as many glitches as there are with other packs, but there are some minor ones here and there.

Overall, as you can see, my opinion is unfavorable about this pack. Out of all the expansion packs, I would rate Get Famous the lowest because the game play just does not interest me, and everything else about the pack doesn't justify the price. If you would like a more in depth review, I would recommend watching LGR's (Lazy Game Review) review on the pack. He would do a better job giving a non one sided opinionated review than me. :)
    Proud simmer
  • Options
    Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    I’d buy it. It’s fun and if a pre-made celebrity is annoying, you can take out your frustrations by swapping over to their household and tank their reputation! 😂
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited February 2020
    Get Famous comes with my favorite door in this game. I use the door in every build in the white swatch.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    It's hard to say if you will like it, but a 50% sale sounds good to me. I was hoping there would be a surprise new expansion for the anniversary, but it doesn't look like it though, so I would say Yes if you like the build objects and want to make celebrities. Personally, I really enjoy it and don't regret buying it at all. I love the acting career and some of the build objects I use all the time, like the dressers and sofas. The acting career is one of my favorite careers in the game. I love all the active lots. I never get bored of it because I play on rotation. I've never had a quirk stick with my Sim, so I'm not sure about that. My families had no problems that I noticed. If you have relationship points with them, I think you should always be able to talk to them. For the build objects, some of them I use a lot, but worth the money on that alone is hard to say. For me, the acting career makes it worth it, I really like it. I don't really build elaborate homes, but the decorations are really nice I have to say. The squaky bubbles though, now that sits on top of all of my washing machines in the whole game. ;)

Howeverrr, it was true that for a long time it was really almost impossible to go to a restaurant. A celebrity would show up and everyone would stand up and stop eating. It drove me up the wall, but I don't notice as much now. Maybe a patch improved it. Actually I can't remember the last time it happened. Most of my celebrities stick to the celebrity world now. Also, you can turn the fame off for the whole game in the settings menu if you don't like it. And then if you just want your Sim to gain fame you can click on "Step in the spotlight" and that Sim will be able to start gaining fame. I turned it off in my current game, but I still love doing the acting career and choosing the options that used to gain fame, but I'm not really interested in making my Sims famous anyway. It won't turn off fame for the existing celebrities though, so if those still bother you, you can just stick them in a lot, turn their fame off from their personality screen, and then evict them back to the bin. That's what I did when I accidentally moved two Sims into another world without realizing they were famous and they created mobs at my gym.

I would say overall the celebrity / fans / paparazzi thing I don't really like, but I figured out how to turn it off / manage it, so it doesn't bother me at all now.

And Happy Birthday!! :smiley:

• Options
    silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    First of all, best wishes for your birthday! I can't answer if GF is for you, but I'm a builder, and I personally use a lot of items from this pack. The more gaudy/rococo stuff works nicely with historical or fantasy builds, while the mid-century items go well with retro, or elderly-home builds. The modern items work with both traditional and contemporary homes, so all-in-all, BB is pretty versatile.

In terms of CAS, there's a lot of nice items, especially if you like historical/fantasy play (from the acting career), or simply want your sims looking like they belong in this century (unlike what's in the base game lol).

Gameplay-wise, I do run into celebrities regularly, but restaurants, provided you have a good kitchen, and a small number of (working) tables (the restaurant I use has 3 tables with four chairs, using couches and coffee tables to act as 'set dressing'), celebs come in, but non-famous sims'll get food okay. You can turn off fame for your played sim/family, and unless you directly approach a celebrity, you shouldn't be affected with the fainting etc.

If you are a celebrity, the negative traits add challenge/fun - unfortunately, the papparazzi can be super annoying. It's hard to go out (eg. to a restaurant) if you're famous, because they're continually taking pictures. When you level up in fame, you can influence sims to do things, like make paparazzi leave, though another one always seems to pop up after.

Re non-celebrity gameplay items (recording station, drone, media station) help storytelling, but you unfortunately can't view or listen to what your sim has created. I haven't tried the acting career yet (although I've had the pack for a while...), so I can't really comment on it, but a lot of people, (including @Elliandre in the comment above :)) have said they like it.

I personally think $24.99/w/ever the us price is isn't bad, but it depends what you want :) .

• Options
    Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    I love Get Famous. The world is small and celebrities can be intrusive but the build and buy is amazing and so is the cas. The reputation system is something unique and operates regardless of whether you are seeking fame. I have had sims earn fame as actors but also have a famous author, musician and programmer. It is nice to make sims like Diego Lobo and Penny Pizzazz truly famous.

The acting career is fun for an active career and the starlight accolades are great especially when your sim.wins one.

It also adds the rabbithole of drama club for teens which they can win awards for too.

Charity benefit partiesxare another feature of the pack I like.

The celebrity premade sims are fun string characters. I enjoy them as they dp feel fully fleshed out.

There is also a new death and woohoo in the pack
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited February 2020
    I would recommend Get famous if you use mods, otherwise you might find it annoying when you are not playing as a celebrity. I think playing as a celebrity was quite fun, the road from being a poor actor to becoming a famous celebrity is quite fun to experience. I played with the premade sims Venessa, Kayla and Dustin.

Get famous can be pretty annoying to play if you are not a celebrity though, they will show up on lots and interrupt sims and have paparazzi around the lot, I would recommend bienchens mods lesscelebreact and nocelebritywalkstyle. The second disables the walkstyle that sims who have a certain fame will walk. It is a slow walk that for some reason Maxis did not add as a walkstyle you pick in CAS, it turns on and off all the time and is super annoying. Just disable this awful design with a mod. I think there are mods that makes the paparazzi less annoying as well. I found out that I could disable some of their annoying animations with mc tuner.

Celebrities also have fame quirks that they can get, some people find them fun because they add some challenge and personality to the sims. Some quirks are just bad though and occurs way too often. Octavia is a premade sim who has the juice enthusiast quirk and it triggers everyday and gives her an angry buff constantly.

The actor career is surprisingly well made...until level 7, then everything new just ends... and you will do the same old gigs over and over again to reach level 10. It feels like they cut some content there in the end.

The world in my opinion is really nicely made, but there is a neighborhood missing. There is a neighborhood when you are a new, poor actor, and then there is a neighborhood when you are a famous, rich celebrity. There is no neighborhood for sims who are something in between.

Speaking of rich, unless you are creating a celebrity who focuses on social media and making music and videos you are not going to earn that much money. You get paid surprisingly little for every gig and every gig takes three days to do. In the beginning you will think this is a fun challenge because the gigs require skill and preparation but when you are a skilled actor this is way too much time and you have to find something else to do between gigs.

I think Get Famous is an okay pack, but it requires a lot from the player to have fun with it, the devs made no effort when it came to the houses and they made some bad design decisions. But if you replace or change their houses, use mods and play with the celebrities and come up with fun things to do with them then you wont find these things that annoying.

And finally, there is right now a bug where you can't play the actor career properly because their completed tasks reset on traveling...so yeah...a pack that is fun to play but has a lot of bad design.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I bought Get Famous 50% off and I'm happy with that purchase. The theme didn't interest me much in the first place, but what I enjoy is that the pack gives you a lot to do. I play rotationally and I'd like to see my own sims replace the premade celebrities eventually and even place down their own stars on the boulevard. It's a huge amount of work to get all their celebrity levels up. There are many ways to go about it though and I'm not bored with the system yet.

About your concern I do have celebrities to show up in my restaurants and other community lots, but they haven't been major problem for me. At first it bothered me more when I didn't know who those celebrities were. The more I've seen them around and my sims have became their fans the more tolerant I find myself. I sort of accept their status and that sims go crazy sometimes. Here as well I'm wondering what it will be like when it's my own sims that are causing the chaos.

I must confess I haven't lived in Del Sol Valley with any sim. The world looks nice to me and the size doesn't bother me too much. The poor neighbourhood fits my taste quite nicely. I have redone the whole commercial disctrict and really like visiting there. There's a gym, arts center, restaurant, cafe (with a movie theatre) and a lounge.

What I don't really like about the pack is that it's quite easy to make it to one star celebrity and that the sims who have reached that level are instantly harder to communicate with. In rotational play it's a little bit weird when half of my played sims are suddendly impossible to get to know... Yes they can always step out of the spotlight and that's the choice I will have to make for some.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited February 2020
    I bought the pack at half price only really for the CAS and BB. Would I buy it again.......probably not.

Okay, again, I didn't buy it for the fame, so I really didn't care much about that aspect of the pack. And honestly, I can live without the CAS and BB. Still, I felt the need to try the fame stuff out at least once, so I did.

Gonna be honest, the celebrity gameplay is very repetitive and can be downright boring. Unless you're playing an actress or actor, it's very hard to earn fame. Usually you'll just end up doing the same thing over and over and over until you slowly build up your fame bar to get more perks to make becoming famous slightly easier. Once you do become a maxed out worldwide famous celebrity, there's pretty much nothing left to aspire to, and once I reached that point I dropped the family I was playing and never touched them again. It's basically a tedious grind to get to the end and once you reach it, there's nothing left to do. You can only have so many celebrity events and parties and buy so many golden furniture items before it becomes dull.

Keeping your fame is also really annoying, especially at the lower levels and I don't like how it's basically programmed that if you're not constantly streaming online or performing out in public, your fame can just drop like a rock. I get it, we're in the tech savy 21st century, but c'mon not every celebrity sits on a computer 20/7 and they don't become instantly forgotten when they aren't online.

The acting career itself is also very glitchy and became boring and repetitive after like 6 gigs. Seriously, once you've done one, you've done them all.

Celebrities are everywhere and crowds of people ALWAYS stop to fangirl over them. There's no way to turn this off and its annoying as all heck.

Del Smol Valley is utterly useless as a world. There's very few lots and the sizes are really ridiculous.

Overall, I don't recommend Get Famous unless you REALLY want celebrities and plan to play them a lot. Even still, I'd get it at half off. I don't regret buying it, since again, I think half off was okay for the CAS and BB. But if I could go back in time, I'd probably be fine sacrificing those things since I don't really need any of it and the rest of the pack doesn't appeal to me at all.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I bought it at half price. It's interesting especially the BB, but it's not necessary for overall gaming experience. I'll probably buy it again if only they offer more than 50% discount this time.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Personally I love the acting career. It's my favorite active career. I play in rotation, and I was only able to get my actor to one gig per rotation for a while until I changed the number of days with each household, so he has not yet actually gotten his third fame star yet.

My other sims not being able to introduce themselves to him is a minor annoyance I have had for a while. I can introduce him to anyone I want when I'm playing him though. So far his family hasn't lost the ability to talk to him or anything.

It does take a long time to build fame for anything but acting, especially in rotational play. But I find it pretty fun. I do use the drone a lot to stream so that my sims can use their online presence to get fame without always having to be sitting at the computer to do it. I enjoy the open mic nights and the award ceremony. I haven't tried the meet and greet yet.

Celebrities have very rarely gotten in my way on community lots. It is annoying when it happens, but I've had a lot less trouble with it than others appear to. At 2.5 fame stars my actor is getting a small number of fans when he goes out in public, but no paparazzi yet so I can't say how annoying that will be.

I rarely pay attention to the little pack icons in build mode or in CAS but I do know that a couple of my favorite hairstyles came with GF. I also use the costumes a lot because I like to throw costume parties by making everyone's party outfit a costume of my choice, using all the options from every pack that comes with costumes.

I bought it at 50% off last year and would do it again for that price without hesitation.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Daephene wrote: »
    Personally I love the acting career. It's my favorite active career. I play in rotation, and I was only able to get my actor to one gig per rotation for a while until I changed the number of days with each household, so he has not yet actually gotten his third fame star yet.

I play in a rotation too, 7 Sims day to be precise. I can do at leasts 2 gigs (every Sun & Sat).
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,566 Member
    I would absolutely buy it again! I love the vastly improved celebrity system. I just wish they had given us a singing a career, but I have a hunch I would have found a way to make it work, somehow. However, I do have a mod that does just that. Road to Fame by Sacrificial. I love the Paparazzi, the Quirks a star can acquire along the way and the ability to place a Frame (think star on Hollywood Boulevard) when they reach the top. The Starlight Accolades Show is amusing. I just wish a singer or musician could and would be recognized. But, there's a lot good in this EP.

KOkyDNW.jpgwdiJokK.jpg

eokBIBJ.jpg
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Get famous gets old pretty quickly, its not worth it.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I've bought just because i was completing my collection but i was never a fan of this kind of packs related to fame. I wouldn't buy it if it was today. There are way less situations as op describes nowadays, at least in my game. It's just i personally never enjoyed the way fame is handled, both in this iteration and in previous ones.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I should add that I played my famous pianist sim today and it was very grindy. My pianist achieved his third star and it was after days and days of playing concerts at lounges. He can only license a song once a week and is not really into social media stuff which probably makes things more difficult than they need to be.
  • Options
    musteni wrote: »
    I should add that I played my famous pianist sim today and it was very grindy. My pianist achieved his third star and it was after days and days of playing concerts at lounges. He can only license a song once a week and is not really into social media stuff which probably makes things more difficult than they need to be.

I normally get my Sims to start painting & sell it. Regardless of what their chosen profession, this is how I increase their fame. Other than that, I will publish some books too. Since your Sims is a musician, why don't you get him to write a song & get it license? It will be better if he can play different type of instruments.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I love it, the reputation system is pretty cool, and when combined with the gained traits from Parenthood I’m discovering you can get some pretty interesting sims. I love the CAS & BB if you have City Living this pack gives a use for some of the more avant-garde clothes, they make great award ceremony garb. Now that they’ve toned down celebrities turning up everywhere and the reactions (one of the rare times I appreciate down tuning features) I would say it’s a pretty solid pack myself.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I really think GF is one of the better packs. So yes I'd buy it again today if I didn't have it yet. The acting career is probably one of the best active careers we have, the pack allows you to have sims be famous for all kinds of stuff (programming, writing, singing etc.). So if you like focusing on careers and this sounds appealing I think you'll like it :)
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited February 2020
    I'm a theater person, who has long studied movie making (scripts, special effects, costumes, music, cinematography... the whole lot) because I want to. So .... I might be a bit biased when I say that yes, even as annoying as celebrities can be, even with all the areas I could see improvement made (more active careers based on fame or the movies - see list above; the option for kids and teens to actually get started in the acting career as kids and teens; Drama Club being more... drama club like, beyond the "yes, you do have rehearsals on holidays." aspect) I'd certainly buy it again.

I like a lot of the build mode and CAS options, and I personally don't find the Actor career repetitive to the point I get bored of it (It could use better payouts at top fame levels...) But, as I said, I'm a theater person.

That said, I hardly use the world at all.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I was rushing a bit earlier since I was preparing for a meeting and wanted to get my biggest points out of the way quickly. I'll specifically address more of your points now.

The biggest reason I have not bought this EP is reports of celebrities taking over at venues while your Sims are on dates or just hanging out there. For instance; DJs will stop playing music to run away and fan over a celebrity that has entered the club, your date in a restaurant will get up and run away to fan over a visiting celebrity, your Sim might do this as well and you can't stop them.

This happened a lot when it first came out, but I've read that it was allegedly supposed to be fixed in later updates. I haven't played in a year, so I can't confirm if it's truly fixed or not.

Also, I've read that family members won't or can not talk to another family member because they're a celebrity and that quirks sometimes stick and you can't get rid of them.

That happens too. It's basically them looking down on someone who isn't a celeb and for some reason the game does't exclude family members or spouses from this. Idk if this was ever fixed or not. I'm pretty sure quirks can be removed through some specific item, but I can't recall the name off the top of my head.

If you're also a builder or bought the pack only for the build/buy, was it worth getting the pack?

Like I said, I bought it primarily for the BB. I think it was worth it for the price I paid, but I can still live without it.

Do you use elements of the pack in other gameplay besides the celebrity feature? Does it have enough of this to be fun without playing celebrities at all? I do have Sims I'd love to make celebrities though, so I would use that aspect, of course.

I mean, in terms of gamelay, the fame takes up most of that. If you're not playing celebs frequently, you're not experiencing much of what's being offered. The only specific things would be objects like the drone, music station, and video station. Those can be used without the desire to become famous, but that is what their main purpose is, to keep your fame from falling. And on that note, be aware, don't try to use these objects to become famous on their own. They add very little fame overall and things like the record label and video advertisements overall don't do much.

Are there any other bugs/glitches I should know about?

Like I mentioned, the acting career in general has a lot of bugs. Gigs not being completed. Gigs switching.

BTW, my normal gameplay involves playing a lot of challenges, starting most of my Sims out Rags to Riches style and a little family play here and there. I enjoy taking my Sims from nothing to a successful life.

You might enjoy GF then if you enjoy doing this frequently.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Someone probably already mentioned it but the bug with quirks sticking around even after they've been removed has been fixed (at least in my game) in a patch a few months ago.

Personally I only really use the BB and CAS items from the pack and ignore the celebrities. They're not massively invasive as far as I'm concerned and I've turned the setting to my played Sims starting opted out of fame. So for me, the pack isn't worth the full value but on a sale, sure. I did play through a Rags to Riches challenge focused on Fame and it was fun, just not enough (for me) to go back to that again. Since you're interested in those aspects though, I think you'll find it a good purchase.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Thank you so much to everyone for posting your thoughts and experience with this pack, I really appreciate it! I'm in awe y'all took the time to post such in-depth reviews. You've given me a lot to think about. It seems almost 2-1 in favor of the pack. Eases my mind a bit that the intrusive celebrities was tweaked in a recent patch. However, I've read in another thread the acting career, which is the only career included in the pack, has a serious bug in that completed tasks for gigs are wiped out if your Sim travels anywhere. But, it's also been reported that Sims are still getting gold anyway for gigs. So, I don't know what to think about that.

Does anyone know how long the Origin sale will last? The reason I ask is a free packs giveaway to hundreds of Simmers is currently in effect for the next 24 hrs. by EA/Maxis for the 20th Anniversary of The Sims. They'll randomly pick winners from our wish lists on Origin. Thinking I might wait to see if I win Get Famous, would be a nice birthday gift eh? Depends on if the sale will still be going afterward though. I'd be disappointed if I didn't win, the sale was over and then I'd have to pay full price for Get Famous.

IF, I decide to get it. I'm leaning that way though. I took another look at the build/buy and CAS for this pack and half price to me would be worth paying just to have those items. Plus, since I do love playing Rags to Riches, it would be fun taking Sims to fame that way, and satisfying. Not necessarily with the acting career though. Y'all say it takes a long time to get fame and then a lot of work to keep it. Honestly, that doesn't bother me in the least, I don't see it as a negative. I'm not an instant gratification kind of person, delayed gratification can be just as satisfying, if not more, to me.

Thank you also to those that wished me a Happy Birthday, very sweet of you! :)

Happy Simming and Happy 20th Anniversary of The Sims too! <3
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I have it and I'd buy it again, in a bundle or sale like I did the first time.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top