Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ugh. (Multiple) Toddler Wrangling. Help Please!

Let’s say risky woo hoo and a little “Mum and Dad time” are not a good mix.
Now I have one (fairly self sufficient) girl and twin boys. All toddlers.

The boys have just aged up and immediately it’s a nightmare. The mum blacked out by the time all three were in bed and she was able to try get herself something to eat (in front of the TV, because fun was low too).

Meanwhile hubby worked a late shift as a caterer.

4am and it starts again. EVERYONE is starving. Mum and Dad haven’t really had enough sleep.
I get one in the high chair and send Dad up for boy number two while Mum cooks breakfast. Only, a while later I wonder why they haven’t come back downstairs and it’s because Dad has gone back to bed!!

Mum is wanting to wonder off instead of changing twin ones outfit for the day and letting him out of his highchair.

This toddler wrangling could be a lot easier if they (Sims) would just do as I asked.

Have you got any tips? Especially you twin, triplet or even 100 baby veterans?!?

Comments

• MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I did a 7 toddler challenge not long ago and I'm doing a 100 baby challenge now.
    Here's some tips:
    Consider turning autonomy off and micromanage more.
    Lose the high chairs, they're buggy and take too much time.
    Keep leftovers in the fridge and drag the plate out when the tots are hungry.
    Start potty training a toddler then cancel the interaction for the adult, the toddler will continue on their own and the adult is free to do other stuff.
    Put a night light near your toddler's bed, if it's positioned right they won't have nightmares. Alternatively read them to sleep or have them listen to lullabies before going to bed.
    Feed your toddlers before putting them in bed for the night, they won't wake up hangry that way.

There are probably more things that'll help, but this should get you started.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited February 2020
    My play style with toddlers might not be that realistic because I let the toddlers to work things out for themselves. Like, I'll get the parents to cook in advance, and keep the dishes in the fridge. So, whenever the toddlers are hungry, I put the dish on the counter where the toddlers can help themselves. I hardly use the high chair in my game because the toddlers can just sit anywhere to eat. Sometimes, I put some dishes in their inventory where they could just grab it out whenever they feel hungry.To keep them entertain & level up certain skills, I give them a tablet or turn on the radio (to give them some option). I always enjoy letting them running around to increase their movement skill. However, I always make sure that I have potty trained them at least up to lvl 2 so that they can go to potty by themselves. I pretty much train the toddler to be independent, regardless of their traits. :D
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    Thanks!! <3 I didn’t remember lullabies (though I’ve read it before). I didn’t know about potty training solo. I will also change the routine so a meal/dinner is closer to bedtime (don’t know why I didn’t think of that, but I didn’t).

So thanks (again) @MDianaSims this is good stuff.
    Please keep it coming Sims community.
    Approximately how long does the food last in their inventories ( @xamira99 ) ?
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    NRowe wrote: »
    Approximately how long does the food last in their inventories ( @xamira99 ) ?

It depends on the food quality. But since their dad is in the culinary line, he should be able to make an excellent quality meal. And if he's on top of his career, he could make a meal that will be fresh forever.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Agree with almost everything said so far.
    -Try switching autonomy off if it's too much.
    -Ditch the high chair if there are multiple adults trying to put them in and out.
    -Keep the toddler's inventory stocked with apples and bananas or whatever fruits/veggies you like. Good for an emergency snack and they stay fresh. They also get a happy moodlet when they eat them.
    -Keep toddler books and toys in their inventory so they can take them out and play anywhere.
    -Use the social option "play" as much as possible as it levels up both fun and social at the same time.
    -Use the bubble bath instead of regular bath as this levels up hygiene, fun and social.
    -Put them outside and tell them to run away so they give your Sim a break in the house. They can just run around for hours, it's great.
    -Stock your fridge with meals so your adults don't have to cook as much or order lots of pizzas.
    -Go on vacation and send them to daycare

• KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,381 Member
    edited February 2020
    Oops, I noticed the previous poster already suggested the same thing I did (fruits in toddlers inventories). I can't delete this post.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited February 2020
    If they can't climb up and down stairs yet, put their bedroom on the ground floor.

Toddlers can pretty much take care of themselves if you want to play it that way. They don't need highchairs, you can drag the leftovers out of the fridge and they can help themselves. Leave toys, blocks and books around for them to play with. Once they are started on potty training they can soon go by themselves. They can change their own outfits.

The only thing they can't do is bathe on their own.
  • CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    No high chairs, ever.
    When your sims gets time, stock the fridge with meals that you can drag out at a moments notice
    Making them all independent means you don't need an adult to start potty training
    Leave toys out every where
    Have them interact with each other often
    Forget changing outfits, just give them cute night time clothes and live with it!

My sim couple (one half being Johnny Zest!) have just had twins and an alien baby (within hours of each other), so that house is a tad lively and this is only way my sims (and me!) can cope!
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    If you put a plate of leftovers in the bakery case, it will stay fresh for several days, and toddlers can serve themselves from it.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    The only time my saves have ever gotten through the toddler stage is when there's only one at a time or the sims wrangling them are Spellcasters and can drink a potion for their needs lmao.

However, when there's a toddler, I usually make food with eight servings so I can drag the leftovers out of the fridge and have the toddler eat it. Also, if you can help it, try not to have more kids until the toddlers are less than six days away from being children (on normal lifespan) so that before the new baby ages up they'll be kids that are gone seven hours a day.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    Have your toddler ask a parent for help eg adk for bath, potty or food rather than use the parents command wheel as I find the parents cancel much less often this way. Always keep toddlers on the ground floor (unless you play vampires) my vampire mother flies everywhere as a bat and can do it holding the toddler. It makes for instantaneous toddler transport around the lot and mother is less tired.

Use the special night light and keep parents bedroom door locked so their sleep isnt interrupted. Skill up potty skill asap so toddlers can take themselves.

Plus everything else above. Dont let them do any skill for too long without switching activity as then they get angry buffs.
    edited February 2020
    Yay and thank you. This is good stuff. Congratulations @Cheekyimp. One of the other Sims in my rotation has just fallen for Johnny Zest. The three tots under discussion belong to Bob Pancakes and one of my Sims. Haven’t ever had a alien baby (though I think I prefer it that way for a while, lol).
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @NRowe I think you ought to do the 7 toddler challenge rofl
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    @NRowe I think you ought to do the 7 toddler challenge rofl

I second this, it is very instructive. It is also the reason why I did a 7 toddler challenge, to get more experience.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Harvesting some fruit or even buying it is a help too. Chuck it into the toddler’s inventory then they will grab and eat it when they get hungry.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited February 2020
    I'm playing a huge family, but I cheated this time. I gave my female sim the wealthy life time wish and then motherlode to finish it. I bought the hardly tired. Once instead of bothering my Sims when the toddler woke, I simply clicked the bed and had him take a nap. You can click nap several times
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    NPC help. Butlers and Nannies can be a huge help. Patchy from Seasons is good if you need some free help. Also helps leaving food out for toddlers to grab and independent trait can help a lot too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    The biggest one is dragging the food to an accessible place if they're really hungry, or to a place they can move to if they're less hungry and you want them to gain movement skill.

The only skill adults are required for is the first level of potty training. If you are content with not maxing out every toddler skill, the adults don't have to do so much.

The tablet can teach most skills and the toddlers never get mad or sad moodlets because of them. They will generally not stop using them autonomously unless their needs get really low. They don't learn skills as fast, but they stay still! If two of them use the tablet in the same room I believe they will talk to each other and gain communication skill, but that was a while ago so don't take my memory as absolute fact.

Reading them to sleep every time they go to sleep raises the imagination skill fairly well and they sleep better.

Controlling the toddlers is usually easier than having the parent control the toddler.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @NRowe Box them in, neglect them, and they should be whisked away to "safety" soon by Social Services. Problem solved.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted