Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Starter Homes Thread

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    @hellokitty1496 If it was me building that house, I would have made it smaller so that it looks less 'empty' with the windows spread out.

I had a very quick go and made it a little studio home with just a bathroom and all-in-one room:
    01-26-20_1-52-37%C2%A0PM.png?dl=0

01-26-20_10-57-44%C2%A0AM.png?dl=0

Fully furnished for around $13.5K total :)

But I'm only a mediocre builder so I'm sure others could give you better tips. I have picked up building tips from downloading some fab homes and having a look at how they have done them, but I would still never match up to some people's abilities.
  • hellokitty1496hellokitty1496 Posts: 243 Member
    edited January 2020
    @elanorbreton
    I saved almost the same price that you managed to get, which happened to be a little over $14k (I had to re-furnish and resize the place).

However, for this, it came up to being $15,226, which I don't think is too far from what I originally had. I think the perfectionist and creative side of me wanted to explore more, but I then realized I couldn't, 😅. I did like yours a bit better, though. Nice and cozy, I'll say. :smile:

oyfjmnL.png
    mabmtFp.png
    9eCOAm1.png
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,567 Member
    Your furnished version of the starter is lovely! @hellokitty1496 :) The flowerboxes in the stairs corner nooks are pretty! Very nice sofa sitting area for Sims to enjoy watching tv with sunlight coming through the windows .
    If you would like to use them, there are a lot of free things to use, when you use the cheat
    bb.showhiddenobjects
    Then type in the word “ debug” without the quotation marks into the build mode search bar

Your studio starter home is very lovely also! @elanorbreton :) Very nice layout and furnishings ! The exterior design and roof covered front porch is very pretty!

• AliSim19AliSim19 Posts: 443 Member
    Finally finished another base game starter that I started a few weeks ago - my challenge to myself was to include a pool in a sub 18k build, so I'm really happy that I managed it :)
    I managed to squish the 2 bed home into 64 tiles so it fits into the tiny home category too (I did have to remove the floor from the garage).....think I still need some practise at tiny interior layouts though!

Thanks to @rosemow & @AlJay for the beautiful NoCC art that makes my boring rooms so much lovelier <3

Totally out of creativeness when it came to naming it so its '18kBG Tiny Starter w/Pool'

Gallery Link - https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/84265C43421411EA8DA8C9C0EC5675FD

Slideshow - https://imgur.com/a/33rprtE

s2whmnr.png

xrg7SWS.png

QmFMj0T.jpg

hgqX57R.png

tKw9RYr.png

nGrti49.png

0gY8MC9.png

oXVbpUx.png

Um89sX0.png

fWDbREE.png
    18kBG Tiny Starter w/Pool is a lovely base game family starter! @AliSim19 :) Very nice exterior design, blue color, great roofing and very pretty flowerbox windows and flowers through out the outdoors ! The pool, outdoors dining, and art easel patio is very nice! Very nice fenced garden patch. The interior furnishings and open plan layout are lovely! Very nice blue and orange colour. The corner desk nook is very nice for Sims to enjoy sitting there using the computer. They will have fun playing chess. Very nice sofa tv watching area!The tv is very nice on window ledge. Very nice kitchen nook! The bottles, llama and rabbit are very nice on the ledge and very nice wall patterning. The plants are lovely on the bedside tables,
    Thankyou very much for using my art! <3
    Thank you for your lovely words @rosemow :) (And especial thanks for writing them again on the gallery after my removing hiccup!)
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    edited January 2020
    Gallery Name of Lot: Blue Gnome Micro Home
    Origin ID: SheriGR
    Gallery Link: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/CD6501D142EA11EA83F7C1604AA7A836
    Notes:
    This 32-tile Tier1 Micro Home starter has what your single sim needs, has an attic bedroom, & is pack-light and pet-ready! Features porches, books, TV, computer, easel, garden + all-season perfect multi-plants, punching bag, moodlet items, hand-crafted violin. Also includes a death flower plant (in case you add a Murphy bed & need it). I made it as a 'safe' micro home with a regular bed, though.
    Slideshow: https://imgur.com/gallery/e28bh7K
    Picture credit: ♥ #juwels64 #jasna98
    Screenshots:
    2RqGEnV.jpg
    Valuable chef's garden with perfect plants.
    kVmyfxN.jpg
    6ehZwAF.jpg
    The garden bench alcove is perfect for relaxing and enjoying a good book.
    lKkb0bA.jpg
    Everything you need and ever so cozy. Loving that coffee maker? Of course!
    FFNUPYF.jpg
    The cozy kitchen opens to the dining nook.
    BNW3VkD.jpg
    All the comforts of home!
    5xKeCQ8.jpg
    The bay window, opposite window, and glass door make this room a bright and cheerful attic bedroom.
    8Z9Htq6.jpg
    Post edited by SheriGR on
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
    Blue Gnome Micro Home is a lovely micro starter home! @SheriGR :) Very pretty exterior design, blue colour and lovely flowers through the outdoors areas! Very nice harvestables garden nook! The garden bench alcove sitting area is a lovely restful and peaceful setting for reading outdoors in the sunlight! Very lovely and homely interior furnishings! Very nice open plan layout and warm calming colours. Great design of the kitchen nook! The wall shelf and items on the shelves look very nice! Great study desk and shelves nook! Sims will enjoy painting on the easel. Very lovely attic bedroom! Sims will enjoy waking up to sunshine through the windows
    It is a very nice micro home! :)
    @rosemow Thank you so much for your kind words about my micro starter. You are always so kind and generous!! 🌹❤️
    Sims 4 Gallery
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
    edited January 2020
    @AliSim19 I'm just imagining what your 'gallery hiccup' is referring to, but I must say that poor @rosemow has been exceedingly gracious through a number (more than I'd like to know) of my gallery 'oopsies'... Where I uploaded a room or lot then realized a mistake and took it down 'real quick' to fix it (occasionally more than once 😱!)! And every time she catches this mistake and graciously re-adds her lovely comments, bless her heart. 🌹Rosemow is an angel!! 😇

(Btw... I absolutely love your tiny home!! So creative and beautifully done, as always! 👏)
    Sims 4 Gallery
    Oh my @SheriGR your micro is wonderful! I’ve been fighting to create a micro cottage and you’ve totally nailed it 😊 <3 Great work on the slideshow too, beautifully done...... and that first screenshot especially is just breathtaking, awesome job!

Oh, and thank you for your kind words on my tiny too 💖
    edited January 2020
    Thank you so much for your encouragement and kindness, @AliSim19 , and for your lovely words both here and on the lot! 🤗 I was a bit weirded out by making it so tall proportionally, but played with so many combinations and landed on this.

I ate a lot of 'cheaper' and even debug options that I would normally add lately with a starter on this one. I kept testing what it would look like with walls 1/2 down, with the small space combined with the 'attic' bedroom, and floating items just were not cutting it. Plus they actually needed a few places to set things intentionally added, and since it's so easy to use up precious space you cannot afford with a decorative item I had more painful decisions than usual. I also went with more items that I don't usually spend funds on for starters, like curtains & 'real' lights (that don't float with the wall down). I debated long and hard about the dresser I removed in leu of a lower price tag & adding the violin. Having the punching bag inside killed my idea of putting a kitty area behind the wall in the attic. And bringing the stairs inside because having the punching bag and stairs indoors is so much better in weather, was such a loss for space! Plus obviously the idea of making and using an 'attic space' rather than a full-out dormer makes a different to work with and to play. (It's a fussy option.)

Anyway, my cat lady and kitty seem to be okay with the decisions, and no killer Murphy bed is good since it's taking forever to get her handiness high enough to even be able to upgrade anything! She would be dead already for sure! As I already told @rosemow 🌹, I had decided to make my micro a 'safe home' for those don't a Murphy bed. I had a bad Murphy bed experience. 😱 (click the spoiler tag in comment #21 at this link): https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Feedback/Dream-Big-Build-Small-with-The-Sims-4-Tiny-Living/m-p/8678195#M21900
    Sims 4 Gallery
    @SheriGR Until you mentioned it I hadn’t even thought about how tall it was....I think it’s because you balanced it so well with the trees and garden, and also (once I’ve thought about it) because it fits perfectly with the great name you gave it. I’ve no idea why my brain thinks that’s the right proportion for gnome houses, but it is! 😂

I love that you’ve shared some of the challenges/decisions you considered - my daughter seems to throw a great looking home together in minutes, while I can spend aeons choosing exactly which item works with the build or what I can afford to include/splurge on, so it’s reassuring to know that it’s not just me! The pain of your agonising & debating definitely paid off though 😁

As for that Murphy bed....it killed my poor long time builder sim 3 times in a row!!! A swift exit without saving was my answer also haha! It’s such a pretty item though that some serious play time will be spent getting his handiness up 😉
    edited February 2020
    @AliSim19
    I don't know how people speedbuild! I envy your daughter her speed. I spend more time on the layout plan, or even the roofing, than some people probably do. Maybe I overthink it, but it's what works for me. And that's the strength of this game - you can play it in the manner that works for you!

I have a sim and a Siamese cat that I had made months ago and hadn't developed, so I paired them and set them to testing the build. I've never played a cat-lady but I've bonded with this pair! The sim is interesting for a CAS sim (most of the ones I play are born in-game not in CAS) and I even made her a bit quirky (I'm terrible about making 'helpful' traits for me to play). Hers I made work toward her intended career - and to add personality to her skills - in writing.

So, she and the cat are besties, this keeps her social great though she lives alone in the home, and I've been playing them in the home and raising her skills enough to be helpful but not 'finished' (since I'm adding her to the gallery). But... I did have her buckle down on the handiness so she has handiness of 10. This way she could fix the Murphy bed right off to make it safe. I did find that with a bit of maneuvering I can even get a Murphy bed in the living room and one in the upstairs room along with a treadmill, if someone wanted to have up to 4 in there. I'm hoping to had her and the cat to the gallery by the end of the weekend, if you want a handy author gal to fix the beds in your micro home. She's the one in the slideshow of the home.

I am finding that these Micro homes do take a lot of the pain out of starting out. Skills and promotions are happening faster. Everything just seems to be moving along more smoothly.

Anyway, thank you for your comments, too! It's wonderful to hear your thoughts and experiences with this! 🌹
    Sims 4 Gallery
  • TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
    @AliSim19 Your use of the word "Squish" made me giggle. I call all squash, squish. Too funny. You have created a beautiful home and that you were able to squish all that into it, is amazing! ♥♥♥

@SheriGR Blue Gnome is a beautiful build! I love how much space you were able to achieve in so little space♥♥♥
    edited February 2020
    @Taoron Thank you so much for your kind words! 😊 That was my main goal, so I'm glad it came across!
    Sims 4 Gallery
    Thank you @Taoron 😊 And squish is just such a good word I never squash any more haha!
    @SheriGR 2 doubles in there?? That's fantastic on such a small footprint, I've already got it placed so I'm going to go and play about with it to learn how to fit it all in! I think I might grab your lovely sim when you put her up and move her in along with her cat, only fitting that they all stay together :) I've never actually played with a cat and I don't normally use gallery sims either so will be fun

I finished another starter yesterday at 99 tiles and it wasn't until I was nearly done that I realised I'd avoided the Murphy deathtrap altogether despite using the tiny living pack, I think I may have been emotionally scarred by my first play test of it haha :D
    edited February 2020
    @AliSim19 Finally! Oh my goodness! I got that household done for you yesterday then the gallery went bonkers! So... the household is now uploaded and available at this link: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/AB0878FA46D511EA82B2DDF742ECB4D7
    She has the following:
    Aspiration: BestSellingAuthor (Muser)
    Traits: Creative, Gloomy, Romantic
    Skills at 10: Writing, Handiness, Cooking
    Fame: OneStar
    Rewards: GymRat, CreativeVisionary, Mentor
    Career: Writer, level 5 (RegularContributor)
    Thanks for giving her a try! 🥰
    Sims 4 Gallery
    @SheriGR Thank you! <3 The gallery has been mental hasn't it?? Fingers crossed it's all sorted but I've been and grabbed her while I can, she's so lovely :) I'm away for an overnight tomorrow but I know I should have sometime on Wednesday, I'm so looking forward to moving her in!
    edited February 2020
    Thank you so much, @rosemow She's one of the few sims I've made and developed for a particular 'story/play-purpose' and played through far enough to add depth. It was a fun process! Thank you for your kindness and encouragement! 🌹
    Sims 4 Gallery
    Finished another of my WIP starters from the start of Jan at weekend (left sharing it until I could get to the link, silly gallery!) - my challenge to myself on this one was to get 3 bedrooms & 2 baths into 100 tile small home whilst having a try at another modern, using just basegame, Get Together & Tiny Living. I'm getting better at managing the budget and limiting my pack use is letting me find items I'd really never noticed, such good fun.

My niece had already asked that I make her a basegame version of this build but I really wanted to play with my new pack, so I made sure the outdoor areas were all just basegame which made it easy to swap out the interior to do two versions and upload both. Is it bad that I'm half-seriously considering buying her more packs just to make my life easier?? ;)

So this is Tiny 3/2 Family Starter (I need to get more inventive with my names!)

Thanks to @Taoron & @Juwels64 for truly gorgeous NoCC art, to @FruitLoops40 for the numbers used to make my doorplate photo and to @SheriGR for her excellent new all season spliced plants <3

Download - https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/1CF3F076453611EA8C56C1604AA7A836

Full slideshow - https://imgur.com/a/d0H1GiU

Managed to include fireplace, TV, PC, stereo, punchbag, BBQ, planting garden & easel as well as the 3 beds/2baths, all play tested.

aoLYTk8.png

erBSPiR.png

PS7VKfc.png

uGK0YFT.png

BL3MCCw.png

5YUISS5.png

HZUiUI0.png

PiTQQlK.png
    edited February 2020
    Tiny 3/2 Family Starter is a lovely starter home! @AliSim19 :) It is great there are 3 Bedrooms! The rugs in the bedrooms are very nice. Very nice exterior design and the roofing is very great! Very nice exterior wall colours and the windows are stylishly nice! Very pretty garden beds! The open plan interior layout, furnishings and blue and orange colours are lovely! Very nice corner dining nook! The flowers are pretty on the corner walls for Sims to when eating meals, Very nice chess and punching bag nooks! The backyard hedge fenced patio is nice and great outdoors dining area. Sims will enjoy doing flower arranging on the table. Very lovely loungers area for Sims to enjoy relaxing there with the nice floral nearby area!
    It is a very nice home! :)
    Thank you so much @rosemow for your lovely review and attention to every detail 💖

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top