Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to remove university student status from an ROM npc sim

BookwyrmmeBookwyrmme Posts: 59 Member
My game turned Morgyn Ember into a dorm roomate for my sim. That removed his status as a sage. How do I fix this and get his sage status back? Thank you for the help.

Comments

• TopNotchToddlerTopNotchToddler Posts: 190 Member
    There is a guide by @kalaksed on how to cheat the sage status here.
  • BookwyrmmeBookwyrmme Posts: 59 Member
    There is a guide by @kalaksed on how to cheat the sage status here.

Thank you very much. I will see if that fixes my problem. I worry the student status will mess it up, but here is hoping. Thanks again!
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    one thing i've had to make sure to do with all three of my sages before making them sages (or, in cody's case, before *re*making him a sage) is give them all custom careers, so they don't get randomly picked to work at bars or as tech gurus or whatnot

probably won't work for avoiding them as roommate options, but hopefully it'd get in the way of becoming dormmates. haven't really checked, though, because haven't been in the game a huge amount of time, lately, and haven't touched a spellcaster since discover university dropped
    (that should change when i get free time again next week, since i plan to fix my elves and fae that lost their pointed ears since they weren't supernaturals. figured between making them vampires or spellcasters, casters would be easier on them)

but if you like, that same thread i posted how to make your own sage also includes the roommate hidden traits that also get used for dormmates (though they also get the 'university student' career multiple times, once per course they take). playing the sim briefly will remove the dormmate stuff, but not the student stuff. that you'd have to cancel on your own through the phone or computer
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    one thing i've had to make sure to do with all three of my sages before making them sages (or, in cody's case, before *re*making him a sage) is give them all custom careers, so they don't get randomly picked to work at bars or as tech gurus or whatnot

What career do you use? Will setting a career title through registering with the ministry of work have the same effect?

I really appreciate the help. I was in the process of rolling back all I had done to restart that part so he was still a sage. The whole hidden trait stuff will help a lot. I'm basically world building and setting up all the sims with their own stories and backgrounds before I have a base save that I use to start play from. This will be a huge help.
    edited February 2020
    [...]since i plan to fix my elves and fae that lost their pointed ears since they weren't supernaturals. figured between making them vampires or spellcasters, casters would be easier on them[...]
    @kalaksed I had the best results with Pointy Ears Unlocked. They are 1) inheritable on non-occults, 2) not flagged as CC on the gallery, and 3) still work even after the mod is removed.
    Bookwyrmme wrote: »
    [...]I was in the process of rolling back all I had done to restart that part so he was still a sage.[...]
    @Bookwyrmme If nothing else works you can still try saving Morgyn from within an earlier save and re-insert them into your current save.

• kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    @atreya33 yeah, that's exactly what i do, register with ministry of work and set each one's job to 'sage of x' with some quick, silly blurb made up on the spot about it. then i flag them as unplayed, go visit the lot they're on with another sim and make sure they've still got all the required hidden traits for sagedom, re-adding any needed, then evict them from the lot in manage worlds, so they're homeless and the game will actually use them as sages. i'm just sad that even if you set up a cat or dog as one's familiar this way, the pet will never show up in the magic realm

(i use the show sim info mod to check hidden traits, but mccc should do the same, if you use that)

@TopNotchToddler that's actually what i'd been using for the ears, but one of the more recent patches 'fixed' non-occults having pointed ears. i need to go in and see if i can still edit them to be pointy, since i mostly just used the presets out of laziness

and @bookwyrmme, learning all those hidden trait things and using the custom careers (and the club system!) can be a godsend for crafting your own world. that seems to be what i've been doing more of lately than actually playing the game, going in and tweaking characters i've had for years or creating/editing new additions to my various stories or sims that will make good additions or stories of their own when i have the time to work on them

like i've got a minimum of 3 custom careers i use for different vampires i don't want to get 'real' jobs, depending on if they're meant to be rich ancient bloodlines, rebellious new types or what. and my plantsim adventurer/archaeologist has a custom 'adventurer' career since the game loved to make him a bartender if i left him unplayed. learned the hard way that you want to try to give custom careers to as many townie spellcasters as you can, too, since even the 'spellcaster premade' hidden trait doesn't stop the sims from wearing their work outfits (mostly bartender, maid, pizza delivery or postal worker) every time they enter the magic realm
    it's also nice to sculpt ghosts the way you want, having specific individuals of specific death types (i even have one with two death types, since i was curious if they stacked or overrode each other) or whatnot. and i tend to give them the 'don't need to eat', 'don't need to sleep' and associated traits, with exceptions. like starvation ghosts don't get the 'don't need to eat', murphy bed and exhaustion ghosts don' get 'don't need to sleep'
    you can also use it to sculpt your roommates/dormmates... say you wind up with 5 out of 8 dormmates with the 'mealmaker' trait. that's just way too much food, so can remove the trait from a few and give them something else instead. i like to ensure there are maybe 2 mealmakers, tops, as well as at least one breaker, one fixer and one cleaner. sometimes multiple cleaners. and if you really like to stay in control of sims, reducing the number of pda roommates/dormmates is great, since those sims keep spawning random boy/girlfriends instead of reusing the same one (similar to bar regulars, since those lose their jobs the instant you leave the bar lot)
    @kalaksed I never used presets, but doing it in detail edit mode is easy and still works.
    and @bookwyrmme, learning all those hidden trait things and using the custom careers (and the club system!) can be a godsend for crafting your own world. that seems to be what i've been doing more of lately than actually playing the game, going in and tweaking characters i've had for years or creating/editing new additions to my various stories or sims that will make good additions or stories of their own when i have the time to work on them

like i've got a minimum of 3 custom careers i use for different vampires i don't want to get 'real' jobs, depending on if they're meant to be rich ancient bloodlines, rebellious new types or what. and my plantsim adventurer/archaeologist has a custom 'adventurer' career since the game loved to make him a bartender if i left him unplayed. learned the hard way that you want to try to give custom careers to as many townie spellcasters as you can, too, since even the 'spellcaster premade' hidden trait doesn't stop the sims from wearing their work outfits (mostly bartender, maid, pizza delivery or postal worker) every time they enter the magic realm
    it's also nice to sculpt ghosts the way you want, having specific individuals of specific death types (i even have one with two death types, since i was curious if they stacked or overrode each other) or whatnot. and i tend to give them the 'don't need to eat', 'don't need to sleep' and associated traits, with exceptions. like starvation ghosts don't get the 'don't need to eat', murphy bed and exhaustion ghosts don' get 'don't need to sleep'
    you can also use it to sculpt your roommates/dormmates... say you wind up with 5 out of 8 dormmates with the 'mealmaker' trait. that's just way too much food, so can remove the trait from a few and give them something else instead. i like to ensure there are maybe 2 mealmakers, tops, as well as at least one breaker, one fixer and one cleaner. sometimes multiple cleaners. and if you really like to stay in control of sims, reducing the number of pda roommates/dormmates is great, since those sims keep spawning random boy/girlfriends instead of reusing the same one (similar to bar regulars, since those lose their jobs the instant you leave the bar lot)

Those are some great suggestions and ideas. Thank you. Off to do some sim alterations