Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

First experiences with The Sims (20th birthday)

Comments

• LibertyTheFreeLibertyTheFree Posts: 234 Member
    A mistake I still make, though not the first one to be made in Sims but the one I was just reminded of: I like to browse and pick cloths in CAS at random and see if I bump into something that meets my eyes. That's pretty much how I dressed up most of my sims. Problem is, I just forget to add a new outfit before swapping them around... with no memory of the first outfits the amount of Ctrl Z's hurts my fingers :neutral:

Personally I never touched(though heard of it) the Sims games until 2014 or 15, I couldn't be sure(I was about 13 by then). So I jumped right into the Sims 4. Again, I can't be quite sure how I felt at that time, but I knew it's THE game that I'm gonna like :wink: And here I am, nearly 5k hours into the Sims 4, which is a lot, I might say so to myself :smiley:

Regardless, have a good day/night everyone out there :smile:
    AxxYIX4.png
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,421 Member
    I still remember my first sim in her first house changing the light bulb for the very first time (yes, that was a thing in sims 1)... leading to the very first sim death.
    I quit without saving and for the next few months I hit the save button with every light bulb that needed changing. Until I realised the chances of that were very low.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,829 Member
    I remember belonging to a forum where ever so often we'd have an 'up all night' event with Sims 1. We'd leave our game running all night and come back to all types of mayhem. Trash piles, fires, urns all over the lot. So much fun.

Happy Anniversary to the Sims Franchise. I've been here since the beginning and have loved every year. 🥰
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Shortly after The Sims came out in 2000, my son played it at a friend's house. We looked at it in a store and decided it would be something we could buy for the kids (well, not the baby, but my son and his precocious little sister). We only had the one computer at that time — mine, in my office — so I watched them play... and was promptly hooked. (I am told by my husband that I was already a pro at "stealing" other people's games and making them mine. He gets the console games to himself, though, as using the controller often makes me dizzy.) Anyway, that's how I came to be playing within a couple months of the game coming out.

The Sims is notable in our household for The Day My Daughter Killed Me (By Accident). She had made our family (except the baby was a child), and I died in a horrifying Model Rocket accident in the backyard. I was not allowed to make myself from that point on, ever.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    edited February 2020
    EA_Mai wrote: »
    And as I opened the topic... I should answer myself!

I remember my first steps as a builder in The Sims. I had this obsession with creating 'flying houses'! I'd place a lot of columns in the lot, build a house on top, and then delete all the columns with move_objects. Past young me found it hilarious so I did it with most of my builds :smiley:

i just recently started building when tiny living came out . mildly obssed . :) cause i'm still learning what i can do.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    My first exposure to Sims 1 was at my sister's house in 2000 when hubby and I went for a visit. I was 20. A few months later, I had a baby and my hubby bought Sims 1 for me to have something to do in my down time. That baby will be 20 himself in May.
    I'm not sure I've gone more than 2-3 weeks since without playing.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    I remember belonging to a forum where ever so often we'd have an 'up all night' event with Sims 1. We'd leave our game running all night and come back to all types of mayhem. Trash piles, fires, urns all over the lot. So much fun.

Happy Anniversary to the Sims Franchise. I've been here since the beginning and have loved every year. 🥰

I used to do that with Sims 2 sometimes. My husband always thought it was a weird thing to do. lol.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »

I used to do that with Sims 2 sometimes. My husband always thought it was a weird thing to do. lol.

so far i did the run game thing twice. just for fun. first time one of my sims got pregnant second 1 one of my sims died.
  • CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    I remember I loved Bob and Betty Newbie so much I replayed the tutorial over and over again. I can still picture the first house I ever built (kiddie corner to the Newbies).
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,277 Member
    My very first time playing TS2 was about a year after TS3 came out. I started out creating my simself of me and my husband but of course being new to the game, I didn't know that I was suppose to set the relationship for them to either be bf/gf or husband/wife. So with that being said, my first gameplay didn't go as well as it should had. I had placed them in a 1 bedroom house, so every time I tried to get them to sleep in the same bed, one would sleep in it while the other one refused to sleep in it.

I had no clue that we were supposed to pay the bills every few days, so the repo man/woman kept coming to the house to repo something from there.

I also didn't know that I couldn't have them multi-task in the game. I had my SS start cooking dinner and so I thought that I would let her read a book while the food was cooking. Well you can guess what happens next. Yup, the kitchen catches on fire and my SS freaked out while the other sim was trying to put out the fire which he failed to do and died. And so the Grim Reaper shows up and takes his body and leaves his urn on the floor for me.

So with all that happened in the first couple of hours playing, I ended up not saving the game and started over with trying to get their relationship built up so that they can be gf/gf... :)
  • Pinmat135Pinmat135 Posts: 346 Member
    When I started playing - note, this was with the Deluxe Edition, so it was very clear what button was which - I thought that the "Add new household to world" button and the "New game" buttons were the same.

I thought that it randomly purged your world, your sims would die and you'd never see them again.

I eventually figured out that they were different (note: this was approx. 6-9 months or so later) because I watched a tutorial by someone who had the normal version. They went "press the New Game button" and I went... "wait, it says NEW GAME?!"

Apparently I didn't read the buttons right. :tongue:

Also, my first household EVER was an 8-person household (1 elder, 2 young adults, 2 teens, 3 kids). I put them in one of the Willow Creek starters. No, not the one with 2 bedrooms.

Me have brain!
  • llamasflullamasflu Posts: 221 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to see how they will thank US, the customers, for helping this game to last 20 years.

I-
    tumblr_nvyznq2a181tiiy96o2_400.gifv
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    The very first time I played the game was at my cousin's house. He introduced me to the game and wanted to give me the CD.

My first surprise was playing at the Goth's House in The Sims 1 and the when the ghosts from the graveyard came out at night, the music scared me a lot. I don't like it. 😭
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,756 Member
    I remember really enjoying Sims 1 as a child, particularly Superstar and Making Magic expansion packs. One thing that has stuck in my mind was the music (I can still hear the yodelling in On Holiday). I used to find some of the sound effects when a sim did something bad quite disturbing: if you missed work, the phone would ring and there would be this striking chord, accompanied by what I can only describe as a death hiss down the phone. There was also some weirdo who would phone my sims up with a random prank call now and then.

I was also really bad at looking after babies- they were nearly always taken away by the social worker. In Sims 4 my childcare skills have improved, (though have always had to remind Norrell and Leoni to feed their children). I'm still not very good at getting their homework done.

One thing that made me laugh in Sims 2 was the cutscenes, particularly the marriage scene when one of them didn't want to go through with it. The look of horror in their eyes as the ring of commitment came closer to their finger. Nooooooooo! :D

When I first played Sims 4 (skipped Sims 3 unfortunately), I spent ages looking for the telephone in Buy Mode, then discovered that they can do all the different calls on their mobiles. How times have changed. I do love the amount of exploring they can now do around their neighbourhood, and that they can find hidden things. But what actually excited me the most about the Sims 4, when it first came out, was the amount of choice in CAS, particularly that you could create blue, green and red sims! (I love that I now have a purple mermaid). :)

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,657 Member
    edited February 2020
    My first experience was a free TS1 demo that was on a cd that came with a magazine my dad had bought. I visited for Christmas, found that cd, and sat up all night playing. I was hooked quite from the start, and also started my Simmerville webpage the following month :) I think there was already 1 EP released.

I remember I was super nervous when a sim would soon give birth, I tried to have her near the kitchen and definitely not upstairs, as I thought we could not move the bassin to another floor.

I have no pictures from that gaming session, but here is the old website. The link is for a start page for my TS1, TS2 and TS3 sims pages.

Tonight I scrolled through my Galucca story on one of my old sims blogs. And here's a memory from teens learning to drive a car :)

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/proxy/MEcXV5KjlE5fz2J4Hij3KypPx5ots6u8IyRPYEM1Hh14Kwsryl8Y-mJGvwPYwLha6r-L7qr5ANOC92OBbjScyQyTL73iKG8uJ2cHNvm6BfcXbiMxFTsjQdOol1bGbaHGlhE1mB11ZA=s0-d[/img]
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • GorandGorand Posts: 51 Member
    During my Sims 2 Playtime, I wanted to make a Grave yard, so I built franchise families ( Star Trek, Star wars, etc) and killed them all off on the same lot. Eventually, after about the 10th Family was harvested, The death message "reminded me" that the Sims was a Life Simulator.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    My first experience was 19 years ago (2001), but it was a console game. It took me literally all night just to figure out how to do the simple things in the game. I'm not sure why I didn't give up, but I managed to make it though. At the time I didn't know if there was a fourm for the game or not.
  • PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    I remember spending the night with my best friend after she got the game for her Imac at Circuirt City. I read the back of the box and was like oh. But we stayed up until 5:00 the next morning playing The Sims1. Then I asked my parents for the game. We made houses where they had to swim everywhere.

Then when Sims2 came out, we were excited because it had genetics and lifestages. I played the legacy challenge and completed a regular legacy and an alphabet legacy. My favorite is seeing male sims became alien pregnant. That is still hilarious. Also I love creating colorful sims.

Then Sims3 came out and I'm still discovering things in the Sims3. Yes, I do have the Sims4, but I can't play for long like I can with The Sims2 and The Sims3. But I do still enjoy Sims4.
    :) Smile!

• macandcheese100macandcheese100 Posts: 22 Member
    When I was a kid, I used to watch my older sister (who lived elsewhere) play the Sims 3. Eventually, my younger sister and I finally convinced our father to let us play Sims 2. We fell in love with the game and would spend hours playing it. I remember many mornings when I would wake up at the crack of dawn to play Sims on the family computer before my sister would wake up and demand a turn. In time, we moved onto the Sims 3 and now the Sims 4, but I still go back and play 2 and 3 often. There is so much character and nostalgia in Sims 2 and so much to explore in Sims 3. I've been playing the Sims for more than half of my life, and even as an adult, I still have so much passion for the game and the community we have created surrounding it.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 889 Member
    I started with Sims 2. I had no real knowledge about how to play, and was extremely surprised when my sim tried to cook something on a very cheap stove and ended up burning to death. I hadn't bought a fire alarm, and once the fire started I couldn't save or go into buy mode or anything, she couldn't run away from the fire either, as it was a very tiny home and the fire blocked her path, she just stood there waving her arms and going bonkers until she died and death showed up, and of course then it was game over because she was the only sim on the lot. I never forgot the fire alarm again.
  • silveRose82_silveRose82_ Posts: 281 Member
    I started playing the Sims with TS1 when I got it one year for Christmas. I got it all loaded up on the computer after the big Christmas meal that afternoon and started playing and realized hours later that it was about midnight and I had completely skipped eating dinner. I didn't even remember my parents going to bed, I was so hooked. I played TS1 for quite a while and had most of the expansion for it before I moved on to other games. When TS2 came out I fell in love all over again, and it is probably still my favorite version so far. When I discovered challenges it opened up a whole new world of playing for me and I have never looked back. I've only recently started getting into TS3 and TS4, but finding something I like in each of them. I currently have about 10 challenges going across TS2, 3 and 4, although I'm really only actively playing 3 of them right the moment, but I jump around once in a while. I love this game so much.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    My first mistake was all the way back in The Sims 1 back when I was still 7 years old. I let my Sim extinguish the fire instead of a firefighter, which in turn caused that Sim to die.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • SpirithartSpirithart Posts: 20 Member
    my first sims game was the sims 1 base game for x box when I was 10. so what happened was I was playing the game and my sim had to move in with the room mate and I thought everything was going to be fine like the other 2 fazes but I learned really Quickly that she only wanted me as her maid. I did not like her at all if I wanted to move out at all I had to complete these goals and move in with someone else. I finally had enough with her crap so hi built a room with no doors added wooden tables and a fireplace then let my plan go into action I was finally happy that she was gone and I thought that I could continue play with out having to deal this snob but I was wrong to continue the game I had to go back to my last save and get through all the missions to finally move out. I did beat the game in the end But I was not happy to have her alive. I'm just glad i moved in with someone else. in the end meet a guy sim,married and moved in with him, had a baby girl but I lost her to C.P.S that really shocked me I didn't know that could happen plus that was my first mistake. But in the end I had 2 boys.
  • bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    Oh gosh I've made too many mistakes over the years to count...

I started with the Sims 1 and I'm pretty sure I never accidentally killed my Sims, which was a surprise?

The first Sims 2 mistake I can remember making was having my first ever sim marry Goopy Gilscarbo, who turned out to be a romance sim and I decided I hated him and then drowned him in the pool.

Favourite moment in the Sims 3 was when I successfully got my Sim-self killed by the Curse of the Mummy (world adventures) - I loved how the screen slowly got blacker and blacker.... then I brought her back as a playable ghost, had a ghost baby, and then brought my simself back to life with Ambrosia o:)

Sims 4 hasn't been my main game (I play mostly the Sims 2) so not many fun stories to tell there.

Happy birthday to The Sims!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    I started out on day 1 of TS1. First learned about it while doing an economics paper, thought the concept intriguing and revolutionary, and kept close tabs on the game in the computer and gaming magazines. The more I read the better it looked so was ready to pounce when it came out. Started with the Bob & Betty tutorial to learn the basics and went on from there. Got all the packs, many of the add-ons Maxis and otherwise, and played the daylights out of that game. Got into building early on and have not looked back. Soon discovered TSR (it looked like a mini mall back then and each type of CC had its own department to go to) and went there for b/b stuff. The wall coverings were amazing - especially the murals.

Went on to TS2 when it came out - again day 1, much the same story, and still play it as it's my favorite version of the series. There is so much depth in that game that am still finding new things even in routine play, and there are many areas that I've yet to explore. One of the best features of 1 & 2 is that screenshots are tied to the households, which makes possible the making of what amounts to graphic novels, suitable both for own enjoyment or sharing on the site - which had provision for such things in those days.

TS3 took longer to try, and never really got into it. All the sims look the same, the graphics seem muddy, and the story telling aspect was gone with the dumping of screenshots into a common bucket. One of the coolest things I remember from those attempts was the horses wandering through the neighborhood. My sim was able to make friends with them, including the unicorn.

Got 4 soon after release (in disk form, mind you) and have picking away at it since. Have most of the packs, usually for CAS & b/b, so there is no lack of material to work with but it's just not up to the level of TS2. Gorgeous to be sure, and does have features I wish 2 had, but it's wimpy and shallow. Not to mention as buggy as a Florida swamp. So I take the old advice of eat the meat and spit out the bones, going with what works and ignoring what doesn't. Can be fun, but not immersive.

So happy anniversary to a game that's been part of my life (and provided a lot of entertainment and creative outlet) for 1/5 of a century!