Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have you stopped playing TS4, how long, and why?

Comments

• llamasflullamasflu Posts: 221 Member
    a few months
    I had no choice but to stop playing because the drive that I had ts4 on broke after I dropped it by accident. I plan on taking a break soon tho
    tumblr_nvyznq2a181tiiy96o2_400.gifv
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

I feel like additional packs should enhance the game. It's true, if you're not having fun with the Base Game, why put more money into the game you're not enjoying? However, you enjoyed the Base Game enough to purchase Outdoor Retreat. So, you don't think another pack could further enhance your game?

That is true, but I also bought OR when it was half off and I enjoyed it for a couple weeks but then my interest in the game itself waned. This was also wayyy before, even before toddlers were brought into the game, and it was severly lacking. Now there is a lot more content in the base game, but ive watched multiple reviews and lets plays of others who have other expansions, plus i visit the forums often to see others' experiences with other packs. For people who have a similar view to mine, they like the theme of the pack, the art, but the interest gradually wanes because of the way the game is. So i still dont purchase anything, even if on sale, because I know ultimately it wont "save" the game for me.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I bought multiple packs and at the end of the day they changed nothing. Exactly because what the OP is saying, the problem lies in the basegame and no pack can save that. Vampires for instance are really well done. They have one problem though: they’re in Sims 4. Which means that none of the things they do will really influence the game or mean anything. They’re vampires with powers, then they smile and hug their enemies and take a selfie.

EA will love those who try to talk others into buying more more more and thén you’ll love the game. The truth is: you won’t. And I realize lots of people are happy with Sims 4, not questioning that, but I think too many declare to have an issue with live mode to deny that is a thing. And the reason is not “you didn’t buy enough packs”. I bought seven myself, enough is enough.

Yeah, this was the case for me, too.

If they made a pack which would expand the base game, rather than plop more fluff on top of it, I'd gladly buy it. Right now, it feels unrewarding and not very fun to develop my Sims who all end up as carbon copy eternally happy beings. And the world around them is nothing but an unexciting flat terrain of boringness with Sims scripted to walk the sidewalks every so often. If a pack expanded our Sims and the world around them, that'd be perfect.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Back in the day before TS4 I was playing 8 hours or more a day. Then came TS4 and the baby object. Now I play for a hour or two. If the baby is fixed then I'll be back full swing.
  • simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    2 years or longer
    Why have you stopped?
    I guess a couple reasons. The first one being that I can’t find the time. The second one being that I’m bored in the game and can’t figure out what I want to do.

Have you purchased any expansion, GP or stuffed packs?
    I have all EPS and GPs except the last two from each. And about half of the stuff pack.

Do you play any other iterations regularly?
    Nope. I used to but when the newest one came out I dropped the last one.

Are you interested in a TS5?
    I mean maybe. I loved sims 3 the most but I also had the most time and was able to make that game with CC and mods what I wanted. I don’t have that time or patience with sims 4. And I might not with a sims 5. Do have to say Paralives looks exciting though!
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    a few weeks
    Why have you stopped?
    Currently I am playing. But I have in the past stopped for several months at a time due to just not having enough time.
    I'm the opposite as far as attention span with the game though. When I have time, this is the one that never bores me. Sims 2 and 3 I get bored of extremely quickly, they just lack the kind of game play I need for my families in live mode, due to the fact that I'm a writer and create stories and they just fight against me in those versions. Plus I can't get over the terrible art style in them, lol. Sims 1 I barely remember though I do remember I played it a lot once upon a time.

Yes. I have all of them except vampires and tiny living. I'll more than likely purchase tiny living at some point. Vampires I won't.

Not really. I don't have 3 anymore. I still have Sims 2 ultimate and it runs fine on my computer but I get bored of it so quick. Once every 4-5 months I'll check up on it, try to give it another chance, but after an hour max I am bored and shut it down again.

Not really, because I love Sims 4 so much I don't see the point in spending cash to start all over again with a base game and new Sims. It would have to really blow me away with something truly amazing to do that. Maybe if it had gradual aging so that a 1 year old is diff than a 2 year old and diff than a 3 year old etc? Also even if something that amazing I'd want to make sure it still had cartoony art style like Sims 4, and I'd probably not buy it for a few years until more packs were released and it went on a big sale for the base game or something.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2020
    1 year
    And I mean regularly play, not a quick session to check out the game after some time.

Why have you stopped?

I've stopped because the base game isn't fun, and I think the expansions and stuff packs don't fix whats missing for me.
    It's been about 2+ years for me.
    I own the camping GP.
    I regularly play the sims 3 and the sims 2. I wish I could play TS1, but I can't get it to play on my computer.
    I'm interested in TS5, but I only hope it will be a good game

I actually quit more like 11 months ago I guess since Strangerville was the last pack I bought, but I hadn't played much before then for awhile and I played that one for a day. I found it boring, though. I would say it's more like 2 years or more since I've played it regularly, but it's always been in spurts.

Anyway, to answer the questions:

Why have you stopped? I find the Sims 4 exceedingly boring. I do occasionally fire it up, but it just doesn't keep my interest. The sims are boring. The emotion system is shallow.

Have you purchased any expansion, GP or stuffed packs? I have all up to Strangerville aside from My First Pet. I haven't bought any since. Currently not even Origin is installed on my system.

Do you play any other iterations regularly? The Sims 3

Are you interested in a TS5? I would need a lot more information about it before knowing. I love the Sims 3 and wouldn't mind having a remastered version of it tbh.

Edit: Edited after a day or so but how could I have forgotten Island Living? That is the pack that brought me back to the Sims 4 because I absolutely loved Isla Paradiso for the Sims 3. Huge waste of money. THAT is what outright ticked me off and put me off of the Sims 4. I could not help but make a direct comparison between the two and honestly felt insulted.

When I look at the features for Discover University, which was another pack that could have brought me back, I got the same feeling, especially since the stuff pack afterwards contained, surprise surprise, one of the items from Sims 3 UL. The other thing that bothers me about DU is how high people start in the careers after they graduate. Crazy. I'd love it if my degree with highest honors from a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 good school allowed me to step into a CEO position. Sims 3 had it right -- Level 4. Still entry level, but high entry level. Like, a doctor started as an intern rather than a bedpan cleaner, which makes sense.
    Post edited by Felicity on
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited February 2020
    6 months
    It fails to engage me for more than 5 minutes, im not one for creating my own story and my brain is preoccupied on something else i just want to play the game without using my imagination to make something up but the gameplay aspect is severely lacking, bugs, no family play all sims acts the same.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    6 months
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    You only have the Base Game and Outdoor Retreat? No wonder you’re not having fun. OR is so boring to me personally.

Actually I really like OR. I really love camping and I think the sites look very pretty. But it shouldn't take DLC for your game to be fun, it should be fun on its own. When im not camping its back to the same game that I feel is missing a soul, so no matter what DLC I get it'll still be the same game - lack of personality, consequences etc

Agree. The worst thing ive done was to decide to complete all dlc. It really doesn't matter how much content you have on sims 4. It will always feel shallow.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited February 2020
    6 months
    Why have you stopped?
    Island Living pretty much killed it for me it proved that they only care to put little effort on this game. As someone who loves all things water swimming surfing and all the other stuff that should have came it was a major let down seeing what little can pass as a expansion these days. Even worse that pack was so empty and they could not even bother to make all worlds swimmable at least they went back with Seasons and updated all the worlds not just the new ones.

Yes and they hardly expand the game just a bunch of mini games with a few objects tossed in. (Besides Parenthood Seasons and Get Together)

The only version of Sims that works on this PC is Sims 3 and I never cared for it if only I got my hands on the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection so no

I'm interested in seeing what they do but seeing how they put no effort in this game and it hardly has the budget to even do animations right in a expansion "cough lounge chair" I expect more of the same corner cutting.

But as others said the base game is a mess at this point they are slapping lipstick on a pig. As of now I will create new families or edit a building but Live Mode is just boring the Sims are just empty and void of life and charm they once had in past games the only real hope is if that last survey actually happens and possibly they are given the budget needed to fix this mess.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    a few months
    It isn't by choice. My anxiety gets in the way of me doing updates (because of bugs, mostly. Especially with Mac users). I haven't played since the Legacy patch because of this.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member
    1 year

Why have you stopped?
    The characters are completely lacking in personality. Emotions and personality are not the same thing. Every sim shouldn't use a smartphone, take selfies, read books, use a computer, feel happy every time they see a decorated room (especially for the 10th time). Emotions are also easily overridden. It just screams poor design. No attraction system, I want dating to be interesting not spamming romantic intereactions at any sim I see. No hobbies or likes/dislikes. No variety in CAS relationships. I mean come on, I want to watch their lives unfold and see consequences to the things I make them do, not play doll house.

I have a some of them. However, I stopped back in 2018 and I'm not going to buy anymore packs until the sims personality and relationships are improved etc. If that comes as part of a pack I would definitely purchase that.

DLC is fine and helps to bolster the gameplay, but none of it has addressed the core issues I mentioned above.
    For instance, where is the hobbies pack that can add in likes and dislikes and whims that are directly related to what a sim is doing at any given time? Where is the romance pack that adds in a chemistry system?
    Why didn't parenthood add in more CAS relationships?

No only because TS4 was my first sims game and I don't own any of the others.

No. I have absolutely no reason to believe that TS5 won't look great but have the depth of a kiddie pool.

• Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited February 2020
    2 years or longer
    Why have you stopped?

It just isn't fun. They're too predictable and too mindless, it's like playing a game that's always the same each and every time, there's only so long you can play it before it just becomes pointless.

GTW, that's it... After looking at that, I could already see which way the game was going and stopped playing.

The Sims 2

Kind of.

I'm hoping it is better, but I fear it'll be even worse.
    raw
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    a few weeks
    Why have you stopped?
    A combination of real life obligations & playing other games. I've been a gamer already before I was a simmer, so there's always other games the sims have to compete with. But at no point was a specific shortcoming of Sims 4 the reason for me taking a break. Mind you, I'm not saying the game is a flawless masterpiece. It just so happens that my playstyle meshes well with this iteration and when I happen upon something I do not want to put up with (for example the slightest trace of story progression), I go look for a new mod.

All but Seasons, RoM and Tiny living, most of them in bundles and sales because I couldn't justify paying full price.

I binge-play Sims 2 for a few weeks twice or maybe thrice a year. If the Sims 4 mods I consider critical ever stop working, then I'm going to return to Sims 2 fulltime. Sims 3 never was a feasible alternative for me.

No, and I wasn't interested even before the online and competitive play nonsense got hinted at.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    a few weeks
    Why have you stopped?
    A combination of real life obligations & playing other games. I've been a gamer already before I was a simmer, so there's always other games the sims have to compete with. But at no point was a specific shortcoming of Sims 4 the reason for me taking a break. Mind you, I'm not saying the game is a flawless masterpiece. It just so happens that my playstyle meshes well with this iteration and when I happen upon something I do not want to put up with (for example the slightest trace of story progression), I go look for a new mod.

All but Seasons, RoM and Tiny living, most of them in bundles and sales because I couldn't justify paying full price.

I binge-play Sims 2 for a few weeks twice or maybe thrice a year. If the Sims 4 mods I consider critical ever stop working, then I'm going to return to Sims 2 fulltime. Sims 3 never was a feasible alternative for me.

No, and I wasn't interested even before the online and competitive play nonsense got hinted at.

EDIT: I should perhaps clarify that I'm playing at the moment. I stopped for a few weeks in July and in November/December. I guess I misunderstood "stopped" as also including "taking a break".
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    edited February 2020
    a few weeks
    thecatsred wrote: »

No, I don't have the energy to find mods for sims three that don't make the sims absolutely terrifying to look at. Plus that game ran terribly with all expansions.
    I suppose you mean you don’t have the energy to pull some sliders and make an effort :p Art style is a matter of taste and I’m all for different opinions, but how on earth is for instance my avatar sim ‘terrifying to look at’ :D I wouldn’t have a problem marrying terrifying, that’s for sure.

I'm sorry, but yeah no. The sims 3 artstyle was awful. I had to use skin mods. All new hair mods. Eye mods. Clothing mods. I don't want to make you sad but the sim in your avi is still creepy looking and doing that uncanny territory thing that sims 3 kept toeing the line at. That's why it's freaky to me. And that's why I hated it. And continue to hate it. I love sims 4 and the cartoony style. It reminds me of sims 2, but updated in a way that's really pleasing.

Like... Link's Awakening. Cartoony, but really comfortable to look at.

Also - at the end of my post I said I spend 80% of my time in CAS. I'm perfectly fine moving sliders around and making an effort. I have well over 50 unique hand-made sims that all look very different from each other. Character making is my hobby and I'm good at it. Sims 3's models were just ugly.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

I'm sorry, but yeah no. The sims 3 artstyle was awful.

Yes! The sims 3 sims still look sooo ugly to me. It's uncanny valley. I play it a lot but I try not to think about it.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • maicemaice Posts: 167 Member
    2 years or longer
    Yes I've pretty much stopped. For me, I was having great fun with my legacy family and writing their story - but in 2017 when Photobucket took away their hosting, it destroyed what I'd created. So I stopped - I had almost 3000 pictures and I couldn't face fixing that.

I've dabbled here and there in new things - tried a 100 baby challenge a few months ago but didn't make it far. I've played a few days with every new pack before getting bored. But I haven't really played since 2017. It's not all Photobucket though - the game just wasn't enjoyable outside of my one family - and even the family was only fun because of the story I was telling.

I'm now working on reposting my original story and moving my photos to wordpress. I'm actually a bit excited to finally resume my legacy family and their story when I get all caught up again. Until then I just don't have much interest. I'm a little worried, when I pick them up again, I'll find them boring, too.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2020
    6 months
    Hmmm, never paid attention to Sims 3 artstyle as I never looked at graphics as an sole reason for disregarding an game as I look at artstyle, gameplay as well as features as an whole. Sims 4 only has artstyle going for it and not so much the gameplay and features and for those reasons I can disregard Sims 4 as average game and not something I would go Gaga over. Heck even Sims 2 as old as it is outmatches Sims 4 for me. Another thing about Sims 4 it does not scale to what the system possesses and for me that is sad and unfortunate and is my opinion and mine alone. SIms 4 could have been GOTY for me if it expanded on what Sims 3 had and used the technology that is available and also tweak when the game need tweaking. another thing Sims 3 is an older program and SIms 4 is an newer program and it is hardly pushed to it's limits so I find the experience in Sims 4 less appetizing for me.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    a few weeks
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Hmmm, never paid attention to Sims 3 artstyle as I never looked at graphics as an sole reason for disregarding an game

If I'm going to be spending like 8 hours with a sim I'd like to at least be able to look at them without cringing.

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2020
    6 months
    Hmmm, never paid attention to Sims 3 artstyle as I never looked at graphics as an sole reason for disregarding an game

If I'm going to be spending like 8 hours with a sim I'd like to at least be able to look at them without cringing.

If I am going to play an game for 8 hours I do not want to play where it gets boring quickly and I never cringed at how my Sims looked as and my Sims looked fine on all my high end systems and I had posted it is more than an artstyle that makes the game for me and not one part. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    a few weeks
    If I am going to play an game for 8 hours I do not want to play where it gets boring quickly and I never cringed at how my Sims looked as and my Sims looked fine on all my high end systems and I had posted it is more than an artstyle that makes the game for me and not one part. :)

I spend most of my time in CAS. Vanilla sims 3 sims look like greasy potatoes even on high end systems. Only a metric ton of CC will fix that, and even then... is painting over something nasty really fixing it, or hiding it?

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2020
    1 year

I spend most of my time in CAS. Vanilla sims 3 sims look like greasy potatoes even on high end systems. Only a metric ton of CC will fix that, and even then... is painting over something nasty really fixing it, or hiding it?

When you're talking about aesthetics, it's fixing it. I don't find I need that much CC, though, to fix it. Certainly not a metric ton. A custom skin, customs sliders, and custom hairs. Combine them into one lovely little package file, and you too can have non-potato Sim 3 sims.

No comments about my avatar, though. I don't think she looks like a greasy potato, but you may ;)

Edit: What's nice about Sims 3 makeup is just how customizable it is, down to how opaque, so you can do a lot just with the vanilla assets if you're willing to customize the colors. When you have three channels for a lipstick, it's pretty easy to make a glossy lip.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2020
    2 years or longer

No, I don't have the energy to find mods for sims three that don't make the sims absolutely terrifying to look at. Plus that game ran terribly with all expansions.
    I suppose you mean you don’t have the energy to pull some sliders and make an effort :p Art style is a matter of taste and I’m all for different opinions, but how on earth is for instance my avatar sim ‘terrifying to look at’ :D I wouldn’t have a problem marrying terrifying, that’s for sure.

I'm sorry, but yeah no. The sims 3 artstyle was awful. I had to use skin mods. All new hair mods. Eye mods. Clothing mods. I don't want to make you sad but the sim in your avi is still creepy looking and doing that uncanny territory thing that sims 3 kept toeing the line at. That's why it's freaky to me. And that's why I hated it. And continue to hate it. I love sims 4 and the cartoony style. It reminds me of sims 2, but updated in a way that's really pleasing.

Like... Link's Awakening. Cartoony, but really comfortable to look at.

Also - at the end of my post I said I spend 80% of my time in CAS. I'm perfectly fine moving sliders around and making an effort. I have well over 50 unique hand-made sims that all look very different from each other. Character making is my hobby and I'm good at it. Sims 3's models were just ugly.
    Lol, that doesn't make me sad, I just seriously can't see how he's creepy myself :D (no, Sims 3's models aren't 'just ugly', they apparently are to you but for me they are still the best in the franchise; my own that is). And since he's in my game living his life, everything's fine ;)

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate people preferring different art styles. Not too fond of Sims 4's sims myself (only when I make them really cartoony), nor sims in 2. I just don't understand why, when people are discussing the games, I'd have to mention that all the time. But that's me. Funny thing is that I find a lot of the CC I see creepy (especially for Sims 3 actually). My sim does have a custom skin btw.

We'll have to take your word for your CAS skills ;) I just notice many people struggle with the puffy look.

ETA (missed it the first time), what do you mean by “doing that uncanny territory thing”. What he’s doing is part of the aging up animation.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2020
    2 years or longer
    Hmmm, never paid attention to Sims 3 artstyle as I never looked at graphics as an sole reason for disregarding an game as I look at artstyle, gameplay as well as features as an whole. Sims 4 only has artstyle going for it and not so much the gameplay and features and for those reasons I can disregard Sims 4 as average game and not something I would go Gaga over. Heck even Sims 2 as old as it is outmatches Sims 4 for me. Another thing about Sims 4 it does not scale to what the system possesses and for me that is sad and unfortunate and is my opinion and mine alone. SIms 4 could have been GOTY for me if it expanded on what Sims 3 had and used the technology that is available and also tweak when the game need tweaking. another thing Sims 3 is an older program and SIms 4 is an newer program and it is hardly pushed to it's limits so I find the experience in Sims 4 less appetizing for me.
    Me neither in the beginning, when I played on medium settings. Looks really wasn't what got me hooked. But ever since I play highest settings and they started to pay more attention to making the worlds beautiful, I find myself taking thousands and thousands of screenshots while playing. I must love the art style I guess :p But yeah, it wouldn't matter if the game was a bore. But I can't deny their looks do matter to me. Which is why I'm nervous for the revelation of parafolk... I guess I'm just lucky. I love Sims 3's looks, I love the game ánd it runs like a charm.
    5JZ57S6.png