March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Parenthood: Need help ending a childhood phase

One of my children is tormenting me with an extremely persistent picky eater phase. It doesn't go away with time, I can't talk her out of it, I've tried cheats (yes, all of them, because I know this phase has several... phases) and a mod that's supposed to make phases go away immediately after they come up, but nothing works.

Since this child is supposed to stay a child forever, just waiting for her to grow up isn't a solution. I could of course try to age her up and down again, but even if that worked, I'd have to redo her entire wardrobe, which includes several outfits per category. And who's to say she won't suffer a relapse the next day?

I don't use MCCC because it tends to do more damage than good to my game, but please, if anyone knows any other mod that can help with bugged childhood phases, or maybe a little change in a script file (where would that be?), I'll take it!

Comments

• NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Hoping you get some good help with this, but thanks for posting it, as it confirms my unwillingness to get Parenthood ever. It sounds like such a cluster. Maybe I'll get it eventually if I know I can just cheat through all the unpleasantness of Extreme Over-Parenting as a way of life. But it sounds like it stinks on ice. So, thanks for the warning.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    All I can say is good luck. This is by far my least favorite part about Parenthood. The mood swings and phases should be optional. I’m very surprised no one (that I know of) has made a mod to make the mood swings and phases optional.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    It is the worse. Picky eater and bear phase make me want to uninstall it. I feel like parents at a certain level should be able to talk their kids out of these phases.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    That’s strange. Usually the phases fade away after a few days. How long have they had it?

Bear phase is hilarious especially when the parents start wearing sympathy bear suits 😂
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    With picky eater the parents can discuss healthy eating habits with the kids and I think that helps shorten it.
  • TopNotchToddlerTopNotchToddler Posts: 190 Member
    edited February 2020
    [...]I've tried cheats (yes, all of them, because I know this phase has several... phases) and a mod that's supposed to make phases go away immediately after they come up, but nothing works.[...]

Is the trait still visible in the trait list? Then maybe the trait names have been changed. You could try looking up the sim's traits and hidden traits with Show Sim Info.
    [...]I don't use MCCC because it tends to do more damage than good to my game,[...]

Had the same problem until I started to only include modules that I needed. For example, if you dont want MCCC to move households or get your sims pregnant, remove mc_population.ts4script and mc_pregnancy.ts4script from your mod folder.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited February 2020
    Removing the trait with the remove trait cheat should work. Like TopNotchToddler said, maybe the trait name has changed. Check with siminfo what the trait is called, or you could just try the trait remove cheat according to TwistedMexi. According to him there are several picky eater traits.

Picky Eater A traits.remove_trait ChildhoodPhase_PickyEater_A
    Picky Eater B traits.remove_trait childhoodphase_PickyEater_B
    Picky Eater C traits.remove_trait childhoodphase_PickyEater_C
    Picky Eater D traits.remove_trait childhoodphase_PickyEater_D
    Picky Eater E traits.remove_trait childhoodphase_PickyEater_DisgustedByFood
    Picky Eater F traits.remove_trait childhoodphase_PickyEater_F
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    Live with it, then. Sims don't die from a bad moodlet, and eat most food anyway.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Removing the trait with the remove trait cheat should work. Like TopNotchToddler said, maybe the trait name has changed. Check with siminfo what the trait is called, or you could just try the trait remove cheat according to TwistedMexi. According to him there are several picky eater traits.

TwistedMexi states that you need their mod to re-enable the cheats, as they don't work in the vanilla game anymore. (They can actually make it worse - the trait disappears from the list of traits, but the phase never ends.)

Personally, 'picky eater' doesn't bother me. They still eat what I make them eat. And the bear phase is adorable. Have you tried talking through the phase? This normally shortens it, except in the case of 'loud and obnoxious'.
    I just want things to match. :'(
    edited February 2020

TwistedMexi states that you need their mod to re-enable the cheats, as they don't work in the vanilla game anymore. (They can actually make it worse - the trait disappears from the list of traits, but the phase never ends.)

True, but not for the equip and remove trait cheat...That command still works, I do agree that you should be careful with using these cheats though and make multiple saves when you are using them.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    How long have they had it?

I don't remember when exactly she got it, but she'd had it for weeks before her brother went to university, and now he's got his degree and she's still not over it.

Is the trait still visible in the trait list? Then maybe the trait names have been changed. You could try looking up the sim's traits and hidden traits with Show Sim Info.

It is visible in the traits list, yes. Thank you for the link to that mod, I'm going to check it out!

[...]I don't use MCCC because it tends to do more damage than good to my game,[...]

Had the same problem until I started to only include modules that I needed. For example, if you dont want MCCC to move households or get your sims pregnant, remove mc_population.ts4script and mc_pregnancy.ts4script from your mod folder.

The thing I don't understand is: Why not just give us that mod without any presets and let us enable the things we want? I downloaded all the modules because that's how I expected them to work according to my logic, to have them in the game as options, but nope, MCCC just presumes from the getgo that my NPCs need babies. Lots and lots of babies! That's one thing I'm aware of, but who knows how many other unexpected traps this mod has in store...

You could just try the trait remove cheat according to TwistedMexi. According to him there are several picky eater traits.

That was the first thing I tried after previously curing another picky eater with these cheats. But I'm starting to think it's the girl herself that is somehow broken. It's not just the never-ending phase, her hair colour also kept changing until I took that hair and made a CC version with only the one colour she's supposed to have. Makes me think the game simply can't handle a sim being a kid for that long, and it's nudging me to finally let her grow up!

Live with it, then. Sims don't die from a bad moodlet, and eat most food anyway.

Yeah, no 🐸🐸🐸🐸! Still annoying, though, when your kid is perpetually sad. She's supposed to be an evil little harbinger of doom, imagine the damage to her reputation if it became known that she gets depressed by food! Then again... If I can't get rid of this, I might just accept it as a unique quirk that only this one sim has.

Have you tried talking through the phase? This normally shortens it, except in the case of 'loud and obnoxious'.

I know that's how it's supposed to work, but not in this case, unfortunately. All she wants to eat is quick meals - any quick meals - and cakes. Yes, cakes! She did eat her mother's honey cake the other day without making a face, so there might still be hope.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering who that kid is, you can see her in my signature.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited February 2020
    I used a cheat and my teen finally got out of her phase. (She would get uncomfortable moodlets next to her family).

True, but not for the equip and remove trait cheat...That command still works, I do agree that you should be careful with using these cheats though and make multiple saves when you are using them.

Doesn't work for the 'loud and obnoxious' phase - I've tried, and although the trait disappears from the in-game list of traits, the kid is still foul-mouthed. I don't like using mods (only because I don't want to update them when a patch breaks them - no time for that). The trait name hasn't changed, at least according to the cheat given on TwistedMexi's website. I'm using the right command, with testing cheats on. It simply doesn't work. :/

Doesn't work for the 'loud and obnoxious' phase - I've tried, and although the trait disappears from the in-game list of traits, the kid is still foul-mouthed. I don't like using mods (only because I don't want to update them when a patch breaks them - no time for that). The trait name hasn't changed, at least according to the cheat given on TwistedMexi's website. I'm using the right command, with testing cheats on. It simply doesn't work. :/

Ah, that's too bad. I guess one last thing you could try is to add the trait first with the traits.equip_trait and then remove it with the traits.remove_trait cheat. I think that's how I got rid of a trait that was bugged.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Update: I finally played again today and tried the Sim Info mod on my picky eater child. Turns out the name of the trait hasn't changed, it's still the picky eater phase, and now I even know the letter: D. But that doesn't help me, as the phase still doesn't end and the cheat still doesn't work.

I guess there is no solution then. Never mind.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Phases have always been bugged in my game. Once I have a child or teen go into a certain phase, they'll never grow out of it, no matter how much the parents try helping them through it.

I don't mind any of them too much, but the Bear one irritates me. I'm always annoyed when I go into a household and find a small "bear" in the Sim panel.

I use the Advanced Debug/Cheats Interactions Mod, and when shift-clicking a Sim it brings up a menu. Somewhere in the menu there's a section, "remove trait", and that brings up a menu with a list of all equipped traits. I remove the phases that way.
    It's basically the same thing as typing in the cheat to remove traits, but typing it in doesn't always work for some reason. Having the menu unlocked with the mod has yet to fail me, though.
    I also believe it's similar to the Sim Info mod, but I don't have any experience with that one.

Ah, that's too bad. I guess one last thing you could try is to add the trait first with the traits.equip_trait and then remove it with the traits.remove_trait cheat. I think that's how I got rid of a trait that was bugged.

I think I did have to add it back, so that it showed in the traits panel, and simply suffer through the phase. I don't understand why these cheats were disabled - maybe the execution of the cheat itself was buggy, and sometimes did result in a phase that wouldn't end.