Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What online/multiplayer options would you find acceptable in a Sims game?

The starting point for this poll is: we already have some online features in The Sims: as of now, it's only the gallery and the ability to comment on others' creations, download and favorite them, run challenges by uploading shells and letting others edit them. The core of the game is single-player and I personally don't think that part is going away anytime soon in a future installment. That said, adding more online and multiplayer features has clearly been on EA's and the devs' minds for a long time.
So I figured it would be interesting to know what level of multiplayer/online would people here be okay with.

Umbrella assumption #1:
Any online features would not be accessible to Simmers with a child account (as they are now). Only Teen+ accounts would be allowed to take advantage of them. 

Umbrella assumption #2:
Any multiplayer feature is in addition to the typical single-player functionality (with the exception of option 6) and not a requirement to participate in (to make the game still fully functional for players under the specific ages excluded from online features by law). 

Question: What kind of multiplayer options would you find acceptable in an upcoming Sims game?

1) Gallery only
Just the gallery sharing as it is at the moment: uploading lots, rooms, and households, favoriting and downloading other Simmers' creations. 

2) Gallery + Friend sharing 
Being able to share creations with friends only (as well as public sharing of lots, rooms, households for the whole community). Being able to send creations directly to someone you're friends with either on the gallery or on Origin. 

3) Community neighborhood
Ability to bring your Sim to an online neighborhood accessible to other Simmers, uneditable lots/areas that maybe have a cafe where your Sim can order food and drink or item and food stalls with unique items that can't be purchased with a DLC. Areas designed for skill-building where Sims could mentor others if their skill is high enough. If your Sim is the one mentoring, they can earn Simoleons for their effort.

4) Socializing community areas
An online area that works as a giant chatroom where you can bring your Sim and talk to others directly. 

5) Semi-online experience
Two sections of the game: a typical single player that's closed off to anyone else and a multiplayer open section where anyone can join in and interact with what you create. If you build in the communal area, your creation can be modified by others, items removed or added, etc. Something like, for example, certain Roblox games where you can join a server and it's open to anyone. Possibly an ability to create areas with access limited to friends only. 

6) Fully online MMO
Everything is online and open to the public. You can purchase a lot and build on it, set access to public or friends only (like setting up a social media account), run a business where other Simmers can send their Sims to eat or participate in activities. Story progression created by other Simmers around the world. 

7) Sims Freeplay model
Ability to visit worlds of people you've friended, special in-game currency obtainable by visiting friends' lots or neighborhoods, community challenges and events (working towards a common goal), DLC packs and currency purchasable via an in-game store (micro-transactions or direct purchases). 

8) Single-player only.
No online features. Creations are only shareable by directly sending someone a file or via an exchange site. 

9) Other
There are tons of other possibilities: Simmer profiles being expanded so you could share more than just lots, rooms, and households. A "dashboard" kind of feature where you could share screenshots or text posts about and from your game. A way to cooperate on a build in real-time (there is a mod for it at the moment but it's not 100% flawless since the core mechanic isn't in the game). Build challenges included directly in the game itself. Rewards for maintaining a streak in playing daily. 
If you have ideas that you think would work for a Sims game that are online and/or multiplayer, sound off in the comments. 

If you think anything at all multiplayer/online is a bad idea, just click option 8 ;) 

What online/multiplayer options would you find acceptable in a Sims game? 83 votes

Gallery only
43%
jeepjeepcatAprilDawnCamkatPlayerSinger2010elanorbretonMindofythecatsredHestiataydevFelicitymikawagBabykittyjadeMoonfoxNightcryDevilNDisguiseannaliese39SavvySimmietexxx78OldeseadoggeColton147147xMarianx 36 votes
Gallery + Friend sharing
20%
auroraael14haneulbethyGraceJavi182KhrisstyneChampandGirlieLemon405Internal_ChaosEnkiSchmidtScobreStarfreeZeiLyouflnmikamakimonnerdfashionGeralt_ofRiviaAngeliqueAdelaide 17 votes
Community neighborhood
6%
DeKayAtreya33CheekyimpSimmyFroggyAdmiral8Q 5 votes
Socializing community areas
2%
PurrrmeowPrink34320V2 2 votes
Semi-online experience
6%
freindlylolldmarkohellokitty1496x4m1r4Sigma1202 5 votes
Fully online MMO
1%
draculusa2003 1 vote
Sims Freeplay model
1%
Monaveil 1 vote
Single-player only
8%
Colorist40TeeSeamotdkAPottsdoedearSimTrippyNorthDakotaGamer 7 votes
Other
10%
simgirl1010deskitaVampireSapphireAquaGamer1212silentcyborgperagogoDaepheneFallenxroses7BrightBlueInk 9 votes

Comments

• ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Semi-online experience
    Multi-player isn't my thing, but as long as single-players can flag their accounts as such (so as not to be pestered with requests to join multi-player games) and it doesn't hamper the overall gaming experience for everyone, (no giving specific content to only one group or the other, able to add the multi-player feature without cutting corners in other areas of the game) I see no reason why we can't have both options.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited February 2020
    Gallery only
    They already have The Sims Freeplay and The Sims Mobile as some kind of successor to The Sims Social/The Sims Online. It’s a good concept as it is because it’s mobile and doesn’t cost as much resources to develop versus a PC version.

If they want to continue with an “online multiplayer” IP, I would prefer if they continued on with the mobile road. This way, they can invest on even more resources to develop The Sims 5. A lot more focus towards the main game and give us a stable, working great product. I would rather that instead of EA envisioning a cross-platform game or releasing it on multiple platforms on day 1 as a quick cash grab.

I just hope that, even though every single one of us is a Simmer at heart, we would be a lot more observant, skeptical and passionate about the next sequel as to not simply allow EA Games to get away with a bare bones release again.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Community neighborhood
    Hestia wrote: »
    They already have The Sims Freeplay and The Sims Mobile as some kind of successor to The Sims Social/The Sims Online. It’s a good concept as it is because it’s mobile and doesn’t cost as much resources to develop versus a PC version.

If they want to continue with an “online multiplayer” IP, I would prefer if they continued on with the mobile road. This way, they can invest on even more resources to develop The Sims 5. A lot more focus towards the main game and give us a stable, working great product. I would rather that instead of EA envisioning a cross-platform game or releasing it on multiple platforms on day 1 as a quick cash grab.

I just hope that, even though every single one of us is a Simmer at heart, we would be a lot more observant, skeptical and passionate about the next sequel as to not simply allow EA Games to get away with a bare bones release again.

The big thing here is that Sims Studio/Maxis/whatever they are now are not involved in FP or Mobile anymore since they've both been transferred to Firemonkeys now. So the development of those has no impact on resources of the main PC/Mac/console game.

I do think they will go for cross-platform, but not mobile. Rather, as they're aiming for now, they'll try to make sure that all the current platforms will get a concurrent release. Mac and console have previously been behind and I think they'll try to avoid that with the next installment. It's still different teams working on console vs PC vs Mac though (well, the PC/Mac ones overlap) so that should not impact anything other than the release date.
    If they're looking at some form of multiplayer added to the usual single-player game, I think it's a good sign that we're not going to end up with the same start as TS4 (aka a MMO converted into a SP on an impossible deadline).
  • VampireSapphireVampireSapphire Posts: 90 Member
    Other
    Other- like the old split screen multiplayer with a friend type play on ps2 sims 2. But without the split screen. So just playing with one other player and sharing sims
    But community neighbourhood seems a fun idea
  • VampireSapphireVampireSapphire Posts: 90 Member
    Other
    I would prefer friend only multiplayer and not just anyone can join and play servers
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited February 2020
    Gallery + Friend sharing
    Even this is a stretch for me. I probably wouldn't use friend-sharing features but I'm guessing that others would.

I'm fine with having community challenges or events. I don't want some virtual shared world. I don't need to play someone else's game.

The few times I've watched others play on YouTube or Twitch, I end up just wanting to go and play my own game. I can appreciate that there's a different play style out there but if most of the resources go into some shared group play, I'm not going to be interested.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited February 2020
    Gallery only
    Hestia wrote: »

The big thing here is that Sims Studio/Maxis/whatever they are now are not involved in FP or Mobile anymore since they've both been transferred to Firemonkeys now. So the development of those has no impact on resources of the main PC/Mac/console game.

I do think they will go for cross-platform, but not mobile. Rather, as they're aiming for now, they'll try to make sure that all the current platforms will get a concurrent release. Mac and console have previously been behind and I think they'll try to avoid that with the next installment. It's still different teams working on console vs PC vs Mac though (well, the PC/Mac ones overlap) so that should not impact anything other than the release date.
    If they're looking at some form of multiplayer added to the usual single-player game, I think it's a good sign that we're not going to end up with the same start as TS4 (aka a MMO converted into a SP on an impossible deadline).

I understand. Regardless of whether it is developed by The Sims Studio or not, I would rather them fully focus on a PC version (Windows & Mac) with gallery sharing elements and not further than that. EA servers have not been known as the most stable during launch.

I’ve also come to notice that way back then during TS2 - TS3 era, they made console Sims in a completely different direction/concept. I found the franchise to be a lot more engaging to the community and of better quality...

In terms of cross-platform, they will be watering down a multitude of features if that is their intentions. I honestly don’t want to think on how much will be missing in base game if they did that.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Gallery + Friend sharing
    I don't have a lot of friends that even play the game but I know others do. I like the gallery and use it quite a bit. I like creating my own neighborhoods and sims and if it's ever an online game I'm not sure how that would be implemented in a way that would work for me. I wouldn't want anyone to change anything of mine. I don't want them to take away creative features for an online game either. If it's an online game the ability to create our own neighborhoods or world probably wouldn't be a feature. I like offline games. I wouldn't mind some offline games that could be split-screen on the PlayStation just so my kids could play together but other than that I have no intention of playing any online games.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Gallery only
    Same as we have now. Online gallery for sharing creativity and nothing else.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Gallery only
    I'd only support the Gallery
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Other
    If I was designing a multiplayer sims option, mostly I'd limit online content to building and maybe CAS. I'd put back in a world building tool and let people work on a world cooperatively (building and populating), and post whole worlds to the gallery. Most of it would be friends only, because every online game attracts jerks and they'd run around vandalizing stuff.

Playing sims together sounds like it would be fun for maybe five minutes, for me. Young players might use it as a way to just hang out, so I'd keep it limited to friends only version of option 3 if I was including that, with the types of interactions that would be abused disabled in multiplayer. I would most likely never use it unless my granddaughter had it and wanted me to play with her.
  • vincentvega8899vincentvega8899 Posts: 103 Member
    A lot of people hated it but for console I personally liked the 2 player split screen where you can play with another family member. Please do that. Sounds like a ton of work but it’ll be more meaningful for family’s that family play.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Gallery only
    I love the gallery but beyond that it’s Keep Out. I don’t share my actual game with anybody. It’s 100% my world my way, I don’t want anyone else mucking about in it. I let my 14 year old niece play my game sometimes when she’s here. After I have taken out my sims folder, locked it on a password protected external hard drive and generated a new folder. Because yes, I am that protectionist about it.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Gallery only
    As someone who can't build to save their life, the gallery is a God-send in my opinion. Other than that, stay out! It's my game, my rules. Besides, I'm an adult. I don't want to be playing with a teenager that I don't know.

There is a looot of shaky ground with something like multiplayer games, especially The Sims.
  • deskitadeskita Posts: 24 Member
    Other
    With multiplayer I'd prefer having the option to invite friends to play sims in the same save-file as you kinda like in the console versions. I'd prefer having no multiplayer over something always online though.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited February 2020
    Gallery + Friend sharing
    I want it to stay single player but I do enjoy the Gallery a lot. It would be cool to directly link builds and creations through the Origin chat system.

I wouldn't want to risk sending save files apart from 3rd party cloud sites to QA Gurus because of the risk of computer viruses. I mean I use discord to share a lot of my creations already.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Single-player only
    Nothing would make online or multiplayer options acceptable. I do not see any positives in the addition.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    edited February 2020
    Gallery + Friend sharing
    I would have preferred if it was only the gallery, and I'm glad that that option was the most popular, but I feel like the Friend Sharing you described wouldn't be too bad, especially since it's optional.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    Other
    I liked the idea of friend accounts being able to build together, and having live build challenges in game. I also would be happy with the gallery + friend sharing. I'd be okay-ish with a community neighborhood/small world (for those who want it, I personally wouldn't play it), as long as it wasn't the focus of the game, and was optional/basic.

I definitely don't want the sims freeplay/mmo type game, or any gated off 'connect to multiplayer to visit' in the single player game. If ea/maxis absolutely couldn't resist putting micro transactions/loot boxes in (I strongly disagree with the concept), I don't want to see any allusions to them in the single player version.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    Community neighborhood
    I think both Gallery+Friend Sharing and Community Neighborhood could be fun. I don't really talk a lot to my Origin friends or people who follow me on the Gallery, so I think having an uneditable lot to mingle with other simmers could be fun... At least the theory sounds fun. Don't know how it would be like if it was implemented. 😂 I feel like most simmers would be nice and aren't trolls, right...? *nervous laughter* Right?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Other
    I think if they were to go the route of Minecraft it would work out fine. Single player, and then multiplayer servers. You can create your own servers for your friends or community to use and you can set the rules. And then Maxis could have a big community server everyone is able to join. There could even be an 'open to LAN' option if you'd like someone to play in your single person world on your own terms....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    Gallery only
    as it is now with sims 4 is the most that i want with online in the sims.
  • TwicelikeyTwicelikey Posts: 176 Member
    Gallery only
    Gallery..just a gallery. I fear anything else would just be riddled with microtransactions.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    Community neighborhood
    The gallery is a great addition, I hope to see something similar in future sims games.
    Visiting community lots created by others without altering each others game is as far as I want to go.
    If anyone else can alter my save I am out.
  • BrightBlueInkBrightBlueInk Posts: 1 New Member
    Other
    I think challenges being implemented in game would be cool, like being able to put rules for a challenge into the game and have the game keep track of the rules and goals. Otherwise, I really only want hands off stuff like the gallery.