Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone experience issues with the latest patch - 1.8/2.3?

Comments

• Options
    palesunflowerpalesunflower Posts: 169 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I just installed and had a Crash-To-Finder (CTF) experience on the first bootup. I am playing with CC (had no problems with the previous patch) and AwesomeMod (downloaded the latest version).

Am trying it a second time to see if it happens again. Sometimes I get the CTF for no reason at all...
  • Options
    palesunflowerpalesunflower Posts: 169 New Member
    edited December 2009
    The CTF persists for me. Anyone find they need to remove AwesomeMod to get it to work?

I'm playing on MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard.

UPDATE: It seems my problem is coming from AwesomeMod. Game boots up fine when I remove it from my Mods folder.
  • Options
    DJMeTooDJMeToo Posts: 1
    edited December 2009
    Have had 3 CTF crashes since installing the upload. How aggravating.
  • Options
    SlangeveldSlangeveld Posts: 11
    edited December 2009
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited December 2009
    The only issue I have is that my icons are moving left again after I've played the game.
    It's annoying (especially since the previous patch fixed it), but hardly game breaking... :wink:
  • Options
    Burse_NikkiBurse_Nikki Posts: 21 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I just installed the latest patch this morning.

BIG MISTAKE

I am now getting the disk authorization error (unable to verify that my disk is a valid copy). I can't even play the game.

Any ideas on how to, you know, actually play the game I purchased, would be appreciated.

Very disappointed with this game.
  • Options
    wcoastgirlwcoastgirl Posts: 2 New Member
    edited December 2009
    First post I've ever made. Somehow I have managed to work around all the other problems. However, now my game will not save. Have taken out all CC (except store purchases). Before 1.8 update I was stuck trying to marry my sims, now I can marry but can't save. Don't know if the patch fixed all the other issues because there's really no point in playing if you can't save. The game crashes to the desktop. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    This is the first Sims game I have every played would be awesome if I could just play it. I do not have WA--haven't seen the need when the base game won't even work properly. :(

Here are my specs:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.30f1
    Serial Number (system): QP8520E40KM
    Hardware UUID: F7ACBE54-97B2-5CC3-AB49-F18C43F9745A
  • Options
    DataWizardDataWizard Posts: 35 New Member
    edited December 2009
    As with KarinL, my icons move to the left as well, however I have an aditional problem, it would appear as if the Custom Music Favorite to French glitch isn't actually fixed in the Mac version, so after discovering this I had to roll back my save to the legacy version. Luckily I only lost about an hour of progress, nothing compared to the days I've put into this save.

I rolled it back not because it was broken, but because I feared the Custom to French glitch may be permanent and I'm the kind of perfectionist that would be bothered by that alot. :P

So what I'm going to do is just not touch it till the next patch that fixes these issues and adds in the In Game Store and then I should be able to have it convert my legacy file again (this time without converting Music Favorites Incorrectly) and then everything should be great and perfect again. =D
    [^ Obvious Sarcasm on the Great and Perfect part.]
  • Options
    AquaticaAquatica Posts: 110 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Another crash. More frustration. I really want an answer. This is so ridiculous. First they tell me my game won't work because of that whole fiasco, and they never bothered to ask any questions to help evaluate the situation. Now they put out the patch that causes a bunch of crashes when the game tries to load anything. A move, a purchase of a vacation home. ANYTHING somewhat big and it crashes completely. This is getting really stupid. I think EA honestly doesn't give a darn about Mac people, hence the denial of the world creation tool to us, even though it really is not all that hard to make a Mac equivalent. They let the game come out for Win and Mac at the same time, why not the new awesome tool? Because they just don't like us because we don't represent enough to them. We're not as large a group as the Windows folk. Whenever Windows people have issues, they get right on solving them. Right away, because people will start gathering and getting angry. There's enough of them to block out the sun, so why not answer their problems first? Stupid EA, I swear. They really are starting to tick me off so much that I'm considering giving up the Sims all together. They don't have any help for ANYONE using a Mac. None of the phone techs can answer anything Mac because all they have is "basic training" in Mac, while they possess fluency in Windows issues. Nobody really gives a darn about us, so, forget buying the new games. This is getting so useless and idiotic. If I don't start getting treated like I exist, EA can forget me ever purchasing a game again.
  • Options
    skiptharockskiptharock Posts: 103 New Member
    edited December 2009

I installed the latest patch today.

My sims went to go fishing, one sim could fish, the other could not, the menu for fishing would not come up for the wife, but would for the husband. I have no idea why.

I just saved and quit the game.

I just feel too disheartened to go back and try again.

I guess all the problems are adding up for me. I never would have minded much something like this before. So maybe it is me getting too disheartened. That I do, sometimes.

I have played with my characters being bald and lately the patches help somewhat with that, it's a bit better, but not all the way fixed.

Other graphics don't show up. Maybe it's my graphics card. I don't know.

I have a brand new mini mac and 2 gigs of ram.

So I feel disappointed.

I spent a lot of money on the game and also bought things at the store. But like the person who posted before me, I don't really feel appreciated or feel that EA knows I exist.

So it's a bit disheartening.

Maybe it's me, right before the holidays.

I don't know.

I'm bummed.
  • Options
    skiptharockskiptharock Posts: 103 New Member
    edited December 2009

p.s. under graphics for this mac it says

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950
    Type: Display
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device ID: 0x27a2
    Revision ID: 0x0003
    Displays:
    W2234:
    Resolution: 1280 x 960 @ 60 Hz
    Depth: 32-Bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Rotation: Supported

for my computer ....... is this the proper graphics card?
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited December 2009
    I am now getting the disk authorization error (unable to verify that my disk is a valid copy). I can't even play the game.

Any ideas on how to, you know, actually play the game I purchased, would be appreciated.

I've had this issue since Day 01, with my base game disk.

There are three things you can do:

1. take out your disk and make sure it's clean and not scratched
    2. try, try, try, try again - it sometimes takes me four or five times...
    3. restart your computer and try again

It's annoying, but it seems as if the game just doesn't work well with the dvd drive of some Macs.

In fact, this issue is what prompted me to change my avatar to the one I have now - to reflect the fact that I have to try and re-try to start the game until I'm blue in the face... :P

My record is 12 times - nowadays if it doesn't work in five, I restart the computer and that usually solves the issue.

• Options
    JazzypooJazzypoo Posts: 325 Member
    edited December 2009
    @burse_nikki-- did you try starting the game from the executable file? there's instructions on how to do it for macs somewhere, i found it on MATY in a forum about bypassing the launcher
  • Options
    myaleighmyaleigh Posts: 4 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I tried to install the latest patch and every time after it goes through the motions of installing it tells me to re-install.

I'm new to the Mac so is there a step I'm missing with installing updates?
  • Options
    AquaticaAquatica Posts: 110 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Alright, this is more than enough. I had a crash before when trying to move my sim out of my current household and put her in a new house, while keeping the same active household. Now, every time I try to move ANY sim out of that house, my game ends up freezing and requiring a force quit. I have tried moving him into a house, moving him into a tiny house, just kicking him out, and the split up household option through editing the town. NONE of these have worked, every time it gets to "processing", and then it just keeps processing and processing and nothing happens. When I attempted to kick him out, it showed a pop-up that said his belongings had been put in another sim's inventory, but that was as far as it got. It never stopped processing. WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THIS FREAKING PATCH?! Seriously?! I moved out one of their sons two days before the patch, AND I bought him and his wife and new son a nice house. But now ever since the patch, NONE of my sims can move out! I even had issues when I loaded my family while they were on vacation. The two sons who were not on the trip were shown as infants in their display photos, even though they are both young adults.

EA & THE SIMS TEAM:
    FIX THIS STUFF, RIGHT NOW. Seriously. I cannot keep all of their children in this house, it just won't work. No how, no way. I love this sim family, and they are very fun to play, but with new triplets, two YA kids, and the parents alone, that is more than enough for me to handle. It's about time these kids move out, and ever since this terrible patch, I can't load ANYTHING serious. Anything that requires a "processing" sequence ends in a total freeze for me. Every time, the music (If there is supposed to be music) continues playing, the graphics and the processing bar keep moving like they should, but it sits and sits forever. Doing nothing. I gave it 6 minutes once, and it still did nothing. I removed all the mods I had, now all that is left is some custom content. Such as, houses, I think maybe two hairstyles, and that's it. 99% of it is from this website's exchange. Computer is brand new, and as I said, I have had NO ISSUES like this before the patch.
    ANSWERS. Right now. I'm so fed up with their lack of responses to everything. They did this when the download of WA came out. Told us our problems would be "fixed soon", and left us hanging forever. They just don't give a darn anymore. Why should they? They're rich, they don't need us anymore. No sense in keeping us happy. Especially not the Mac group. :/ This is stupidly disappointing. Talk about terrible business. You wonder why America is terrible- it's big businesses like this, ignoring the consumer, just looking for the money involved in sending out a game that SHOULD NOT HAVE THESE KINDS OF GLITCHES AND PROBLEMS, and then putting out patches that CAUSE MORE GLITCHES. What the heck is the point of hiring and paying tons of people to INSPECT the game play and CHECK FOR PROBLEMS?! There is none, not when they don't catch any issues that happen to exist somehow still, after all those people checking the game. Honestly, people..ugh.
  • Options
    UnaaUnaa Posts: 15 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Im downloading the newest patch adn im nervous! hope the age reset will be fixed..

and the food spoil thing.
  • Options
    Ingrid84Ingrid84 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I am running version 2.3.33.003001. It fixed the aging bug (age reset after travel) and fridge bug (leftovers going bad too quickly). BUT, the game is incredibly slow and sluggish. This just seems to be getting worse with every update, and it doesn't seem to matter what I have the graphics settings on. With a family of 4 sims, time basically slows to a halt. I have to wait at least a minute after loading a house/location for all of the objects to fully load, sometimes pausing the game until everything shows up, otherwise my sims are non-responsive. I've also had the game freeze while on vacation in Egypt. I've tried running the game with the graphics settings on low and it doesn't really make a difference, so I'm not sure what else I can change. I have a MacBook Pro with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics card.
  • Options
    mercifullynewmercifullynew Posts: 103 Member
    edited December 2009
    So far so good with all the new patch-stuff, but the problem I had getting stuck in a move was not fixed. UGH.

(I'm playing the base game with the 1.8 update)
  • Options
    julianadornelesjulianadorneles Posts: 12
    edited December 2009
    I'm facing the same problem in my Mac.. Where is the Store within the game?!
    I'm on a Mac, and the main issue I've noticed in my game since updating (the only issue really) is that when I go into Buy Mode there's no button to access the in-game Sim Store. I've seen screenshots of where it SHOULD be, and it is most definitely NOT there in my game.
  • Options
    edenbeauty1edenbeauty1 Posts: 11
    edited December 2009
    I'm on a Mac also. After I installed the patch, the game keeps crashing when I go into CAS. So I can't create any sims anymore. I also don't see the Store icon from Shop mode. Unfortunately, I uninstalled and reinstalled everything because I thought maybe my CC content had corrupted something. But it's the new patch, I guess.
  • Options
    Calico_TigerCalico_Tiger Posts: 100 Member
    edited December 2009
    I was thrilled when WA fixed the hair cc balding issue. The fridge thing was annoying, but there were workarounds when you remembered to use them.

But this latest patch that added in the store (that we didn't even actually get for the Mac), has caused a ton of instability :( I get crashes to desktop several times a day (two of which actually popped up nasty long error reports that got sent to apple). And it's been crashing quite often in the middle of a save.

Thankfully, this kind of thing in other games has me trained to save in alternate spots all the time anyhow, so I haven't lost anything vital. But it's still really annoying :?

I never got this kind of instability with the game before this patch. Despite people saying they've had this problem the entire time, my game was fine. Was stable. I could play for days straight (leaving it on and paused while I sleep and eat) with no problems.

Now I can't play for 20+ minutes without risking a CTD :x
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited December 2009
    simfanxx wrote:
    Almost all of my installed content will not show up in game.

I had to reinstall all of my content as well (fortunately it was all still in the downloads folder).

My main problem is that my school has disappeared, and when I check the kids to see what grade they've got, it says there is no school in town for them to attend! I also don't have the in-game Store mode -- maybe that's just something else that's for the PC folks only. :x
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited December 2009

p.s. under graphics for this mac it says

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950
    Type: Display
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device ID: 0x27a2
    Revision ID: 0x0003
    Displays:
    W2234:
    Resolution: 1280 x 960 @ 60 Hz
    Depth: 32-Bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Rotation: Supported

for my computer ....... is this the proper graphics card?

I don't think Sims 3 supports the Intel GMA 950 graphics chip -- you need an actual graphics card, either an ATI or Nvidia (though I think there's been some issues with some of the Nvidia chips).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    wowbeckyywowbeckyy Posts: 20 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Any simpak downloads from the sims 3 site or elsewhere... still dont show up in my game. :[
  • Options
    docwhatdocwhat Posts: 10 New Member
    edited December 2009
    This may help... I had an inability to use CC until I ran this.

What it does: it removes the cache files from sims 3.

This will slow down sims for a little, until the caches are rebuilt by visiting new places.
    #!/bin/bash

set -x

rm "$HOME/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/simCompositorCache.package"
    rm "$HOME/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/compositorCache.package"
    rm "$HOME/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/CASPartCache.package"
    rm "$HOME/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/scriptCache.package"

# EOF

It is a shell script. You can save this to a file and run it via the shell, or if you want you can just open a terminal and run the "rm" commands manually.