Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

There's a huge...crack...in my basement.

shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member

So, have you guys had big basements on community lots and have a huge crevice appearing?? I clicking on it in buy mode etc, but nope, nothing.
I've never seen this before. Is it just, messed up leveling on the ground or something? Mind you it's in the basement, not ground floor. Or a part of the game??

I included a picture, I hope it gets posted. Thoughts?

xnac55i.jpg

Comments

• SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    That's... weird. And slightly terrifying. I've never seen that. Wouldn't that be a funny feature tho? Sims houses that settle. lol That architect career would really come in handy then, wouldn't it?
  • shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    Yeah, it's so bizarre. I've never ever seen this and well, I've got quite a few hours on this game, like most of us, haha.
    (btw you can open the pic in a new tab and it will enlarge)... strange!
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I actually think that is awesome picture and if you figure out how it happened let me know. It would go great in some of my stories. :smiley:
    Haha! Thanks! It's a sort of "abandonded school" lot! I had quite fun making it. Sadly the lot is a bit "bugged" in that when I go into map-view, the building wont show for some reason. But it still works, doesnt crash or lag or anything. When I'm in the actual game, it shows up. but zooming in from map view, it looks empty. Oh well! It's still so strange!! I don't even think I have any fog emitter/effects in place. Just a huge amount of stuff cluttered around to make it look closed off. I wonder if there's something about size vs objects. Idk
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    That actually is creepily cool! And hearing you say you and it an abandoned school makes it even more creepy <3 Really fits the atmosphere.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I have some guesses as to how that might have happened, but they aren't really fact based. My question is, though, can sims route past the apparent breaks as if they aren't there?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    I have some guesses as to how that might have happened, but they aren't really fact based. My question is, though, can sims route past the apparent breaks as if they aren't there?

You know, I'm not sure! Back when I took that screenshot, I had them wander around with no routing issues as far as I can remember. (I know for a fact they didn't atleast get stuck so that I had to reset them or anything) but I didn't think to test it for routing issues, haha. I just noticed it by accident while taking pics!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2020
    To fix the Map View issue, try using testingcheatsenabled and a shift-click to enter Build/Buy without reverting to Edit Town and place or remove something trivial like a floor tile or a rock on the exterior of the lot (not terrain paint, it has to be an actual object). That is usually enough to coax the low resolution/far away view into updating itself.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    To fix the Map View issue, try using testingcheatsenabled and a shift-click to enter Build/Buy without reverting to Edit Town and place or remove something trivial like a floor tile or a rock on the exterior of the lot. That is usually enough to coax the low resolution/far away view to update itself.

Thanks! I will try! I believe I've had this issues many maaany moons ago in like riverview or something.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    I've never seen exactly that issue before, but I have had occasional problems with uneven basement floors due to extending a basement without starting from a part of the existing basement. If the ground above isn't exactly level and you start a fresh basement up against an existing basement from uneven ground above the basement can become uneven. But I've never seen that long crack appear. It could be a shadow cast by lighting that lets you see where the floor changes level. So it might be a combination of a section of not quite level floor and the position of the lights to cause a shadow to be cast along the line where it changes level. Otherwise I have no idea. If my guess is correct then sims should be able to walk across it but you will get uneven floor warnings when trying to place an object on any square containing that line.
    Interesting! It's been a while since i actually built this, so I don't remember - but normally I make a just a huge portion of the basement. Especially since I knew i was going to need a lot, it would be strange if I expanded after making one portion - but def not impossible of course. I will try moving an objects of there next time I play!
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    I´ve never seen this, but as you said that you´ve downloaded it somewhere: did the lot come with CC? Perhaps it is a deco item? Can you uplift it?
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Try copying the flooring from the rest of the floor to that part. I've never seen quite so much of a divide before, but I have seen it to a lesser degree if the tile on one part is rotated 90 degrees from the rest of the floor. You can see to the right, just past the wall, above where the crack is, where it looks like the whole section is slightly higher than the rest. That is what I normally see when that part of the floor is running in a different direction than the rest.
    AlexaKry wrote: »
    I´ve never seen this, but as you said that you´ve downloaded it somewhere: did the lot come with CC? Perhaps it is a deco item? Can you uplift it?

I didn't download the lot, I made it. I did however download the world it was built in, but I built on an empty lot.

IreneSwift: Good eye! I will go into the lot and take more screenshots and poke around.
    edited February 2020
    Ok, so here's an update with pictures. I went back to the lot (ps: it worked to just move around an objects and now the lot shows up in map view!)

So my Sim can walk over it no problem.

vaFAaRw.jpg

fF6VJcq.jpg

Doing anything with the tiles, doesn't seem to affect anything.

ARqJuVa.jpg

I could also place furniture anywhere in the surrounding areas.

(imgur was being fussy so I didn't get any more pics than these two uploaded)

F5Ude1n.jpg

k1wsaOq.jpg

But this is when it got interesting.

I realized that I had.... trees being placed randomly in like, limbo?? Like, just floating around between the ground floor and the basement.
    What's even weirder was that when I moved the trees/shrubs.....either they came rolling back down OR there were more of them. I dont know!

I know 100% that I never place trees until I'm finished with the lot, so I don't understand how they could have gotten there if I placed trees (on ground level) after finishing the lot. Not impossible that some moveobjects-glitch happened of course, especially since I placed those shrubs there. I want to point out, I never ever use any constrainfloor codes and other building cheats. Only moveobjects.

Anyway, this is what it looked like. I ended up deleting all the trees and placing identical ones, in case it was just bugged out trees.

jWSNbQE.jpg

zJMcMzQ.jpg

2q5E8aL.jpg

These trees look like they were added in CAW though, tbh. I know when I add trees in CAW, and if they don't touch the ground properly, they get that pointy look at the end of the trunk. Rather than being flat. Ya know? I mean, maybe they were in fact added in caw, and pulled down/got lost and when I started making a basement, they came up? But not sure about the shrubs though. Maybe I just added the shrubs because I saw there were similar in the area (which is what I normally do) but... i really don't know.

The crack was still in the floor after removing and adding new trees.

Now, not sure if it's relevant or not, but I realized upon revisiting, that there are TWO basement levels. There is another basement level under this. And yes, I checked that one for cracks but found nothing. And nothing in the ceiling under the cracks either. Or objects that should cause this.

Another interesting bit is that there are train tracks next to this lot. (Put there in caw by the world creator). I wonder if maybe this has anything do to with the train tracks?

• FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited February 2020
    LOL, wow, I would have loved to see them cracks in my grungy/run-down homes! I like the thoughts of the house settling that Surreal mentioned earlier, that would explain it! :D
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    If there is another basement level under that one...perhaps it's the top of a wall in that lower area. I'd try deleting the extra basement if you don't need/want it.
    If there is another basement level under that one...perhaps it's the top of a wall in that lower area. I'd try deleting the extra basement if you don't need/want it.

The basement below it is needed in terms of being a full building with rooms. I've checked the lower basement and I can't find anything that should have caused the cracks. The room underneath that room is just that, a room. Nothing clipping into the ceiling/floors above etc.

I mean, the cracks aren't unwanted in the sense that I desperatly want them gone. I just really wish I knew why they are there, lol.
    That tree problem first started in my game when Lucky Palms was first released by the store. It is extremely annoying. I have to strategise where I'm going to place build mode plants and other things. For example having the skating rink indoors will do the same thing as will the wishing well.

I've discovered the skating rink and wishing well don't sink below the ground floor or the bottom level basement so that's where I have to put them when I build something with basements and upper levels. There are other objects that sink just like the trees in your pics but I don't remember them all.
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    Cheat: constrainfloorelevation false - then try the leveling tool.
    Karritz: Ah wow I didn't know! I've never experienced it as far as I know of at least.

Side note: I was unclear in my previous posts, but what I really ment to say was that the trees looked like they were placed in there in Edit Town rather than CAW.. but possibly not Build mode? I know that when placing trees in Edit Town, they get that pointed tip at the end rather than looking good like in Build mode on a normal lot, and CAW. But perhaps they get that look if they "sink" in build mode? IDK!! hahah
    Karritz: Ah wow I didn't know! I've never experienced it as far as I know of at least.

Side note: I was unclear in my previous posts, but what I really ment to say was that the trees looked like they were placed in there in Edit Town rather than CAW.. but possibly not Build mode? I know that when placing trees in Edit Town, they get that pointed tip at the end rather than looking good like in Build mode on a normal lot, and CAW. But perhaps they get that look if they "sink" in build mode? IDK!! hahah

I don't usually use Edit Town when placing trees. I almost exclusively use Build Mode and that's where I've got all the plants I've had problems with. I don't know that I've had problems with ALL of the trees and plants from build mode but I've had problems with a lot of them and they have that pointy end to the trees.
    Cheat: constrainfloorelevation false - then try the leveling tool.

Be careful using ContrainFloorElevation False as it can result in many things getting buried. Always make sure it is returned to True before returning to Live mode or you might find sims walking in the sky or deep underground. Plus lots of other very unfortunate burials.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    Dang, @shakeninsane City Hall needs to send out a building inspector for that one. :mrgreen: They might be issuing a citation to the guy who laid the foundation. ~smirk~

I’m not really sure what causes that but I’ve seen some gaps in the terrain in some spots in some user -created worlds but I’m presuming you're using an EA world?
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    Dang, @shakeninsane City Hall needs to send out a building inspector for that one. :mrgreen: They might be issuing a citation to the guy who laid the foundation. ~smirk~

I’m not really sure what causes that but I’ve seen some gaps in the terrain in some spots in some user -created worlds but I’m presuming you're using an EA world?

Nope, not an EA world. a custom world, but the lot was empty and I built the building myself.