Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Time to jump ship? Sims 5 will be suffering from online disease

Comments

• Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited February 2020
    NoirStasis wrote: »
    Let me ask you guys that are opposed to the whole online ordeal. What if the new generation of the game is an online type of deal where you have your own save, but then you have an online type of deal where your able to share and build a world with say a select group of friends, your real household and not random or the online part is just a lobby you can go to and share stuff with other people ( an extension of real

I hate all online gaming, so that still DOES NOT appeal to me. How about an entirely offline game, you know one that DOES NOT use the "games as a service" model what-so-ever.

That’s not where the money is in 2020, unfortunately.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    Let me ask you guys that are opposed to the whole online ordeal. What if the new generation of the game is an online type of deal where you have your own save, but then you have an online type of deal where your able to share and build a world with say a select group of friends, your real household and not random or the online part is just a lobby you can go to and share stuff with other people ( an extension of real

I hate all online gaming, so that still DOES NOT appeal to me. How about an entirely offline game, you know one that DOES NOT use the "games as a service" model what-so-ever.

The problem for EA, though, is that Game-As-Service is dead in the water because as I said, the whole idea with Game-As-Service is that you play a lot, and only one or two games.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I hate the thought of an online sims game but since nothing is concrete and they haven't even announced the sims 5 yet I'm going to hold off judgment. I mean would they make the same mistakes again that they made with other games? Honestly, I'm hoping for a more well-rounded base game this time around with no missing life stages and actual personality with a lot of gameplay. Let's just say that after the sims 4 I have very high expectations for the sims 5 and if I find that it still lacks the charm and creativity of previous sims games I won't be willing to buy it anyways.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member

The problem for EA, though, is that Game-As-Service is dead in the water because as I said, the whole idea with Game-As-Service is that you play a lot, and only one or two games.

Not 100% sure what you mean, but I would venture to guess that a hefty percentage of the Sims community play it exclusively and sink massive hour totals into it. Also, the community has proven to be receptive to a trickle-feed of scheduled content updates.
  • Options
    Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    I mean would they make the same mistakes again that they made with other games?

Yes. Yes they would. At this point the company is so high on the rush of making literally billions off micro transactions alone that it doesn’t matter if it didn’t work before. They’ll try it again and again and again if they think they can make billions more, faithfulness to the franchises be darned. Now what was that quote about the definition of insanity? I think it fits here...
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    At this point I see no reason to believe they were talking about Sims 5. (I also see no reason to think they weren't.) And I have no idea what those features will be. If they are talking about interacting with others in game, I wouldn't be interested. If they are talking about some sort of built in legacy challenge where you play totally on your own but where you get real points and there's an online high score table, well I'd be okay with that. I'd also be okay with being able to send other Simmers gifts to their Sims mailbox or having your Sims have other people's sims as a real penpal when using the penpal system on the computer where you could actually write letters. Maybe a "design the postcard" but it would all be optional with single player options too and you'd never really see the other person's Sim in your game. (Also only a list of people you've friended on Origins Sims or something... )

I'm really not sure yet if I would ever upgrade to Sims 5. I love Sims 4, but didn't like 2 or 3 much. I'm happy to stick with what I love. But if Sims 5 seemed like something I would like I would consider it. (PRobably not right away because the games tend to cost too much upon release). But if this IS talking about Sims 5 and I was interested in the overall game, I'd probably enjoy multiplayer features like I described above, but I would not want to see other Sims walking around or be chatting with them live and have them able to edit my world.

Anyways, at this point it's all speculation and I don't feel informed enough to even try to guess what they are hinting about so I'm not going to complain about or compliment the idea until I am.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

True it is the year of indie development again. So proud of Concerned Ape.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    You guys can feel free to dread this all you want, I don't blame you as I have watched many of my favorite video game franchises go to poopy thanks to stupid decisions to make money, plenty of those franchises were made by EA as well. But as for me, I need to SEE what the multiplayer for this game is going to be like. Because I will either A. See it and think it looks trash and never buy it. Or option B. Find out it's exactly what I want in a Sims multiplayer game, make a crazy household with my friends that's more like a cult than anything, then when people come over all they'll see are a bunch of outrageously skinny or outrageously fat men in bathrobes and colanders on their head chanting "ONE OF US ONE OF US, ALL ARE WELCOME ALL ARE WELCOME, GOOBLE GOBBLE GOOBLE GOBBLE" and see how many players we can make run for the hills. However if EA's going to be ultra-lame and ban people for wanting to have fun outside of "I made a plain Simself of mine marry a plain Sim of my dreams!" then I'm not going for it.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Oh I really hope this doesn't happen. I refuse to play a sims multi-player/online game. I don't want anybody else anywhere near my carefully planned out sim stories.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Let me ask you guys that are opposed to the whole online ordeal. What if the new generation of the game is an online type of deal where you have your own save, but then you have a separate online save where your able to share and build a world with say a select group of friends, your real household and not random online ppl like in second life.

or

The online part is just a lobby you can go to and share stuff with other people ( an update of the gallery in a separate hub world like how Playstation Home was) and that's where the competitive stuff happens and you can opt-in or out.
    Because people cheat the system like how an influencer hacked the Sims 3 store and encouraged others to do it which cost EA millions of lost revenue, CMs get trolled by fans, Jacksonville shooting resulting in death of EA employees and players, a few 🐸🐸🐸🐸 cases in past few years of Simmers, Simmers pirating the main games, Sims 4 online initial plan failing, 5th failed online attempt, toxic giveaway competitions, broken Sims community, toxicity during livestreams, fighting during community packs and patches just to name a few things.

Improved Gallery and search features I wouldn't mind especially I we could upload outfits for challenges.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I loathe they idea of online, but fans are gonna support it anyway. Heck, yall 40 buy half-backed stuff packs with things that shouldve been implemented way before hand, for a game thats still missing key features. why stop paying now
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    bluelightingbluelighting Posts: 704 Member
    just was reading about the upcoming sims 5, something about a vr, sounds simular to headphones, which gives me headaches. the online gaming they tried that with sims 4 and it didnt go. for me, they ever go to online, ill be done playing this game.
  • Options
    doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    if it becomes an online game I am out I don't want an online Sims you don't want an online Sims Paralives is looking like my next sims game.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I cannot stand playing with other people online. The world is full of sore losers! No offence.

I'm winding down on my Sims play anyway. I haven't played since early December and it's been so refreshing to give time to other projects.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    So if this does happen , I don't know how it would work out well. I'm assuming esp and sp would be dead? cant bring that online or multiplayer cause how would you know who has it and who doesn't? Unless you only connect to those who only have packs you have. Or worlds and homes are already premade, and you just pick a world you want to play in. But if no one's there it's a ghost town...I'm also assuming things like starting your own family wouldn't be a thing cause you have people of all ages playing this game so that would be a bit ackward. Idk I never played sims online and just dont care to.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Let me ask you guys that are opposed to the whole online ordeal. What if the new generation of the game is an online type of deal where you have your own save, but then you have a separate online save where your able to share and build a world with say a select group of friends, your real household and not random online ppl like in second life.

or

The online part is just a lobby you can go to and share stuff with other people ( an update of the gallery in a separate hub world like how Playstation Home was) and that's where the competitive stuff happens and you can opt-in or out.
    Because people cheat the system like how an influencer hacked the Sims 3 store and encouraged others to do it which cost EA millions of lost revenue, CMs get trolled by fans, Jacksonville shooting resulting in death of EA employees and players, a few plum cases in past few years of Simmers, Simmers pirating the main games, Sims 4 online initial plan failing, 5th failed online attempt, toxic giveaway competitions, broken Sims community, toxicity during livestreams, fighting during community packs and patches just to name a few things.

Improved Gallery and search features I wouldn't mind especially I we could upload outfits for challenges.

I get what your saying, but there are always going to be people who cheat on any game or in life in general. The thing is we would have to see how EA is going to handle the cheaters and how well they will monitor everything; maybe they will change or maybe they will get worse, but we would have to see. I at least want to see what they are bringing to the table before I say I'm in or out.
  • Options
    NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member

I get it online gaming is not everyone's cup of tea, but just wait and see at least, they might scrap it down the road if it's even an idea they're going with in the first place; nothing is set in stone.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    The only online multiplayer communities I ever enjoyed were Final Fantasy XIV and Disney's Toontown back when I was a kid.
    Majority of them are toxic and difficult to accomplish anything in.

I really hope by "multiplayer" they mean you can invite friends into your worlds or etc and it's completely optional
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I agree. If The Sims 5 really does end up being a multiplayer game with any of the features the OP mentioned, I will be sticking with the Sims 4, and maybe even purchasing the Sims 3.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Not jumping anywhere just yet, since nothing's been released or 100% confirmed but .. if they do go online - and it wouldn't surprise anyone at this point that they'd rather listen to themselves than fans who've been with the games for 20 years - I sincerely hope it fails. And fails hard. So hard that they get it this time - while another competitor gets to reap the rewards. Sure, they might be able to do it well, but I've got no hopes for that, and learning it's a serious possibility has really put me off. We'll see I guess when we get there?
  • Options
    JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    Online without goals would just be a glorified chat room. Goals kill sand box. Not interested at all.
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »

or

Because people cheat the system like how an influencer hacked the Sims 3 store and encouraged others to do it which cost EA millions of lost revenue, CMs get trolled by fans, Jacksonville shooting resulting in death of EA employees and players, a few plum cases in past few years of Simmers, Simmers pirating the main games, Sims 4 online initial plan failing, 5th failed online attempt, toxic giveaway competitions, broken Sims community, toxicity during livestreams, fighting during community packs and patches just to name a few things.

I get what your saying, but there are always going to be people who cheat on any game or in life in general. The thing is we would have to see how EA is going to handle the cheaters and how well they will monitor everything; maybe they will change or maybe they will get worse, but we would have to see. I at least want to see what they are bringing to the table before I say I'm in or out.
    Thing is they usually don't and when they do Simmers tell the community they need to be fired. I mean sure they got removed from the influencer but SimGuruDrake and SimGuruKate got the repercussions for it both times from the same site. So do you really want to play with people who send death threats and cheat the system without consequences that keep attacking our CMs? I don't.