Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you use to fertilize the plants?

Just curious, what do you usually use to fertilize the plants in your Sim's garden? Is it wrong that I'm using spices like basil and sage lol ... I just always end up with so much of these spices.

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Same. But the best, obviously, is dog poop.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Really? I didn't even know you could use that lol

I'm not sure I can do it. They look so stinky and with those flies buzzing all around. Besides, usually, some random person will walk by and step in it before I can clean it up :smirk:

• x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    The poop.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited February 2020
    Before the gardening update that came just before Seasons came out, the best fertilizer was any large fish, with sturgeon being the best. After the update, the best was Growfruit. Since a more recent patch, now the best fertilizer is any plant or fish worth 50 simoleans. There is three levels of fertilizer actually all based on price now instead of weight.

The first level is 10 simoleans, second is 20, and the third and best is 50. If you use any plant or fish above 50 simoleans, it's a waste of simoleans because it won't be any better than the 50 simolean plant or fish.

In light of all that, I use snapdragons, roses, chrysanthemums and Bird of Paradise plants for fertilizer. I stop using the BOP though once it begins to evolve above 50 simoleons. The base level price for those is I believe around 51 or 52. If you'd like more indepth information about gardening, I suggest watching a video on YT made by Carl of Carl's Sims 4 Guide website. Here's a link:

https://youtu.be/ILvfESrdLd4

This video is where I got the above information. Actually Carl's entire site is a must to visit for anyone new or even experienced with TS4. He provides a treasure trove of valuable information about the game. Hope this helps! :)
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I use whatever fruit/veggy/fish i have in the inventory.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited February 2020
    I always use mushrooms unless my Sim does fishing, then I use fish. I also use dog poop if possible, but mushrooms are just so easy. I always plant one mushroom and I never sell them, I harvest them for fertilizing other plants.

• Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    I use the bird of paradise that my sims get from the romance festival flowers. I plant a couple of them outdoors and then a few indoors and I usually fertilize them with themselves until they are a little bit higher than halfway. Once they hit that then I will start using them to fertilize my other plants. In no time my plants are Perfect quality and Im making some good money off them.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Nothing
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Bees. You can fertilize on top of using bees, but why bother?
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I always use fish.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    I actually grab my perfects from a dedicated farm in San Myshuno (and they get theirs by grafting onto perfect carrots). If for some reason one of my sims doesn't have access to the farm I use Growfruit, because I wasn't aware of the new 10/20/50 rule. Thank you @Karababy52 for this info!

Dog poop isn't working for me anymore since november. Might be a mod conflict if nobody else has that problem.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    @EnkiSchmidt You're welcome! Unfortunately, I believe the use of dog poop for fertilizer was nerfed with the recent patch that updated gardening once again with the new 10/20/50 rule and faster grafting results. I've read of others that have noticed the same thing here on the forum and on other websites.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Yes, you can no longer use dog poop as fertiliser. Well, it doesn't disappear from the inventory anyway. That bug still exists along with the whims in transit bug.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I like to use growfruit. I also liked to use dogpoop but that doesn't really work now for me for some reason.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I also follow Carl's guide, and tend to use roses as my fertilizer. It can grow in large quantities and if you run out you can buy more using a sim's phone. I also use bees as well as the fertilizer. I am sad that the Growfruit effect (which was really powerful in the past) no longer works, and neither does dog poop, which should be a very high level fertilizer.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I've found fresh fish over 50 simoleons, growfruit (higher quality) and dragonfruit (any quality) to be effective. You'll be waiting a long time to evolve your plants to 'perfect' if you use anything else, especially as you get to the 'excellent' and 'magnificent' stages.

Note that, per Carl's guide, the fish must be fresh - it will still be worth over 50, even if it's rancid, but it doesn't do much as fertiliser. You can store them in the big fish tanks to keep them fresh forever, or in the fridge for several days.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Slightly off topic, but if you aren't averse to a more industrial approach, what I did on my farm was this: Plant normal quality, harvest, analyze harvest at the GTW analyzer station until you get produce one grade better. Plant this, rinse, repeat. I got to perfect plants this way much faster than by fertilizing and evolving. But then again, that farm is owned by a large company who wants to churn out profits. An everyman sim probably won't put a chemical analyzer into their kitchen ;)
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    @Karababy52 Thank you for sharing the video!
  • aujinehaujineh Posts: 454 Member
    The trash fruit works great too!
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.