Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is World Adventures worth buying?

I'm inclined to invest a bit more in Sims 3. WA sounds good with the idea of having a vacation home, nectar making, photography... Let me know: is World Adventures worth buying?

Is World Adventures worth buying? 83 votes

Yes
98%
nickibitswardEmily4331carlystur03Rflong7jaletu2005Jessa_DakkarCamkatGraceyManorsam123Amphorailovejewel17ParyJessabeansalanmichael1tallcooloneMikezumihannekemuffinemorrillJoAnne65Javi182 82 votes
No
1%
Simtown15 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes
    In my case, definitely yes. I have done countless vacations, mostly to Shang Simla, which is just beautiful in this game. This, ironically, means that I don't even consider the nectar making or the photography in my decision. Photography just clogs up the savegame, which is why I avoid it. I have yet to try nectar making. Martial arts are quite fun, and the time in your vacation home is a time away from your daily chores, which can be particularly busy for children and teens. It's also a time out of time, as your world at home is frozen while you are gone, and such is aging. I also like the "tomb raiding" part, at least as long as it doesn't devolve into a complete trap fest.

Keep in mind though that you should have the appropriate NRaas mods (here, aside from the general bug catchers, mostly Traveler) in place, otherwise you will probably experience all kinds of bugs during transitions, like lost inventory items, stuck pregnancies, sometimes lost sims, etc.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes
    Thank you for your advice @Turjan ! I will def have to look at this Nraas mod. At the moment i have Generations, Seasons and Night Life and i don't feel the need of any mods. But ive heard a lot about this mod and i will check it.
    Post edited by texxx78 on
  • Options
    ingridmfingridmf Posts: 67 Member
    Yes
    Definitely yes.

Although Photography isn't my cup of tea either, I absolutely love nectar making; It's super fun and a relatively easy way to make money (over generations if your lifespan isn't that long, like mine). Of course, the destinations are beautiful and I love the exploring. Although I'm guessing fun is over once you've raided all the tombs but that's not the case for me yet so it's still exciting stuff. And last but not least, martial arts is bomb af!
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Yes
    Yes!!! World Adventures is one of the best expansions.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    SqueemotasticSqueemotastic Posts: 25 Member
    Yes
    WA is my absolute favorite expansion pack! I play without mods and have experienced no issues with glitches here (unlike ambitions!) The tombs are just challenging enough and new items/fish/clothing etc are a great additions to your home world. All of my sims now have koi ponds at home!
  • Options
    carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 435 Member
    Yes
    I love that expansion! I love traveling to all 3 worlds! There are several cool things you can get as you do the adventures using what are called ancient coins. :)
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,284 Member
    Yes
    I voted yes for this as well... :)

I love sending my Sims to the different worlds in this EP even if I don't have them do the quests on the quest board. I've sent my Sims there for their honeymoon after they gotten married. And even if I don't go to the worlds in some of my game plays, I love using the items from the EP such as the nectar making machine, the fortune cookie machine... :)
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Yes
    Absolutely! (But then, I admit I think all the packs are worth buying, lol.)

The main feature of WA is the adventure quests and dungeon/tomb exploration, but even if you don’t utilize that aspect often, it’s still fun to visit the beautiful worlds (China is especially gorgeous, imo).

Like others have mentioned, nectar-making and martial arts are great skills. More harvestable plants and recipes were added with WA, along with additional collectibles and the ability to transfigure various gems and metals. There are tons of build/buy objects too—from regular and themed furnishings and décor to special items like tents, treasure chests, snake charming baskets, fortune cookie makers, incense burners and the Eyes of Horus.

I would also highly recommend the NRaas Traveler mod (along with Overwatch and ErrorTrap) to keep travel transitions smooth and avoid/correct errors. Traveler additionally allows you to travel with other age stages and states that the EA travel system does not (e.g., toddlers, pregnant Sims, pets), allows travelling with members of other households and you can pause the travel countdown clock so you can stay in the vacation world longer if you wish. This works not only with the 3 WA travel worlds but also with the other pack, Store or custom worlds you have installed.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Yes
    I like it for what it adds to the game. I can make tombs in the regular hoods and nectaries, too. :)
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    Yes
    The Martial Arts sold it for me as well as three different vacation worlds. One of these days I’ll figure out photography in the Sims 3. Between all that and the fact that you can go exploring tombs which I must confess doesn’t interest me in the slightest, it’s more than worth getting.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Yes
    Besides having three beautiful destinations to visit, WA also comes with some very useful objects which expand options for playing. The tents can be used to take your Sims on camping trips in any world (or, in your own back yard). I personally love the shower-in-a-can which makes maintaining hygiene the speediest in the game (all my athletes keep a couple of cans in their gym bags). The option to invite those you befriend on your travels to come visit you in your home world is also a nice thing. There's a good amount of new produce to harvest, fish to catch and collectables to find. All I can say is there's just a lot of fun built into this pack.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes
    Thanks to all of you for your advice. I got it!! I went with my elder sims to france: we made one adventure, learned new recipes, bought the nectar machine, a couple of expensive nectar, put the hotel kitchen on fire haha so much fun!!
    Post edited by texxx78 on
  • Options
    BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member
    Yes
    Yes, my favorite parts of this expansion are the Martial Arts, tomb exploration, and the tiberium gem. Photography isn't really that fun, but I do like nectar making, although I don't use it as much as I should. Only thing I don't like is the fact you have to wait two days after a trip but that can easily be taken care of with cheats or lifetime rewards.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Yes
    Not sure I've seen such an enthusiastic and (thus far) unanimous result on a poll on this forum before. Now I'm tempted to create one where the question is something like "Do you think we will have weather tomorrow?" just to see what happens. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Yes
    Yes yes and YES!!! One of my favorite expansions because you can play the way you want to. You can go there as a tourist, dress up in the cultural outfits and just enjoy your trip in any of the worlds, take pictures, explore, go to the markets, meet other sims, etc. Or you can go on quests, increase your Visa level and have a lot of fun as an explorer.
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Yes
    @telmarina - Glad you decided to get it. I hope you'll have as much fun with this pack as all of us who have responded here has.

@Igazor - I'll answer your poll. My answer is 'Yes', but only if Seasons is installed. Otherwise, 'No' and that counts for RL as well ;).
  • Options
    KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes
    Another yes from me and I don't even use the actually tomb-raiding bits that much. As many have said both nectar-making and martial arts skills are super fun, as are the CAst items. Lastly, I also recommend getting the Traveler mod, in addition to what others have said it can also turn any town you have saved into a vacation destination, which is super fun. What are you waiting for? You should definitely get it!
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    Yes
    Heck yes!!! I wish I had bought it when it first came out. I was afraid it would be boring like Sims 2 Bon Voyage so I didn't, but once I finally decided to buy it, years later, I couldn't believe what I was missing! I played for HOURS sending my sim to Egypt exploring tombs! Worth it! :smiley:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Not sure I've seen such an enthusiastic and (thus far) unanimous result on a poll on this forum before. Now I'm tempted to create one where the question is something like "Do you think we will have weather tomorrow?" just to see what happens. :)

Laughing because I remember the split decision this pack used to be on the boards. Some people loved it; some hated it. Personally, I love it. To the OP - glad to see you picked it up and are enjoying it.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Yes
    Surreal wrote: »

Laughing because I remember the split decision this pack used to be on the boards. Some people loved it; some hated it. Personally, I love it. To the OP - glad to see you picked it up and are enjoying it.
    Yes, WA was not universally well-received when it was released. This perhaps might not have happened if it had instead followed Ambitions or maybe Late Night in the release schedule. Players were disappointed in the quest scenarios, didn't like having their gameplay directed to them by task/goal oriented scenarios already defined for them even if it always was optional to play through them, and were very concerned that WA was going to set the tone for the rest of the expansions in that regard. That of course didn't happen and I don't think we know if it was ever really the plan for it to happen.

Not choosing WA as the first pack to install now certainly softens that feeling or makes it disappear entirely for players just coming into or rediscovering the game. It's amazing how over ten years of perspective can change things. :)

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Yes
    I've had it since release and have used it often. There are a few bugs that were introduced by patches or later updates but there are ways of getting around them. Sometimes it is necessary to cheat a teleport to get past a broken door or hallway (only 2 of them that I know of).

I have a whole playlist almost devoted to this expansion. It still has a few episodes to do before it's finished. I made my sims collect every tomb collection object in each of the three worlds. They have only 2 still to get and they are in France.

There are a lot of very useful items introduced to assist with tomb raiding such as shower in a can. The Eyes of Horus are also useful if you can find them. Plus tents and some nice recipes and martial arts and photography. Lots of things that can be used in general play.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited February 2020
    Yes
    I have 90-95%of my different saves going there. Even if you don't want to do the adventures, there are stores, new books, new cooking dishes to make, new clothes, build buy can be used anywhere, new skills, new songs to learn, new traits, new CAS, and loads of new people to meet. You can also use them as vacation only. I enjoy having my Sims go there and sell what I don't want to keep when they return. It's one of my most used packs. It also has new CAS eyes ECT for China.
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited February 2020
    Yes, WA was not universally well-received when it was released. This perhaps might not have happened if it had instead followed Ambitions or maybe Late Night in the release schedule. Players were disappointed in the quest scenarios, didn't like having their gameplay directed to them by task/goal oriented scenarios already defined for them even if it always was optional to play through them, and were very concerned that WA was going to set the tone for the rest of the expansions in that regard. That of course didn't happen and I don't think we know if it was ever really the plan for it to happen.

Man, what a mess that was! lol
    Not choosing WA as the first pack to install now certainly softens that feeling or makes it disappear entirely for players just coming into or rediscovering the game. It's amazing how over ten years of perspective can change things. :)

Ain't that the truth. Perspective is everything.

• Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Yes

Since I play on normal life span I don't always have enough time for my sims to accomplish everything I want them to so I use the time away from time of WA and UL to level skills, build wealth, acquire 25 acquaintances, write books, etc. With WA I sometime have my sims do the quests, especially if I want them to have a vacation home at one of the destinations.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited February 2020
    Yes
    Absolutely, it's a ton of fun :) Very meaty pack with three beautiful destinations, and the exploration - for a sims game - is actually really well executed.