Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gameplay Discussion: What does Knitting in The Sims mean to YOU?

Comments

• vincentvega8899vincentvega8899 Posts: 103 Member
    It means I’m going to watch my sim knit something..... it’s truly a organic experience I must say!
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Personally I am not into knitting I think it is boring I only wear knitted gloves in real life if that. I wish EA would create something totally unique but they don't seem to have the creativeness nor do the Sim players who want this nonsense.
  • Pinmat135Pinmat135 Posts: 346 Member
    @vincentvega8899 @candy8 I understand that you don't like the idea of a Knitting stuff pack, but PLEASE stop taking out your anger on the community and EA. Just because you think knitting is boring doesn't mean that there aren't Simmers who think that it's amazing. If you don't like it, then just don't buy it and don't say anything.
  • TheGreatMeeperTheGreatMeeper Posts: 1 New Member
    More memories than I can count contain knitting. My mother has knit consistently for the last twenty years. She'd been taught by her mother, but neither had been a dedicated knitter. But then just as Grandma was half way through an extremely large blanket, she was gone & mom took it up and she never quite stepped knitting.

To be fair, knitting is the best. Its the one hobby you can do while holding a conversation: you can give the person your near undivided attention & no one ever feels neglected if you knit while talking to them. It's also pretty cheap & produces a backlog of clothes, bedding & more, that you can use or give out as gifts.
  • vincentvega8899vincentvega8899 Posts: 103 Member
    Pinmat135 wrote: »
    @vincentvega8899 @candy8 I understand that you don't like the idea of a Knitting stuff pack, but PLEASE stop taking out your anger on the community and EA. Just because you think knitting is boring doesn't mean that there aren't Simmers who think that it's amazing. If you don't like it, then just don't buy it and don't say anything.

That wasn’t sarcasm. That was genuine. Knitting’s a sense of comfort.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I would like there to be a knitting aspiration please
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    and autonomous knitting if possible
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Pupplylover2883Pupplylover2883 Posts: 25 Member
    A LOOM!!!
  • mamaloesmamaloes Posts: 2 New Member
    Where is the crochet ? I want also that we can crochet not only knitting :-)
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member

While I will agree with you about not buying it, (as I will not), but telling a person not to say something when they don't like something is wrong. If a person doesn't like something they have every right to say it no matter how many are looking forward to it.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member

While I will agree with you about not buying it, (as I will not), but telling a person not to say something when they don't like something is wrong. If a person doesn't like something they have every right to say it no matter how many are looking forward to it.

While you're right to a point... This is a gameplay suggestion thread. Coming in and saying that it's boring doesn't actually help the purpose of the thread - to figure out what, exactly "knitting" gameplay should be. If the complaints about the pack were actually helpful, then maybe, but the nature of the pack is not going to change at this time, so other than feeling better for letting everyone know how disappointed they are, complaint posts serve no useful purpose in this thread.

Now, there are several designated complaining threads, and a few that aren't designated but have become complaining threads. People who don't like knitting are more than welcome to post there. - and before you say that they should be able to post wherever, be aware that those who like knitting aren't supposed to post in the complaint threads. I'm simply asking for the same courtesy here.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    How did I miss this thread?!

To me, knitting is a self-comforting activity, a soothing one. I'd like to see it able to calm Sims away from extreme moods towards Happy (or Fine).

Also: It's about making things I can't get otherwise... like sweaters or socks that I can't access in CAS for a Sim. And a lot of those end up being made for someone else, so knitting is also about gifting.

Knitting is a skill passed on from from one generation to another... and also one picked up from knitting classes, books, and internet videos, because not everyone is blessed with a knitting elder in their lives.

Knitting is something to do with your hands while you do other things. My (much missed) mother-in-law never watched her baseball without knitting in hand. And she never missed her baseball.

Finally, knitting is for sure a social activity! It really needs to be a club activity, and something Sims can have a conversation while they do.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I miss the Siwashes, Afgans Trows, Ponchoes & knitted slippers.
    These were memories from my childhood.
  • Mr_MuffinTopMr_MuffinTop Posts: 131 Member
    I'd like it to require some work. The need to keep my yarn stocked would be nice, and the ability to unlock new colors. Being able to only buy white yarn until I figure out how to use flowers to dye my yarn blue, then I can start buying blue yarn in the shop.

I guess if it is possible, the ability to knit a tiny version of anything (sort of how I can more or less paint anyone). I can knit/crochet a small doll to look like another sim. I need to get cotton to stuff into the doll once it is made.

It feels like sims should be able to knit/crochet a voodoo doll.

The ability to knit/crochet blankets I can actually use on a bed or as a throw on a chair/couch.

Table cloths, plant pot holders.
  • dvdexedvdexe Posts: 2 New Member
    Personally I think making Knitting a profitable skill would be great, especially if paired with Get to Work retail stores. Someone could even be self-employed and have a Sims equivalent of an Etsy store. A crafting table/space is also good since it'd make sense to have a dedicated space for all your material, but beginners can start out with a knitting box/basket for smaller projects. Different quality materials to make nicer/more powerful moodlet items..

I haven't gotten to the point where I've been able to mentor other Sims, but I'd imagine "teaching other Sims to knit" would build relationship/social need as well as increased skill gain for the mentored Sim. Depending on how well the project is going/their skill level, Sims can relieve tension or get frustrated. Also I think both kids & teens should be able to learn how to knit (based on personal experience lol), though maybe limited to smaller projects.
  • ej_4_simsej_4_sims Posts: 30 Member
    going to be so fun watching my sims knit.....*eye roll* lol
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    Vlad will be knitting in my game for sure. Can't wait. :D
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited February 2020
    I was 5 when my mum was pregnant with my brother. She used to sit on a sofa while she was knitting and watching TV. I used to sit on my kiddie chair and I was pretending to be knitting just like her. This love for knitting has stayed with me. When I was 8 or so my mum taught me to knit. And I knit to this day. Currently I am knitting an infinity scarf for my husband and also one infinity scarf for my 4 year old daughter. I can't wait to teach my daughter how to knit. I already taught my husband, btw. I don't think he remembers though :D

Basically knitting means a heritage for me. And I like to project real life into my game. Teaching others to knitt is a must in my gameplay. I like how teaching others a skill works now so it is prefectly fine for me.

It would be really lovely if our sims could knit and listen to music or even watching a TV at the same time.

Giftgiving is an amazing idea. My great grand mother <3 used to give us socks or slippers that she knitted herself as a christmas present.

Also, I would like to see different types of needles. For example bamboo, wooden, aluminum and plastic with different color variety.

I really really wish every yarn would cost our sims money! It feels like everything is given for free and doesn't need a replace - the bubble thingy you can buy on festivals. And there is more. I just want to be able to spend my sims' simoleons :)
    Post edited by DoloresGrey on
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited February 2020
    I'm going to be lazy and not look back through the comments here to see if it's already been suggested, but is there any way we can add code knitting, or something like that?

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/knitting-spies-wwi-wwii
  • desthesimaholicdesthesimaholic Posts: 4 New Member
    I personally cannot knit to save my life, so I am hoping that there would be an option where the parent can teach the child knitting as a bonding option.
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    Infeel there's one mechanic that would make the knitting pack a best seller: kitten playing with yarnballs!
    Happy simming!
  • LexalooLexaloo Posts: 20 Member
    I want to tie the KNOT in marriage ceremonies between sims if one or both have the knitting skill.
  • Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    To me, it means (hopefully) the return of more "just for fun" items that you can just have your sims use to have fun. No skills being built, no careers being advanced, just "here's a thing, have a ball." Things like the pool table, the pinball tables, the arcade cabinets, dartboard, stuff that you'd actually have in real life.

What I'm saying is "hopefully this leads to a Sims 2: FreeTime expansion for The Sims 4."
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited February 2020
    I would like to see sims be able to knit dolls and stuffed animals, sweaters, booties and hats. I want to see a yarn basket with needles in it ( object you can place on tables, bookshelf etc.) like in the granny set. I also thought the box of yarn in one of the sets was also cute. I would also like to see a rocking chair that can be used and a loom, and if the could add those embroidered things hanging on the wall in the granny set, I would love to see that too,
  • newleafdesignsnewleafdesigns Posts: 1 New Member
    This is the best news ever!! I've been a Sims fan for as long as I can remember, and I love to knit. I'm actually a knitwear designer so knitting is my job :) I'd love for my sims to be able to create blankets and sweaters, and to handknit gifts for loved ones.

I also really like the suggestion of using plants to dye yarn, that's what I do IRL too and it's just so much fun.

Another thing I would love to see, is for the sims to be able to design their own patterns on the computer, kind of like composing their own music when they get better at a music skill, or like writing a book and receiving royalties (or pattern sales in this case) from that.

Ooh and! It would be so great if sims could create knitting tutorial videos with the vlogger desk thing from Get Famous!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top