Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Time to jump ship? Sims 5 will be suffering from online disease

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,565 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Why are y'all taking this 'news' so seriously? LOL.

1. we have explained why.
    2. Have you not paid any attention to what AAA gaming publishers have been doing since 2010? Have you not seen what EA has done since 2010?

Yeah, but I'm not gonna fret about it until it really is confirmed to be true.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited February 2020
    I doubt that it's going to be named The Sims 5, IF only this is even exist.

I would suggest that they're going to extend the existing series by adding in an 'option' which means, another world (for MMO purposes only). I don't think that they will let the current game gameplay changed drastically. There're over 20Mill unique players (The Sims 4) as of now, which I believe majority of us prefer the OG style. More than anything, the reason that they're trying to 'add-in' this feature is just because they want to increase & penetrate the market (which is the reason why that in Feb, the PS Plus Free is going to have TS4 for free to play).

Again, I doubt that they want to ruin this franchise just for the sake of the 'New Generation' play style. The Sims is one of their cash cows & will continuously be the one, if they play the game the right way.

I personally won't limit myself not to try out the 'new feature' because it's interesting to interact with fellow Simmers around the world where we could be a virtual co-worker/neighbours & visiting each other houses ONLY if we want to. And with the FPV, it would make it more interesting to interact & perhaps to 'compete' in terms of building or career wise. Perhaps, it's going to be something new & different from other MMO games that I play, but who knows, I haven't tried it yet.

Hence, I would prefer to have an option instead of being force to play a totally different game. I try not to be negative since it's the beginning of the year, so, I will see, read & trying to understand things in a positive way.
    OID:- x4m1r4
    edited February 2020
    thecatsred wrote: »
    LOL wasn't even thinking about that. The kid friendly version of ...god what was the name of that "game"? Online, where you could not only build homes and pools but well... do... things with each other and or each other?

Second Life?

Yes, that's the one.

At first, I've thought that you're referring to Roblox because it's kid friendly, because I don't think that the Second Life is even a kid friendly game.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited February 2020
    I don't really like multiplayer games, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them a disease lol :# Some of them are okay, like what's that farming game ... Hey Day ... I used to play that. It was nice chatting with people about the chickens while virtual farming. Sometimes you could buy some nice new farm decorations for $6. Very relaxing. I really can't resist online in-app shopping though. I realize I am part of the problem of why every video game company is doing this. I've thrown cash down on my freeplay Sims like it's raining and I have regretted it. It doesn't matter how much entertainment I got out of it, I really need to live according to my monthly budget and I find these types of games put me over my monthly budget for entertainment. Obviously though, some people have more control than me, but I will probably choose not to play the online part if I find tempted to overspend.

I really would never jump ship though. Even though I've told myself if they make an online store for Sims 4 and start selling all the stuff I really want, like bunk beds, sleeping bags, baby clothes, I will go back to Sims 2, maybe even Sims 1, because I like my Sims 4 Sims even better than my Freeplay Sims, and I will just not be able to resist shopping for them. If I was truly honest with myself though, I'd probably spend anyway, and they know it, so the online store is coming I can feel it.. shoe packs for $50 :weary:

That being said, they haven't really said what type of online play it would be. If they make an optional neighborhood, kind of like in Freeplay... In Freeplay, you have to add the person you want to connect with online, and then you go to their world and visit their houses and Sims. And nothing saves, so it doesn't interfere with the game. And also there is no chat, so nothing intrusive or weird about it. I actually really like visiting other freeplay worlds. Or, let's say you could set up a little retail shop in the online neighborhood and sell custom made items, like desserts, clothes that you've made with a color wheel etc., then that would be fun, to go shopping. By shopping, I mean with Simoleans, not real dollars. I would give that a try for sure. Or set up your own retail restaurant and other players could come and dine while you work on the retail business side. Then they could rate you etc. That might be fun. Especially since the NPC customers don't really shop enough in my game. Creative online play that's not like what everyone else is doing and not prompting for constant in-game purchasing I'll have a look at, but if it's too tempting for me to spend I'll just ignore the online part or limit my playtime so I can't overspend, which is going to make it so much less fun, just like what happened to me with Freeplay :'(

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited February 2020
    I wasn't interested when it was supposed to come to the Sims 4, still won't be interested in it with the Sims 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc. EA has horrible reputation with their online servers as it is. I mean if you think Sims 3 or 4 was buggy I have plenty of stories about MMO games. Also have fun playing with 5 year old trolls online with forced communication. Thankfully I can mute them in Overwatch, but Sea of Thieves it is hard to avoid them. Sims community freaked the last time one case of illegal activity happened within it. Multiply that by a hundred minimum and you will get a repeat of Gaiaonline activities. No good will come of this especially with people that freak out if they don't win a giveaway and turn on each other just with that. EA Sports proved that players don't play well together.

On the bright side Paralives will be single player.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »
    I don't really like multiplayer games, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them a disease lol :# Some of them are okay, like what's that farming game ... Hey Day ... I used to play that. It was nice chatting with people about the chickens while virtual farming. Sometimes you could buy some nice new farm decorations for $6. Very relaxing. I really can't resist online in-app shopping though. I realize I am part of the problem of why every video game company is doing this. I've thrown cash down on my freeplay Sims like it's raining and I have regretted it. It doesn't matter how much entertainment I got out of it, I really need to live according to my monthly budget and I find these types of games put me over my monthly budget for entertainment. Obviously though, some people have more control than me, but I will probably choose not to play the online part if I find tempted to overspend.

I really would never jump ship though. Even though I've told myself if they make an online store for Sims 4 and start selling all the stuff I really want, like bunk beds, sleeping bags, baby clothes, I will go back to Sims 2, maybe even Sims 1, because I like my Sims 4 Sims even better than my Freeplay Sims, and I will just not be able to resist shopping for them. If I was truly honest with myself though, I'd probably spend anyway, and they know it, so the online store is coming I can feel it.. shoe packs for $50 :weary:

That being said, they haven't really said what type of online play it would be. If they make an optional neighborhood, kind of like in Freeplay... In Freeplay, you have to add the person you want to connect with online, and then you go to their world and visit their houses and Sims. And nothing saves, so it doesn't interfere with the game. And also there is no chat, so nothing intrusive or weird about it. I actually really like visiting other freeplay worlds. Or, let's say you could set up a little retail shop in the online neighborhood and sell custom made items, like desserts, clothes that you've made with a color wheel etc., then that would be fun, to go shopping. By shopping, I mean with Simoleans, not real dollars. I would give that a try for sure. Or set up your own retail restaurant and other players could come and dine while you work on the retail business side. Then they could rate you etc. That might be fun. Especially since the NPC customers don't really shop enough in my game. Creative online play that's not like what everyone else is doing and not prompting for constant in-game purchasing I'll have a look at, but if it's too tempting for me to spend I'll just ignore the online part or limit my playtime so I can't overspend, which is going to make it so much less fun, just like what happened to me with Freeplay :'(

Stardew Valley and Farm Together and Minecraft are all better farming games than that.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    If the online component were to be something along the lines of what they do in Occupy White Walls, I could see it being really cool. The problem is that anything EA does is severely monetized, and chopped up into tiny microportions that are so limited that you really can't have fun unless you buy all the things.

No matter what it is, or how cool they hype it up to be, it's by EA, which means it will pretty much be DOA. Their audience is pretty much people who will pay anything for hype, and they do have a strong base of people who genuinely seem to enjoy that.

They might call it a game, but I don't think that word will mean what they want us to think it means.
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Well.
    Sims 4 will be my last Sims game.

Nothing good has come from multiplayer in games that don't lend itself to multiplayer.
    Anyone remember Sim City (the "new" one)? Or the Dungeon Keeper mobile game?

I foresee the following (and more)
    • A forced multiplayer, one way or another.
    • Micro transactions and maybe rewards you can only get if grinding the game online.
    • Pay-with-real-money benefits in online play.
    • Again, more micro transactions... how about $1 for a chair? $2.50 for the matching table? $7.50 for a wedding dress? $15 for a supernatural state (fairy wings sold separately if you want more than the base color).

And so on.

No, I do not trust any game that proclaims "Online features". Especially not by a studio owned by EA. Look what EA did to Sim City. To Mass Effect. To Star Wars.

So no. This is the end of the line for me until I have seen hands on gameplay, after release, by people I trust, telling me there is a full game if you choose to play without any micro transactions or online features.

Overreacting before an official confirmation of any multiplayer aspect is all i see here. somehow you acquired the agreement of about 40 users and none of them clearly see what i do; there is for the moment no multiplayer component coming to TS5 unless EA directly say it themselves.

One thing i find most disturbing in this whole affair is how easily Kaechen throws this thread out with speculation in a link and calls it truth and how easily some get it into their head that this is indeed the way they will go. But what if this is not how things will go in TS5, there there is no multiplayer?

We won't know anything until EA announces TS5 and what services it will contain within.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Well.

Nothing good has come from multiplayer in games that don't lend itself to multiplayer.

• Micro transactions and maybe rewards you can only get if grinding the game online.
    • Again, more micro transactions... how about $1 for a chair? $2.50 for the matching table? $7.50 for a wedding dress? $15 for a supernatural state (fairy wings sold separately if you want more than the base color).

And so on.

No, I do not trust any game that proclaims "Online features". Especially not by a studio owned by EA. Look what EA did to Sim City. To Mass Effect. To Star Wars.

So no. This is the end of the line for me until I have seen hands on gameplay, after release, by people I trust, telling me there is a full game if you choose to play without any micro transactions or online features.

Yes, so much for the evolution of gaming where the focus is now on DLC and that is not necessarily bad but is when it is not done right and does not fit. My love for the Sims has waned starting with the creation of Sims 4 and the focus on less product and more money if one just look beyond the smoke and screen and shiny objects. I do remember Sim City 2013 and I also remember Dungeon Keeper which was part of an great franchise once upon an time before the focus on other things changed. The Sims series is also vulnerable to closure and can at any time and for me I would be content with the previous versions as long as I can still play them and if not oh well there is hopefully Paralives and other games waiting to be played in the void.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Hoverael wrote: »
    Well.

And so on.

Overreacting before an official confirmation of any multiplayer aspect is all i see here. somehow you acquired the agreement of about 40 users and none of them clearly see what i do; there is for the moment no multiplayer component coming to TS5 unless EA directly say it themselves.

One thing i find most disturbing in this whole affair is how easily Kaechen throws this thread out with speculation in a link and calls it truth and how easily some get it into their head that this is indeed the way they will go. But what if this is not how things will go in TS5, there there is no multiplayer?

We won't know anything until EA announces TS5 and what services it will contain within.

I agree there is no truth or confirmation yet but we are all just speculating in the speculation form of what we will do or how we feel "if" this happens.
    And hopefully the company sees how many of us are against it. If the CEO didn't want any speculation or rumors going around he would have kept his thoughts to himself. Lol 🤣
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    They already have this in sims mobile - that's a free-to-play game with all the stuff that follows from it. You buy currency and buy a table with the currency. It's no fun for me, but some like it.
    Hoverael wrote: »
    Well.

And so on.

I agree there is no truth or confirmation yet but we are all just speculating in the speculation form of what we will do or how we feel "if" this happens.
    And hopefully the company sees how many of us are against it. If the CEO didn't want any speculation or rumors going around he would have kept his thoughts to himself. Lol 🤣

I didn't see anything wrong if he decides to share his vision because, in terms of business wise, it's important to tell the shareholders & stakeholders on what they're planning to do next or perhaps how they want to positioning their product. They need to keep the investors to keep on investing & keeping the interest strong. What is more important is for them to be dynamic in approaching this issue by giving their customers & consumers an option & at the same time, they need to manage a pressure to not to be left way behind in comparison to the other game franchises. Although they claimed that they "monopolised" the genre, but, they can't be assure that they're going to be the one forever.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2020

2. Have you not paid any attention to what AAA gaming publishers have been doing since 2010? Have you not seen what EA has done since 2010?

Discussing is not fretting. And people objecting is really the only way to at least try to stop the trend. Honestly, the only game I'm looking forward to is CP2077 -- it's because I know that CDPR still cares about innovation and the point of the game won't be centered around microtransactions. I know the opposite is true about EA.

There are people who believed that EA killed of SimCity, but that's not quite true. They killed it on PC, but the mobile version is doing well. With mobile games, people seem far more willing to accept a game that does center around microtransactions. Fortunately, that market is saturated, so releasing new games into it is less profitable. But still, the only mobile games I can bring myself to play these days are Stardew Valley and a sudoku game I tossed a couple of dollars at a few years ago to get rid of ads.
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I don’t understand why they are so obsessed with making an online multiplayer game? It’s so obvious the majority of simmers don’t want that. If they are so desperate why not make a spin-off for the and leave the main game alone. Nothing good could come from a online game like this. If this is true than the Sims is definitely over. RIP

However it is super early and the next game is still probably years away. Hopefully in that amount of time they will see sense and not go through with this nonsense.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited February 2020
    I don’t understand why they are so obsessed with making an online multiplayer game? It’s so obvious the majority of simmers don’t want that.

Because they believe the Games As Service model is still viable (it isn't) and because online makes it much MUCH easier to monetize.
    It is only about money. That is the only reason.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    I don’t understand why they are so obsessed with making an online multiplayer game? It’s so obvious the majority of simmers don’t want that. If they are so desperate why not make a spin-off for the and leave the main game alone. Nothing good could come from a online game like this. If this is true than the Sims is definitely over. RIP

However it is super early and the next game is still probably years away. Hopefully in that amount of time they will see sense and not go through with this nonsense.

i agree with you 200% @OhMyHemsworth the error that was the new simcity online must not be repeated thats my toughs as a player i went the sims game to remain an offline game the only only feature that should be is the gallery so will wait and see and wait for more info on the sims5
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    Felicity wrote: »

Discussing is not fretting. And people objecting is really the only way to at least try to stop the trend. Honestly, the only game I'm looking forward to is CP2077 -- it's because I know that CDPR still cares about innovation and the point of the game won't be centered around microtransactions. I know the opposite is true about EA.

There are people who believed that EA killed of SimCity, but that's not quite true. They killed it on PC, but the mobile version is doing well. With mobile games, people seem far more willing to accept a game that does center around microtransactions. Fortunately, that market is saturated, so releasing new games into it is less profitable. But still, the only mobile games I can bring myself to play these days are Stardew Valley and a sudoku game I tossed a couple of dollars at a few years ago to get rid of ads.

I wasn't even aware that there was a mobile version, but then I have only played a single mobile game in my entire life (Pokemon Go).
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    All I can say is thank GOD we'll have Paralives.

Oh yeah, thank God that building game will take the place of a life simulator.
    All I can say is thank GOD we'll have Paralives.

Oh yeah, thank God that building game will take the place of a life simulator.

It appears to be far more than a building game, since they are discussing how babies won't be objects, and personality traits for the people in general.
  • NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    edited February 2020
    I wouldn't say the multiplayer would necessarily put me off with the next generation of the game, but here are somethings I'm probably not going to put up with again if they're not in the base game:
    -Dynamic weather
    -Some type of story progression and the ability to turn it on or off
    -Babies as Sims and not objects
    - At least open neighborhoods (not the entire neighborhood world, but at least the immediate area; like in TS4 before you click on the house you want to play the immediate surrounding area highlights; thar area without hitting a loading screen)
    - The ability to take family photos and be able to put photos on surfaces.
    - Improved gameplay such as more emphasis of Sims being born, and death at least; bring back cemeteries and allow us to manage the dead with the mausoleum like in TS3.
    - Pools and cars

What would be nice to include in base game (but probably might not happen):
    - at least cats and dogs as pets
    - no pre determined lot sizes (bring back the implementation of being able to put down lot blueprints like in the Sims 3, but the ability to change the size at any time.
    - The different living styles, rural,urban,suburban from the start instead of having to buy an expansion or game pack to have sims live in the city for example.