Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Phantasmal Reading Circle III: Newness Returns!

Comments

• 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    NyteRose wrote: »
    @katrinasforest @Firande @lone_cat
    I did a makeover on an elf maiden character I've had rotting in my library/Gallery for ages. Dying to play her again (I only briefly playtested her after creation to make sure she and her puppy worked) and am slowly remodeling WC/Newcrest to look like fantasy/medieval/elf worlds. She'll be made into a spellcaster since elves are known for being magically adept. Anyway...

Avianna Dawnleaf Before (No CC)
    47945238092_860e5614e1.jpg

Avianna After
    49436221392_899e42ba40.jpg
    49436222247_a6efd29822.jpg

Sadie
    49435527008_b31d132ea3.jpg

I'm tempted to start outlining a fantasy story about her, but I don't who the male lead or other characters will be :D

She's very pretty! I have a few elves hanging around my folders, too.
    This one's named Morgiah Dorvayn. She's the star of my current series.
    LnUSx3d.png
    NfCJeRm.png
    And this one is Mirie Spellaire.
    KUbM8gl.png?2
    Sorry for derailing the thread. I was part of the original Phantasmal Reading Circle, so it's nice to see that it's still going. <3
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    @NyteRose I'm glad you were able to find clean saves! :) It's heartbreaking to lose a favorite character.

@Firande I really enjoy your story! It is very easy to binge on. I laugh every chapter, and really like the style of your writing. I like reading about flawed characters, and your characters are very flawed (in a good way :) ) and it creates such great drama between them.

I now see Nancy Landgrab in a whole new light. I always disliked her character in the game (or the Landgrabs in general), but she's complex and interesting in your story. I feel bad for her, (I only finished season 1, so that might change).

Some of my favorite scenes are when Tika's rocket ship crashes in front of the twins, and Cai/Angelico's proposal/wedding had me in stitches. There are so many good scenes. I'm halfway through, so I will post a more thorough response later in the week, once I'm all caught up.

@15aewar Thanks for sharing! :) Your characters look very elven!
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    @lone_cat

OMG thank you so much! That means so much.... and thank you SO much for catching up so quickly! I've been a little out of it because of exams but I'm gonna start reading your story asap!! It's the one in your subtitle thing, right? Expect some spam from me soon, haha. :blush:

@15aewar I totally agree with lonecat that those Sims look so elven, and I absolutely love it! You really did a great job at giving them a great vibe. Super impressive. :blush:
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
    Thanks, @lone_cat and @Firande . I hope you get good grades on your finals!
    I took a peek at Xaos. Lots of colorful characters there! I love the comic-book style of the screenshots.
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    I found some new poses to try out and oh boy, do they really make Vin look good... Here's a sneak peek shot...
    49465960003_a93dcf0e92.jpg

He just looks so innocent, doesn't he? <3
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
    NyteRose wrote: »
    I found some new poses to try out and oh boy, do they really make Vin look good... Here's a sneak peek shot...
    49465960003_a93dcf0e92.jpg

He just looks so innocent, doesn't he? <3

He looks deadly to me! Which is a compliment for a vampire, I should think. :p
    My vampires tend to look more dorky. :D
    Examples:
    XKETCVM.png?2
    This is Joseph Curwen. No, he will not take off his sunglasses. He doesn't care that it's midnight and that he's indoors.
    usQGkhe.png?1
    This is Cicero. Okay, he's not a vampire. He just looks good when he's plotting.
    6XVpYRP.png
    This guy...don't get me started on this guy.
    edited March 2020
    @15aewar I see him as gothic but innocent looking... but honestly the way I'm writing his character he's a bada** with class, as I like to think of him.
    @katrinasforest @Firande @lone_cat The first photoshoot is now posted on my blog. The second, shorter one will be up tomorrow.

EDIT- The second photo op is posted.
    Post edited by NyteRose on
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited January 2020
    @Firande

A more general question: which occult's representation do you like the best in my story and why? I realize that right now this is only between aliens and vampires, hehe, so I'll probably be reiterating this question later on once I'm caught up on my mermaid/siren and witches chapters as well. :sweat_smile:

Actually, I'm going to say neither and go with ghosts. Usually when I see ghosts in SimLit, they're used more traditionally--someone with a task left undone or returning briefly to deliver a message. I know ghosts in general annoy a lot of players, and they tend to get ignored as a life state. So I really like how you centered an entire plotline around Tori trying to come back and the whole escapade of just how difficult that actually is.

A close second though is the aliens. They feel very powerful in your story, like they could be rivals for the vampires as much as spellcasters could.

2. Which of the (side) storylines (i.e. Tika's story, Cai/Angelico's story, Calo's story, Tori's story, Emil's story, or Fenne's story) did you guys enjoy the most and why?

I'm going to say Tori's story, for the reasons stated above. It was fun, and I really sympathized with her frustration.

3. What is your favorite moment in the story so far? :blush:

This is tricky to pick one single moment! I think the times Tika has had his moments of self-deception rank pretty high for me. ("Everything is totally fine, and any bad things are definitely not my fault!")

If you have any questions for me, I'd love to hear those too!! If all the occults from all the previous Sims games suddenly existed in Sims 4, which one would you incorporate next into the story?
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    @Firande Answers to your questions :)

1. A more general question: which occult's representation do you like the best in my story and why? I'm gonna have to go with the vampires because I'm a vamp freak and Tika (the vamp with the dark hair and white shirt I think?) is a hottie. I've never really played with aliens or ghosts, not my cup of tea. But I do feel the aliens are just as strong, if not a touch stronger, than the vampires with their technology and abilities. (I feel so bad for not being able to keep all the characters straight) :(

2. Which of the (side) storylines (i.e. Tika's story, Cai/Angelico's story, Calo's story, Tori's story, Emil's story, or Fenne's story) did you guys enjoy the most and why? I enjoyed Tori's story despite not liking to play ghosts. She's driven and almost fanatical in her quest to regain her body and life, which makes her even more dangerous.

3. What is your favorite moment in the story so far? :blush:
    The meeting of the vampires. It was a unique display of various personalities, and I loved Mori's entrance.

If you have any questions for me, I'd love to hear those too!! Do you plan to incorporate fairies or witches into the story since mermaids/sirens are an already planned part?

@Firande

1. A more general question: which occult's representation do you like the best in my story and why? I realize that right now this is only between aliens and vampires, hehe, so I'll probably be reiterating this question later on once I'm caught up on my mermaid/siren and witches chapters as well. :sweat_smile: I have agree with NyteRose and katrinasforest, I like your representation of ghosts in this story. Tori's story line really drew me in, she is an evil character to me (except for the fact that she does love her kids) and her being a ghost just made her that much more powerful. I do like the aliens in this story. I think Tika creating an army, by having lots of alien kids, is a very alien thing to do. I also like how aliens and vampires really hate each other, they make good opponents. They each have unique powers or weaknesses, that offset each other well.

2. Which of the (side) storylines (i.e. Tika's story, Cai/Angelico's story, Calo's story, Tori's story, Emil's story, or Fenne's story) did you guys enjoy the most and why? Oh this is a hard one, I don't know if I can pick a favorite, so I'll just touch on what I liked best about each. I liked Tori's story after she died, she is a very good villainess. I like to see the ways Tika is going to get himself into trouble, and then blame other people for the messes he creates. Cai/Ang's story- I am still rooting for these two to get back together, but I get why they broke up. Cai is a bit of a free spirit, and it was bound to happen. I like seeing Emil/Fenne/Caldor and how they are making it in life despite Tika's terrible parenting. Calo- I am happy he got turned into a human, he is the guy I love to hate.

3. What is your favorite moment in the story so far?
    There are so many, but I still love Cai/Ang's proposal/wedding scene, makes me laugh, and how they managed to be together for much of the story line, despite their differences.
    OMG thank you guys so much for your (super cool and in-depth) responses! This truly made my day looking at you guys' comments. :blush: I appreciate y'all lots.

@15aewar I love those Sims! They all seem so unique, which I'm totally about that. That last dude... I'm frankly a little scared, but also very intrigued. :joy:

@katrinasforest Thank you so much for your answers. It was so interesting to read your POV and man, I can't believe I forgot about ghosts! Really glad you liked that storyline. It was absolutely a LOT of fun to play, cause man, them evil ghosts truly don't have any boundaries and that kind of gameplay often ends up being the best kind of gameplay. :sweat_smile:

Really glad you like the aliens. I've tried so hard to make them seem more powerful, but given their lack of abilities in-game EA has made it a little hard for me, LOL. I definitely consider some of them, like Cortez, to be more powerful than even most vampires. Kind of imagine if they had like, those cool TS3 alien powers. :joy:

Such an interesting question! Thanks so much for asking. I think if I could incorporate any occult (barring the ones I already will be incorporating cause they've since been added like mermaids & witches), I'd add werewolves. I've never actually been THAT into the occult - in TS2, when I had access to all the occult, I actually almost exclusively did the whole realism gameplay. :joy: I never played TS3 so have no experience with fairies and all, so werewolves feel like the most accessible occult to me. They already have the whole rivalry thing going with vampires, and I'm an absolute sucker for rivalries so I'd love to get into that!

@NyteRose Thanks for answering! I think the vampire you're referring to is James. Tika is one of the aliens. It's OK! I know I have a LOT of characters, haha, so I totally get the confusion. Those are the cons of having an ensemble cast.

So cool that you liked the vampires council stuff! That was so fun to write, too. :blush:

Thanks also for the question! I am most definitely planning to add witches. :smirk: In fact, they will be appearing next season... but although that sounds soon, this current season (Season 4) is actually gonna be a long one so it'll be a while. :joy: But I've already played out quite some stuff that includes spellcasters, and have incorporated it into the story too!
    I know very little of fairies (I think the only fairy I know is Tinkerbell and I haven't watched Peter Pan since I was a kid LOL), so I'm not sure I'd incorporate them as soon. On the other hand, if TS4 ever decides to drop a fairies-related pack I'd 100% buy it and find some way to incorporate it in some story somehow, preferably with my own lore as I've been trying to make for sirens/mermaids.

I LOVED your photoshoots!!! I love them both a lot (also man you really nailed that setting!), but since you asked, I think my favorite would be Night Warrior. That scar and the longer hair in Vin's dark form... oh man! :heart: Absolutely love that. He's just so beautiful. :weary:

@lone_cat Thanks so much for both answers. That's so incredibly sweet of you to go in twice after you caught up... and man, I'm so impressed by how quick you were to catch up! <3 You're spot on about Tori being an evil character first and foremost. It's so cool that you guys liked that storyline so much. Mayhaps I should bring a ghost kind of storyline back at some point.... LOL.
    You're so in-depth in your answers! I absolutely appreciate it lots.
    Ang/Cai's proposal and wedding is probably one of my favorite moments as well... I had been playing this save just for fun up to that point, no storytelling, I used my human save that I played at the same time for that. Then all that happened, and I found myself growing so attached to Cai and Ang that I played my other save less and less... skip forward to almost 2 years later and I've completely abandoned that human save and focus solely on this save now. :joy: I really do feel like it's thanks to them (and of course Tika) that I did, and that moment of their proposal/wedding contributed a lot to it. :blush:

fgQIHTb.png
    @Firande Well, Vin is scarred even in normal form (his hair hides the eye scar) but the torso scars are quite visible. There is also a large scar on the back of his left shoulder (I have pics but can't post them as they are very adult.)
    edited February 2020
    @15aewar They're all so different, I like it. :) I agree with Firande, the last guy scares me a little, he looks like a hybrid between a vampire, and Frankenstein's monster, and I'm not sure what else, very interesting.

@NyteRose I really like the Night warrior photo shoot. Vin has that handsome, but deadly vampire vibe going for him. <3>:) I have both those pose packs, but hardly ever use them, so it's nice to see what can be done with them.

@Firande I completely agree with getting werewolves, I've been wanting them for so long, I loved them in sims 3, and miss them so much. One of my characters in Supernatural Misadventures is a secret werewolf, so I'm really hoping we get them soon, otherwise I'll just have to use the mod that's out, or maybe just make a dog that they turn into and form some lore around that.

Also on a side note, I dug up my fantasy story and have been tweaking it and taking screenshots. Here is the link to it, Lost in a Magic Realm.
    I know the title isn't the greatest, I have the hardest time coming up with titles, but I'm enjoying writing the story so far, and it gives me a chance to use more of the pets pack and realm of magic.
    @lone_cat If you need to go the making a dog for wolf form route, I suggest a Husky (they are half or eighty percent wolf, but don't quote me on that. I'm a cat/small animal person.) Or if the wolfhound breed is in the game that should work too.
    Ah, interesting about the scarring! I didn't see that, haha. :blush:

@lone_cat Oooohh, you love werewolves too! That's awesome. I really can't wait for them either. Titles are the worst... if I could change mine, I totally would LOL. That story sounds so interesting! Will definitely be adding it to my reading list.

That does sound tiring to have to use mods and other routes to pretend to have werewolves in. My friend played witches even years before the pack actually came out, and it required a whole lot of imagination on her part (she didn't like to use the mods that were out there for it), but it looked super realistic still, so I'm sure your werewolves do too. :blush: Man, you're totally inspiring me to do some kind of shapeshifter story at some point with a cat/dog who is secretly a shape-shifter. :joy: That's how you should know you're writing an amazing story, here... is when you manage to inspire people like that!!

@NyteRose Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes (both in the game) are "closely" related to wolves, but still a whoooole load of generations down the line from true wolves. Even a lot of wolfdogs are actually at least 4 generations separated from true, wild wolves - which is also what all dog trainers will advocate for is if people so desperate to get dogs with wolf genes (German Shepherds actually have them too), you should get them at least 4 generations down the line. Totally unnecessary of me to mention that LOL.., but I just wanted to share it. :sweat_smile:

There are a lot of "wolves" on the gallery by people who made them, so that's what I'd recommend looking at too!

Speaking about wolf-looking dogs... this is also not really that important to my story Xaos or anything (doesn't even appear in Xaos LOL) but I just got a dog for my Sim too, and I'm just loving her so much! I haven't played pets in basically forever cause I thought they were whiny, but I'm having a blast. I think the dogs in TS4 are so pretty... it'd be totally cool to make werewolves out of them and use them for Sims' werewolf forms. They'd sure as heck be a lot prettier than those werewolves that you see in shows like Buffy and Teen Wolf. :joy:

x0FYVBJ.png

fgQIHTb.png
    edited February 2020
    @Firande and @lone_cat Thanks so much! I didn't really come up with the idea for any of those vamps. Maybe that's why they look unique. :D
    Joseph Curwen is from H. P. Lovecraft's The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, Cicero is from Skyrim, and the last one is Ryuk from Death Note.
    I did make these sims myself, though. Oh! I also tried making a skin for Joseph Curwen. That birthmark above his eyebrow is supposed to be a crescent, (per H.P. Lovecraft himself!) but it ended up looking more like a kidney bean. :|
    Anyway, I'll stop derailing the thread. Back to lurking for me!
    Post edited by 15aewar on
    @Firande @NyteRose Thanks for the suggestions!

It's cool you mention the husky because in my new story I'm using a husky as a wolf, they very much look like wolves with the right tweaks. One of my characters gets turned into a wolf and has to navigate the world as a wolf. I like the trope of shifters turning to animals, that would be a cool story, Firande. Glad I could inspire you! :)

On a side note, Firande is correct, most current dog breeds are far descendants from wolves, I think it's estimated to be like around 30,000 years ago (don't quote me on that) the wolf was domesticated, there is some debate on the exact time frame. Though there has been interbreeding with wolves since then. I'm very interested in genetics and anything animal-related, sorry to steer this off-topic.

Firande, your German Shepherd is adorable, I love Shepherds, they are such beautiful and intelligent dogs, but I just like bigger dogs in general. I also love cats too, hence my screen name and picture. :)
    edited February 2020
    @15aewar Very nice vamps and elves :)
    @Firande I'll have to do another photoshoot with those poses, but with his dark form this time ;)<3 (Meli loves it too.)
    Pic of his back scar (I know I didn't describe it quite right.)
    49476865298_db6f12c281.jpg

And a gift... <3;)
    49476866478_5724d0f8e2.jpg
    Post edited by NyteRose on
    edited February 2020
    @katrinasforest @lone_cat @Firande Hope I'm not spamming but here is a Love Day treat. Enjoy :)
    49476875208_1194d0f8c1.jpg
    @NyteRose I like the tattoo and the scar. :) I need to get caught up on your bloodline series, these two look so sweet together. <3
    @lone_cat Thank you so much! In-game, these two are practically inseparable- and he's so sweet with her. In Bloodline, they "officially" met at her senior prom. Fast forward two years later and they've unknowingly met up again online but I don't want to give away too much. Let's just say there's a lot of drama going on. ;)
    15aewar wrote: »
    Sorry for derailing the thread. I was part of the original Phantasmal Reading Circle, so it's nice to see that it's still going. <3

@15aewar Derail away! The thread is boring when it's quiet. :) And I'm so happy you and others started the circle to begin with. This was one of the first threads I started chatting in when I joined the forums.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    @katrinasforest I just wanted to double-check that Clanbuilding is the featured story this week. And are we starting a new story on Sundays or Mondays?
    edited February 2020
    @lone_cat I'm changing it to Mondays. Sorry for the confusion. As I said, weekends are always the busiest time of the week for me with family stuff, so why I picked Sunday to begin with is beyond my own understanding. ^_^;;

Anyway, latest chapter of Clanbuilding was just posted on Friday, but if anyone is still catching up, that's totally fine:

http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2020/01/31/clanbuilding-for-dummies-chapter-27/

I'll keep most of my questions more general. :)

1. At the time I started the comic, Sulani, Glimmerbrook, and Britechester didn't exist yet. If those worlds were to have their own persons of influence, who would you say they would be?

2. I've been pondering the idea of Allie and Caleb drifting apart as a couple a little bit. Not that they're having a fight, just that they both feel like they're going through the motions and maybe there's not as much of a spark between them as they first thought. Does this feel a bit out of left field, a natural progression, or somewhere in between? I know they haven't had as much "screen time" as others.

3. For anyone who has caught up to the latest chapter...
    I'm mostly just curious what you thought of Kyle's big moment at the end. I know it was more dramatic in compared to most of my goofier chapters, but I'm hoping I'm still striking a good balance between the two. :)
    edited February 2020
    I'll keep most of my questions more general. :)

1. At the time I started the comic, Sulani, Glimmerbrook, and Britechester didn't exist yet. If those worlds were to have their own persons of influence, who would you say they would be?

2. I've been pondering the idea of Allie and Caleb drifting apart as a couple a little bit. Not that they're having a fight, just that they both feel like they're going through the motions and maybe there's not as much of a spark between them as they first thought. Does this feel a bit out of left field, a natural progression, or somewhere in between? I know they haven't had as much "screen time" as others.

3. For anyone who has caught up to the latest chapter...
    I'm mostly just curious what you thought of Kyle's big moment at the end. I know it was more dramatic in compared to most of my goofier chapters, but I'm hoping I'm still striking a good balance between the two. :)

I hope you accept answers from non-members of the reading circle! :D
    1. Who do I think are the persons of influence in those new towns?
    Sulani: I haven't played Sulani much yet, but according to the Wiki, the Kahananuis consider themselves quite important.
    Britechester: It's a University Town, so most of the people who live there aren't permanent residents. However, given their history in the franchise, I would say the Pleasant family is the most prominent.
    Glimmerbrook: The Charm family looks to be the oldest family. They have my vote! (I don't count any of the spell trainers, since they don't live in Glimmerbrook. Also, the Amicable Acolytes appear to be recent residents.)

2. I think it would seem fitting for Allie and Caleb to drift apart. I never thought their relationship would be a permanent thing, despite Allie becoming a vampire.

3. I think drinking the blood of the infected aliens was a very Kyle thing to do. The chapter still felt quite lighthearted to me.