Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Some visual inspiration (PIC HEAVY)

I wanted to share some pictures with you all from my own world of knitting, give you an idea of what knitting is like in the modern world, that it doesnt have to be all about grannies (but it can be if you want it to be). The things that i make, the things i see at shows that inspire me and stuff my friend's have made, even the clothes we wear. (A particular highlight are my see-through converse trainers!)

No apology for the volume of pictures- If you are a knitter too feel free to add your own stuff!

So to kick things off here is me and here are some of my own knitting projects- im a particular fan of knitting socks.

aWR7TOu.jpg

fEpqUsa.jpg

IBkxQKA.jpg

XgzASgB.jpg

jaLYHg5.jpg

yiOmM7u.jpg

3LWBVZ0.jpg

pqoPPwu.jpg

RSqf8N2.jpg

X6q7ELc.jpg

Comments

• annalephantannalephant Posts: 98 Member
    my projects continued...

dRk9Etz.jpg

CIca9WU.jpg

BUHrFww.jpg

hZuW4JX.jpg

V9WNv7t.jpg

Pmuwudd.jpg

zB7S35s.jpg

i6UZVth.jpg

qi86PKy.jpg

L8SL5C9.jpg

dKymZdD.jpg

a few more of my things...

00IH4pC.jpg

bEe9aIq.jpg

gSE5GHg.jpg

30YhJdY.jpg

eMAMObM.jpg

S5ZTxcX.jpg

HCCuqvf.jpg

R24WbHR.jpg

CnFcpGd.jpg

UgbgKyT.jpg

lmPTmlL.jpg

rAFKL3u.jpg

07PUcSQ.jpg
    w8Q5iQZ.jpg

9v7pTZe.jpg

B8x0gtw.jpg

hEGdUl8.jpg

NKLKR22.jpg

76kcNoO.jpg

AJFwakB.jpg

ZN9d508.jpg

D0blWAi.jpg

dx8yRDi.jpg

RnpNnkU.jpg

fAaO1hg.jpg

khJFVdS.jpg

qUtf7uS.jpg

r9QMnMQ.jpg

Here are some pictures of homewares and accessories that i've made, starting with my hierloom patchwork memories blanket, which i have been working on for 10 years now, is knitted on 2.5mm needles using thin 4ply "sock yarn", using left overs from my other projects, left overs given to me by friends and strangers online, yarn i have bought on holidays and at special events, from commercial companies and independent yarn dyers,and i have knitted squares from all kinds of events/milestones, such as births, deaths, royal weddings, to remember people i have met and places i have been, even a set of squares to mark each set of olympics that passes whilst i am working on the blanket. Its my pride and joy.

UMyXFHh.jpg

pTS80KA.jpg

this is my cat's girlfriend- prescilla the "purrmaid"
    HCBPbtz.jpg

Cloud cushions
    QFWnCSk.jpg

Winston the Worm
    6xkWcuK.jpg

My kitten basket, which my cat Ida quickly outgrew but loved so much she insisted on still using for several years!
    VsF68s5.jpg

DSnZobY.jpg

Phineas loves his chicken girlfriend Hetty the Hen and sleeps next to her at night
    ZvWYjsw.jpg

18jn5gc.jpg

One of mu favourite gifts was this faux fox head wall plaque kit, knitted with really chunky yarn
    XvVbJd8.jpg

edited February 2020
    Things that my friends have knitted- sometimes for me, sometimes for themselves, plus things i have seen at knitting shows/shops that have inspired me.

Wabbit and Winston the Wonky (W)Aardvark that my friend crocheted for my birthday last year
    2vvRPtF.jpg

unicorn scarf
    1S0tdRd.jpg

rainbow shawl
    hAroVUo.jpg

caterpilar baby
    f9w69iT.jpg

the most beautiful and intricate laceweight shawl, the size of a tablecloth
    FY0CHVX.jpg

the work that went in to it was breathtaking
    bOoANs5.jpg

i love these socks and the yarn is hand dyed 23 different colours so that the socks are self striping as you knit them- i have this yarn in my stash...
    tK8iJxm.jpg

funky fairisle socks
    wmShrkw.jpg

my friend's crochet/knitting hut in her garden
    4D4xHpV.jpg

a hand woven rug using super chunky yarn
    5HDrw4n.jpg

a bit of yarn bombing with shaun the sheep...
    Ch00vRC.jpg

babwear is just adorable, always
    4krDqfZ.jpg

there are so many cute baby items to knit, and never enough time to make them all!
    9kWlicQ.jpg

gorgeous homewares
    UBJhLPR.jpg

crochet hearts as decorations
    q9xWWJp.jpg

more yarn bombing at a show
    CINI55w.jpg

little birds on a branch
    KDg7sFQ.jpg

crochet bunting
    02nUlCJ.jpg

rug pictures as wall decor
    XSSiqiJ.jpg

edwards menagerie is a whole collection of designs to make crochet animals which i absolutely ADORE and is incredibly popular- thousands of edwards cuddly toys have been made all over the world
    JhfQme0.jpg

hank the sheep, is one of my favourite designs
    BRCyPqf.jpg

animal themed knits are also incredibly popular, especially the quirky chunky designs from sincerely louise
    oBe7nlf.png

i adore her faux taxidermy knits designs for animal heads which she sells as kits
    lKDuOlH.jpg

red poppies that were used in a WW1 rememberenace display in austrailia that my friend posted out to me.
    kyaHA3V.jpg

it was a a lovely community project that thousands of people took part in to make them
    itsw1gX.jpg

modern knitwear can be really bold, like this jumper
    WtHNYk2.jpg

Shawls are very popular items
    H5PjXAf.jpg

this one i particularly like
    SMbqiQu.jpg
    Post edited by annalephant on
    Tools of the job- these are some of the things i use and ways i store my knitting, types of yarn etc.

how hand dyed yarn is often sold- in skeins, which have to be rewound in to balls or "cakes" to be knitted- in this case to make a pair of socks.
    k5AvEab.jpg

dpsHEaR.jpg

this is a yarn winder (left) and yarn swift (right) that are used to turn a skein in to a cake of yarn
    8SJkTGg.jpg

the finished cake
    lOGSoxv.jpg

knitting socks on special bendy needle
    cTkQMwl.jpg

knitting a chunky hat on giant double pointed needles
    iRkq41V.jpg

i wash my hand knits in the bath
    Mcbi78x.jpg

dry them outside flat or on special "sock blockers" shaped like feet
    IGmPpQk.jpg

l2dIKeg.jpg

e3zwloz.jpg

and then i store my socks in my special "sock box"
    pMDhfFd.jpg

i store my yarn in big plastic boxes to protect them from moths mostly, but my storage for my mini skeins and mini balls of yarn for my blanket are more novel
    XlL7reE.jpg

6vhCJGx.jpg

QAMdZ6Q.jpg

i store my projects in a variety of ways such as bags, open tubs etc
    0ibkKk0.jpg

UYCxZpO.jpg

anything that is handy for taking your knitting out in to the real world (pubs)
    yTvwKfS.jpg

hZuW4JX.jpg

but my cutest project holder is my yarn ball, complete with moustache
    32kJVrp.jpg

Every knitter carries "notions" a variety of tools, scissors, needles, a row counter, a pencil, a measuring tape and some stitch markers are the most common ones, with them all the time. I personally like to keep my notions in a silicone banana, just because.
    HjWomco.jpg

stitch markers come in a huge variety of designs and types and can be really quirky. i particularly love fimo/polymer clay designs.
    52CRUXc.jpg

my friend makes these gorgeous little mushrooms as pin cushions which i think are adorable
    KJqAe3d.jpg

Yarn comes in such wonderful designs nowadays- some of my favourites are things like opal sock yarn- this is an ombre effect yarn with silver sparkles
    AVieCvX.jpg

this is yarn that i actually hand dyed myself in some wonderful fire effects due to the different treatments applied to the yarn when it was manufactured meaning the dye takes differently to each strand
    oZxncrO.jpg

this yarn is a combination of baby camel hair and silk! its like knitting with a golden shiny cloud - the softest yarn i have ever touched
    Q7B4tD8.jpg

the spectrum of colours of hand dyed yarn available is just mouth watering
    MmptC3B.jpg

one of the things i love most about knitting is the textures it can create
    wiSs81i.jpg

and the sheer beauty of yarn...
    m73XyKC.jpg

part of the process of knitting is something you do after you have finished a project- it is called blocking, where you stretch out the work whilst it is wet and pin it down on to foam boards to stretch it to the correct size and shape- this makes any lace or cable work stand out, neatens out inperfections and makes things fit properly!
    giJWzZo.jpg

when you get in to knitting its innevitable that one day you might want to try and spin some of your own wool- you dont need a massive spinning wheel to do this, you can use a drop spindle instead- its quite addictive once you start...
    XlsUPMc.jpg

and ofcourse drop spindles come in every colour, with or without added sparkles...
    Cq5qiih.jpg

and ofcourse the one thing we never speak of... the nightmare that is "yarn barf" (where your ball of yarn just tangles itself up on the inside for no reason at all and it takes hours to undo all the knots= even with help!!!)
    DBWxq9e.jpg

talking of help- phineas is my helper and likes to hold my yarn for me...
    IrqXomX.jpg

edited February 2020
    finally- what do knitters wear? well the real answer is ANYTHING but there are a few fan favourites out there...

my see through converse are a hit with everone- it took me years to track down a pair in my size in the uk because they were a US special one off
    yKOsGtU.jpg

upk2glv.jpg

shawls worn as scarves around your neck are also very popular
    wxquvhN.jpg

certain patterns really take off on social media and sites like www.ravelry.com - one such pattern is the hitchiker shawl. it is a simple design but easy to wear and so has been made thousands and thousands of times.
    X8ULvKC.jpg

Crochet tops are also fun to make and a common sight at yarn shows
    FzxfkLf.jpg

rainbow knitwear is so popular even the shops are catching on
    QAIAz9x.jpg

certain patterns cause a craze- this design started out as a hat pattern to celebrate shetland wool week, but has been turned in to cowls, mittens and baby jumpers because everyone loves it- this design was called 'the baaable hat'.
    vEVb5TI.jpg
    Post edited by annalephant on