The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Time to jump ship? Sims 5 will be suffering from online disease

BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
Well.
Sims 4 will be my last Sims game.

Nothing good has come from multiplayer in games that don't lend itself to multiplayer.
Anyone remember Sim City (the "new" one)? Or the Dungeon Keeper mobile game?

I foresee the following (and more)
  • A forced multiplayer, one way or another.
  • Micro transactions and maybe rewards you can only get if grinding the game online.
  • Pay-with-real-money benefits in online play.
  • Again, more micro transactions... how about $1 for a chair? $2.50 for the matching table? $7.50 for a wedding dress? $15 for a supernatural state (fairy wings sold separately if you want more than the base color).

And so on.

No, I do not trust any game that proclaims "Online features". Especially not by a studio owned by EA. Look what EA did to Sim City. To Mass Effect. To Star Wars.

So no. This is the end of the line for me until I have seen hands on gameplay, after release, by people I trust, telling me there is a full game if you choose to play without any micro transactions or online features.
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    The idea sounds bad, but let’s stay optimistic!
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Yeah, I'm not excited about it. I love you guys, but no offense, I don't want to be forced to play with you. :D

BuT iF YoU DOnT PlAY OnLiNE YoU'lL LoSe THe CoMpETiTioN! *spongebob chicken gif*
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    Is this official or just speculation? Unless the devs confirm it, I don't buy it. :v
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Is this official or just speculation? Unless the devs confirm it, I don't buy it. :v

It's speculation. Nothing has been actually confirmed - the idea was just floated by EA's CEO.

It's from EA's CEO. Which is the last person to talk about games, since no EA CEO since before the closing of the Bullfrog studio have cared abut games or gamers at all, only the bottom line.
    I found it out thru Lilsimsie's video:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=LmxNESriCTs&lc=z230wde5kyboubljt04t1aokg2rbko5p1mealushdfs4rk0h00410.1580509612097205

It's speculation. Nothing has been actually confirmed - the idea was just floated by EA's CEO.

I mean if we're lucky the outrage will be as big as before Sims 4, so they cut that idea again just like last time (a lot of the missing features and simplified stuff in Sims 4 comes from the fact that it was at least partly coded for being Online Multiplayer)
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited January 2020
    Plot twist, they may be adding these online features into The Sims 4, considering the game will be around for years to come.

Might be time to jump ship sooner than you think! Lol
    edited January 2020
    thecatsred wrote: »

The only thing the big wigs at EA know how to do is buy up smaller studios, overwork all their devs, forced them to pump out badly made, rushed games with no heart, and then close the studio and collect on the losses and pay themselves for their hard work.

Exactly. It is a noticeable quality drop when a studio has been bought mid-franchise (like Bioware or Maxis).
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    if sims5 is multiplayer will stick to sims4 as well but will wait until there more info on the sims5
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    What exactly do you mean by "jumping ship"? Done with the sims4?
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited January 2020
    I have concerns about Sims 5 being multi-player/on-line, but until I see a features list for the official release of Sims 5, it's just a CEO spouting buzzwords. For all we know the dev team working on Sims 5 reacted with "Wait, what?" and similar responses using cruder language.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

Keeping in mind that Sims 5 is most likely in active development, the CEO floating it publicly is most likely just planting the idea in there. They're not actually debating what is going on in the game. And Andrew Wilson loves multiplayer.
    logion wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean by "jumping ship"? Done with the sims4?

Done with the franchise, as in not buying Sims 5.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    well who looking forward to sims 6 because mmo just aren't a thing I like
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member

Not just speculation. It’s over-exaggeration and clickbait. Nothing was really explained or shown in the interview. Take that news with a grain of salt.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited February 2020
    I wouldn't be surprised either if it is true. Hopefully, they did learn their lesson when SimCity flopped due to the online element. Part of the reason TS4 is so watered down is that the original build was to focus on online play, which was quickly changed after SimCity became a massive disappointment and commercial mistake. But honestly, I believe the former as I doubt the latter. Yeah, more money for EA, but what about when everyone jumps ship due to boneheaded marketing decisions?

Hopefully, when Paralives is released, it really gives EA a run for their money. While Second Life is vaguely similar to The Sims franchise, it is not exactly the same game even with Will Wright (the Sims creator) on their Board of Directors. So far, Paralives is about as close as it will probably get.

I'm playing a secondhand 11-year-old copy of Sims 2. I've had PS2 games that were useless because they were dependent on their online features. Lots of online games have gone offline, and well, pretty much any game that uses Flash is useless on modern browsers.
    Post edited by cody6268 on
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Hestia wrote: »

Not just speculation. It’s over-exaggeration and clickbait. Nothing was really explained or shown in the interview. Take that news with a grain of salt.

The problem here is that CEO of EA has openly pushed for every single title being online. Because it is far far more profit in that and the "games as services" model. Which is a bubble and already starts to burst, but hey. They never notice that until it's too late. They will ruin about 10 more titles first (they, as in AAA game publishers in general, not just EA).

Not only that, but if Sims 5 is in active development, the decision to have it be MP has already been made. They definitely don't want another Sim City or Anthem debacle, so they'll try to make it more appealing as they don't make money when their games don't sell, but I'd be shocked in the MP parts haven't been at least in design, trying to figure out how to make it work, for quite some time.

Because yes, Andrew Wilson loves multiplayer. And multiplayer and microtransactions come before true innovation. If you have any doubts about that, try playing FIFA 18, 19, and 20 and try to find the differences that require $60 plus a whole slew of new, non-transferable microtransactions.