Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Comments

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    And millions of people watched Two and a Half Men every week. I hope they don’t wear this like a badge of honour.
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    And yet they aren't given a large enough budget to animate elevators properly. Lol.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Tbh they could've kept this
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,181 Member
    It also helps that they gave out so many free and $5 copies of the game in an attempt to build some buzz. But either way that's cool considering the fact that everyone thought the game was a flop.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited January 2020
    I told everyone since 2014 the Sims 4 has outsold all the Sims games combined. o:)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AXTQeSGJjGM
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    After the way they've been promoting the game, such as making it free for a week last year, I'm surprised this didn't come up sooner.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I told everyone since 2014 the Sims 4 has outsold all the Sims games combined. o:)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AXTQeSGJjGM

lol
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    sam123 wrote: »
    And yet they aren't given a large enough budget to animate elevators properly. Lol.

That's what I'm wondering - if it's the "best-selling" game of the franchise then why all the cut corners?The budget seems so small.

They recycle a lot of content and animations too. I'm genuinely curious what's going on.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    20 million unique players for the base game... yet it doesn't feel like they are really improving the game. They have to be working on something else besides the sims4.

• ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I love the Sims 4, but I'm actually really surprised by this financial report. I thought they weren't doing as well as Sims 2 and Sims 3. Didn't the gurus say during the Tiny Living Livestream that they couldn't make bunk beds AND a murphy bed because it would be too expensive? I'm pretty sure I heard them say that bunk beds would be really expensive to add. Or maybe it was ladders. I can't remember exactly. But anyway, it sounded like they were in dire straights, and that's why they only made a murphy bed, just like they only made a camping tent without sleeping bags.

Oh yes, it was bunk beds. From what I understand from the video, after investigation, bunk beds were found to be MORE expensive than murphy beds, like really expensive, and we couldn't have both, because they might have had to teleport Sims into the bunk beds or something to cut down on the cost.

So the Sims 4 has made over a billion dollars? I'm not very good at math. Does this report mean the murphy bed cost something like 999 million dollars to make and there was just nothing left over in the budget for a ladder?

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and I plan to buy the tiny living pack this week, but if they're doing so well, financially, then they should stop acting like starving street orphans straight out of a Charles Dickens novel and splurge a little on the objects they know we want. Just saying.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »
    I love the Sims 4, but I'm actually really surprised by this financial report. I thought they weren't doing as well as Sims 2 and Sims 3. Didn't the gurus say during the Tiny Living Livestream that they couldn't make bunk beds AND a murphy bed because it would be too expensive? I'm pretty sure I heard them say that bunk beds would be really expensive to add. Or maybe it was ladders. I can't remember exactly. But anyway, it sounded like they were in dire straights, and that's why they only made a murphy bed, just like they only made a camping tent without sleeping bags.

Oh yes, it was bunk beds. From what I understand from the video, after investigation, bunk beds were found to be MORE expensive than murphy beds, like really expensive, and we couldn't have both, because they might have had to teleport Sims into the bunk beds or something to cut down on the cost.

So the Sims 4 has made over a billion dollars? I'm not very good at math. Does this report mean the murphy bed cost something like 999 million dollars to make and there was just nothing left over in the budget for a ladder?

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and I plan to buy the tiny living pack this week, but if they're doing so well, financially, then they should stop acting like starving street orphans straight out of a Charles Dickens novel and splurge a little on the objects they know we want. Just saying.

It seems more likely that the parent company decides how and where revenue is allotted, and less likely that an in-game item required just shy of $1 billion US to develop.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Sucessful sales, not sucessful development.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    edited January 2020
    Elliandre wrote: »

Revenue is not the same as cost... but still, the revenue that Maxis seems to generate does not really seem to reflect the scope they have for their packs. Especially stuff packs which apparently do not even have game engineers assigned (which was one reason they said they could not do bunk beds or ladders for tiny living).

• TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    There was a rumor going around towards the end of the Sims 3 reign that money from Sims 3 sales and (store) sales went to fund another EA game.

If true, that is the right of EA to allocate their money where they see fit. However while I do believe the Sims franchise brings them in a nice chunk of change, I don't believe that change gets put back into the Sims franchise as much as it should or could.

I think EA sees the Sims as that game that doesn't need a huge budget but will pull in big cash.
    Perhaps that is why the devs talk of a tight/small budget.

This is all theory based on rumor I heard once upon a time but I do think it's something to consider.

Unfortunately this out of the developers hands if so.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    So where does all the money go to? Definitely not in The „bunk beds are too expensive“ Sims 4.
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    There was a rumor going around towards the end of the Sims 3 reign that money from Sims 3 sales and (store) sales went to fund another EA game.

If true, that is the right of EA to allocate their money where they see fit. However while I do believe the Sims franchise brings them in a nice chunk of change, I don't believe that change gets put back into the Sims franchise as much as it should or could.

I think EA sees the Sims as that game that doesn't need a huge budget but will pull in big cash.

This is all theory based on rumor I heard once upon a time but I do think it's something to consider.

EA are still paying for 200 developers, so that's no small sum to pay every month. But I get the impression that either Maxis or EA do not want to invest too much into the sims4. They would rather that the game is a live-service which provides smaller updates consistently. They would rather release bunk beds or ladders over a year, than release them all with one pack.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited January 2020
    I was exaggerating the amount tremendously it's true, sorry about that, but I have a hard time believing either object was so expensive that they couldn't include it. Maybe it's true, but I just can't believe it. I feel like they chose to save money on what they considered a cheap stuff pack that they felt didn't deserve two great objects. Maybe the objects that feel "missing" are being held for future costlier game or expansion packs, which is what has been hinted at by comments made by simgurufrost and others, that they may come in the future. Six months to two years in the future for all we know, or with a future online store where they can sell them individually and then those objects that feel "missing" are going to perform like "hero sales". This is what I personally think is the case.

If you compare object stuff packs in other games, there is no "one hero object" rule and the packs are designed to be cohesive based on the content theme in order to fulfill customer satisfaction. I really think their problem is that they create rules that don't need to exist and that they undervalue the stuff packs deliberately because they are only $10. Maybe they already know at some point they might want an in-demand object as a selling feature for a more expensive pack. Or maybe they just want to unleash an online store on us, and so are holding objects back that clearly belong with the themes already released.

Overall I think Sims 4 was amazing with the graphics and gameplay and there's no reason they couldn't have made double what they made in sales. Players are rejecting to buy as many expansion, game and stuff packs based on the quality of what's being included and the objects that they feel are missing. Quality is important. Also, someone told me that the FIFA games for EA make almost a billion dollars a year with in-app sales alone and I have a hard time believing someone is not eyeing the objects we want the most as little pots of gold for a future online store. I guess only time will tell.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

Having worked for 20 years in a department that is consistently profitable but got no IT or product support from the company, I can totally believe this. Companies don't always allocate the most resources to the areas that earn a predictable return. And money gets siphoned off for projects that are ultimately abandonned or that reach the market and flop.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member

I wish more people realised this too, instead of trashing the developers because they didn't get what they want.

Anyway, nice to see the Sims 4 doing well though. A lot of people are really enjoying it so it's good to see that it's one of the best sellers <3 Probably also goes to explain why they're keeping it going :)
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • WHW_SimmerWHW_Simmer Posts: 21 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    I wish more people realised this too, instead of trashing the developers because they didn't get what they want.

Anyway, nice to see the Sims 4 doing well though. A lot of people are really enjoying it so it's good to see that it's one of the best sellers <3 Probably also goes to explain why they're keeping it going :)

^^This, one million times this. There are things I want added to the game, and there are various ideas that I've had pop up in my head that I think would improve the game. But I've had lots of fun with Sims 4 thus far, and the addition of the gallery to consoles has really helped in that these past two weeks.

Trust me, I get having critiques of the game and wanting it to be better. But some folks it seems want to hate-play the game. Of course, being a wrestling fan and having visited numerous wrestling related message boards and comments sections, I'm kind of used to that train of thought by now.

"It is now time for our main event of Bob Pancakes vs. Diego Lobo, but here comes Caleb Vatore with an angry holiday gnome! And now here comes Johnny Zest with a cup of vampire cure! It's pandemonium, but we're out of time!"
  • Prink34320V2Prink34320V2 Posts: 156 Member
    Congrats to the team! You guys made a game that is loved by many, and has helped many through their rough patches!

Here's hoping that EA gives the team a bit of a bigger budget, and maybe a bonus ;)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    logion wrote: »

EA are still paying for 200 developers, so that's no small sum to pay every month. But I get the impression that either Maxis or EA do not want to invest too much into the sims4. They would rather that the game is a live-service which provides smaller updates consistently. They would rather release bunk beds or ladders over a year, than release them all with one pack.

Yeah, it's called Less For More.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    ...yeah probably because they gave it away for free and had many sales on it......
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    Thing is IMO these days EA sees Maxis like EA Sports, a division where they can extract the maximum of profit for the absolute minimum of investment, but better as there are no franchises involved who get shirty when things get long in the tooth. And it won't change when for every person who complains about lack of features and bug on the forums, YouTube, reddit and Twitter there are 20 who will buy everything on release day. And the Game Changers program is still structured to make the game changers (many of who are young and impressionable themselves) think they are obliged to be unpaid publicists for EA (despite their claims to have revised it), which is despicable.

Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited January 2020
    The devs didn’t say that bunk beds were too expensive to have period, only too expensive to add to a stuff pack. Because they generally do send that stuff to a third party subcontractor to be animated. They have never said that bunk beds are dead and will never be available either. Since it’s been an uproar I fully expect they will appear at some point just like toddlers and university because since I have joined the community I have seen that once everyone is like a dog with a bone about something it eventually happens.

To my mind, this explains that big survey several days ago about improved relationships for sims, and winter sports and the like. If this series is selling so well still and now that they’re no longer anchored to 32 bit machines, perhaps they’re looking to ways to make the game deeper and to start adding some of the things people have been clamoring for because they can see the potential for a long life expectancy for this iteration. I for one truly hope so after yesterday’s less than stellar news about an online version. 🙁