Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rotation Question

NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
I am playing four households in rotation. Seasons are four weeks long and holidays (Christmas etc) are recreated four times over to allow each family to experience them in turn. Aging is Active only, it’s neatly set up so that everyone is aging at the same pace. It’s doing the season for each in turn then moving on to the next.
The Pancakes (my Sim Breanna and Bob) are technically fourth in the rotation. They now have a toddler, Natasha. Breanna is also unexpectedly (risky woohoo) pregnant again. Because I rotate on a strict schedule (Sunday morning), I’m supposed to move away before this second baby is born.

Should I rotate on schedule (and fix up any minor issues like baby being born/named) when I come back around to Pique Hearth OR should I stick with the Pancakes just a little longer, to birth the baby? Though this will almost certainly run into a Christmas holiday and cause a large spanner in the works/clink in the machine.

Rotation Question 40 votes

Rotate to schedule. (Pancakes will be fine and/or can be fixed up later).
37%
SimmervilleelanorbretonloubyloulouMindofyspice3Girklannaliese39DoloresGreyluxsylvanmusteniMHsimsFansilentcyborgAmandèleDaepheneDaWaterRat 15 votes
Stick with the Pancakes a bit longer. Birth the baby.
62%
LaBlue0314UnDutchablelisamwittIsb917GoldenBuffyluthienrisingStevieSaysAquariusMomtaydevemereCookinCookieEnkiSchmidtEgonVMRedShoe7LinzzHayleeSimsVivi_WillowTreeStina1701Aalyssa123Drakos 25 votes

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Whenever there is a pregnancy I always stay with the family, that way I can control what the name of the baby is.
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited January 2020
    I let my Sims have the kids without me if necessary and then just briefly switch lifespan to long in order to have them stay that age as long as needed without pausing everyone else. It works well because even if someone is supposed to have a birthday before the baby, you can always still do that earlier. Can't always wait though. I'd rather do that than ripple into the rhythm of the other household's by staying on one longer than the others.

Alternatively, in situations like this I've also stayed longer like you suggest and then just stay longer on each household for a full cycle. Then you can switch back to normal.

P.s. I also switch on Sunday mornings! But I have too many household's to repeat the seasons well, so each household gets one season (weeklong setting)
  • Options
    LinzzLinzz Posts: 323 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    Whenever there is a pregnancy I always stay with the family, that way I can control what the name of the baby is.

I do the same thing.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I use MCCC settings so that if a baby is born in a played family that is not active I still get the pop up allowing me to name the baby. (I used to have it for all babies, not just unactive played households but I got wAY too many notifications haha!)
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited January 2020
    I would stick with the schedule. You can change the baby(ies ;) ) name later when they are in toddler age. Not a biggie IMO :)
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited January 2020
    I always stay with the family so I can send them to the hospital to get the baby's birth certificate. I'm not sure if you can get this certificate any other way, but I like to hang it in the baby's room.
  • Options
    MHsimsFanMHsimsFan Posts: 154 Member
    If you are using MCC you can actually pause the pregnancy before you rotate. I do this all the time when playing my rotation so that the baby has to wait for me to return :)
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    After missing out on a birth due to rotation, I now stay with the family until the baby is born before moving onto the next house. I don't have Seasons, so holidays aren't an issue for me.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Personally I don't follow any kind of schedule in my rotation, but since you do I say stick with it.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Most of my babies are born when I am not playing that house these days. I just change the name in manage households once they are toddlers.
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    MHsimsFan wrote: »
    If you are using MCC you can actually pause the pregnancy before you rotate. I do this all the time when playing my rotation so that the baby has to wait for me to return :)

Thanks a whole bunch @MHsimsFan. I didn’t even know that was possible. I just looked up on the MCCC documentation how that would work. It seems the best of both worlds. Rotate on time (and keep the holidays etc) but get to birth the baby too. <3
    I am even going to leave her paused an extra day or two when I get back so she can enjoy Christmas with her family of three before they become a family of four.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I always stay with the family throughout a pregnancy and birth but I also don't follow a strict schedule when rotating. I wouldn't be very attached if I were to just let it automatically happen. I'm also flexible about what household I'm in during a holiday too.

For you, I'd make a decision based on whether you are more attached to going through the experience or following the schedule. I rotate based on events or milestones more than anything. I like to make sure that I'm at a stopping point with a household before going to the next. That makes it easier to pick up when I go back. It's like rotating based on chapters in a sim's life.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    My strict scedule has officially left the building few months ago, but before then, I always stuck around and still do until a baby is born. Not just to be able to choose a name but also maybe to influence the sex of the baby with vegetables and music. I sometimes stay until the baby grows into a toddler to be able to choose the trait of the toddler.
  • Options
    LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    From the moment I learned about rotational play, I have not played any other way. I use time differently, depending on what I am doing. I am currently building a new world, so I have turned time off completely. Once the world is complete, and I start rotating through those households I have decided to play, I will turn time on, alternating between on for all families and on only for family played. I do this because there are circumstances like college, pregnancies and others, where you need to control the flow of time. For your baby situation I would turn time on only for family played. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    MHsimsFanMHsimsFan Posts: 154 Member
    NRowe wrote: »
    MHsimsFan wrote: »

Thanks a whole bunch @MHsimsFan. I didn’t even know that was possible. I just looked up on the MCCC documentation how that would work. It seems the best of both worlds. Rotate on time (and keep the holidays etc) but get to birth the baby too. <3
    I am even going to leave her paused an extra day or two when I get back so she can enjoy Christmas with her family of three before they become a family of four.

Yes, it works awesome. I am holding out hope that MCC will develop something similar for University so you can pause your sims progress and still maintain rotation. My wish list, I suppose.