Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How does a first year college student eat?

It's my first time playing university and my sim is living in one of the FoxBury Institute's dorms. There appears to be no kitchen there. I went to the commons -- it looks like they a decorative item that looks like a cafeteria setup -- but again, seems completely unusable.

Is the little food stand with some snacks really the only way to eat in this situation??
F8wHsKZ.png

Comments

• Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member
    there is a person that shows up and runs the little food stand if you wait there for a minute
  • Carpbeat24Carpbeat24 Posts: 987 Member
    Is that the one outside or the "cafeteria" type deal inside the commons?
    F8wHsKZ.png
  • DCJ504DCJ504 Posts: 116 Member
    The cafeteria in the commons has set hours for ordering food. I think if you hover over it you will see when the next service time should be.
  • Carpbeat24Carpbeat24 Posts: 987 Member
    Ok -- great that worked. Thank you so much!

One more question -- if I were to send a sim off to college and play another household -- will they complete their education on their own? Thanks.
    F8wHsKZ.png
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, you can go to the commons during the hours of meal times or you can buy a mini-fridge and microwave.

Roommates used to bring random meals too but I think that might have been nerfed. I liked that feature but some people complained. I used to swipe plates into my student's fridge for later. I thought the lobster thermidor on the occasions that I saw it was funny.

You can also go to the little coffee stand for a pastry or you can find stands that are open during special events. You can also go to the pub and eat bar food.

I don't know, I don't have a problem with going to the commons sometimes. My sim would study there until the meals were available. Depends on the sim though.

A sim can live off campus and have a kitchen. I think the pack is like this because if the dorms had kitchens then all the university students would end up as master chefs especially if aging is off during university.

I don't know, I think it is part of the university experience. I remember eating some kind of bizarre powderized chicken soup and really cheap stuff in cans that I would not eat now. I also remember eating meals in the cafeteria anytime they were offered ... rather than eating some of the weird things that I found on my own. I was so cheap that I would buy a small packet of fries with no burger or meal. Eating out was a big treat that had to involve traveling in a group. Someone else I know scrounged for food at their job for as many meals as possible. I remember the fire alarm going off at weird hours due to people doing things like frying bacon at 3 am. Admittedly, there was a small kitchen but I can see why it would be banned.

I've also been told a story about someone who got through university by making grilled cheese sandwiches with an iron.

I think people are assuming that students all cook like other adults. I think it's possible to turn a dorm into a private residence and add a kitchen.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited January 2020
    LIKE THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND! Roomies are always bringing over Lobster Thermidor, Monte Cristo sammies, and rotisserie chickens 😂😂 I sock them away in my mini fridge for future meals.

Usually, after class I send them to the cafeteria commons to nosh and hobnob. Sometimes the cafeteria worker hasn’t arrived for their shift yet. You can hover over the counter to see what time they’ll start serving. If you have to wait awhile, use the time to complete homework or pick up some new pals.
  • PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    s33man wrote: »
    It's my first time playing university and my sim is living in one of the FoxBury Institute's dorms. There appears to be no kitchen there. I went to the commons -- it looks like they a decorative item that looks like a cafeteria setup -- but again, seems completely unusable.

Is the little food stand with some snacks really the only way to eat in this situation??

I have been playing University since I bought it before Christmas and have found that eating at Uni has been the hardest part for my Sims. The Sims manning the food units take ages to turn up when my Sim is starving, and food is going off in the Dorms continually.

This is not so much of a problem when you are taking a seasoned Sim to university with lots of skills and rewards to help them. If you are like me and want a challenge of taking a Sim with very few skills and virtually no reward items, then eating can be a bit of a problem.

At Foxbury I mostly ignore the food units in the ground and the free food in the Foxbury Commons. I put in a kitchen in the Common Room with fridge, cooker, kitchen units, sink etc. Food could be made and keep fresher in the fridge. It also helped my Sims that wanted to do Culinary/Cooking degrees to get skill points. I kept the free food server in the commons as useful if simoleons are tight.

In the dorm I bought a small fridge to keep the food made by Dormies fresher. I also put a microwave on top for emergencies. You can put these in a Sim's inventory and take with you or can buy a fridge at the University shop.

I play a vanilla game with out mods or custom content. I have all EP's, GP's and most SP's
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    There are also grills on both campuses you can cook with. I most recently was playing in the dorms at britechester and was surprised to find a grill that didn’t require a loading screen to get to after all the outrage.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited January 2020
    s33man wrote: »
    One more question -- if I were to send a sim off to college and play another household -- will they complete their education on their own? Thanks.

When you switch households, the student Sim in the original household will complete that term if you're off playing another family long enough, I believe a Sim week or however long they had left in the term.

If you were to switch back to them, you will see they have completed the term and they may even end up on probation if they happened to do poorly in some classes. If it was their last term before graduation, it's possible they can graduate without you and already have their degree.

Personally, I don't like this one bit. I wish they froze in time. I play with free will on so maybe if you play with free will off, they won't advance and everything will freeze? I really can't speak on that part.