Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BG Only: Dating - suddenly "Ask on Date" takes me to the neighborhood screen

Now when a Sim asks another to go on a date, instead of going to whatever hangout they were going to (still new to the game so I've no idea where they head), it's taking me to the neighborhood screen. There have been 3 changes to my game since before this happened and wondering if anyone knows what it might be.

Let me preface by saying that I'm still not much of a fan and that I'm not pleased with the way the Sims seem to NOT hitch up. So far, the only Sims that have gotten married are those I've played and forced to it.. Literally forced to it. I had a neighborhood of old, single sims (aging sucks, too). So...

First, I found instructions for changing the aging lengths in the MC cfg file, so I did that. Then I went back into the game and went around to the Sims and changed the elders back to Adults, adjust the days in (not all the same), etc. Then, when my Sims still refused to make friends or do much of anything, I decided that the time I was having to spend with each Sim trying to get them to have friends, get married, get jobs, etc., was still a waste of time so I turned again off.

Second, since there aren't that many Sims in the neighborhood, I had 4 empty lots in the upper part of the neighborhood (Willow Creek) and I decided to put houses on all those lots with a variety of Sim tenants. So there are no empty residential lots. Could that be a problem?

Third, another update with Origin.

I honestly can't remember exactly if the dating issue occurred before or after any of the above. I honestly keep forgetting about that option with TS4 being a closed neighborhood. I do think I'd at least done the first thing before I noticed the issue.

What I've done this evening is to uncheck the Mods/Script in settings to check and it didn't make a difference. I then removed the Mods and the few CC items just to make sure and no change.

Insight?

Comments

• Options
    CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • Options
    columbia93columbia93 Posts: 319 Member
    I don't see how. I know that before, when doing dates, the Simmies go to a hangout like in a downtown area. When it goes to the neighborhood map, the only thing there are residences. I'm fairly certain that if I click on someone's home, that won't be a date! However, perhaps my "dating" experience has been with receiving calls. I know that when I choose "travel", I get the neighborhood screen. Seems like there is something wrong but what would it be?
  • Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited January 2020
    If you/your sim ask/s another sim for a date, you can choose any public lot and even your sim's home. If you are asked by an NPC sim, the NPC 'tells' you where to go.
    Edit: If it isn't like that in your game, you should test without mods, clear cache files and repair your game via Origin.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    columbia93 wrote: »
    I don't see how. I know that before, when doing dates, the Simmies go to a hangout like in a downtown area. When it goes to the neighborhood map, the only thing there are residences. I'm fairly certain that if I click on someone's home, that won't be a date! However, perhaps my "dating" experience has been with receiving calls. I know that when I choose "travel", I get the neighborhood screen. Seems like there is something wrong but what would it be?

You can pick to go anywhere even with the date option. All the worlds are available to select so if the game is first suggesting a world where you mostly have residential lots, just choose another world from the top corner.

About the sims aging and not finding partners on their own, that's just how the game works. Many people like rotational play for that reason or go for mods.
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    What you've described is normal. When you ask a sim for a date, you have to decide where to go, so the game takes you to the map view. You can choose your sim's home, your date's home, or any community lot. The game will not let you choose other homes.

This isn't TS3, TS2, or TS1, so don't try to decide what's normal from what you learned in those games.
  • Options
    shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 255 Member
    Gagea wrote: »
    If you/your sim ask/s another sim for a date, you can choose any public lot and even your sim's home. If you are asked by an NPC sim, the NPC 'tells' you where to go.
    Edit: If it isn't like that in your game, you should test without mods, clear cache files and repair your game via Origin.

Also I would add, Delete localthumbnailcache.package in sims 4 folder of your documents. That sneaky little thing retains coded info about how your version of the game is setup.
    Any changes you make to the games files any time, you must delete that file and the game rebuilds a new one next startup.

And I understand exactly your second paragraph and how you feel.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I was thinking about this last night when I was supposed to be sleeping and I'm guessing I just hadn't asked anyone on a date so my only experience is going "out", so out of town. I assumed that my Sims would be able to date and create families without my interference but apparently that isn't so. I've been fighting this game (Ts4) since I first played it and it's one step forward, two steps back, every time. Not having free range, I hate. I don't understand why they didn't at least let the simmies mingle in the same set of 5 puny houses without having to travel. It means that if I want to keep an eye out on sims at home next door, I have to travel back and forth, which is really stupid. While I don't remember much about TS1, I know that my families in TS2& TS3 were able to get jobs, meet partners, have families, etc. With the "normal" aging so short in this game, rotating turned into its own nightmare. I did manually change those days, even though that doesn't take into account that pregnancy retards aging through the process - again, asinine.

But all of those old single sims serve no purpose. They don't move the game or story forward. And with the limited neighborhoods (5 lots & 3 "blocks in Willow Creek), there just aren't enough other sims to partner up. I've read/watched a couple of interviews where EA developers talk about how quickly they were able to program TS4 because of not having to deal with the CAS patterns and open world and it really feels like they sold out. It's pretty obvious that they tried to build a multi-platform game that doesn't work well on any platform. But oh, the lovely money.....

Anyway, pondering the whole date thing kinda p***ed me off because it is apparent that what I'd read about EA leaving so much out in order to make even more off this game appears to be true. The 2nd and 3rd EPs both address the issue of mingling Sims (I guess) so it's pretty apparent EA understood they'd left out what they could make even more money from. 32 packs and counting. (TS3 only had 20 and was a far superior game.)
  • Options
    Of course, since I don't want to do things the easy way.... I've been playing Newcrest, not Willow Creek. Had I played one of the first two worlds, I'd have seen community lots in the world and wouldn't have asked this question. There is no community in Newcrest. Such small worlds seemed like a "downtown" area would be off world, like it was in Ts2. With 5 community lots like in Willow Creek, that only leaves 10 houses! How do we build a community with those numbers!
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited January 2020
    Sorry you find you need to fight with the game. A couple of tips that I have done in my rotation. 1st I have aging set to active household only. That way it works like in TS2, only the household I play ages. 2nd You can ruthlessly bulldoze any prebuilt house you have to to create your own community. Willow Creek and Oasis Springs are slightly bigger worlds than Newcrest. There's something like 20 lots so putting all three together it's over 50 lots to work with.
    Post edited by musteni on
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member

You can click on the world icon in the upper left of the neighborhood screen to select which world to go to. From there, you can select the venue. As for making relationships easier, try working on the friendship, first, and then throw in a bit of romance to get that lower pink bar filling up. Do lots of interactions between friendship and romance and voila, you'll have the relationship you're seeking. Sometimes it can happen very quickly. I've had a pair of Sims go out on a date and by the end of said date, they are engaged. I hope this helps you. It's tough when you're new to a game. Is this your first Sims game?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options

You can click on the world icon in the upper left of the neighborhood screen to select which world to go to. From there, you can select the venue. As for making relationships easier, try working on the friendship, first, and then throw in a bit of romance to get that lower pink bar filling up. Do lots of interactions between friendship and romance and voila, you'll have the relationship you're seeking. Sometimes it can happen very quickly. I've had a pair of Sims go out on a date and by the end of said date, they are engaged. I hope this helps you. It's tough when you're new to a game. Is this your first Sims game?

Sorry I didn't get back to you. Like I said, I chose Newcrest so I had NO IDEA about community lots. I did go to a club on some dates but I assumed it was a separate world, like we had in TS2. It wasn't until I saw your post, that I even realized that I could travel easily to other worlds. I knew the buttons were the other worlds but I assume it would be like TS3! I know, making a lot of assumptions and far too much experience with previous versions.

I have turned aging off for everyone for the time until I can get everyone working toward adulthood, which means I don't really have a favorite Sim like I did with the other games. I also changed the aging days for when I turn it back on. I'm really so disappointed with this game, much as I figured I would be, and have pretty much decided not to purchase additional packs. This version really is pretty pathetic.
  • Options
    I've been playing for 20 years. I am new to TS4 and probably won't go further. And this is more than just being new to this version because I've dealt with romance, aging, etc., in all the various versions and never has there been one this ridiculous. Not only have they eliminated the ability to see if the sims are compatible, they've taken away autonomy, even with it checked. Having Sims NOT getting married on their own is something completely unlike any other pack. I've had a favorite sim in TS3 get married to a stranger in 1 day while spending a Sim day in the neighborhood checking to see if other sims are moving forward! In this game, if left unattended, I end up with a game full of unmarried elders. Bizarre since it seems that TS4 was meant to be more about relationships than the other characteristics previously seen.
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I have turned aging off for everyone for the time until I can get everyone working toward adulthood, which means I don't really have a favorite Sim like I did with the other games. I also changed the aging days for when I turn it back on. I'm really so disappointed with this game, much as I figured I would be, and have pretty much decided not to purchase additional packs. This version really is pretty pathetic.

Well, your first mistake coming in to sims 4 was expecting it to be sims 3 or sims 2. It's not. Gameplay was dumbed down as a sacrifice for those with poor computers. There are mods and ways to enjoy Sims 4, but since you came into it with such a negative attitude and also didn't bother to like, Look At Anything or even click around to figure out how things worked, it's no wonder you got lost (in the empty town). There's no story progression in sims 4 without mods. With mods you can get that back.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    thecatsred wrote: »

Well, your first mistake coming in to sims 4 was expecting it to be sims 3 or sims 2. It's not. Gameplay was dumbed down as a sacrifice for those with poor computers. There are mods and ways to enjoy Sims 4, but since you came into it with such a negative attitude and also didn't bother to like, Look At Anything or even click around to figure out how things worked, it's no wonder you got lost (in the empty town). There's no story progression in sims 4 without mods. With mods you can get that back.

I don't think it would be too horrible if I were to tell you to "jump off". You're obviously a very nasty person who likes to troll and can offer nothing of value other than your pathetic attempts at self-promotion. You have no idea what I've done, pretty much indicating that you are the negative one making a lot of assumptions. It might be best if you just crawled back into your hole because it's clear, sadly, that you really have nothing to offer. Dang, what a child you are.
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    edited February 2020
    I don't make mods. I've nothing to promote. I'm just telling you, that if you come into this game expecting it to be exactly like previous ones, it's no wonder you're going to be upset at how it plays. You want story progression. Sims 4 doesn't have that without mods, as I said. You can get mods that give you story progression, but if you want to enjoy this game more fully, you need to set aside memories from sims 2 and sims 3, and work with what the game does have. It's limited, yes. I absolutely understand your frustration. I don't understand why neighborhoods are not open entirely, and that I have to get a loading screen to visit a neighbor. It's stupid but unfortunately there's not a lot to be done about it.

However if you've got a sim at home and one traveling, the one at home has options - study skill, take care of themselves, sleep, whatever, so you don't have to load back to the main house when you're out and about, most of the time the sims at home are in stasis. The worlds aren't locked off from each other, as you've been told. When you have all the packs, you'll see people from every world walking around community lots and doing whatever. Some take up jobs as NPCs don't exist anymore so occasionally you'll see a sim you played before acting as barkeep. It can be weird but I try to keep some "npc" style sims homeless or jobless in my save files so my sims who work from home aren't out moonlighting as a mixologist when in reality they'd be chilling at home.

Trying to micromanage all the sims in the neighborhood is going to drive you bonkers if you don't like taking the time to do relationships manually (it can take a while sometimes). I suggest you get the UI Cheats mod (https://www.patreon.com/posts/ui-cheats-v1-16-26240068) that allows you to right click on any sim and change their relationship instantly. You can also instantly assign skills (as long as they have 1 point), job performance, aspiration goals, etc. This way if you turn off aging, you can "set up" each household how you like, but without mods like MCC you won't get many autonomous babies or anything like that happening without your intervention.

Once you've got things kinda going how you prefer, I'd save this as a backup, and then play in a new save file in case something goes wrong you have your own "base" world ready to go.

Playing with long-ages, or aging off is how I personally play because it allows me to spend more time with individual sims. Turning off aging for sims other than the active household also helps. If you want your sim's kids to age up with them use this (https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/175405130678/let-friends-age-up-i-like-to-play-with-aging-off) so their schoolmates won't always be children.

You just need to take some time to get to know the game first before getting frustrated at the fact it doesn't work like previous sims games. That's all.