March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dollars per hours of entertainment (Sims 4 purchases)

Sometimes we like to complain about the cost of Sims, well I just added up all the Sims 4 items I've purchased.
Most except for some EP's were purchased on half price sales, I have all excluding: Moschino, My First Pet, Movie Hangout, Halloween and Luxury Party.

My first purchase was 30/12/2015 so i'll call it 4 years of play for ease of numbers:
All up I have spent $696.68 AUD
I have played Sims 4 for 709 hours over those 4 years.

that means essentially 98c/hour of entertainment --so $1 for each hour of gameplay, or $15/month over the four years.
Of course, the more I play the cheaper/hour the game gets!

I know there are cheaper games out there, like Skyrim, but really, a cinema ticket (even on sale) is about $15 for 2h of entertainment. A coffee is $5 for 15 min of 'entertainment'.

Sims is cheap, my friends!

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I own all the packs. I bought a lot on sale though. But I still can’t imagine how much I’ve spent! I’m sure it’s an embarrassing amount.
  • DanaanhornDanaanhorn Posts: 38 Member
    edited January 2020
    I own all the packs, paid full price for all of it, its $996.29 CAD. I've played it for 2960 hours so it's like, 34c/hour of entertainment for me lol.
    Which really isn't that bad at all. In USD that's $757.78 total cost and 26c/hour of entertainment.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited January 2020
    I wouldn't say that it is 'cheap', since it depends on the number of hours we play. The hours spent are variable. Not everyone is playing the same amount of hours & spent the amount of money. For example, if one has spent $1,000 and only have been played for 100 hours, means that, their 'entertainment value' is $10/hour. In fact, the entertainment value is quite subjective. Plus, it's also having a 'decremental value' (bugs, new hardware, etc.) after years + with constant sales, although with patches (free items), it can be considered adding in the value. So, I won't just simply say that, it's cheap, but so far, it's worth of money, if we purchased it wisely. Just my 2 cents.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • PebblycatPebblycat Posts: 861 Member
    I found this really interesting so I worked it out too!
    I've played since the beginning and have all packs and I got the collectors edition base game. I've only bought one pack on special :#

All up I've spent: $999.64AUD
    Total hours spent playing: 3596hrs

So for me its about .27c/hour of entertainment
    My Origin ID: Pebblycat
    Visit Pebblycat's Showcase to see what I've created
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I made a comment about this the other day actually. I have spent 45 cents/hour (Canadian $) so far (about 1300hr)

The real question for me shouldn't be am I spending to much money, rather am I spending too much time on it? Lol! BUt it's just so fun... haha!
  • Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    edited January 2020
    I never would have lasted without mods, to be honest. The vanilla gameplay is just not really much gameplay, just stuff you can use. Sims are all the same, except they look different. With mods I can atleast get some kind of semblance of a personality, but even mods can't fully make them feel more alive. This is the one spot I wish the Sims team would put effort on.

Make Sims Matter!
    You're Breathtaking!
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited January 2020
    I'm going to count mine when I get back home. But how should I treat the expansions I received as gifts or won in a giveaway? No added cost?
    Post edited by musteni on
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    I'm going to count mine when I get back home. But how should I treat the expansions I received as gifts or won in a giveaway? No added cost?

You can only add the cost of programs you actually paid for, and you add the cost per hour still using what you paid out of pocket Imho.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • cutefrutypiecutefrutypie Posts: 39 Member
    I just realize that Sims 4, the best job or hbbie well paid is art, overcoming the other jobs. And in reality, well for my case isnt.
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    put in around £110 on a guess, but i have 2,200 hours in now. roughly 50p.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited January 2020
    I have almost everything apart from a couple of stuff packs, put everything together and that makes 398€. According to Origin I have played 3364 hours. So I end up with 12c/hour. Have played about four years. I suspect it will get a bit more expensive for me as I still like to buy packs, but don't play with the same ethusiasm as in the beginning.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I have everything but didn't pay full cost on most of it. I reckon I've spent about £500.

I will have to check how many hours I've played next time I'm on my computer.
  • PurrrmeowPurrrmeow Posts: 30 Member
    Boy do I like the way you think! ;) makes me feel less awful for all the money I've spent on a virtual life.
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I've paid just under £300 for TS4 total, have almost everything (no vampires, MFPS, luxury party or tiny living). Lots of sales, plus a couple of gifts. I've actually got a spreadsheet with how much I paid for each pack and then calculating how much I've saved and cost per hour. I've paid on average 52.3% of the cost price for each pack (a couple of gifts bring it down a bit, plus I've never bought anything at full price, only sales and bundles). I've spend 1030 tracked hours online on origin, so currently at 28.9 pence per hour (would be even less with offline play time, but I can't track that). So overall I'm pretty happy with the value I've got out of it, I think it's pretty good :).
  • ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Oh wow, suddenly I feel kind of bad about my 718 hours since last May XD

Anyway, I'm on AU$504.60 (just missing four SPs), so about 70 cents an hour. Not quite as good as some others here, but that cost is only going to drop. And yeah, like you said, it's like $15 for a two-hour movie, so it's pretty dang good in comparison. Some people go out to the movies or to hear live music every week! For me, I have the Sims.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Sometimes we like to complain about the cost of Sims, well I just added up all the Sims 4 items I've purchased.
    Most except for some EP's were purchased on half price sales, I have all excluding: Moschino, My First Pet, Movie Hangout, Halloween and Luxury Party.

My first purchase was 30/12/2015 so i'll call it 4 years of play for ease of numbers:
    All up I have spent $696.68 AUD
    I have played Sims 4 for 709 hours over those 4 years.

that means essentially 98c/hour of entertainment --so $1 for each hour of gameplay, or $15/month over the four years.
    Of course, the more I play the cheaper/hour the game gets!

I know there are cheaper games out there, like Skyrim, but really, a cinema ticket (even on sale) is about $15 for 2h of entertainment. A coffee is $5 for 15 min of 'entertainment'.

Sims is cheap, my friends!

I own all the packs, don't know exactly how much I spent but I never understood people's complaint over the price. And for people who cannot afford it they have a lot of sales. When I use to play playstation, me or my parents would spend about 40 dollars for a new game, I'd play for while, finish it then go to the next game for 40 dollars.

But with sims I'm actually expanding the same game (which I think is the coolest thing ever) and I put way more hours into this than any video game. The replay value is way higher than the average video game. So much that I've given up playstation all together. So the price seems like a dream to me.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,859 Member
    To me, and this is just my own opinion, but I kind of feel like I've gotten my money's worth at $1 an hour, so I would have to have played a whole lot more than I have so far to get there, but I will eventually. I did so for Sims 1-3.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I have all the packs and the standard base game totaling $757.78 US. At 5775 hours played my cost has come to $0.13 per hour. I'm getting bang for my buck.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2020
    I have everything bought at full price. I've played 2408 hours since season released. I have no regrets. I failed maths in school so I'm not even going to attempt to work out how much per hour. :D
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Admittedly, I've underspent on the packs and even the BG (sales are my friend) but my cost per hour comes to 10c as of now. I don't have all the packs & I've upped the cost a bit because there were a few times I didn't exit the game when I wasn't actively playing.

Definitely getting value for my expenses though. Would have even if I'd paid full price for every pack I own. (about 20c/hr. Yes, I spend too much time playing)
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    I'm close to 8k hours, and it was worth every dollars.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I've played 4312 hours since the Sims 4 came out in September of 2013 and have paid full price US for everything. I'll take the word of others that it's been $757.78. It comes to 5 1/2 cents per hour. Worth every penny.
  • ButteredToastButteredToast Posts: 47 Member
    I only started playing early 2019 when EA gave out Sims 4 for free and hooked me. Frustrations with Sims 3 made me given up on the Sims franchise to be honest. I decided to dip my toe back into Sims only because I could get Sims 4 for free. Since then I have spent 318 CAD on packs (I don't own them all...yet and bought them on sale). I have played for 789 hours so far. So 318 CAD/789 hours = 40 cent/hour.