March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gameplay Discussion: What does Knitting in The Sims mean to YOU?

Comments

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Rocking chair for all ages please
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    I’d love to see knitting incorporated into other packs. Lots of people have already mentioned that cats and toddlers should be able to play with yarn (yes please!). We should also be able to knit clothes for pets and all ages. I wanna knit dog hats.

But I’d also like to see knitting incorporated into Seasons. Knitting stockings that can be assigned to specific sims and father winter will leave gifts in, especially. But it’d also be nice to be able to knit seasonal decor all year. Ugly Winter Sweater parties as a new Party type. Knitting circles as a new club.

Knitting should definitely be available to kids, and the game should incorporate family gameplay as much as possible. It’d be so neat if you could knit a baby blanket or baby toy that the kids then cherish as toddlers and get inseparable from and fussy without, like Linus’s blanket in Charlie Brown. (I realize this is a stuff pack BUT, if you wanted to bring back Imaginary Friends, this would definitely be a way! A high skilled knitter could knit a very special toy and gift it to a toddler.)

It’d also be a nice gameplay touch to incorporate some version of The Sweater Curse. Where knitting something for your boyfriend/girlfriend is supposed to guarantee a breakup. It’d be neat if giving knitted gifts generally gave big bonus points to a relationship, but there was a chance (or a specific set of circumstances) that it could trigger a sudden relationship drop or increased likelihood of romance interactions failing.

Mischief sims being able to sabotage or unravel knits (hopefully not autonomously or often, or it’d be frustrating) would also make sense.

I love the idea of knits being able to shrink in the wash.

And I literally don’t care how you do it, but I love silly deaths, and a new death makes me like 20 times more likely to buy a stuff pack. A silly knitting failure death (if you knit with low skill in a bad enough mood) would make me laugh.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • rabidkitty07rabidkitty07 Posts: 416 Member
    I don't know if it has been suggested, but as I am an active knitter and crocheter... I post pictures to social media from time to time of projects I work on.
    My Origin ID: rabidkitty7

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Oh gosh, I totally missed this thread! I'm throwing in now...

1. As I look into my crystal ball of the future of this pack, I see a knitting skill where each skill level or every other level higher increases the chance of perfection. So everything below top tier has a chance of coming out flawed. This results in lopsided/creepy/unusual outcomes. Maybe somewhere in the mid range a Sim could still use the item, but it looks shabby or, in the case of dolls and teddys, disturbing. I like the idea of a Sim being able to wear a sweater with one longer arm and holes in it. (We really need some shabbier clothes anyway.) But the "flawed" dolls and plushies could have maybe a "tense" aura around them (really wish we had Fear, nudge, nudge), make Sims uncomfortable, especially kids and toddlers...but not for the creator. So maybe each knitted item has a tag for who made it. Like, if a child created a flawed plushy, he might still like it and be pleased, but his siblings would think it's creepy. And a well-meaning grandparent could make a toy for their grandchild, but it results in a mid-range failure and the toddler bursts into tears because it scares them. That way, Vampire and Spellcaster children could make, have and gift "weird" toys that they could play with, but still have them be bad for other kids, lol. True Wednesday Addams style. Even if it was just one doll or plushy type that did this and the rest were "normal", I'd be happy.

I'd also really like to see cats play with yarn. Also, dogs could try to play ball with it and Toddlers could get tangled. Any of these would have a possibility of interrupting the flow of the knitting project, adding a chance to create a flawed item. But I think that if a Sim masters the skill, those chances should be slim to none. They're total pros.

But seriously. Cats and yarn. So cliche but sooo cute! <3

2. This suggestion is a little out there, but I'm putting it in for the Happy Haunts runner-ups. Imagine this, if you will. A family member dies whilst your Sim is rocking away, knitting another project, minding their own business. The Grim Reaper shows up to take what's his, when the knitter approaches and suddenly busts out a perfect knitted project from their inventory. Your Sim says, "Hey there, Grimmy. I noticed those bony, cold hands of yours. I bet they get really chilled and blistered, holding that scythe. I just happen to have this cozy pair of arm warmers in a deadly shade of black. Would you like them in exchange for more alive time with my father/sister/child/cat?" And Grimmy says, "So...soft. So...snuggly. It's like wearing a hug on my hands...mehr!" And he makes the exchange and the soul is spared and the house is happy again. OR... When checking out the soul on his I-Pad, he looks up and says, "Oh my. What a lovely knitted Ebony Afgan that is. I sure could use a unique gift to bring home to the missus for her deathday. How would you feel about trading it for your brother-in-law's immortal soul?" And your Sim shrugs and says, "Sure."

... who needs Death Flowers?

3. Someone said something about different knitting moods like Tense or Sad to go with lower skill levels. I had a vision of my Sim walking down the Spice District in San Myshuno, when suddenly they see this ragtag, lonely knitter, sitting on a bench outside their apartment building, clad in lousy, holey knitted projects, lip quivering as they struggle to get their stitch right, looking miserable, but determined to finish that scarf for their sister's birthday. I like this thought. Am I monster? Perhaps. But I would be a highly entertained, Knitting Stuff Pack-owning monster.

That's all I've got at this time. I'm sure everyone is relieved.

#Team Occult
  • EMCba2600EMCba2600 Posts: 38 Member
    I, for one, think that it would be a great animation if your sims could poke themselves with the needles if they weren't on a very high skill level of knitting (see also: while cooking for the first few times, your sims will cut themselves with knives accidentally.) That was a really cool, more realistic feature and I'd like to see its equivalent in the knitting portion of the new stuff pack.
    Origin ID: EMCba2600
    tumblr
    Daily Updates and More!
  • MyTrueLoveTS1MyTrueLoveTS1 Posts: 32 Member
    > @ravynwolvf said:
    > One thing that would help gameplay overall would be to tweak the yard sale tables so you could set one up in your yard (or anywhere, for that matter) and actually have sims stop and buy things (like knitted items). They really don't do much of anything as they are now (why they don't do anything is another question). There's a gap between just dropping items from your inventory onto the sell icon and opening a full blown store. I think a lot of people would like to have a way to make small amounts of money somewhat realistically.

I really agree with this! I've always wanted my sims to sell homemade goods in a farmers market type setting. Sims SHOULD actually make a good profit to ballence out how long sim interaction involving a purchase takes.
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    EMCba2600 wrote: »
    I, for one, think that it would be a great animation if your sims could poke themselves with the needles if they weren't on a very high skill level of knitting (see also: while cooking for the first few times, your sims will cut themselves with knives accidentally.) That was a really cool, more realistic feature and I'd like to see its equivalent in the knitting portion of the new stuff pack.

That would be cool, but on the flip side of that, PLEASE don't make the knitting sims poke themselves every other second, like they shock, hammer, and pinch themselves at the robotics table. Balance is a wonderful thing; embrace it for once.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    EMCba2600 wrote: »

I like the idea, but in my experience, poking yourself with the knitting needle isn't very common, even for beginners. Those things are long and you're only holding one end. It's not like sewing, where the average needle is shorter than your thumb.
  • annalephantannalephant Posts: 98 Member
    having recently taken a trip to A&E (emergency room) having impaled myself on a double pointed needle whilst knitting socks, i do think there is real potential for a knitting related death.

This time it was my hand, in the gap between my index and middle finger (yep, it plumming hurt A LOT) but previously i have sat on a needle, even sat on a pair of scissors that impaled my thigh and i have a friend who actually impaled a boob with a knitting needle.

You are welcome for those visions you are now having....
  • Hyper_KeyHyper_Key Posts: 26 Member
    Unless Elders/adults can teach their (grand)children, yes CHILDREN, to knit i don't think i would be interested in it. I'm tired of all the content just being targeted to Teens and adults. Maybe Elders are included this time, but i am seriously doubtful.

and what about children? I keep thinking back to sims 2 where kids could play with each other and you didn't even need an expansion for that.
    So maybe have them be able to learn knitting?
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I am so sorry hearing about you and your friend @annalephant. I hope that you both heal in time. Although I wouldn't mind a death either, very sad what happened to you and your case.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • EMCba2600EMCba2600 Posts: 38 Member
    Hyper_Key wrote: »
    Unless Elders/adults can teach their (grand)children, yes CHILDREN, to knit i don't think i would be interested in it. I'm tired of all the content just being targeted to Teens and adults. Maybe Elders are included this time, but i am seriously doubtful.

and what about children? I keep thinking back to sims 2 where kids could play with each other and you didn't even need an expansion for that.
    So maybe have them be able to learn knitting?

I agree, there isn't much for kids to do in The Sims 4 and I think elders teaching their grandkids how to knit is a great addition!

I don't think many people really wanted it to be like a grandma-is-knitting-again-oh-looks-like-that's-everything-we-can-do pack, they wanted it to be more inclusive of different life stages. Having Grandma Ella (just using a random name) sitting down and teaching their grandkids how to knit for the afternoon would be a great feature for sure, and it's little details like that that just make the game feel more...full of life. It's a life simulator so I think that idea will greatly benefit the game and possibly even the sales ;)
    Origin ID: EMCba2600
    tumblr
    Daily Updates and More!
  • cutefrutypiecutefrutypie Posts: 39 Member
    Im really exited about it! For me its like:

-Giving sweaters as gives (grandmas to kids, that would be so adorable) or making christmas sweaters
    -Sell them in retail stores
    -Have different feelings wearing a sweater (itching, uncomfortable, cozy, nostalgic, when the sim that made it is dead)
    -Also teach kids and toddlers
    -Can be for extra money <3
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    edited January 2020
    We’ve seen lots of wonderful suggestions on the forums about Knitting gameplay. We’ve decided to make an official thread to gather these ideas in one place to make it easier for our design team to review your suggestions.

Being able to knit clothing, toys, and household items is obviously a must, but what else are you looking for with knitting in The Sims 4?
    Gift giving? Profitable Crafting? Funny failures?

What kind of interactive knitting gameplay objects would you like to see?
    Yarn basket? Rocking chair? Craft Table? Something else?

We've seen "teaching other Sims to knit" come up a lot. How do you imagine this would work? Are you familiar with our existing "Mentoring" system that let's Sims with high skill levels teach other Sims those skills?

Please share with us what is important to you :)

PS – We have a separate thread for crafted clothing and object suggestions here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/971040/what-should-we-be-able-to-knit/
    Please continue to post your thoughts on WHAT your Sims can knit on that thread.

I'm hoping this pack comes with scarves that can be worn with any outfit.

Oh and for gameplay the rocking chair is essential for sowing. I wouldn't mind a sewing machine either.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    We’ve seen lots of wonderful suggestions on the forums about Knitting gameplay. We’ve decided to make an official thread to gather these ideas in one place to make it easier for our design team to review your suggestions.

Being able to knit clothing, toys, and household items is obviously a must, but what else are you looking for with knitting in The Sims 4?

What kind of interactive knitting gameplay objects would you like to see?
    Yarn basket? Rocking chair? Craft Table? Something else?

We've seen "teaching other Sims to knit" come up a lot. How do you imagine this would work? Are you familiar with our existing "Mentoring" system that let's Sims with high skill levels teach other Sims those skills?

Please share with us what is important to you :)

PS – We have a separate thread for crafted clothing and object suggestions here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/971040/what-should-we-be-able-to-knit/
    Please continue to post your thoughts on WHAT your Sims can knit on that thread.

I'm hoping this pack comes with scarves that can be worn with any outfit.

Oh and for gameplay the rocking chair is essential for sowing. I wouldn't mind a sewing machine either.

A rocking chair would be cool, but please don't tie knitting to it (other than perhaps as an alternate location to knit) I know it's a traditional image, but I find both knitting and hand sewing much easier in a stable seat with good lighting.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    objects made by young adults > elders that can be passed down to babies and toddlers.

even if you guys don't go with the imaginary friend route i think it would be kinda cute if the stuffed animal "degraded" over time and got a bit dirty and old as the kid ages up. it could be fixed with the knitting skill for players that want it to return to normal.

i think your new sim guru has that collection of winnie the poo stuffed animals and she posted a pic of one of her poos that degraded over time, along those lines.

still want imaginary friends though ;)
  • PurpleSweetTartPurpleSweetTart Posts: 167 Member
    I think that knitting should definitely be able to crate things you can't buy in CAS and would need to be bought from a retail store. Knitters have to go to a craft store, so I think we need to have a craft store, not a special lot type but crafty short of stuff. Please give us a spinning wheel so we can make our own yarn out of a new kind of plant and let us dye it with fruit.
  • codylynnclarkcodylynnclark Posts: 11 New Member
    I'd really like if knitting and maybe 'teach knitting' were added to the Get Together clubs. I'd also like to make toys (for kids and pets) and collectibles.
  • katka_kynclovakatka_kynclova Posts: 79 Member

I would appreciate if sims with low knitting skills could end up with something "interesting." Botched up decorative items and wearables would be amazing. I know it is hard to make but it would be great if pets could walk around in botched sweaters with 5 sleeves and sims could wear "ugly" sweaters with messed up patterns. Gift giving is nice, I guess, but I don't need it. It would be nice if the crafted items (e.g. socks) were actually wearable, i.e. appeared in household CAS ("unlocked" similarly to work outfits).

For the interactive gameplay object, I would definitely prefer yarn basket/basket with few yarns and a knitting magazine. It would be cute if there was an interaction on the computer for searching for new patterns (sim parody of pinterest perhaps?).

I know a lot of simmers really want a rocking chair, I don't really need it to be honest. I feel like the amount of work on the animations could be distributed elsewhere but I respect the wishes of others.
    Twitter: @ kateknc
    Origin ID: kate_knl :cookie:
  • saddiejean19964saddiejean19964 Posts: 2 New Member
    I would love to have my Sims learn to knit for creativity, profit and gift giving around the holidays. Knitting is a very soothing and relaxation skill to learn and teach others too. Share you gift of knitting with other family members. <3
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Nothing
  • DreamingInSimlishDreamingInSimlish Posts: 5 New Member
    > @MyTrueLoveTS1 said:
    > How about Gift Giving as a minor aspect with the foccus on Funny Failures (This is going to add so much fun!).
    > Profitable Crafting feels wrong to me. Knitting is a unique and personal way to let family and friends know you care. Although for those of you who need that to make their dream work, having to wait until Tier 4.
    >
    > Gift Giving- The color palette can be 1 to up to a mix of 7 colors. The colors available for selection will be based on the category of gift. Receiving sim's mood will change accordingly (or maybe not so much if you give a romantic gift to an uninterested sim).
    >
    > Type: Romantic. color palette: Red, Hot Pink, Pink, White.
    > Type: Friendly. c palette: (rainbow & then some) Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, Violet, Black & White.
    > Type: Family. c palette: Black, Grey, White, Brown, Yellow Ochre, Green Olive, Princeton Orange, Crimson, Plum, Royal Blue.
    > Type: Baby. c palette: Baby Blue, Pink, Pastel Yellow & Green.
    >
    >
    > Funny Failures- There should be a high chance of knitting failed projects. Your mess-ups can still be displayed as a keepsake by wallhanging. *ONLY family members and lovers will receive your failed gifts positively.
    >
    > Tiers of quality of items:
    > 1. Awful- It can't function. You could choose to gift, display or toss the unidentifiable item.
    > 2. Not great- It's a solid one colored functioning craft, but doesn't really look right.
    > 3. Pretty good- Success! You've mastered the art of knitting patterns in one solid color.
    > 4. Quality- It's in demand. Your items now have a market for profit. You can now use multiple colors for an item along with pattern.
    > 5. Spectacular- Sims are now willing to pay top dollar for the joy of having your sim's creations. After unlocking tier 5 you can add flair with the Craft Table. Sim gains xp faster than using Knitting Needles.
    >
    >
    > Interective Gameplay Objects-
    > Craft Armoire/storage Decor: To store your skeins of yarn and supplies if space is too limiting for a Craft Table. (Prepare the skeins of yarn by wrapping them into Yarn Balls.
    >
    > Yarn Ball: Used for knitting, but can also be used as toy by toddlers and cats.
    > Fail- Has chance of making mess on floor by unraveling after 10 attempts.
    >
    > Knitting Needles: Used to Craft Knitted items. *Don't forget the Yarn Ball!
    > Fail- poke self with needle, fumble Yarn Ball or get tangled at low levels.
    >
    > Yarn Basket: To store Yarn Balls for upcoming crafts. Acts like storage/toy chest for yarn.
    > Fail- Toddlers and cats may knock over Yarn Basket and scatter Yarn Balls. Your sim will have to retreive them and put them back.
    >
    > Rocking Chair: Are you ready to ROCK?!
    >
    > Craft Table: Utilize all the bells and whistles at tier 5. Add flair to your crafts with Tinsel Yarn, Tassels, Decorative Poofs, and Decorative Buttons. Be able to tie gift up like a cakebox shape & attatch tag before presenting.
    >
    > Blanket: That can be worn by drapping around shoulders. Can be similar to the mechanics of using an umbrella. If your sim has a blanket in their inventory they will take it out automatically to use as a buffer from the cold. Sims can use them on camping trips and inside the home if no thermostat.
    > Use as single sim or as a cuddling couple (2 animations for cuddling; #1 friend & family are the same, #2 lovers.
    > Fail- Using Blanket in Blizzard will cause it to fly off in the wind. *Don't worry, it should just show up in your family inventory if you really want it back.
    >

^ This is actually a pretty cool way to get a veriety of colors without having to collect flowers for dye. I'm into growing my digital plants as much as the next person, but I'd rather foccus on the items and the act of knitting itself. I don't want to collect flowers for every hobby. We already use them in food, and flower arranging.

The concept of the "tier of quality" is fun but maybe selling items at "2. not great", is more lenient but sims that buy your bad product won't return.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    It would also be neat to utilize knitting in multitasking. So knitting while watching tv or something could boost the skill gain related to the channel, or knitting while talking could make a sim harder to upset even if it’s an unpleasant conversation. And knitting should be a catch-all for relieving tension, except for knitting related tension (or, potentially, for clumsy sims, who struggle with it and are more likely to fail or be stressed out by it).

And if your sim has their knitting supplies with them when they go to work, you should be able to select “continue knitting project” from the rabbit-hole menu, and they’ll progress on their project, but also incur the potential for knitting-related text prompts (like their boss WAS going to ream them, but needs a gift for their spouse, so now you only keep your job if you make a scarf for the boss tonight. Or your sim at school made a friend when they started showing them how to knit.)
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Pinmat135Pinmat135 Posts: 346 Member
    Rocking chair, definitely. Also, I really like the idea of being able to yarn bomb stuff, like how you could deface the university statues in DU with the TP-ing animations, except not just the statues. I want funny failures too, like dropping the needles, getting tangled up, getting knots in the wool/yarn/other yarn-y things, having it come out wrong, etc. etc.

I agree with purplestarz2006, we need some sort of portable item. Wait, idea:
    There's an item called Knitting Needles, portable, that is required to knit. You can buy wool/yarn/other kinds of yarn-y things on the computer or by clicking on the Knitting Needles (like how you can buy seeds from the planters). You can also buy un-dyed wool/yarn/etc., which costs a lot less. You can dye the un-dyed wool with flowers, which gives the same item as you can buy, pre-dyed, from the computer. Each item that you can knit uses X amount of wool/yarn spools of each color (many designs for each item - sweater, each toy, hat, etc. - and you can pick the color that each part uses, like the Create-A-Style of Sims 3, but from a select batch of colors that match the spools of wool/yarn).
  • flammablefruitflammablefruit Posts: 6 New Member
    i think it'd be nice to have a mentoring system like how vampires can learn from higher ones. Although, not nearly as complicated. rocking chairs would be great too,, i always love the items that could be used for elders
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top