Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Phantasmal Reading Circle III: Newness Returns!

katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
Starting up a fresh thread for The New Phantasmal Reading Circle.

Current writers/stories in reading order:

@Firande's Xaos

@lone_cat's Supernatural Misadventures

@lilypadmeulin's Not So Charmed

@katrinasforest's The Kids of Straud Mansion

We will discuss a new story each week, beginning on Mondays. This week (12/21/20), we'll be chatting about Not So Charmed.

And for anyone looking over this thread who hasn't read @simscognito's amazing Friends of Foes story, you should absolutely check that out, too.

Previous stories (welcome back anytime):
@15aewar's Keeping Up With the Slayers

@AuroraStorm's Building a Foundation
Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
Post edited by katrinasforest on

Comments

• NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited January 2020
    The order looks right. Thanks for remaking the circle thread, @katrinasforest

Some Meli x Vin sweetness to properly open this thread up :)
    49406117166_6f0a05a5ba.jpg
    Post edited by NyteRose on
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    Aww...love it, @NyteRose!

Okay, now that I've gotten organized, let's open up the chat proper. @rainbowwithfangs, what are some questions you have for us readers this week?

This is the first mermaid-based challenge I've seen, so I'm curious how the idea came about. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    @katrinasforest @Firande @rainbowwithfangs
    I hope I'm not spamming the thread, but I'd like to share some writing programs/apps that I frequently use and swear by.

Grammarly- Grammarly is a spell checker, grammar checker, and style checker to improve your writing. It offers both free and paid (premium) options, a phone app and plug-ins for MS Word and Google Chrome.

ProWritingAid- The big gun for many writers. ProWritingAid is a grammar, spelling, and style checker, and offers a plagiarism checker and is customizable to various writing types (Creative, Business, etc.) There are free and paid (premium) options, plus extensions for Chrome, MS Word, etc. A free 14-day trial of the premium version is available.

WPS Office- A full-featured, free, and easy-to-use alternative to MS Office/Word. This is my staple word processor. WPS Office offers 1gig of free Cloud storage, various templates for documents, interface skins, and both free and paid (premium) versions. The free version has minimal ads, the paid option is an ad-free experience offering more templates, interface skins, and 20gigs of Cloud storage.
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    Hello all. :) This might be too late to post this, but I was wondering if I could join the reading circle? I have a story (Supernatural Misadventures) with 7 chapters so far, and I update twice a week. It is a supernatural drama/mystery with some romance. I've been wanting to read some new stories, and participate more in the forums.
    Always up for new suggestions, @NyteRose! I'm a fan of Scrivener myself.

@rainbowwithfangs Replying to your question from the old thread, the basics of the circle is this: Each week, starting on Sundays, we spotlight a different story. When it's your turn in the spotlight, you can ask us questions about it, and we can answer them and ask new questions in return. Then the next week, we move to the next story in the list. You can also feel free to post whenever you've added a new chapter or have something cool to share, regardless of whether it's your week or not.

We occasionally take a week off if everyone happens to be really busy all at the same time.

You're up first, so we'll start with chatting about the Eventide Legacy. I was curious how the idea for it came about, but feel free to shoot us any questions you like, too. Some writers like to ask readers to make predictions about what will happen or just ask what we think about a particular character. It's pretty open and relaxed. :)
    @lone_cat Of course you're welcome to join! I'll add you to the list. :)

We must have posted at almost the exact same time. When I started to type my last reply, I didn't see your comment; I only noticed it when I came back to check the forums later. I hope it didn't look like I was ignoring you!
    @katrinasforest Thanks for adding me. :) I just saw your reply now. It was pretty late where I am from and I went to sleep after my post. So no, it didn't look like you were ignoring me. :)

I'll get caught up on Eventide Legacy, so I can participate in the discussion this week.
  • mickimagnummickimagnum Posts: 74 Member
    @lone_cat Welcome! There's only two chapters so far, so it'll be easy. haha

@katrinasforest Awesome, thanks! To answer your question, I decided I wanted to do the Legacy Challenge. I had also been toying with the idea of trying to make it into a SimLit. I chose mermaids for the challenge because they're a life-state I haven't really played with much. Plus, I'm a water child; I love the water, swimming, and anything to do with it. So, it seemed appropriate and like a fun challenge.

So, if y'all are not familiar with The Legacy Challenge, you basically play through 10 generations of one family. So, by converting this into a SimLit, each generation will be broken up. I really want to do a story arch for each generation, in about only 10-15 chapters per generation. I didn't realize how limiting the rules of the Legacy Challenge would be when it comes to exploring a lifetime of a particular Sim. Again, if you're not familiar with it, the rules state that the lifetimes must be set to normal in-game and you can only use something to reverse aging (like a potion of youth) once per generation. So, you really have to hit the ground running in order to make the most of your challenge. I am a little worried that this will make my story feel a bit rushed, though.

My story is pretty young still (though admittedly, I've played WAY ahead in the game), so there's not really a lot to say yet. I WILL say that Gemma will have to make some tough decisions in the future.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?
    Origin ID: mickimagnum
    My Sims Blog

• FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    Hey everyone! First of all, thank you so much for creating a new thread @katrinasforest. You're the best. <3 I totally forgot about the order too, but this sounds about right. :blush:

@NyteRose Thank you for the recommendations on writing programs! I'm always looking for some new ones. I have always used OpenOffice even though I do also have Microsoft Office, but I've been wanting to use an online program so I recently tried out Google Docs but man... I write a LOT, and Google Docs is really sucky with bigger documents, since it gets so much slower so much faster.

Also loving the Meli/Vin sweetness as always! <3 These two are just so great.

@lone_cat Welcome! I can't wait to start your story. As for mine, it's currently already at chapter 42, so I apologize in advance for that LOL. If you want to, though, you can also just hop in at Chapter 40. I've divided this story into seasons, and Season 4 just started at Chapter 40 so if you just start there, you'd be totally OK too. There'll be some things you might not understand but it shouldn't be all too much. If you check out my Tumblr, I have some snippets of stories on there too that might help out a little bit and won't take as much reading as catching up on my blog does.

@rainbowwithfangs That's so interesting as to the why's of your current story! I'm a water child too, totally grew up with it, so this story brings me an extra lot of joy. :blush:
    It's so cool that you're doing the legacy challenge! I would've loved to do something like that too but unfortunately for me, I always end up getting way too attached to my founders LOL. I do have somewhat of a legacy going right now, but because I alternate between aging on long and aging off and have a whole lot of immortals to boot (all of my founders/gen 1 Sims are immortal LOL), it isn't going all that fast. I always have major respect for people who can play on normal aging and still make a super cool story out of their legacy with these super fleshed out characters to boot!

I just read your chapter 2 and it's looking so good! It's so nice to see Gemma interacting with all these people... she's already building quite the social circle from what I'm seeing! I do have experience with following legacy challenges and have been following my friend's, who also turned it into a story, and she's currently at generation 7 so I'm beginning to kind of notice how the whole thing is generally played out. I see you looking about for a proper suitor, there. 👀
    So this is the first time you're doing the Legacy Challenge? Is this also your first SimLit you've written? What is your usual play style, when you're not doing this challenge?
    What are your goals for this generation? Or is that gonna be too spoiler-y? I'm thinking it through now and it probably is LOL, so feel free not to answer.

To everyone: So I finally decided to put like, a bit of a regular schedule to my story LOL... felt like it was much-needed. You can expect a new chapter for Xaos every Sunday or Monday!
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
    edited January 2020
    @Firande If you're looking for an online word processor you may like this one. I tried it and liked it but prefer the downloadable programs I can install on my PC. It has an offline/desktop app, and you can configure it to publish posts to WordPress.
    Zoho Writer
    Post edited by NyteRose on
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. :) I’m kind of addicted to simlit, so this will be a great way to binge on some new stories!

@Firande I can't wait to read your story too! I'll try to start from the beginning, but thanks for the tip on starting on chapter 40, if I don't get caught up in time for next week.

@rainbowwithfangs I’m enjoying the story so far, it's a great start. I can’t wait to see what you have in store for Gemma. Sulani is one of my favorite worlds, it’s so beautiful and tropical, I feel like I’m on vacation every time I play it or see it used in stories.

I haven't read many legacy challenge stories, so this is a nice new look into a different type of simlit for me. I also have never played a challenge, but can see how it would be an interesting challenge with aging set to normal and no cheats allowed. I did have a legacy when I first started playing sims 4, but I never wrote about it, or took many screenshots. I had twelve generations, then I stopped, because I really liked the last generation and didn’t want to move on. I got too attached to my half alien, turned vampire, lol.

I like learning about a writer's process in writing simlit. Do you let your sims run around autonomously and take lots of screenshots and write later? Or do you try to control them, and have a basic plan or outline for what you want them to accomplish in their generation? I hope that makes sense.
  • mickimagnummickimagnum Posts: 74 Member
    edited January 2020
    Hey ya'll, I have to be honest. I'm feeling pretty uninspired and am thinking of abandoning my story or taking some time off from it, at least. I've just got too much going on and it feels like work, not fun. :( Feel free to remove me. I'm sorry, you guys. I wish you all the best.
    Origin ID: mickimagnum
    My Sims Blog

@rainbowwithfangs Sorry to see you leave, but if writing feels like a job and not fun, you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck to you.
    NyteRose wrote: »
    @rainbowwithfangs Sorry to see you leave, but if writing feels like a job and not fun, you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck to you.

I agree with NyteRose's comment.

@rainbowwithfangs Sorry to see you go. Take care. :)
    @katrinasforest @Firande @lone_cat
    I did a makeover on an elf maiden character I've had rotting in my library/Gallery for ages. Dying to play her again (I only briefly playtested her after creation to make sure she and her puppy worked) and am slowly remodeling WC/Newcrest to look like fantasy/medieval/elf worlds. She'll be made into a spellcaster since elves are known for being magically adept. Anyway...

Avianna Dawnleaf Before (No CC)
    47945238092_860e5614e1.jpg

Avianna After
    49436221392_899e42ba40.jpg
    49436222247_a6efd29822.jpg

Sadie
    49435527008_b31d132ea3.jpg

I'm tempted to start outlining a fantasy story about her, but I don't who the male lead or other characters will be :D
    @NyteRose Very cool, she looks awesome!

I also have a medieval/fantasy story partially written, but haven't gotten around to doing anything with it. I even made the characters and tried placing some lots, but I got frustrated and decided to focus on my current story, which doesn't require so much CC/special lots, but I'm thinking of working on my fantasy story again, and maybe tweaking it a little.

On a side note, I highly recommend Windenburg for a medieval/fantasy world if you have that expansion pack. The island and the countryside make really good settings for medieval/fantasy, but I'm probably biased, because Windenburg is one of my favorite worlds to play in. I also used some of the lots in Granite Falls, it has some really good forest scenery.
    edited January 2020
    @lone_cat I have every pack except Kids Room, Toddler, and Tiny Living. I have to scrap the save since it got corrupted so I'll look into using Windenburg and GF when I restart. Thanks for the suggestions :)
    edited January 2020
    @rainbowwithfangs Really sorry to hear about your writer's block. It's so frustrating when a favorite hobby starts to feel like a chore. I've been there. I hope you get the spark back soon! I'll take you off the list for now, but feel free to jump back in to chat whenever you like. :) If you're still playing your legacy challenge, I'd love to hear how it's going, even if there's not a written story about it per se.
    @katrinasforest Who's week is it this week, or are we taking a break this week?
    @NyteRose Nope, no break. Just me being crazy busy on weekends as usual. (I really should have just announced that we would start the week on Mondays. ^_^;; )

Anyway, it's @Firande's turn this week! Any questions for your readers?
    I have a to do a fresh reinstall of the game since everything got corrupted and I'm losing all my saves :'( At least I still have my screenshots... :(
    @NyteRose Oh, no! That stinks. (I know a stronger word is probably a better representation, but...forums. :/ ) Do you have anything saved up on the gallery you can re-download to the new game?
    @katrinasforest I have Sims saved to my Gallery page, yes but there's a likely chance some of them may be corrupted, too. What hurts the most is losing my CC'ed Vin :( Got way too attached to that little vampire... :/
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    edited January 2020
    @NyteRose Aw man, I'm so sorry! That's the absolute worst. Have you backed up your saves recently? If not, for the future it may be a good idea to occasionally back up your saves folder to another location on your computer, so you at least have some backups. My whole computer is filled with random "saves" folders in like, every other folder LOL.

@lone_cat Thanks so much for reading my story! It means so much.

Sorry for my late-ish responses... I've been dealing with finals, some family issues, and all that not-so-fun stuff, but I finally completed my final final (LOL) today so I'm all present for my turn this week!

Hmm, let me think of some questions.

1. A more general question: which occult's representation do you like the best in my story and why? I realize that right now this is only between aliens and vampires, hehe, so I'll probably be reiterating this question later on once I'm caught up on my mermaid/siren and witches chapters as well. :sweat_smile:
    2. Which of the (side) storylines (i.e. Tika's story, Cai/Angelico's story, Calo's story, Tori's story, Emil's story, or Fenne's story) did you guys enjoy the most and why?
    3. What is your favorite moment in the story so far? :blush:

If you have any questions for me, I'd love to hear those too!!
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
    Good news! I found clean copies of my save/tray folders and everything works! And I have my CC'ed Vin back! YAY!