Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not Enough time to get to class, EVER!

My sim lives on campus and keeps missing her class. Class times are so short, if your not right there at the door waiting to go in, your sims isn't making it on time. The campus takes too long to navigate thru. Now she is failing because it takes too long to walk there. The bike is a joke, I actually deleted it from her inventory because I though that was the cause of her being late, with all the time it took to take it out, use the kick stand, and the silly routes it took her. There needs to be a go to class early option.
giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

Comments

• Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited January 2020
    You've already figured out the biggest tip I could give you, don't use bikes on either campus to get to class! In addition to that, there actually is a get to school early animation, but I usually only use it for their first class of a term to figure out in which building each class is held. But I don't let them leave on their own from the dorms, ever! After that, you only need to get to the Commons for either school around 40-45 minutes before class starts.

Anyway, here's what I do and it hasn't failed me yet with two students both who have graduated with an A+ GPA and honors for their degrees:

1. First class of a new term, send your Sim to either of the Commons lots, depending on which University they are attending an 1-1/2 hrs early. Once the clock runs down to an hour before class, they will head to the correct building on their own so you know where to go for the next class.

2. For all classes after the first class, send your Sim to the Commons 40-45 minutes early and then click on the ground in front of the building for their class choosing 'walk here'. They'll walk there and be ready to go when it's time for class. Most of the time they'll be early enough to do some things to fill needs if you wish instead of just standing there waiting; do homework, call a friend, eat a harvestable, play some games on their cell, etc. Just be sure to stop whatever they're doing a few minutes before class to give them time to stop and disappear to go in the building.

I hope this makes sense and helps! :)

EDIT:

* Note - This method was used with Sims who had no autonomy. I'm a micromanage freak. lol I don't know if it would work for Sims with full autonomy. They might try to run off and do something else and you'd still be late. Worth a try anyway I guess. *shrugs*

Good luck and Happy Simming! <3
    Post edited by Karababy52 on
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited January 2020
    I keep hearing this and I had no problem getting my Sim to class on time when he lived on campus.

I prefer my Sim living off campus, though.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    If you are not against using mods, LittleMsSam has made a small mod that makes you run faster to class.

If you are getting only 5 minutes to get to the next class and that is located in another building, you can go to my Answer HQ thread here and click "me too" to make EA aware of it.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited January 2020
    logion wrote: »
    If you are not against using mods, LittleMsSam has made a small mod that makes you run faster to class.

If you are getting only 5 minutes to get to the next class and that is located in another building, you can go to my Answer HQ thread here and click "me too" to make EA aware of it.

Oop you know what, I use this mod lol totally forgot
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    logion wrote: »

Thank you for the link to the above thread, I'll click "me too." While I don't use mods and use the 'teleport here' cheat in this situation, Simmers shouldn't have to do either one. Hopefully, an adjusted schedule will be implemented in an upcoming patch so this doesn't happen anymore. Thanks again! :)
  • LivRaeLivRae Posts: 4 New Member
    i’ve always struggled with time management during DU because my sims are always rushing to finish the homework they didn’t do because they were partying so hard haha
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Good to know I'm not the only one! The first sim I took to university was a vampire with the supernatural speed power, so naturally she didn't have any trouble going to class on time. But the second one, an elderly ghost, did struggle quite a bit. I bought him a bike because I thought that was the point of those, helping your sim get everywhere quickly, but that was before I took a good look at Foxbury and discovered that it was bascially one giant staircase. Is it really that bad at the other university too?

The best advice I can give is to simply not live on campus, because when your sim goes to class from home, they just step out of the door and disappear as usual. Yes, the game warns you that you'll "miss the full university experience" by choosing to stay at home, but I think that's an awful experience anyway, not least because of the time management problem.
  • Coop_myloveCoop_mylove Posts: 15 Member
    I have had the same issue. It makes me want to rip my hair out! I feel like putting in all the time; doing homework, constructing projects, editing projects, studying, etc... only to make it to class with 10 minuets remaining and then being let down because I didn’t do good. I have been trying to manually instruct my sim to go to the building that class is held at and just standing around waiting until it’s time. One bonus; you can stand and do homework or study.
    Do to the fact of being late is what made my Sims overall averaged a C+ at the end of semester even though I did all the hard work.
  • SablesashaSablesasha Posts: 417 Member
    I have the same problem, so frustrating
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    I don't understand this. I've NEVER had this problem. In fact, my sim ALWAYS leaves an hour early and stands outside the class building waiting for over a half hour until the class starts. It IS very annoying though because she has to just stand there until it starts, usually playing games on her phone.
  • SablesashaSablesasha Posts: 417 Member
    I experimented a bit and my sims dorm was in the other university's campus (don't know how that worked out), so I made my sim go to her campus and hang out in the commons. Trots off on time everytime now, and like yours Gettps gets there on time.

So next term, she's moving closer!
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Good to know I'm not the only one! The first sim I took to university was a vampire with the supernatural speed power, so naturally she didn't have any trouble going to class on time. But the second one, an elderly ghost, did struggle quite a bit. I bought him a bike because I thought that was the point of those, helping your sim get everywhere quickly, but that was before I took a good look at Foxbury and discovered that it was bascially one giant staircase. Is it really that bad at the other university too?

The best advice I can give is to simply not live on campus, because when your sim goes to class from home, they just step out of the door and disappear as usual. Yes, the game warns you that you'll "miss the full university experience" by choosing to stay at home, but I think that's an awful experience anyway, not least because of the time management problem.

I have only ever played in Britechester University and have not had a problem with sims being late to class. All the buildings are close by with no stairs so they get there fairly quickly whether they bike it or walk. I don't think I will send any sims to Foxbury now though, sounds hellish.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I only had one sim live on campus and didn't have any issues with her getting to class on time. A lot of times she autonomously went to class early but she went to Britechester. Perhaps Foxbury is the problem.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    It’s pretty easy to get to class at UBrite if you live in the penthouse dorms. I recently tried living in that smaller dorm over behind the gym and there was significantly more trouble with getting to class on time.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes that's where she lived, in the penthouse dorms. The only time she was late to class was because I had a last exception on the way to class during her final term and it actually cost her her A+ GPA, I was livid! :D
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I played first in an off campus lot and my Sim had an A+ average and graduated with honors. But then I played another Sim couple and moved them into one of the large Britechester dorms and they literally bombed the semester with 3 D’s and an F even though they did all the work. They were constantly late, losing their bikes, their homework and presentations would fall out of their inventory, it was chaos let me tell you, chaos, but they managed to graduate “without honours” lol it even says that on their degree “without honors”. I think they got less pay bumps and bonus in their careers.

I was wondering if maybe the bike was making them late somehow. I’m going to delete it next time.

I think the taking notes in class and studying for the exams bumps up the grades though
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    @logion Thank you so much for the link. I had no idea such a mod existed.
    giphy.gif

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    So, if you are CONSISTENTLY late, LEARN from that and get your Sim onto campus early. It's not hard to see "hm, I didn't have time for all that stuff I had queued before class. I will need to make sure to start earlier." Class is exactly like going to school or going to work. Being late once is all it should take to teach you to allow more time in your mornings.

In seven terms played, my Sims have been late for class (to the extent that it affected their performance) twice. That's on me, for trying to cram too much in, and delaying their departure.
  • ObaniMoonObaniMoon Posts: 18 Member
    Have you tried making your sim a Master vampire? My sim gets to class almost instantly.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    So, if you are CONSISTENTLY late, LEARN from that and get your Sim onto campus early. It's not hard to see "hm, I didn't have time for all that stuff I had queued before class. I will need to make sure to start earlier." Class is exactly like going to school or going to work. Being late once is all it should take to teach you to allow more time in your mornings.

In seven terms played, my Sims have been late for class (to the extent that it affected their performance) twice. That's on me, for trying to cram too much in, and delaying their departure.

This is not a particularly helpful comment.

Foxbury is particularly egregious, and it’s not just due to individual time management skills or even just the layout of the campus (although that doesn’t help). The worst thing with Foxbury is that 95% of the time, even when my sims have nothing else queued, and even when they get the prompt to leave for class an hour ahead of time, and I let them do it without interfering in any way with other actions, they will immediately leave the dorm and start walking toward class, but then just stop and the prompt disappears after the first set of stairs, just before they reach the central green.

Other times, I will have them leave for class two hours early and just have them stand outside the correct building. Even if I close out all other actions five to ten minutes before class starts, they will rarely go to class autonomously even if standing right next to the building. Instead, I have to click on the “go to Class” option in the jobs tab, which does not appear until class has already started, so they are always st least ten minutes late to class, even if I’m hyper-vigilant.

This does NOT happen with Britechester, only with Foxbury. So granted, yes, you can learn to be aware of these things and work around them, but it’s not simply a question of user error.
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    I thought the same thing @Amapola76 ....
    I think the Sims should mimic life and not necessarily be just like the real world. Getting to class late has happen to quite a few simmers that play Foxbury. I started this thread to see if anyone was having the same prob and hopefully get a devs attention so we could get a 'go to class early' option.
    giphy.gif

• ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I think this topic is great and I hope the developers read the forum like they say they do. I'm starting to think that if you play rotationally the University game will just glitch into pieces. I tried giving my University Britechester Sims absolutely no tasks to do in the morning, and even stood them outside the building, but when they got called to class, I zoomed in to follow and observed them walk up to the building and then just stare at it as if they didn't know how to open the door and go inside. There was no way I could click on the building and tell them, hurry up and go inside. While staring at the building, they became late. On another occasion, I observed my Sims get off their bikes, and then stand beside their bikes outside the building as if they had nothing to do and nowhere to go. They just skipped class to look at their bikes. That's understandable, why do the bikes keep disappearing?? Then, after these Sims graduated, and I'm just happy they did, I went to play the Pleasant twins and found that they had mysteriously graduated also, but with no degree, and are just stuck in the space between graduating and getting a job. They can't get a distinguished job, because there is no degree showing, and they can't re-enroll to try a different degree. And there is no way I can complete the graduation myself. I've clicked everywhere on campus.

Now I am playing with my Sims 2 Broke family in the poor neighbourhood in Willow Creek. Brandi was expecting a baby, but she gave birth to twin girls after eating too many strawberries and watching the kids channel with Beau. Because her family is so poor, I considered sending Skip to University since he was just working part time on the weekends anyway as a lawn mower and I found he got accepted into one distinguished program, the Biology one at Foxbury. Before, I didn't care about these issues for my other Sims, but now, I really want Skip to become a distinguished marine biologist, so there will be more tragic gameplay when he drowns mysteriously on Sulani island and becomes a ghost. Nothing I do can make him get to school on time. I gave Brandi a full time job and put the twins in daycare, and she disappears off the front step to get to work. When Skip goes to school, he just starts running through the whole neighborhood like he's jogging and then disappears to go to class when he reaches the furthest part of the neighborhood and by then he's late. I played another family in Willow Creek and they didn't have this issue, they just disappeared off the front step. When I try to take him to Foxbury Heights, it's just hard, it's just really hard. I don't play with mods, but I'm just praying for someone to make a mod called Foxbury Flat where the terrain is now all one level...

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    If you are AT the building when class starts, there is a "Go To Class" button enabled on their career pane, if they don't just go in automatically.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    If you are AT the building when class starts, there is a "Go To Class" button enabled on their career pane, if they don't just go in automatically.

Yes. As I already noted above.

But let's say your class starts at 9 a.m.: the button does not appear until 9:00 sharp. So even if you have cougar-like reflexes, and click on it instantly, your sims are still slow AF, and by the time the homework notebook appears in their hands, and they actually walk into the building, it's 9:10 or 9:15 before they are actually in class.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    If you live right on campus, having to leave for class 1 or 2 hours early IRL would be insane. If you time on a real world watch how long it takes then to get to class - that is more like it. The game clock does not agree with Uni.

Dashing off 15 mins before class starts is more like it. Uni Sims should have a special walk style to get to class - mad insane dash.