Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

PC Specs - not sure if this is in the correct discussion??

Hi guys,

Hope you're all well. Not really sure whether I've posted this in the right place but here goes.
Just purchased a new laptop as the 5 year old one is about to die. This is the one we've got as they had a good deal going:

Dell G7 17"
9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6
8 GB, 2 x 4 GB, DDR4, 2666 MHz
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive (Boot) + 1TB 5400 rpm 2.5" SATA Hard Drive (Storage)

I'm really hoping I'll finally be able to play Sims 4 on ultra :D How those of you in the know think this will perform? Just have to wait for it to arrive.

Thanks in advance and happy Simming <3

Comments

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Yes, those specs are more than enough for Ultra.
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,371 Member
    From what research I've done, it definately looks like enough for ultra. Hopefully you don't have to wait too long and have fun with it, always feels great when you get a new laptop/computer.
  • huandluhuandlu Posts: 109 Member
    Thanks @So_Money

@blueybluesky Thanks. Shouldn't be too long I don't think. Definitely excited...been 5 years since we've had a new one <3
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    huandlu wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Hope you're all well. Not really sure whether I've posted this in the right place but here goes.
    Just purchased a new laptop as the 5 year old one is about to die. This is the one we've got as they had a good deal going:

Dell G7 17"
    9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H
    Windows 10 Home
    NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6
    8 GB, 2 x 4 GB, DDR4, 2666 MHz
    256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive (Boot) + 1TB 5400 rpm 2.5" SATA Hard Drive (Storage)

I'm really hoping I'll finally be able to play Sims 4 on ultra :D How those of you in the know think this will perform? Just have to wait for it to arrive.

Thanks in advance and happy Simming <3

Yes indeed the specs are nice and that RTX 2060 is excellent and you should be able to play in ultra but make sure you got an cooler pad, an good one. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited January 2020
    I wouldn’t waste money on a cooler, unless you play for hours on soft surfaces like beds, couches, your lap. Otherwise put some rubber feet on the bottom for airflow and you’ll be fine. It’s a laptop, so it will always run hot, but as long as you elevate it, you’re good.

Edit: I just noticed you already have a cooling pad. But my point still stands for anyone looking at this considering a gaming laptop.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,562 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    I wouldn’t waste money on a cooler, unless you play for hours on soft surfaces like beds, couches, your lap. Otherwise put some rubber feet on the bottom for airflow and you’ll be fine. It’s a laptop, so it will always run hot, but as long as you elevate it, you’re good.

Edit: I just noticed you already have a cooling pad. But my point still stands for anyone looking at this considering a gaming laptop.

I just use a cooler regardless. 😂 I do use my laptop for hours (just not gaming) and I live in a hot country.

But for the most part, I think a cooling pad is not so necessary if you're in a cooler climate.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    Laptops build up an awful lot of heat as I do own an gaming laptop and one reason I would not consider an cooler an waste of money because most will place the laptop on their lap which is how laptop got its name and more than likely the customer will operate an laptop on the bed as well as I do at times. but I use my cooler as it is more stable than an rubber foot and whatever else.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    DeKay wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »

I just use a cooler regardless. 😂 I do use my laptop for hours (just not gaming) and I live in a hot country.

But for the most part, I think a cooling pad is not so necessary if you're in a cooler climate.

I can get with the cooler climate as I also live in an temperate climate and the combination of the heat the laptop does generate and the outside heat for me requires cooling as it cannot withstand the heat as well as an desktop.
    huandlu wrote: »

Nice cooler :)
  • Foxybabyhg3Foxybabyhg3 Posts: 11 New Member
    I have an Alienware with the same graphics card and similar processor, only thing is I have double the RAM, but I have 44GB of CC & mods :p
    But I have it on Ultra and still only takes 60 seconds from click to lot when when loading.
    Awesome. I will use the cooler since we already have it, we are in a warm country and it seems to do the job.

Thanks for all your comments guys B)