Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So sick and tired of fighting with this game

Love playing it, but it's a never ending battle to try and get it to work right. Every single day I play I find two to three more things wrong with it. Today's hurdles? I posted a few days ago that one of my servos had a negative emotional skills buff (the kind I thought you were SUPPOSED to get up until the time you turned into a young adult) that was making him act out against everyone. Now my new regular old just turned young adult fully human has one for empathy (buff_lifeskills_autonomy_negative), so it turns out it's not just a servo thing. When he was young he didn't have a low enough empathy to earn a trait, but the game still keeps giving him the buff (pretty sure it's the same one you get if you act out enough that makes you tend to autonomously keep doing it) which in turn changes his social autonomy towards being nasty. So he insults everyone for no apparent reason. I've tried removing it but it just keeps coming back. So at this point he's pretty much screwed up for life.
Secondly, there is a crystal stuck in front of the quad statue so I can't make an offering. Just because it's so bleedin' important to have OTHER sims make offerings and yarnbomb the statue.
It isn't the word plum that comes to mind when I think of this game...it more like a lemon. I've done enough modding on it by now to make my own small game, and it's getting old.

Comments

• Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited January 2020
    ...and then there's his three college dorm roommates that just froze to death in the dorm within two hours of each other, despite the fact it's only "cool" outside. Sigh.
  • Options
    shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 255 Member
    Yep, and EA still with their heads in the sand pretending all is Peachy Keen. This game has been sort of a sabbatical for me. I normally work in high end training simulations, Emergency life saving, Natural disaster training etc.
    The standard of coding in this game is awefull at best and plainly substandard in most other cases.
    I am beginning to seriously doubt EA can save or fix this game now. It is in too much of a mess now.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Sometimes you’ve got to step away. That’s what I did. Now I follow the game and the community from afar, hoping that one day something changes.
  • Options
    On top of all that, whenever I try a new style of gameplay I find more things that make me want to tear my hair out. Like today's (again). Playing a kid, and went to get him a bicycle, but lo and behold, kids can't ride bikes. Seriously? Ya gotta be kiddin' me. I don't give a llama's patootie if the pack they came in was aimed at college aged sims, this is just pure laziness. The animations are there for adults; it can't be that hard to put kid sized bikes in the game and tweak said animations to work on kids. Then was the time to do it, not when they sell us some pack for kids. And all this talk about new animations taking sooo long and being so hard to do, so they have to limit the number in each pack. Sorry, but that's what game making is all about. They've sold 30 million expansions; that's about how much money the Avengers movie took in. Can't even imagine the hours it took to do the cgi in that, but I'm guessing it's way higher than doing things like making a kid ride a bike.
  • Options
    So_Money wrote: »
    Sometimes you’ve got to step away. That’s what I did. Now I follow the game and the community from afar, hoping that one day something changes.

And if I never learned to mod, I would have done that a long time ago. One of the stupidest things I ever did. Now I just play and spend half my time fixing everything.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    shorty943p wrote: »
    Yep, and EA still with their heads in the sand pretending all is Peachy Keen. This game has been sort of a sabbatical for me. I normally work in high end training simulations, Emergency life saving, Natural disaster training etc.
    The standard of coding in this game is awefull at best and plainly substandard in most other cases.
    I am beginning to seriously doubt EA can save or fix this game now. It is in too much of a mess now.

Quite agree. Way back when I did game development so know both how easy it is for things to not work right, and the absolute necessity for rigorous testing - as in doing everything possible to break it, not just playing through - before release. Also have background in QA for military aircraft engines so can tell EA simply isn't putting the effort in they used to. Not only do I doubt EA could fix the game, I doubt they even want to even if they could. It makes money broken, so why bother. A bad corporate attitude to have.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Sims3 was the same. But it wasn't nearly as shallow as Sims4 so modding Sims3 made it worth the effort because it had tons of gameplay. But I was one happy camper when it ended and I was free to play a complete game with all the mods I needed and wanted. The same goes for Sims4 when it finally runs out of steam. Once all the upating/patching is over with, I will have a complete game I can tweak and mod to the max without any interference from EA. Using mods is a hassle, I can agree with that. And most Simmers don't want to deal with it. But in order to save my sanity, I saw no other way to play the game because it is so broken. Mods didn't really become important until Seasons was released. At least for me, adding mods became a necessity rather than a luxury once those rotting leaf piles began to make the worlds look like garbage dumps. But knowing there is a large community of modders able and willing to fix the game allows the testers to overlook many of the problems they find while testing new packs, updates/patches, and new features, because if they took the time to fix what is broken, they'd need to exceed the budget or delay the release of dlc. I came to that realization very early in Sims4. EA/Maxis clearly saw there were issues with the game engine while Sims4 was being developed, and have taken this iteration in so many different directions, it's impossible to tell what it was supposed to look like versus what we have five years later. Porting Sims4 across different platforms was definitely a higher priority than creating a stable, bug-free game. And EA has done a lot of creative marketing in order to make this possible because of how much money the corporation needed to make it all happen. Now Origin/EA has a 20th Anniversary sale going on. As if this is some kind of gift to the players. No doubt it will generate some new revenue seeing as the base game is almost free, and new fans will grab packs in bundle deals, or at a reduced price. Even more creative marketing at work that will probably be successful, and the shareholders can look forward to larger dividends on their investments.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Sometimes, I also feel it's an uphill battle to just play the game. At other times, things seem to go more smoothly. I have had long breaks from Sims 4 over time, and I guess it makes me remember what to expect, but perhaps even more so what not to expect from this game.

The more I wish to control things in it, the more resistance I get. For the time being, my biggest annoyance is the routing system and how much sims clip with objects, because they can't figure out how to walk around things and other sims. I don't understand how the game manages to break so much when it didn't used to.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, it can be difficult when it feels like the game is fighting back.
    Some things I do to deal with it:
    • I use MC Command Center to get rid of situational outfits, and MC Tuner to get rid of annoying things they have added to the game (like playing in puddles etc.) I see them do an annoying thing, I activate autonomy disabler, right click, scan, find the thing and disable it. Not a single sim practices singing in the open street anymore.
    • I use NPC Control by Paulson to get rid of generated sims, the mod forces the game to use existing sims, and my save is full of sims that I have downloaded from the gallery
    • I have testingcheats enabled so I can shift click and reset sims who do annoying things or get stuck, which can also sometimes solve simulation lag. Shift-click and delete is good to get rid of sims from your lot. (It just removes them from your zone, it does not delete them from your game)
    • Other than that, I use some other mods to just improve the game.

As for the problem you listed, have you checked if your sim has a hidden trait which gives him the buff? You can list all traits your sim has with MC Command Center log, and then you can remove them with the trait remove cheat.
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    For the time being, my biggest annoyance is the routing system and how much sims clip with objects, because they can't figure out how to walk around things and other sims.

I like it when teens have to disappear for school, because they all have to stand in the exact same spot before they can vanish into the void. A friend on mine who plays on console has a house with six teens and they constantly fail at going to school because they all end up standing on the same spot inside of each other, meaning he then has to go through each of them one at a time telling them to go because they don't try again.

That and when they all come home from school they reappear in the same spot all at once, all together, meaning he now keeps pausing and sending me images that haunt my dreams.

IMG-20200120-153421.jpg
    IMG-20200120-161152.jpg
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    @Paigeisin5 which mods you use in sims 3?
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    ravynwolvf wrote: »
    ...and then there's his three college dorm roommates that just froze to death in the dorm within two hours of each other, despite the fact it's only "cool" outside. Sigh.

I think the townies/neighbors shouldn't be allowed by the game to freeze to death. Like... I know some people might find it funny to see someone randomly freezing to death in the front of their house, but after the first time it just becomes annoying. Like... I have a save file where I play basically the whole town rorationally, and i have to deactivate my sims of being affected by the weather. I don't want anyone dying when i'm not playing with them, but i also hate turning off the weather for the household i'm currently playing because i'd want them to have consequences.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Karon wrote: »
    ravynwolvf wrote: »

I think the townies/neighbors shouldn't be allowed by the game to freeze to death. Like... I know some people might find it funny to see someone randomly freezing to death in the front of their house, but after the first time it just becomes annoying. Like... I have a save file where I play basically the whole town rorationally, and i have to deactivate my sims of being affected by the weather. I don't want anyone dying when i'm not playing with them, but i also hate turning off the weather for the household i'm currently playing because i'd want them to have consequences.

I think, especially given the designers ability to make things work properly, that there shouldn't even be thermostats in the game. I would have just left it as comfortable when you are inside. Because I also get tired of having to stop, go into buy mod, and install a thermostat in EVERY lot I visit, commercial or residential. Or at the very least, go over to it in the nightclub and change it to the right temperature. Or someone's house for that matter, because they are too dumb to do it. It was just a plum plumity plum thing to do, putting them in the game.
    Post edited by ravynwolvf on
  • Options
    shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 255 Member
    I just got an Email Warning from EA+Joz for reminding EA the Customer is Always Right!
    the soft whimps!
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    So_Money wrote: »

This x1000 ^^^

I had bought the premium version of the game (retail $80 bucks if I remember correctly) and almost every expansion and game pack. After they’ve put out packs like Island Living devoid of content or stuff packs like My First Pet, an embarrassment to the franchise, I just could not bring myself to give them another cent. I went from purchasing packs 50% off only to not at all.

These are games, they should give enjoyment above all else. If you feel like you are fighting to have the game play correctly, your business is better brought elsewhere.

I’m still sticking around, hoping that the quality improves, as I do still like the series, want it to be its best, and would like to support it. But presently, it’s still not there.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I am seeing this too and I can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet. We still have adult vampires getting negative conflict resolution for friendly spars, now I am seeing "emotional control" and other things for spellcasters. I think I used to have a mod to stop it from happening to the vampires, and now we're seeing it with adult spellcasters. It's very annoying!
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    It is going to be an fight until the Sims 4 cease production for it's previous siblings had problems which was never taken care of. EA/Maxis has an terrible record at tweaking it's programs in an timely manner.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    There seem to be a few issues with age groups right now. As I said, there are buffs adult sims are getting that shouldn't be there. But I also noticed that my adult sims were suddenly obsessed with reminiscing about their happy toddler-hood. I got tired of it and went to mod it out, and it looks like (in the coding) the only age group that's supposed to be getting it is children, so add it to the list. Feels like servos blurred the age lines somehow.