Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What should we be able to knit?

Comments

• aecollins21aecollins21 Posts: 64 Member
    Assuming its a knitting skill and the things they knit evolve with it:

1- toddler/child scarf (one color, varying "flaws" like being thicker on one end)
    2- More complex patterns in the scarves, fewer scarf flaws
    3 - Adult scarves added, reduced scarf flaws. unlock social "talk about knitting patterns"
    4- hats in all sizes one color, simple design like beanie without a poof, flaws like falling apart after one wear.
    5 - More complex patterns in the hats (like poofs and colors), fewer hat flaws, Mittens added in all sizes (one color, flawed like missing thumb)
    6- fewer flaws in hats, more complex mitten patterns, fewer mitten flaws. sweaters added all sizes, solid colors, flawed like one sleeve longer than another, hem too short or long, etc.
    7 - Sweaters become easier and more complex (holiday patterns, etc), fewer flaws on all projects. unlock social "talk about latest knitting project"
    8- simple teddy bear introduced, decor item only, flaws include missing eye, ears aren't level, etc
    9- all items reduce chance of flaws/failures
    10 - Knit Doll - variations in colors, toy that can be added to toy box. unlock social "mentor knitting" to teach others to knit.

There should be a personality trait - "Crafty" that gives faster skill gain on "crafty skills" like knitting, baking, flower arranging, painting and increases fun while doing those activities. knitting should gain skill faster in inspired mood.

A "Wool Gatherer" Aspiration should be added as well:

1- Complete a knitting project while inspired, reach level 2 knitting skill, purchase 3 skeins of yarn
    2- Reach knitting level 5, knit a flawless sweater, gift a knitting project
    3- reach level 7 knitting, have completed 15 knitting projects, talk about knitting with 5 sims
    4- reach level 10 knitting, complete a flawless doll, mentor sims in knitting 5 times

Once completed, the aspiration unlocks the personality trait "Stealthy Stitcher" which reduces the chance of flaws and failures to practically 0.

The "homey" lot trait should be updated to improve knitting skill as well.

All items but the doll and teddy should be un-lockable as accessories in CAS but have an inventory icon so they can be gifted. A sims reaction to the gift can be determined by the quality of the item and their relationship to the gifter.

Other knittable items that could work with the game mechanics as is:

Slippers
    Void critter dolls
    socks
    wristbands
    fingerless gloves
    pot holders
    place mats
    cat/dog toys
    head bands (we could use some headband options as accessories in CAS anyway)
    pet clothes
    curtain valances

a shadow box that works as a display/shelf would be great to decorate walls with knitted things too.
  • gwennygwenny Posts: 8 New Member
    I would like to be able to knit doilies, curtains, door hangers, tapestries, pictures, hats, gloves, shirts, pants, dresses, toys, whatnots, skirts, slippers, robes, shaws, and just about anything else you can knit in real life, tbh.
  • ObaniMoonObaniMoon Posts: 18 Member
    Knitting beanies would be a wonderful addition.
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    I'd love it if knitting would unlock a new "blanket" gameplay item to be used on couches to snuggle up: parents and kids, alone, couples ;)
    Would be cool to have that as a multitasking kind of thing on the couch, while a sim drinks something hot and watches a movie.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • batmanreptarbatmanreptar Posts: 12 New Member
    hats(different kinds of hats!!!), sweaters, scarves, blankets, shawls
  • SweetPotatoSimsSweetPotatoSims Posts: 1 New Member
    cat toys and animal clothing
    mats for under plants that also hang on the wall
    knitted furniture for high levels is hilarious
    the imaginary occult outlined earlier here that turns into a real child is fabulous
  • zahrzahr Posts: 3 New Member
    Hoping knit plenty of stuff for Toddlers, children, and just large verity of things for CAS and build buy.
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    Please don't leave out needlework in general, knitting is only one aspect. Crochet is done with one needle knitting is with 2 and Tunisian crochet is with one long needle. These are all in the same class of the needlework craft.

You can make jewelry, my auntie made crochet earrings for tamarack for years and I have Santa head earrings, ice skates, Christmas ornament and they are very dainty and detailed.

Knitting and crochet also include making afghan's, scarfs, sweaters, doll clothes, baby clothes, slippers (as stated), hats (please don't forget the hats!) like toboggans and ladies beanies, you can make a llama stuffed toy or other toys (that would be a good screenshot for a sim doing computer research on needlework), you can make pillows, throws, blankets of all sizes, purses, various clothing articles like ponchos and shawls, animal sweaters are really popular now and most of the ones sold in stores are done with needlework esp cat and dog sweaters.

If I can make a suggestion for the team, the creators can learn more about needlework (knitting and crochet by creating a Pinterest board for needlework and they can make it private or share it to get ideas to share with the team.

There are also different ways to get yarn and a lot of different yarns to get, you can buy them from a store or a farm that raises llamas, sheep for wool etc and they make their own yarn, spin it and color it. It would be a good home business to sell crafts for a Sim. And a spinning wheel would be awesome. Some people buy from family farms so they get organic yarn but it is a little more expensive.

I would like to see the craft progress and get better, no one usually does great at the start, the edge of my first afghan was angled (I had to unravel part of it 7 times to finally end it evenly lol, but I learned). There are patterns to follow or you can make up your own if your brave enough, knitting is more complicated because you have to count the stitches. People also create new stitches when they are really smart (that is how we got the ones we have).

Thanks for asking for input, oh and don't for get the special needlework bags to store stuff in, mine has slots on the outside for needles and patterns and inside for yarn.

Happy Simming
  • DramaticpianoDramaticpiano Posts: 39 Member
    It would be really cool to be able to make blankets, but also clothe items and when you finish making them there in cas but only for the household who mad them, that would make everything made somewhat unique and individual 😁
  • DramaticpianoDramaticpiano Posts: 39 Member
    And hats, gloves and scarves would be really cool too😁
  • athenamaeathenamae Posts: 31 Member
    I would strongly recommend looking at Ravelry, or the R/knitting subreddit to get an idea of the most popular styles out there.

I would also like it if there were some traditional cultural styles of knitting (like icelandic Lopapeysa, or even taking inspiration from some of the styles and making a Lama themed sims style).
    I think it would also be fun to have the type of stuff you can unlock/knit increase in difficulty. Like maybe the first unlock is a scarf, but a scarf that is a little messed up, cause no ones first project looks good.

Also, as a knitter it would be nice if you had a wide range of items, or maybe a tool to design your item (sort of like the paint a pet tool for create a sims for animals). So you might have a basic sweater where it only comes in a single color, but you can add a design or something to it.
  • KataleaKatalea Posts: 14 New Member
    Decor: toys, pillows, blankets, napkins, baskets or bags, tablecloths.
    Clothing and accessories: booties for newborns, headbands, slippers, clothes for pets.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited January 2020
    I would definitely be strongly in favor of having toys and decor rather than just clothing & accessories. I know a lot of people desperately wanted the hanging plant holders from the style vote, so maybe that could be something that sims could actually create? I might or might not use them myself, but it seems like it would make a lot of people happy.

As far as knit decor is concerned, maybe we could have some holiday items that would tie in to Seasons? E.g., little tabletop knit reindeer or trees, tree ornaments, or strings of knit snowflakes to hang on the walls?

Mark my vote as well for being able to knit clothing items for children too, and not just adults. (Ideally toddlers, too.) we have lots of sweaters, but I’m not opposed to more, and gloves and scarves would be ok if cute, but I would really love to see more cute winter hat & ear warmer options.

ETA: it may be asking too much, but it would be amazing if blankets could be dragged in and out of inventory with the ability to either hang on the walls OR place on furniture OR wear over one’s shoulders.
  • SimGuruSarahSimGuruSarah Posts: 53 SimGuru
    Fabulous feedback! Please keep sharing :)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    I would definitely be strongly in favor of having toys and decor rather than just clothing & accessories. I know a lot of people desperately wanted the hanging plant holders from the style vote, so maybe that could be something that sims could actually create? I might or might not use them myself, but it seems like it would make a lot of people happy.

As far as knit decor is concerned, maybe we could have some holiday items that would tie in to Seasons? E.g., little tabletop knit reindeer or trees, tree ornaments, or strings of knit snowflakes to hang on the walls?

Mark my vote as well for being able to knit clothing items for children too, and not just adults. (Ideally toddlers, too.) we have lots of sweaters, but I’m not opposed to more, and gloves and scarves would be ok if cute, but I would really love to see more cute winter hat & ear warmer options.

ETA: it may be asking too much, but it would be amazing if blankets could be dragged in and out of inventory with the ability to either hang on the walls OR place on furniture OR wear over one’s shoulders.
    Oh same. I rather have it focused on Game play and build mode over just CAS. Also hope it isn't just YA female focused even for CAS. My playstyle is more game play and builder focused and honestly happy with the CAS items we got that are knit with Tiny Living for adults, so would want something for the younger Sims to enjoy especially with game play. I still wouldn't mind accessories over outfits even for CAS.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • anoxsanumoonanoxsanumoon Posts: 4 New Member
    I would absolutly love knitted coasters that could be used simular to the way the pictures do. So on a surface they can be a coaster and on the wall be art. When I was a child my grandmother had knits (that's what my mom called them) all over the house and those were my favorites. One holiday they were art the next they would be on a table with drinks on them.
    I think it would be awesome to be able to knit everything from towels, to rugs, blankets, outfits for toddlers. :) <3
  • Foxybabyhg3Foxybabyhg3 Posts: 11 New Member
    Ugly Winterfest jumpers to give as gifts. Hats, scarves & Gloves. Jumpers in general. And this last bit is never going to happen, but one can hope-baby booties/bootees
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I found these on Pintrest earlier, thought they'd be cute as designs for the imaginary friends toys if they actually make it in.
    a05093169971670ef11bf774d613f2ee.jpg
    Also this pillow would be fabulous to knit.
    ce38ad3ed4afe604a9137d65c3e1caec.jpg
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    What about crocheting? I'm not sure if that was ever asked. I actually do crochet myself and you can make some neat blankets, stuffed toys, scarves and such crocheting too.

Examples of crochet items. (The example images are the stuff I made).
    Chevron stitch throw blanket.
    1486657_10153590637655123_276214309_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ohc=ZtkZubaNKT8AX_cT_gQ&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=3be83000ae524da4df71faf497ee75c0&oe=5ECE6932

Bath scrubber.
    1480709_10153536193025123_1927475448_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ohc=Wc5JVvXitJ0AX-Os11y&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=ec452944af66a8025ddcd0f75fae1005&oe=5EDA1A0A

Sock monkey.
    1294484_10153256675170123_1257344620_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ohc=Q9t5Cjqjjr8AX-z1-I5&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&_nc_tp=1002&oh=5043bf4f5ab0de7e94cbb78029e8f871&oe=5E9039BD

Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I don't know why, and I know that other people love them, but personally sock monkeys have always terrified me in real life. :D
  • Hallie22Hallie22 Posts: 64 Member
    @ListentoToppDogg That pillow is actually crocheted. But I would like to see that as well. If they put in the crochet skill as well. It would be nice if the crocheted items actually look like crocheted items. And the knit items actually look like knit items.
  • Hallie22Hallie22 Posts: 64 Member
    I think those dolls are also crocheted
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    @Hallie22 I posted mainly for the design, not so much the medium.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Amapola76 wrote: »

Oh same. I rather have it focused on Game play and build mode over just CAS. Also hope it isn't just YA female focused even for CAS. My playstyle is more game play and builder focused and honestly happy with the CAS items we got that are knit with Tiny Living for adults, so would want something for the younger Sims to enjoy especially with game play. I still wouldn't mind accessories over outfits even for CAS.
    I completely agree if we only get a 3 or 4 items for males and 9+ for females I'm going to be so annoyed but that would be the usual they seem to care less about those of us who like to play male Sims kids and toddlers.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • s4diversitys4diversity Posts: 29 Member
    Obviously clothes, hats etc sound fantastic, but I'd really like decorations as well. I'm particularly in love with the framed pieces of fabric in the game. Beautiful knitted patterns decorations could add a cozy and warm touch to the builds.
    My Simblog* Gallery ID: S4Diversity
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top