Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should "The Sims Store" make a comeback?

tweedletweedle Posts: 89 Member
Whether it be for TS4 or for a future main installment, do you think the Sims Team should revive "The Sims 3 Store"? Why or why not?

For the record, I'm a bit on the fence about this. I didn't like it in The Sims 3 but I'm not completely opposed to the idea. I think if implemented right, it could potentially be better than the typical DLC packs that the The Sims is known for.

Edit: Oof, I was hoping for a deeper discussion with more reasoning behind your opinions, but it seems that the general consensus is that the Store is an unpopular idea and you guys would rather it not make a comeback.

Edit 2: Ok, so I received 2 DMs about this post that weren't exactly nice, lol. I'm not asking EA to bring "The Sims Store" back I just wanted to hear other people's thoughts on it because while browsing around the forum, I've seen a few people express some interest in it. I'm going to copy and paste part of my comment from a reply to another user so you'll understand my position on this:

I think a premium content store can only work well if the entire Sims business model was changed. The base game would probably have to be a lot cheaper or free-to-play and 'SimPoints' would need to be removed or tweaked so you're able to earn them without needing to buy currency packages. I also brought up this discussion because a lot of players are unhappy with how sporadic SP releases are. I think the best alternative to the Store would be for the Sims Team to release more unique Stuff Packs, but then you run into the risk of getting complaints from "completionist" simmers that feel the need to purchase every expansion no matter how much they like it. I think the ultimate solution is to add in more content into the free monthly updates. Idk I feel like certain functional items or a new neighborhood should be added to the base game rather than a pack.
Ding-dong! Your baby is gone!

-Social Worker, probably
Post edited by tweedle on

Comments

• PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Dear God, no. I hate microtransactions so much.
  • tweedletweedle Posts: 89 Member
    edited January 2020
    @PlayerSinger2010 I do, too, but I think if SimPoints were removed it wouldn't be much different than buying Stuff Packs for $10. SPs may not be microtransactions by definition but The Sims already charges you a lot of money for add-on content so I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Ding-dong! Your baby is gone!

-Social Worker, probably
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    I'm going to have to say no on this one. I'm happy with the three different pack types we get now. I spent entirely too much money on TS3. To be completely honest I'm not even ready to move on to TS5.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Nope, that would encourage the evil practice of micro-transactions.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I actually think this could be implemented through the gallery successfully. I do not want to see price tags on objects when I go to Buy/Build mode but if there was a section in the gallery where I could buy new objects made by the devs that worked in the game flawlessly, I could be interested. And if I didn’t want to see those paid objects, I could just not visit that section on the gallery.

I need more STUFF made by the devs for this game. That’s why I buy all the packs (eventually). I’m getting really tired of going to individual modders websites to update mods and looking for new CC. I’m about over it. I delete something before each game now it seems like.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Absolutely no. I never liked it in the Sims 3. I much prefer the way it is now with packs.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I have no personal need for a Sims 4 store.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I have to say I really enjoyed the store in Sims 3, even though it was quite expensive. Anyways, it wouldn't work in Sims 4 at this point and I don't even care about Sims 5, so no.
  • sinrasinra Posts: 72 Member
    No, I would much rather see them shove more stuff into our existing three types of packs than resort to microtransactions. We do need more things, but this just isn't the way I want to see it implemented.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Despite loving the sims 3 store content at the time, I'd have to say a definite no.

It was expensive, too addictive and led to being a pain in the rear with installing/uninstalling/reinstalling.

I much prefer lots of stuff packs/game packs.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Yes yes yes and yessssssssss. Gimmie gimmie more options!! 💎💎💎
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • RadioAChickenRadioAChicken Posts: 163 Member
    No I hated it. If you are a completionist buying the whole store was just not feasible, it was too much money. I know some people managed to get a lot of it through the various deals and bundles and that seemed like a game in itself but I don't have time for that. At least with Stuff packs it's straight forward to see what's what and easy to see what is on sale.
    iscQh5U.png
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    No. No. No.
  • RipleyrawrRipleyrawr Posts: 273 Member
    Hell no.
    iBVfjxN.gif
    Breadquanda is my spirit animal.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    Despite loving the sims 3 store content at the time, I'd have to say a definite no.

It was expensive, too addictive and led to being a pain in the rear with installing/uninstalling/reinstalling.

I much prefer lots of stuff packs/game packs.

All this and more. No a thousand times no.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    The Sims 3 Store had a lot of sets that had no tie-in to any packs. There's a roaring 20's town with a Boardwalk/roller coaster theme, and it's all its own thing. That was what the Sims 3 Store did well. It provided a lot of little things that weren't enough for an entire stuff pack or expansion.

In Sims 4, we don't need it. They made game packs to fill the gaps. I imagine if they started a store, it would fill up with things they left out of packs/expansions. People complain that the packs don't feel full, that there isn't enough content, and putting anything in a store that feels like it belongs in an existing pack is a bad idea. Again, all the little things get game packs, or slide in via patch.

As for future versions of the Sims, I don't even want to speculate. They may just stick with this one forever. They're certainly not talking about a Sims 5.

A lot of people hated the store. I never bought anything from it, though I watched ads for free points sometimes and got things that way, but I looked at it the way I look at any of the stuff I don't own; I just can't afford it, and that's not something to be angry about. I didn't hate it, but I don't miss it. It is what it is.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    I think Stuff Packs were supposed to replace the store, so for me, no. I already dislike Stuff Packs.
    As for future versions of the Sims, I don't even want to speculate. They may just stick with this one forever. They're certainly not talking about a Sims 5.

No, they'll move on from TS4. (can't wait) As I understand it, they will continue to make content for the game until it literally cannot sustain anymore content.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Depends on what they're selling. ;)
  • LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    I vote NO
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    No, I think SPs are fine.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Finvola wrote: »
    No, I think SPs are fine.

I think SPs would be a fine alternative if we got one every month. They are too sporadic for me.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Well, there are items that are in packs, whether BB or CAS, that I would love to be able to buy a la carte, rather than need the entire rest of the pack to support it. But it won't break my heart if it never happens. Let the bean-counters in Marketing do their cost analysis mojo. If a shop means more financial resources in-house for TS4 development, sure, go ahead. If it means fewer resources for game development because it's expensive to set up and a chore to maintain, give it a miss. I'll be fine either way.
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    That would be a hard NO! The Sims 3 store was expensive just for the points. I'd rather have more stuff packs shoved down my throat then deal with another sims store.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    If they would sell separated pack items yes.

Then maybe they would stop nerfing play features like residential vampire break-ins, alien abductions, and weather related deaths. People could by the full pack for current prices, and those who just want the furniture or the CAS could buy them item by item in a store skipping the part of the pack they don’t like and let the rest of us enjoy our random happenstance in all of its Sims weirdness glory.