Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stuff Pack vote - Theme and gameplay results!

18910111214...Next

Comments

• NcTysonNcTyson Posts: 6 New Member
    > @Nite0wlz said:
    > Pleased with the results! It's going to be so adorable watching my little granny sim knit. Elders needed more hobbies.

But...they already have a hobby...preparing the afterlife as a ghost
  • hipotonixhipotonix Posts: 58 Member
    How did knitting win over getting to play as the Grim Reaper? Definitely more gameplay available with happy haunts.
  • Nite0wlzNite0wlz Posts: 26 Member
    How did knitting win over getting to play as the Grim Reaper? Definitely more gameplay available with happy haunts.

I Realllly wanted that one too. But I feel I've played similar death related things with mods and it would just be another version of that.
  • ShannonMarie_76ShannonMarie_76 Posts: 46 Member
    [quote="EA_Mai;d-969620"]Hey Simmers!

You cast your initial Stuff Pack votes and they’ve been tallied! IT’S HAPPENING! After an exciting week of voting on the overall theme and gameplay for the upcoming Community Stuff Pack we’re pleased to announce the 1st round results. Every election is determined by the people who show up and let us tell you - a tremendous number of Simmers are showing up to participate! Thank you for your support! Stay tuned for upcoming information around 2nd round voting dates where you’ll be determining the art style of the pack.

AND NOW ONTO THE RESULTS!

Theme ranking:
    1) Arts & Crafts
    2) Happy Haunts
    3) Self-Care
    4) Science & Technology
    5) Fun-Tech

Gameplay ranking for the winning theme:
    1) Knitting
    2) Sculpting
    3) Glass Fabrication
    4) Edible Art
    5) Embroidering
    [/quote]

[quote="EA_Mai;d-969620"]Hey Simmers!

You cast your initial Stuff Pack votes and they’ve been tallied! IT’S HAPPENING! After an exciting week of voting on the overall theme and gameplay for the upcoming Community Stuff Pack we’re pleased to announce the 1st round results. Every election is determined by the people who show up and let us tell you - a tremendous number of Simmers are showing up to participate! Thank you for your support! Stay tuned for upcoming information around 2nd round voting dates where you’ll be determining the art style of the pack.

AND NOW ONTO THE RESULTS!

Theme ranking:
    1) Arts & Crafts
    2) Happy Haunts
    3) Self-Care
    4) Science & Technology
    5) Fun-Tech

Gameplay ranking for the winning theme:
    1) Knitting
    2) Sculpting
    3) Glass Fabrication
    4) Edible Art
    5) Embroidering
    [/quote]
  • ShannonMarie_76ShannonMarie_76 Posts: 46 Member
    This is dumb... how about some useful stuff worth what EA charges for these packs ?!!!
    So many ppl have posted so many wants/good ideas and most of it goes ignored.
  • crashdodgerscrashdodgers Posts: 61 Member
    edited December 2019
    People, please remember that the voting is rigged, it does not matter what you voted for as the chance of what you and the majority of other player want does not matter to EA, they have an idea for a pack so they start working on it and then some bright spark thinks it would be fun to through use a bone, i.e. a vote on multiple packs ideas, but ultimately the one they are working on is all ways going to when.

For me when I thing of Arts and Craft, knitting is the farthest thing from my mind. as things like Sculpting, Glass Fabrication, Pottery, Jewelry making, in fact, I think that knitting is more inclined to be classed as a hobby/past time, not Arts and Craft. I do not see why they could not have brought over from Sims 3, the artisan crafting that we had as that would have been far better than this knitting,

I watch the last live update thing on YouTube and I was not impressed by the so-called development team members and if they are any indication of the type of people working on this game then we are FUBAR.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited December 2019
    People, please remember that the voting is rigged, it does not matter what you voted for as the chance of what you and the majority of other player want does not matter to EA, they have an idea for a pack so they start working on it and then some bright spark thinks it would be fun to through use a bone, i.e. a vote on multiple packs ideas, but ultimately the one they are working on is all ways going to when.

For me when I thing of Arts and Craft, knitting is the farthest thing from my mind. as things like Sculpting, Glass Fabrication, Pottery, Jewelry making, in fact, I think that knitting is more inclined to be classed as a hobby/past time, not Arts and Craft. I do not see why they could not have brought over from Sims 3, the artisan crafting that we had as that would have been far better than this knitting,

I watch the last live update thing on YouTube and I was not impressed by the so-called development team members and if they are any indication of the type of people working on this game then we are FUBAR.

It is a conspiracy theory to say the first poll was rigged. Read the publicly available information for how Survey Monkeys conducts their polls and tallies their results (which you can easily do) and you will see that this was not the case. Plus, it was a ranked ballot which means that simmers ranked the packs from most to least favourite, and therefore the first choice had to win by more than a plurality. If it was done properly then as the theme that got the least votes was eliminated, those players’ second choices would have been counted towards another theme and so on up through all the themes. So the top theme was picked not only because it had the most first place votes but also because it represented the most second and third choices of a number of players. (This argument also seems a bit like sour grapes as well)

I myself would also have really liked pottery, glassblowing, and jewelry fabrication to have been included as hobbies as well in a crafting pack, but it must be remembered that typically stuff packs are tiny, with just 2 or 3 gameplay objects and, if a skill is included, then only one skill (see the Bowling pack). As for the Artisan Pack (The Prism Art Studio from the TS3 store), it was nice, but I would remind everyone that it originally cost 1900 Simpoints (unless you waited to get it on sale like I did) so it was nearly twice as expensive as this pack will be. And again, it must be noted that it was knitting that was ranked as the first choice for players. If the glassblowing activity had been chosen as the most popular then likely we would have gotten a skill, gameplay objects and decor that would have been very similar to that of the Prism Art studio. But not enough people chose it (it wound up third) so sadly we won't get it here.

I totally agree with you about Maxis Monthly: a complete waste of time. I read the summaries on Sims VIP and only watch the replay if they are showing off a new object like the modular stairs or columns. Happy Holidays!
  • Mr_MuffinTopMr_MuffinTop Posts: 131 Member
    > @Pinmat135 said:
    > (Quote)
    > @Mr_MuffinTop I agree, especially on that last point. Why didn't they include Story Progression in Sims 4? It was already in the Sims 3. It feels like Sims 4 is a step back in many areas sometimes.
    > (Quote)

In all honesty, I have NEVER played any of the sims games outside of 4 and I have no interest in doing so. I started playing Sims 4 this year, and even as a new comer who has no nostalgia to bathe in, even I noticed how lackluster the game is. ESPECIALLY for the price tag they ask of the community for each EP, GP and SP. Games like "Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles" $24.99 & "My Time At Portia" $29.99 are both complete games for those price tags, while sims 4 drops EP at $39.99 that often feel rushed, incomplete and/or bare bones. Regardless of why this is the case (mostly sims team has less time) The price you guys pay for the content given to you is highly depressing.

And as a new comer to this community, I can't help but shake my head at it all.
  • Mr_MuffinTopMr_MuffinTop Posts: 131 Member
    @Ilikebuilding

~*{t starts with babies. They don't just lie in their cots, then suddenly become toddlers. But even in their cots, they are learning, and still as babies, they soon learn to crawl and interact with the world. (Up to Sims 4 did you not have to teach them to walk once out of their cots?) Their skills should also be literally carried forward, not simply used as a points system, or vanish (... has no skills.)}*~

Yeah I don't understand babies, they literally do nothing for the game play. What happened to making them more than just an inventory item? A baby carrier strapped onto a parent while running errands and doing chorus, a rocking chair to fall asleep with the baby in your arms in, parental exhaustion moodlet that causes my sim to make mistakes during a task more often, b.c parenting is more than being confident you helped, its both EXHAUSTING and rewarding!

The time I spend with my baby should carry over into toddlers. For example, doing the bare minimal for a baby can up the chances of a toddler being clingy, independent or fussy, while a baby who was showered with attention can get a higher chance of being a charmer, inquisitive or silly. Who knows, its just an example off of the top of my head to make babies MEANINGFUL.

I have a mother who never does anything for her baby, but it doesn't affect anything, mom isn't sad she has no time for kids, and kid is completely fine with only seeing the nanny. lol

~*{But adult Sims hardly get sick, either. More use should be made of the Hospital add-on.}*~

My sims in the landgaarb household were always getting sick. At first I cared, but after 2 or 4 hours, they had a clean bill of health (hardly enough time to make it to the doctor or call out sick from work), and being sick didn't affect their work performance or studying, or anything for that matter so I completely ignore a sims illness as it just acts as a very short term moodlet that disappears faster than I can even have time to notice when playing a 8 family household.

~*{It is disappointing that every job does not have the Go with them option. It's also somewhat insulting that some jobs do not need to build up any skills.}*~

Secret agent is the biggest offender for me. I don't have to hide my identity (people will just confess their jobs) or sneak into anything for evidence. I was greatly disappointed by how lack luster the job was.

What job didn't need skills? Are you talking about the part time gigs? How my child hating sim can excel at a babysitting job without having some anger moodlet after work is beyond me.

~*{ }*~

I said: Open landscaping - I am not so sure about how well the game will run like that.
    >
    ~*{but it did run like that. I forget which Sims started it. Was it Sims 2? But it did update with an add on pack, or even an update patch, if I recall rightly.}*~

I have only played the Sims 4, but I have heard much of sims 3. It was an open world and really glitchy and the lag was deadly, plus the graphics were pretty bad. Sims 4 went for nicer graphics and better home building tools from what I hear.

Better graphics = more work for the GPU, so just b.c the older games may have been fine with open world, that doesn't mean Sims 4 would do well with open world. HOWEVER, like I said, other games do open world with no issue. (Black Desert Online {Released December 2014}) To avoid a long explanation about what instances and open world are, here is just a picture that explains what I think the Sims team should have done with the maps.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0e/ce/93/0ece9394847693c781c6f88d584afccf.jpg

I feel the Sims team should have opted for instanced housing like they did, to contain, but not limit players creativity with building homes, but should have followed after older MMo's like Blade and Soul (released: June 30, 2012) who are heavy on instanced maps, by allowing players to traverse the worlds given to them.

They can still do this, they tried to make DU large enough to make use of the bikes, all they need to do is expand on that. Open the entire map up , but keep the builds instanced to fight off the lag from GPU heavy player builds.

References for the inquisitive:

Black Desert online - Open world, real graphics pulled off in a functional fantasy game, footage is actual in game footage (the game got a graphics overhaul and this video is showing it off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X8bEx3mrao

Blade and soul seamless instance I am talking about from 0:43 to 0:48, there is a delay for the load, but its way better than a load screen for EVERY single thing: https://youtu.be/F4DlCHbLdMs?list=PLdMsBybnI8swSrhG5nj0LgzVcEpp8dzf6&t=43
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited January 2020
    Retroid wrote: »
    After reading a few rants of people talking about actual knitting and how cool this is to be able to knit in the game. It seems like you don't get why people are annoyed and that no ones slamming actual knitting or your hobby, but watching a video game character doing it. You yourself aren't going to knit anything... Actually doing it yourself I'm sure is really rewarding, watching my granny do it however, while i sit there and pick my nose and watch her every move is not. Sure golf is an ok game to play, but who the hell wants to watch it on tv? With its incredibly slow pace, thats boring as hell. Whats next? Watch paint dry pack, after your sim manually paints paints your house. Some things just don't translate that well into a digital evironment as being interesting at all. Thats why theres no retirement village pack or accounting career. Usually some of the better ideas get made into cc and mods before they get an official EA pack, theres a reason why no ones bothered to make a knitting mod... just saying. Something to think about anyway, and for the next vote. Better to get more value and content for your money. Need to think more logically about these things. I think theres gonna be a lot of dissapointed players when they finally buy that pack.

This! So much, this!!! lol
    I don't have some deep seeded loathing of knitting in the real world. It's a talent and a darn admirable one at that, but to sit and watch my sim do it... just sounds 100% depressing. For this to be enjoyable, for me, it's going to have to yield something epic. I'm talking rope ladders that can take the place of stairs. Doilies that are so intricate they "inspire" my sims with an emotion change or that are so badly crafted that they can kill a sim just by how ugly they are. LOL Now, if the devs release this pack with the ability for me to knit a sweater that's so ugly it kills the sims I walk past, BAM, I will personally apologize for every ounce of shade I have thrown, because THAT brings knitting from a passive hobby that doesn't affect the world around it, to an active one that could have wide reaching story arc changes. LOL However, this is The Sims 4, and while I sincerely do enjoy this game and own all of the packs for it... something that wickedly epic is just not going to happen. THAT is the disappointing part of it for me. I get to watch my sim sit still and... knit... that's it... just move her little hands back and forth... it just makes my heart sad. :(

The only reason other mundane tasks like cooking are tolerable in my game, is because the failures are hilarious. Once my sims skill up high enough that they stop lighting the kitchen on fire, I give them the Hardly Hungry or Forever Full trait and move on from that noise. I'm looking for experiences... active game play that will yield unexpected results and make for unique story twists. The flights into outer space are a decent example. I like sending my sim up there and seeing what random outcome, bizarre object, and textual story she's going to come back with. The possibility of her crashing her rocket into the ground makes it even more exciting.

I just don't see how knitting is going to add anything to active game play. I suppose it is another item to add to the flea market table, if they remember to make them marketable, that is, but other than that... it's a passive action that provides no motivation for the player to revisit. The biggest saving grace is that it is in a stuff pack, which is designed for niche themes, so that's appropriate. I was just hoping for something that yielded active game play instead of this passive style of game play that the TS4 seems to keep getting stuck on.

Edit: Knitting duels would be fun. :D If my sim could engage in a knitting contest with the Grim Reaper and win some knitting needles or special yarn that had the ability to capture a sim's soul (and bring them back to life), that would be pretty cool, too! No one dies in Granny's house, at least, not for good. :) LOL

OH oh, or if you could knit a web of puppet strings and control other sims with it... like a puppet master... I'd be down with that, too. lol These are all things you can kind of do in the game anyway, as an occult, and giving them to a normal sim through knitting would be kind of a fun way to balance out the playing field a little. Not that my occults have anything to worry about from these normie sims. :scoffs: :D
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    @Ceres_Meiriona Exactly. I used to craft jewelry and do shows as a living. Sure it might be fun to create a new design but when you have to do the same motions over and over to make enough for a show almost every week it's mind numbing. I sure wouldn't want to watch a Sim do it.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    @Ceres_Meiriona I love your knitting competition idea. You should add it with the game play suggestions. The way I look at knitting is hopefully it will be like woodworking in that the things the Sims create they can actually use and hopefully that includes failure projects too. Whether that happens or not is up to the Gurus.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top