Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you guys ever play couples without kids? I'm curious

13...Next

Comments

• Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited January 2020
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    You don't have to have people teamed up in households "romantically".
    I have two sisters living together. I prefer not to let, say, seven kids each live by themselves and take up all houses in a neighborhood :)

Then don't.

But if in a huge apartment or house with 4 bedrooms or more, why not have more people living there? It doesn't have to be kids. It doesn't even have to be 'couples'. Just good friends.

I've deleted entire households of 8 npc's because they were "taking up space" since the amount is very limited in the game. Why I generally prefer to grow my own characters families from some of the starters (some randoms occasionally) and expand on that. :)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

There are two in Sulani now I plan to play as actual romantic "couples". Muana & Marcelli, a young teen couple, and the starter Mele & Alika Kahananui. No intention to have children or adopt any, (or get infected by aliens, lol!).

Keala Hoapili & Lia Hauata are an elder grandmother and a young granddaughter. Technically a "couple". I plan to play them too, maybe take in more household members over time, like stray people, but not as 'romantic'.

3Junll6.png
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    I did with one household for quite some time, then I created a new save, and in that save, decided to retool the household with the one female Sim that could never get pregnant, making her look a bit better than she had before. Not long after, I started playing that household again, she got pregnant--with triplets!
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Yes, I do play couples without kids. Hardly any of my sims start a new family right after they grow up. I kind of forget to push them in that direction, and a few couples are moved together simply because I needed to free up household space and moved them out. Also, if sims focus a lot on their career, I might forget to get them started on family building.

I have a system where I use a dice to decide whether a couple shall try for baby or not. With some bad luch, a couple might go for years before they get their first child. In addition I have a dna-string on the side, including fertility. A very small number of my sims are infertile (they don't know...), meaning the couple will stay without kids, unless they try adoption.

I like variety in my game.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    I'd play this "couple" without kids. :D
    Two old coots in San Myshuno.
    Very high level in the 'Politician' career.
    WxabrRo.jpg

Their only weakness is they spend most of the time ZZZzzz....
    9TCb7fj.jpg
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    I play rotation, all of my sims have kids sooner or later. This way I can play single sim for a while, do all crazy stuff then move on to family style play. I love it.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    No, it gets boring for me if I just play couples...everything in the game is kind of easy for YA+. Or maybe that's because I'm extremely goal-oriented, so I whip through gameplay and my own storylines super fast 😅

I've started playing in rotation as well and it makes things really fun. I'll spend a week in one household, which maybe has two parents and three kids, then spend the next week in a household with a single sim starting a business and no love life.
  • TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    My Sims are gay and childless and immortal as I have aging turned off. I do have a side slot where I play other families, but as of yet I haven't gone the kid route yet. Maybe that's a goal to give myself someday if I can ever stop playing with my main characters long enough pfft lol
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I have mods that make autonomous pregnancy possible. I swear all my couples know when I leave the room briefly because they're pregnant every time I come back.
    I currently have one gay couple and I may finally have a childless household.. I bet one gets abducted.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Not really, but now I want to try it.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SimgirlSam2SimgirlSam2 Posts: 3 New Member
    I like to mix up my family dynamics. I prefer rotational play which is much more fun if all the families aren't structured the same. I have single sims with and without pets, single parents, childless couples, oldies and roomies - whatever comes along. I do have a self imposed rule that if I roll a 13 when my sims woohoo it is considered an accidental pregnancy. I know there are mods for this but I'm happy doing it this way.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    I do, but only if the lot is small and the home has one bedroom. Whenever there’s a bigger lot and lots of rooms I can’t help but fill them.
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Most of my sims have children, I find it more interesting when the family has 4+ sims.

When a couple gets together in my game I roll a dice, if it lands on 10 or 20 - no kids :disappointed: , although I will accept "oops" babies for these couples. One couple in my game rolled a 10, so they have 5 cats instead :D
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I had a legacy game once, and I just
    aged up all the babies to toddlers, toddlers to kids, and kids to teens asap so they wouldn't need so much tending. That game wasn't for family life, just genetics fun. I really like Rose, Lilith's daughter with Gaston, and she doesn't go to school (unschools) and she's so darned smart, self-reliant, competent, and interesting, I feel like I want to play a game centered on her. Maybe her being an INTJ like me is why I like her so much.

But I am prolly never getting the parenthood pack because hyper-intensive parenting is way too much not living your own life for a false premise of the child as tabula rasa. They come with factory-installed firmware.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Since I play rotational style, I always have at least a couple in game that grow old together childless. But I must admit, most of my couples do end up having kids.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    As of December three childless couples less in my rotational save. 🐸🐸🐸🐸 aliens!
  • Shira3000Shira3000 Posts: 348 Member
    I always make kids for my sims. I am a family player so it’s necessary... now my main couple has four kids, two girls and two boys, and they also has two grandchildren and one on its way.. I love playing in a big family. You never get bored and always have plans for them☺️
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes, mostly my favorite sims, since I noticed that with nearly all households, I just get bored to no end after they had children, so I keep my favorites away from parenthood as far as possible. I don't know, it just seems like kids ruin every household for me and make the sims in it much less fun to play. One of my favorites also has the hates children trait, so her having kids of her own is out of the question :D I also don't play legacies because they're just plain boring to me and play on a reaaaally long age span, which makes raising kids even more tiresome.
    I think I usually play my favorite sims without kids because they resemble me in many ways, and I never wanted to have children myself and often got judged for it. Playing childfree couples or singles in the sims is therapeutic, in a way. It's the same reason as to why I prefer my favorite sims to stay single, because in real life, I am not interested in relationships either.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • lisfyrelisfyre Posts: 215 Member
    I mostly play singles or couples. I'll have a family in there somewhere but I don't have time for babies and toddlers. I play with epic lifespan. When I play the family - usually 2 adults and 1 baby, I turn off aging, age up baby to toddler then begin to train them in all of the traits until they get to level 5 then I can age them up to child, get all of that child's training done up to level 10 then age them up to teen.

If they manage to have an "unauthorized" baby when my back is turned, I age that baby up and get them to child (at least) then leave that game. I had one that had an "unauthorized" conception. I was playing another couple in town and she just happened to visit my family as they were friends. Surprise surprise, she was pregnant so I saved my game and went back to that family to "raise" that child.