Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Tiny Living Good for Family Play?

I'm considering getting the pack, but I normally play large families with at least four sims, and most of the tiny homes built by the game changers only fit one or two sims. Do you think I would be able to comfortably fit a large family into a tiny home?

Is Tiny Living Good for Family Play? 114 votes

Yes
19%
JadeleineIceyJmcruddSageRainWillowelanorbretonfreindlylolg01denswanGageaRamblineRoseblueyblueskyfullspiralDevilNDisguise83bienchensillyangel0906Bearpal64ScobremikaSERVERFRABbanningunder_sun_and_sky 22 votes
No
36%
auroraael14Goldmoldarrudy8292alexspoom13UnDutchableyouilivefor92Colorist40overonCamkatCamelotkiwicronefriendlysimmersBagoas77alanmichael1LustianiciaHestiaSimChic1Glimmer50Ozryel249Ravager619 42 votes
Maybe
42%
Icewolfjeepjeepcatscudbums92AlexaiAlrynnBloosmooThunderbat87vessmeRadioAChickencchant86safersaviourgothprincess4everpajamajam07WinterKhirintaydevMVWdeZTSintheaChampandGirlieLissyK9AlbaWaterhouse 49 votes
Other
0%
Simpatsyann 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Maybe
    You could fit 4 sims in a small home, possibly a tiny home.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    No
    I think no. You could probably fit them in, but might not be as fun to play them as it would be in a bigger house. Maybe if you enjoy that kind of challenge, but it would require some compromises.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    Other
    I think it would depend on if you find the items in the pack worth the money outside of the challenge of making a tiny house. Personally, that's why I'm buying it, although I'll probably try tiny building at some point.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited January 2020
    No
    Yeah...I'm skeptical.
    If you have stairs, then your toddlers will have a hard time walking around. If you use the Murphy Bed, then you are kinda meant to not have a bedroom, because the Murphy Bed makes it possible so that you can have both a living room and a bedroom in the same room, which means that if you have kids, then you probably have to make a bedroom for them anyway, unless you want them to sleep in a double bed or in some other part of the house. Toddlers also require a bathtub, which takes up a little more space.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Maybe
    The 100 tile home might work, maybe even the 64 tile. There are builds that would accommodate 3 Sims on the 32 tiles but it's cramped.

That said, if you're playing families from a single Sim onwards, I think the pack would be good for the start of a game/household before children come along. And the items - beds, the combo furniture - could be useful even if Sims aren't living in a small home.
  • Options
    CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    Maybe
    In an actual tiny home? In what they're calling a micro home, no. But if your layout was thoughtful or if you found ways to work around the restrictions, then you could make this work for 4 sims in a 100 tile home.

You're probably looking at a 6 tile bathroom if you have toddlers, but you really don't need masses of space to have a functioning kitchen. If you're not doing clutter, you can do it in 3 (fridge, counter w/dishwasher, stove. If you have university, you could put the minifridge in and put something like a microwave or coffee pot on top). You can leverage outdoor space/roof pretty easily for certain things (easels, bbq, toys).

When I do gameplay, I have found that really large homes are a pain. It takes too long for you sims to cross the house half the time.

Now I wanna build a family home for 4 sims on a tiny lot...
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    When I do gameplay, I have found that really large homes are a pain. It takes too long for you sims to cross the house half the time.

This! I much prefer playing with smaller homes for this reason.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I've decided not to get the pack. I think it would be annoying to cram a bunch of sims into a tiny space, especially with the game's terrible routing. In addition, the stream mentioned that the murphy bed is the "hero object", but I'm too scared to get it after seeing James Turner's sim be crushed to death immediately. (I try to make sure that all of my sims die of old age.)
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    No
    I don’t see it.
  • Options
    RadioAChickenRadioAChicken Posts: 163 Member
    Maybe
    There are three levels of tiny home in the pack. 100 squares being the largest and in my opinion very doable for a four person home. After that the next one down would be a bit of a squeeze but I think that is what would make in interesting, utilise the outside space more. I've seen a one tile bathroom created by Simarcy123 which would help maximise the space.
    For the micro size home that's probably going to be too much without CC bunkbeds or stick the kids outside in a tent. XD But again that could make things interesting. Not everyone has lots of space for stuff. Pair it down and make use of the community lots.
    iscQh5U.png
  • Options
    Kristy983Kristy983 Posts: 26 Member
    Maybe
    As others have said, probably in the small home, but not the micro. I've got 3 people in a micro and they're all having to alternate use of the bed and other seating.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I would think not. I'll be honest, the tiny living concept is neat in real life, and I can see the appeal for a single person, a vacation "cabin" or people who are very outdoorsy and just need a place to shower and sleep. I don't see how most couples stay sane in a tiny home and I can't imagine adding kids to it, too. All that translated from real life to say...in the game I would imagine it mostly being the same. So while I am sure some players will be able to make it work, I can't see it being very good for family sims.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    No
    'Tiny Living' isn't good for anything.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Maybe
    I really enjoy the additions to the Buy catalog so even if you don’t want to partake in the building challenge aspect, there’s still some great items to get out of this pack.
  • Options
    Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    Maybe
    Two adults and a child or teen could probablky live quite well in the two larger lots in the pack. Toddlers need a l,ot of stuff and struggle with stairs as pointed out above. A one or two tile mini tub / shower combo like actually exist in tiny homes would have made this more practical for having toddlers in tiny living.
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Maybe
    I played it for about three hours yesterday but didn't get to the Live Mode until the end, but I'm certain you could do it, as the family could live rather comfortable in the two larger lots (Tier 2 and 3) of the pack. Tier 1 mostly fits to one Sim, a college student, a single mom/dad, a young adult dedicated to his/her/their career with their dog or cat, and so on. But I think this pack opens up many storylines and it's got me very excited for what's to come!
  • Options
    under_sun_and_skyunder_sun_and_sky Posts: 96 Member
    Yes
    It's definitely possible. I was able to build a micro home for five sims, but I think I would lose my mind playing with 3+ kids in such a small space lmao. So, possible, yes. Ideal, no. But then again the micro homes are the smallest of the three tiers. You could definitely fit a family with some extra space with a 100 tile house.
    tumblr_pg992c6rBP1r42s8uo1_400.gifv
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    I've decided not to get the pack. I think it would be annoying to cram a bunch of sims into a tiny space, especially with the game's terrible routing. In addition, the stream mentioned that the murphy bed is the "hero object", but I'm too scared to get it after seeing James Turner's sim be crushed to death immediately. (I try to make sure that all of my sims die of old age.)

theres a mod to stop that from happening.
  • Options
    MewMew Posts: 93 Member
    edited January 2020
    Maybe
    I would definitely limit myself to a 5-sim household at the maximum in a Small home. 4 can be done comfortably. The pack is better suited to 1-3 Sim families. Then you can more easily do Tiny and Micro size. You can always use the stuff without using the lot type too.
    mew~
    Scz0hyy.gif
  • Options
    CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    edited January 2020
    Maybe
    Simtown15 wrote: »

For what its worth, I built a tier 3 family playtested home.It has 2 full baths, 3 bedrooms (small bedrooms). One is for a toddler. Limited use of move objects inside. I have ample room outside. I have room for some skill building options.No Murphy bed as I don’t care for them.

I could make this even larger by exploiting some stuff (deleting floors, using roof space etc.)

So it’s doable. And it shouldn’t be any more cramped than say a small family home like we’ve been playing with for years.

If you like the look of the items, I think it’s worth it.
    Post edited by CommaSplice on
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    No
    I said no because I like to play big families. But, after playing around with it yesterday and building a few houses, I can build a pretty decent sized home with 100 tiles or less. I would say a family of 4 could live in the last house I built. It has two bedrooms and both bedrooms are pretty decent sized. But I bought the pack mainly because I like the items. Imagine buying a stuff pack for the stuff. LOL.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes
    It's possible, but definitely not easy. You can download Deligracy's tiny home for 8 sims:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z48UxLzyD3U
    *It appears that she hasn't uploaded it, yet. Hopefully she will soon.
    Post edited by IceyJ on
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes
    It's possible. I just build a Tiny Home, tier 2, for my family (2 adults, 2 toddlers, 2 dogs):

StrangervilleTinyFamily.jpg

It is a challenge though.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Maybe
    When I was trying the Apocalypse Challenge for Sims 3, you were limited to an 8x8 house (64 tiles) until you cleared some requirement, which might take until the 3rd generation. And I didn't have a Murphy bed, either. So it can be done, especially if you have a flat roof (I don't think putting stuff on the yard was allowed -- too much pollution or something).
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Maybe
    I'm actually currently playing a small family on a 1 tier and it is challenging due to the space but it does help the toddler gain skills faster but its really cramped and quite annoying. If you don't mind the extreme cramped spaces you could try but I think the families would have a more comfortable living space in a 2 to 3 tier.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios