Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm giving The Sims 3 a try

Comments

• Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 889 Member
    Other (plase let me know)
    I have Sims 2, 3, and 4 on my pc. I play all three, but 2 will always be my favorite. I play 4 more than 3.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited January 2020
    I've never stoped playing 3
    Why am I not surprised this TS4 originated thread ended up in here. ~sigh~

I started playing Sims 3 in Jan of 2017. Have had absolutely no problems whatsoever except the occasional Error 12s when the game decides to shut down because the 4GB MEMORY has been reached and the game just can’t handle any more input.

Haven’t played Sims 4. Only interested in it for what I can do in CAS and in Build Mode. I do my narrative playing in Sims 3.

I agree that it’s been crummily optimized, but this game requires mods and patience to run. And I'm not the most patient person in the world. Trust me, @Featherbelle, my wife, will tell you I’m downright cantankerous. But I still installed NRAAS Debug Enabler, Error Trap and that cut down on the error related shutdowns considerably (for those of you who are complaining about shutdowns).

Just so you know I’m the type that takes a baseball bat to my computer when it annoys me too much so “no excuses”. Get NRAAS and try it again if error-related shutdowns is your only complaint.

NRAAS OVERWATCH
    NFAAS ERROR-TRAP

and just for good measure

NRAAS DEBUG ENABLER

Along with NRAAS MASTER CONTROLLER; they’re the only mods you need to get a smooth running game with a modern system. Sure you’ll get Error 12 out of memory errors but that’s EA’s fault. You ain’t impatient till you’ve done a Louisville Slugger deactivation to your computer you haven’t reached my level of impatience.

PS: yes it was an aluminum Louisville Slugger.

WTLBBO520B3.jpg

Yes; it was satisfying. Thar was in 1997, I’ve got a better handle on it now...oh wait my laptop back in 2013 got the phonebook rip and tossed out the window...so maybe not. Since then my electronics have worked till they’ve given up the ghost permanently. No more blue screens of death. My electronics work until they die.
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I have everything ready to play sims 3!! I never played before because years ago I had a crappy laptop and didn't know anything about anything or how to fix the sims3 and it kept crashing on me until I gave up.

Now that I'm old enough and brought myself a good pc, I tried out the base game again not long ago and enjoyed it. I wanted to go back and forth between sims 3 and 4 but I don't know how people do it. I'm so invested in my sims4 household and characters right now, and I'm enjoying it because I play as the master storyteller. I don't know when I will get a chance to play 3 but it's on my to do list.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    I played it on console and did not like it. I hear it is better on PC.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    edited January 2020
    I lost the ability to play Sims 3 (and 2). So then I started playing Sims 4 nearly 5 years into it's run. I am getting into it and enjoying it now that it has more stuff. But, I have to be honest and say I'd go back to the others if I could.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • MKSizzleMKSizzle Posts: 557 Member
    I am one of those people who are always like 10 years behind everyone else so it took me a while to even switch over to 3 from 2. I am so glad I did because I love the game. I have *seen* 4 because my niece plays it and from what I have seen, I am just not interested. I think I will stick with 3 for as long as it remains the best Sims game out there, (Here's hoping for a better Sims 5)
    The Palmer Legacy -- Generation 1

It all started with Zack & Blair....

• CheetahAlyssaCheetahAlyssa Posts: 345 Member
    I've tried 3 and i like it more than 4
    I feel the same way. I can barely get through a sim week without getting bored with the gameplay in the Sims 4, while in the Sims 3 I could play for hours on end. However, I still barely play the Sims 3 because the graphics and CAS are so much worse than the Sims 4. I just wish we could get a game with the gameplay of the Sims 3 and the graphics/CAS.
    A Part Of The Journey Is The End
    original.gif
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    A bit of feedback from my small play of today:
    - cas has fewer options but anyway enough for me, as i don't spend much time on it;
    - i like having 5 traits;
    - aspiration has a big goal, not smaller ones that basically lead my experience but become somehow tedious;
    - i actually enjoyed small things like how sims have to recicle the newspaper, do the bed, how brushing teeth raises hygiene, when you go for leftovers you can choose which leftover you wanna eat without opening the fridge...
    - much more mature game: my sim's aspiration is gold digger :) my sim felt attracted to an older guy and they made out :lol: ...
    - opportunities, the newspaper itself...
    - sliders for lifespan
    - and the game is running really smooth in my recent laptop, with sims 4 and all dlc also installed.

For now it was a great experience. Im going back to it tomorrow :)
    I feel the same way. I can barely get through a sim week without getting bored with the gameplay in the Sims 4, while in the Sims 3 I could play for hours on end. However, I still barely play the Sims 3 because the graphics and CAS are so much worse than the Sims 4. I just wish we could get a game with the gameplay of the Sims 3 and the graphics/CAS.

Im starting to think that i can live with worse graphics. I just miss so much when i played sims for hours and family had to pull me away :lol: today ive enjoyed my play a lot.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I never stopped playing 3 but I have tried Sims 4 and while there are a few thing I love about Sims 4, Sims 3 is better for me personally. If I could find a mod to do away with cellphones completely it'd be even closer to perfect.

I like that I can edit almost everything because I usually dislike the colors and textures of certain things and the default swatches EA has. I like that I can demolish part, half, most or the complete town and place lots wherever. I like that it's easier not to be in a modern day society but rather a time I prefer. CAW means that for as long as their are world builders building there will always be new places to discover and for my sims to live in so I'm not just relying on EA. I prefer the art style of 3 way more than the cartoonish style of 4 and most importantly the sims have better personalities to me in Sims 3. It has more pros than cons and with it not being the worked on anymore I can use mods to finally have more sims in my households because before I knew I would screw up and update with mods installed.

I'm actually about to load up Sims 3 right now. :grin:
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    I play both TS3 and TS4 and to put things in perspective...

With TS3, I install CC, mods to give me control over how the game plays out and functions, and mods to help keep it stable. Basically, NRaas and its modules. I do not install mods that add gameplay and things to do.

With TS4, I install CC, mods to give me control over how the game plays out, and mods that add gameplay and things to do.

In many ways, I prefer TS3 because I can create a gameplay plan that will give me months of things to do. Thanks to NRaas, I have a Sim that will complete all of the many Lifetime Wishes in the game, he will romance numerous female Sims which adds fun and drama, he will max out all of the fun careers, explore all dungeons, become all occults, own all buildings in every single town, etc... even without NRaas, I can still do plenty within the game. With TS4, I had to install mods to keep me interested in the game and I use plenty. If TS4 did not allow mods at all, I would not be playing this game.

That being said, the modding community has saved TS4 for me and the developers did do a good job with the graphics, the animation, the character customization... (minus the lack of a color wheel). But without its community, TS4, to me, is nothing. And I say this while playing TS3 right now.
  • fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    You left out a category: Never stopped playing 3. Tried 4 (while still playing 3). Stopped playing 4.

TS3: yes, if you play without mods such as those from NRaas, it will lag and it will crash. Also, many of EA's worlds had routing problems, hence more lag, but these have been fixed by modders. Also, lots of very playable (small and medium) custom worlds available so less stress on your computer.

TS4: no open world. No CAW. Sims had over exaggerated animations, manic multi-tasking, and weird behavior such as happy in one room, go into another, instantly sad, then back to first room, instantly happy again. I know some people just like to watch, fish bowl style, but I'm a control freak and felt I had very little influence on Sims' behavior. Graphics seemed too cartoonish for my taste. Teens the same height as adults??? Streams of Sims going by the house with no purpose but to go by the house; in TS3 passers-by actually have a destination. Etc., etc., etc.......

When you get TS3 working it is vastly more fun than TS4.

Firby nurbs!
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    fxchrfxchr wrote: »
    You left out a category: Never stopped playing 3. Tried 4 (while still playing 3). Stopped playing 4.

TS3: yes, if you play without mods such as those from NRaas, it will lag and it will crash. Also, many of EA's worlds had routing problems, hence more lag, but these have been fixed by modders. Also, lots of very playable (small and medium) custom worlds available so less stress on your computer.

TS4: no open world. No CAW. Sims had over exaggerated animations, manic multi-tasking, and weird behavior such as happy in one room, go into another, instantly sad, then back to first room, instantly happy again. I know some people just like to watch, fish bowl style, but I'm a control freak and felt I had very little influence on Sims' behavior. Graphics seemed too cartoonish for my taste. Teens the same height as adults??? Streams of Sims going by the house with no purpose but to go by the house; in TS3 passers-by actually have a destination. Etc., etc., etc.......

When you get TS3 working it is vastly more fun than TS4.

Thanks for the info about the mods
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    I've never stopped playing the Sims 3! I tried 4 and at first didn't like it, but Jungle Adventure, Strangerville and especially Island Living made me love it. But in the Sims 4 I mostly enjoy playing a YA single sim. For large households and especially for generational play I need TS3. I agree with the personality issue - I don't like how the emotions override traits in TS4, because there is such a limited amount of emotions it does make all sims seem the same.
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    edited January 2020
    I voted "I've never stoped stopped playing 3", but it didn't seem to register properly for some unknown reason... (my avatar doesn't show up among all the others below the red bar)

I own the Sims 4 base game (bought it on a sale a couple of years after it's release), and have tried to play it several times, but it's just not my cup of tea, which is why I'll stick with Sims 3.
  • TM3305TM3305 Posts: 46 Member
    I’ve been playing The Sims 2 for the last few years, then last year I suddenly decided I wanted to play the sims 3 and ordered it on amazon.
    As a feedback of my experience, i must say it will be hard to make me come back to sims 4. Sims 3 without lagging is very superior for a legacy player as me.
  • meljonesmeljones Posts: 45 Member
    I totally didn't like sims 3 when it first came out. It took until Supernatural for me to really get into it but I still liked sims 2 best. When I got 3 installed on my latest computer I have not been able to stop playing. It is far from perfect but it is so much fun and there is so much in this game I haven't even tried. I have all XPs and SPs except the gaggy one, and a whole lot of store content so I will be playing 3 as long as possible.
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited January 2020
    I played TS3 when it first came out and even after TS4 came out since I felt 4 was barely a proper sims game at launch. However after a few packs and the toddler update came out I decided to play it. Honestly I found 4 fun for the first time and stopped playing 3 for a few years. After many retarts I'm on my 5th generation in Sims 4 and am still not having any lag issues like I had in TS3. But I have realised that the life stages I enjoy playing (toddlers and children and teens) are missing out completely from TS4 as there is barely anything for them to do. Even with Parenthood.

I decided to reinstall TS3 a few days ago and after installing it with so many mods (new UI color, new skill gaining color and grid updates as well as heaps of gameplay mods) I am having so much fun in TS3!! Generations makes my favorite life stages so so SO fun to play. I never felt like I could do everything in TS3 because there is so much to do and I am loving TS3 again at the moment. I still feel like I have barely scratched the surface and I've been playing TS3 on and off for about 11 years now.
    sam123 wrote: »
    I played TS3 when it first came out and even after TS4 came out since I felt 4 was barely a proper sims game at launch. However after a few packs and the toddler update came out I decided to play it. Honestly I found 4 fun for the first time and stopped playing 3 for a few years. After many retarts I'm on my 5th generation in Sims 4 and am still not having any lag issues like I had in TS3. But I have realised that the life stages I enjoy playing (toddlers and children and teens) are missing out completely from TS4 as there is barely anything for them to do. Even with Parenthood.

I decided to reinstall TS3 a few days ago and after installing it with so many mods (new UI color, new skill gaining color and grid updates as well as heaps of gameplay mods) I am having so much fun in TS3!! Generations makes my favorite life stages so so SO fun to play. I never felt like I could do everything in TS3 because there is so much to do and I am loving TS3 again at the moment. I still feel like I have barely scratched the surface and I've been playing TS3 on and off for about 11 years now.

Oh so do i!! In sims 4 i was restarting over and over because i got completelly bored after one or two sim weeks. With 3 i'm having so much fun! I only have generations, late night and seasons. @sam123 what other expansions you recomend me? :)
    telmarina wrote: »
    sam123 wrote: »

Oh so do i!! In sims 4 i was restarting over and over because i got completelly bored after one or two sim weeks. With 3 i'm having so much fun! I only have generations, late night and seasons. @sam123 what other expansions you recomend me? :)

Yay I’m happy you’re enjoying it. Honestly it’s a really hard choice because I found all the expansions fun except for into the future.

World Adventures is amazing if you love travelling. It comes with 3 new vacation worlds so you can take your sims on holidays there. You can also complete quests which are so fun to increase your visa level which allows you to stay longer or even buy a vacation home there! I recommend this if you love travelling.

Ambitions allows your sims to have active jobs so you can play as a private investigator, firefighter, ghost hunter, architect and stylist etc. I find this EP quite fun! There’s also laundry and some other small things to do. I recommend this if you want some more control in your sims jobs.

Showtime is similar to late night and a bit of ambitions. You have 3 new active professions that have to do with being a star. You can be a famous singer, acrobat and magician. I really enjoy this EP too it’s very creative. I love working towards becoming a really popular singer and perform at massive stadiums.

Pets is awesome if you love having pets. It’s more then cats dogs and horses it has also has tonnes of small animal pets too. Like many different birds, hamsters, snakes, turtles, etc. this is the best pets pack of any sims game.

University Life is so awesome and adds heaps more for you to do and just enhances your sims lives when they age up from a teenager! I recommend this one as well!

Supernatural is really fun too if you love playing with different occult’s like werewolves vampires witches and fairies.

Island paradise is kind of fun too I guess but the lag makes it unplayable.

Into the future is so boring for me I don’t like it at all.

Generations and seasons are my all time favourite packs though!
    @sam123 - I just bought the ITF EP for the useful items not so much the gameplay AS i hardly bother going into the future. I find the soil rugs useful for my apocalypse games.
    Screenshot-50.jpg
    After all, you can’t grow anything outdoors with the risk of radiation poisoning.
    Screenshot-337.jpg
    Not too fun when Sunset Valley gets hit with a 850KT nuke.
    Screenshot-127_nuke2.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • JemkatkJemkatk Posts: 199 Member
    Sims 3 is my favorite. I've been playing the sims since sims 1 and 3 to me is the best installation. I had trouble with it when I had lower end computers, but now that I have a higher end laptop.. it runs amazingly. Yes I had to do and install some things to get it running but so what? On the sims subreddit, people have just as many issues with 4.
    Game loadup takes about 3-4 minutes. I don't have a ton of cc anymore except nraas to keep my game clean.. but I do own all the store content.
    I've been playing 3 since it came out, and I STILL haven't done everything there is to do.
    Sims 4 just seems so hollow and plastic that I can't get into it.. everything is too easy and dumbed down.
    I'll probably still play 3 even after 5 comes out.
    @sam123 - I just bought the ITF EP for the useful items not so much the gameplay AS i hardly bother going into the future. I find the soil rugs useful for my apocalypse games.
    Screenshot-50.jpg
    After all, you can’t grow anything outdoors with the risk of radiation poisoning.
    Screenshot-337.jpg
    Not too fun when Sunset Valley gets hit with a 850KT nuke.
    Screenshot-127_nuke2.jpg

Omg I love that!
    @sam123, there is a dystopian sky mod, which I used for image #2. https://brntwaffles.tumblr.com/post/88241782492/dystopian-lighting-mod-heavily-requested-and

My nuclear explosion shot of Sunset Valley was created by me as a Photoshop Edit. As a real-world photographer, I have to know my Photoshop. And I couldn’t play Sunset Valley as an apocalypse without showing it actually getting nuked.

The world I actually used post-nuclear attack is a heavily modified world called Les Sims 3 Sunset Died.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://simcookie.com/les-sims-3-sunset-died-officiel/&xid=17259,15700021,15700186,15700191,15700256,15700259,15700262,15700265,15700271&usg=ALkJrhiqJAc1ICHEhfAedbBxbiGGkV73lw

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9a1ya927f6w7h9z/Sims3SunsetDied.7z/file

GYZ6Ak9.png