Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm giving The Sims 3 a try

texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
I've recently answered a thread here about being a restarter (someone that just starts over and over and can't keep a game going). That made me think a lot. I was always a generational/legacy player. In sims 3 i went easily on one save to the 6th, 7th generation, although i've never reached the goal of 10 generations. But now, in sims 4, i can't. I get to the 2nd generation and im fed. I think this is because sims are just all the same. I always randomize traits (even before the official randomizer existed) and they don't change. I need to be constantly imposing rules to each sim. But its just not the same. In sims 3 sim's lifes unfolded because they had their own dreams and traits that actually influenced their behaviour. They felt romantically atracted to some sims in detriment of others.. it was more umpredictable, more interesting.

So, i'm right now reinstalling sims 3 (which i don't play for years and years and i promise to give feedback here :)

Who else felt compelled to give The Sims 3 a try after so many years?

I'm giving The Sims 3 a try 129 votes

I've never stoped playing 3
51%
nickibitswardGoldmoldarEmily4331carlystur03Jessa_DakkarColorist40CamkatGraceyManorDESERTFLOWER1981ilovejewel17SurrealAnmirlaJessabeansdragonfreakApparentlyAwesomeHappySimmer3zagboorulesMikezumiemorrillKaeChan2089 67 votes
I've recently tried 3 but went back to 4
14%
Akl500PPlayerSinger2010CamelotBloosmooIObelleAquariusMomFinvolaLissyK9MDianaSimsmustenicalipossthatsnotsweglogionEvie0602SERVERFRABradyGalaxyGeralt_ofRivianetney52Samlish 19 votes
I've tried 3 and i like it more than 4
4%
JoBass24usphantasmkissVivi_WillowTreeCheetahAlyssaAlliandreSoftSilk 6 votes
Other (plase let me know)
28%
Sara1010PLaBlue0314lisamwittsam123Isb917jessica645739haneulinvisiblgirlsimgirl1010MissyHissyfxchrfxchrAnthonydyersimplyzoeBabykittyjadeCharliimaiLindsaySeddon1Lemon405catitude5EnkiSchmidtgarapoes 37 votes

Comments

• Options
    JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    I spent a lot of money on 3. No way I am gonna stop just because there is another game. But, I play on a pc so space is not an issue. I play which ever game I am in the mood for.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I didn't try TS3 until TS4 was already out. I got a free copy with Late Night expansion pack which I played for a short time but didn't get into it. Then later I thought I should buy a bundle with Seasons, Pets and Generations. I ended up returning the bundle before two hours had passed (bough it on steam) because I just wasn't feeling it. I wanted to like it for the horses :( I keep thinking that one day I'll try TS3 again but it hasn't happened yet. My main playstyle is rotational, so that's one issue. I imagine it's better for legacy type of play so maybe it will work out for you.
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    I started playing Sims 3 late and it became my favorite. I've been playing for over 4 years, and I'll keeping going maybe forever. :)<3
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    Hallie22Hallie22 Posts: 64 Member
    I've never played the Sims 3. I have played the sims 2, the sims life stories and the sims 4
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I mostly play Sims 4, but I've never abandoned Sims 3. I pick it up from time to time. :)
  • Options
    xMarianxxMarianx Posts: 74 Member
    I played Sims 3 before I bought Sims 4. I don’t think I have played Sims 3 much after I bought Sims 4, maybe a little in the beginning. One of the things I prefer with Sims 4 is no maternity clothing, whatever outfit I pick for them expands through the pregnancy. In Sims 3 I never got past 3rd gen, in my main save of Sims 4 I’m on the 15th or 16th gen.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I love Sims 3 but the computer I currently have has serious issues when I try to play it, it's old. If I ever get around to replacing it, that will be one thing I will be keeping in mind for the next one.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited January 2020
    I started playing the sims with the sims4, I have played the sims3 for a while but I have a hard time playing it because of the loading times and the lag.

There are several other things that I just find so odd with the sims3 too:

Like the romance letters that I receive every day from literally every sim in town, or that sims autonomously heckle each other, point fingers at each other and laugh at each other. They also autonomously flirt with each other for no reason. I receive phone calls daily from sims that I do not know who wants to go on a date.

I have had sims who have insulted each other several times, only to directly after give each other flowers and looking surprised when they were denied. I have had parties where all my friends walked around and booed loudly at each other. I have had a sim doing things like watching tv, or using the computer while all their needs are in the red and even when they complained about starving they did not go to the fridge and did not eat any food.

I'm sure a lot of people like the sims3 but I have a very hard time playing it for a longer amount of time.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I can't imagine going back - there are so many things I like better in S4, and I don't need any mods to keep the thing from crashing to desktop. However, it really depends on play style and what you like to do with the game. I don't particularly like a lot of relationship drama, so I don't care if Sims 'forget' that another Sim is their arch-enemy, but that's a matter of taste.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Welcome back to The Sims 3 :smile:

The Sims 3 is the last real Sims game :wink:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited January 2020
    I dropped The Sims 3 immediately upon the release of The Sims 4 and never looked back. It was poorly coded, buggy and just a poor representation of what a Sims game was. By far the worst in the series, in my view.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I've tried 3 and i like it more than 4
    I loved Sims 3 and never ran out of things to do and explore. That said, going back after years, what bothered me was... the graphics. I can handle letting my game load while I go do something else, but it all looks old. Fashion changes and there's only so much you can do. Wait... there's probably tons of custom content. Maybe I'll rethink this...
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    I can't say I *hated* 3, because that's not true. I had a lot of happy hours with the game. But in my opinion it's definitely the worst. All of the gameplay is either shallow, broken, or annoying to deal with. And that store was a complete insult. 4 isn't perfect, but it's a big improvement.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I play both, although Sims 4 more often these days. I still play Sims 3 because I've got long standing projects there and it has some fantastic qualities that I'll enjoy time and time again. I also still create careers for Sims 3, that helps ;)

Mostly these days, I'm playing Sims 4 for the pleasure of playing. I could never really do this with Sims 3 - there was always a problem, or a limitation I couldn't overcome. The simplest ideas ended up being exhausting because I had to go all around the houses to make the idea work; not worth the hassle, sometimes. Sims 4, however, has the quirkiness I love and the depth of character (I think I'm a minority here (as usual) because I do see the depth in their characters in Sims 4. I never saw that in Sims 3, though). With the Sims 4, I play for hours and with very few mods (none of the big ones, I don't feel I need them). <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I tried Sims 3 when it came out and I just couldn't stand it. Remember all the rage about Sims 4 before toddlers? That was me with Sims 3 and rotational play, lol. I also hated the way the Sims looked and animated - they're just so ugly. And I hate rabbit hole buildings too, so...you can probably see why it's not for me. :D

I did try it out again about a year ago and picked up a few EPs on sale for $5 each. I had always wanted to try out Supernatural, Into the Future, World Adventures, and horses. It didn't go well, lol. While I do love the depth of selection for Sim personalities, the general gameplay mechanics and appearance (and all of the bugs and stuttery performance lag) just isn't for me.

I really loved Sims 2, though.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Sims 3 does a lot of things right - the family play for instance, is much better. However, I cannot get past the ugly look of the Sims themselves, and on top of that, after a certain point, townies just stopped getting married and having kids themselves, without my influence... which is what the game is supposed to do.

I went back to it for a bit during the summer, but I haven't touched it since August.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    That said I've never really liked sims 3. But every once in while I like to play it, until my save glitches or I get annoyed by bugs and I go back to ts4.
    I should probably just stick to sims Medieval as alternative sims game, that one is less glitchy and I enjoy it more than sims 3.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I played 3 until I couldn't play it anymore, it wouldn't reinstall. Sure, it had it's problems but was way more interesting than 4, so many more things you could do.
  • Options
    LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    I'm part of a large group of people who tried TS4 when it first came out, hated it, and went back to TS3 for years, only to be pushed off of it by the constant crashes and performance issues. I've really had to force my interest in TS4, and I'm on it all the time now, but I do still find sim personalities lacking. I switch games all the time and have never gotten further than the third generation.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    ive stopped playing the sims altogether due of other games, also because im bored with it already, though when i was still playing i went back to the sims 3 every now and then. I had my sims on 8th generations but as the saves get bigger the games get laggier.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    I chose "other" so let me explain.

When the sims came out I was pretty new to computers and totally new to games in general so I had no clue that you could have multiple sims games installed at the same time. So being an over-thinker I uninstalled the sims when TS2 came out and lost all my families and houses. Then when TS3 came out I lost TS2 progression because I did not know how to package and save families and houses. That is one major complaint I have is that except for easily saving TS3 all the games have saved differently and I still do not understand how to save TS4? Totally confused about new games and generic saves.

The Sims 3 I did know how to save and it is my favorite Sim game but it lags, so I have recently restarted the sims 2, reinstalled the Sims 3 again and have my favorite family and am setting up the neighborhood to play and explore 2, 3, and continue playing 4. I am trying to not use cc so maybe it will be faster but at least I have a 1 full family and several others that I created for TS3 plus I love to design the clothing and thankfully my stuff is still on TS3 page.

I loved making houses but have realized lately that I was good "enough" for my game building but not great, except for a couple I really like that I made (Harley House for one plays well TS4). So thanks to all the fabulous house designers out there because I am using mostly gallery houses now and my neighborhoods are looking great. But on the Sims 3 I plan to continue designing toddler clothing etc.
    Because I never did get to explore the games as much as I wanted, I want to do that now and will pay more attention to what I like and dislike about each game as there is a lot to explore.

I still think the "best" sim game will be the latest technology that includes what each of us loves about each edition.

Example:
    Being able to see the needs meter without clicking and a slimmer control panel that does not get in the way of playing (I absolutely hate the conversation box that drops down from the top of the screen, it is too big and cuts off their heads. I also do not like the control panel and wish they would streamline it, for one it has a "lot" of wasted blank space and could be better designed for what is important to view without clicking, leaving the clickable stuff for areas you don't need to monitor to play, and it could be smaller and when I click a sim and that box comes up above them it is almost always above the screen and I have to scroll up to even see it, frustrating.

New babies not as objects with full interactions.
    Bunk-beds.
    Great vampires and magic etc (for those who like them, I don't lol so others would need to speak up on that subject).
    Universities and businesses, careers that are not mostly rabbit holes and businesses that progress from university like vet doctor, home business like daycare again.
    Seasons that get better and better that are controllable game wide.
    World and Neighborhood options that are more flexible and editable.
    Generational playing that keeps track of family ties, family photo albums etc.
    Social relationships and preferences per sim.
    Life Stages that are more detailed and fuller from baby, toddler, child, teen, young adult, adult and elder.
    Vacations that have more choice to control and not just defined parameters.
    Courting interactions that progresses more naturally depending on how you want to play.
    Consequences for sim behavior more defined (like the flour sack in TS2, I still laugh at that).
    Objects for skill and fun, like the canning station, farming, island discovery, houseboats that move, scuba diving, not rabbit holes.
    Pets including horses, cows, cats, dogs etc.
    Open World areas (smallish lol) like being able to own a vet clinic and live across the street and not have to go through a loading screen, (doing that in TS4 now, its nuts to see the Sim walk from the clinic to right in front of their house and then go into the loading screen).
    Cooking animations refined to be more realistic ( I say "crikey" every time the sim bangs the pan on the stove and slams it, seriously?)

Oops I went on a roll, but all that said I doubt some of it will happen because they changed the whole engine that runs the game so some of this is impossible now. So that is also why I have chosen to play all 3 versions of the game and I would play the Sims base game also but it is too outdated for current computers.

There are things I love about TS4, the whistle song, the bouncing lama and bunny on the main screen, emotions (but I wish they made more sense) the updated Build Mode and CAS flexibility . The fact that Guru Ninja convinced me on the video about Tiny Living that he cares, and I think Guru Conor does too and that they do hear . . . so now there is some hope because of their honesty. However, corporate will dictate and most corporations dictate around profit and are disconnected from their clients but it seems all our yelling is finally getting somewhere lol, Jackals lol I so loved that!

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2020
    I didn't like the Sims 3 when it was the current game. I barely played it. The graphics weren't to my taste. I didn't like the over complicated CAS with colour wheels, I actually prefer swatches. I didn't like how most of the venues were boring rabbit holes. The create a style thing was blah, everything was loud patterns which actually seemed rather lacking in style to me. Most of all I didn't enjoy how it would lag constantly even on a brand new computer that has way over the recommended specs for the game. It was altogether for me an unpleasant game experience that drove me away from the Sims series for many years. I've never once thought about playing it again. I didn't like the store either.
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    I am planning to try Sims 3 at some point.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I almost chose 1, never stopped playing, but having not played in almost a year that wouldn't be totally accurate. I do plan on returning one day but I find it a bit difficult to actively play two versions at the same time. In terms of finding time for both and then getting confused about what features, cheats, etc are available in which version.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Sims 3 was my favorite sims game for a long time, but Sims 4 has improved a lot over the years. I don't have the time to play both, so now I only plays Sims 4. If I had more time, I'd probably play both even though I know I'd find it hard to transition back to Sims 3. I've gotten used to 4 now and there are a lot of things about it I'd miss despite some of its shortcomings (like how easy it is to build).